Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2017, 01:19   #8746
SAS
BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Guys need your urgent help. My AC cooling could (evaporator coil) has developed a leak. The Honda Auth service center is asking Rs 23k for the replacement unit. Was wondering if denso or some other manufacture makes a replacement and how much does it cost?
Old 11th October 2017, 02:06   #8747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS View Post
Guys need your urgent help. My AC cooling could (evaporator coil) has developed a leak. The Honda Auth service center is asking Rs 23k for the replacement unit. Was wondering if denso or some other manufacture makes a replacement and how much does it cost?
Honda is charging double. Denso does make a replacement. Most of the parts in Honda Ac is Denso, if I'm not mistaken. A replacement Denso should cost you about 8-10 thousand outside plus another 2-4 thousand for gas, oil and other costs.

Go to a trusted FNG if you must because there are people who put spurious China stuff and the performance and reliability is never the same though they might charge you for a Denso unit. So be warned.

Last edited by pixantz : 11th October 2017 at 02:08.
pixantz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th October 2017, 10:46   #8748
Senior - BHPian

Evaporator on any FNG air condition place would be around 3.5K plus labour and gas cost. Take it to a neighborhood ac repair guy with some reputation.
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2017, 12:06   #8749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Evaporator on any FNG air condition place would be around 3.5K plus labour and gas cost. Take it to a neighborhood ac repair guy with some reputation.
Yep, I got evaporator coil changed in March at FNG and total expenditure was near 6 k (3.5 k for the coil, 2.5 k for the refrigerant and labour charges.). The ac is functioning as it should since the repair.

Also HASS had quoted around 35 k for replacement of evaporator coil with labour charges.

Regards
Kunal
kunal_kaushal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2017, 15:03   #8750
BHPian

You can't get an original Denso coil for 3-3.5k. No way. What you guys are talking about is not the real thing. I'm sure it won't give the same chilling and rate of cooling off the real one. But most of us don't mind.
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2017, 16:20   #8751
BHPian

You are right about, it not being Denso, mine was subros but the chilling effect that is the trademark of civic air conditioning system was there, post the repairs were done.

When mine went bust, the DENSO one was not available anywhere in Delhi and the supplier was asking for 2 weeks of time to procure the same, and if you are aware about Delhi's summers, two weeks without air conditioning that too in black coloured car would equate to sitting in an preheated oven, hence went ahead with Subros one.

Regards
Kunal

Last edited by kunal_kaushal : 11th October 2017 at 16:29.
kunal_kaushal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2017, 00:58   #8752
SAS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunal_kaushal View Post
Yep, I got evaporator coil changed in March at FNG and total expenditure was near 6 k (3.5 k for the coil, 2.5 k for the refrigerant and labour charges.). The ac is functioning as it should since the repair.

Also HASS had quoted around 35 k for replacement of evaporator coil with labour charges.

Regards
Kunal
Thanks.. Im in Mumbai. I tried couple shops, they were unable to locate. finally called Shetty Motors (Opera House). They have some malaysian brand available. I would prefer Subros any day above any malaysian brand. Any idea where to get them in Mumbai?

Also yes, Honda is a loot. Realized that they don't care for their customers and are rather bureaucratic. Also the honda service centers just wait for a gullible customer facing an issue: initially those idiots asked me to replace my condensor coil as well. I then went there personally and asked them to test everything in front of me. They then claimed only the evaporator had an issue and the consensor coil had a "few bent fins" and that I will not get the cooling as original in the afternoon heat. I told those guys to take a walk.. what a bunch of scum. Wish to complain to Honda (if anybody knows, do let me know how to). BTW, the leak testing was done at Solitaire Honda, Borivali.
Old 12th October 2017, 13:00   #8753
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks.. Im in Mumbai. I tried couple shops, they were unable to locate. finally called Shetty Motors (Opera House). They have some malaysian brand available. I would prefer Subros any day above any malaysian brand. Any idea where to get them in Mumbai?
Shetty is not the only guy. There are more than half a dozen out there who are good. Some time and energy to roam around till you get the preferred one will pay off.

P.S.- Shetty also doesn't stock the whole world. He has 3-4 guys there calling other shops in real time for stuff they don't have themselves. You'll see it if you go to the store anytime. It's how these guys do the job there.

Last edited by pixantz : 12th October 2017 at 13:01.
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2017, 00:28   #8754
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Also yes, Honda is a loot. Realized that they don't care for their customers and are rather bureaucratic. Also the honda service centers just wait for a gullible customer facing an issue: initially those idiots asked me to replace my condensor coil as well. I then went there personally and asked them to test everything in front of me. They then claimed only the evaporator had an issue and the consensor coil had a "few bent fins" and that I will not get the cooling as original in the afternoon heat. I told those guys to take a walk.. what a bunch of scum. Wish to complain to Honda (if anybody knows, do let me know how to). BTW, the leak testing was done at Solitaire Honda, Borivali.
My Civics coil has been replaced just recently. 6.7k damage. Cooling is good enough. I keep AC max at 27 or 28. Anything lower and I find it freezing. I drive alone mostly but even with 2 onboard AC is kept at above temp only. In fact people complain of getting too cold so its kept at said temp. Got the work done from Gomes AC santacruz.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2017, 19:24   #8755
Senior - BHPian

My 10 old year Civic's steering at times feels a bit stiff. I reckon the pump may have been gotten weak and may need replacement in the near future. I have already had it repaired twice for leakage don't know if it will last long.

I was just looking at sites like RockAuto.com/AliExpress/Amazon.com for cheaper alternatives and happen to come across one genuine Honda pump for sale for around 280$ which comes roughly around 18k and they ship to India too. Posting link below anyone needs the pump and is looking at online sources. I will bet better on Amazon than Aliexpress. The price also includes import fees i think and I was wondering if anyone has bought one from Amazon.com ? Let me mention I have not yet bought the product and hope I won't need it soon but might help if someone is looking for a power steering pump online. Might need to verify the part no before ordering in case.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-amzon_civic_pump.jpg

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 19th October 2017 at 19:42.
Old 22nd October 2017, 15:33   #8756
SAS
BHPian

@sumeethaldankar - I too had a minor leak. I used "No Leak" and while I did not have a major leak in the first place, after using it I do not see the levels fall at all. Here's the link:https://www.amazon.in/NO-LEAK-20301-.../dp/B000T2JIFM

I too am facing a hard power steering. Guess this is normal since it is a hydraulic unit? we have been pampered with EPS of the likes of Hyundai and Maruti which I guess makes you feel the steering is "hard". Personally my civic's steering has been relatively hard since day-1. Most websites say you should start hearing noises when turning the steering wheel, which would indicate a failing pump. As long as you are not facing that, suggest you continue as is.
SAS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 12:56   #8757
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
My 10 old year Civic's steering at times feels a bit stiff. I reckon the pump may have been gotten weak and may need replacement in the near future. I have already had it repaired twice for leakage don't know if it will last long.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Attachment 1687464
All the aftermarket pumps you get on Aliexpress etc are first copies. They do their job but it just won't be as smooth as before. If you're willing to put up with a slight whine, it's not a big deal.

I got mine for 12k and it's been fine. Driven for more than 42k kms post the change. It's running pretty good.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2017, 00:52   #8758
Distinguished - BHPian

After driving a few kms, I have a grinding feel in the clutch pedal while depressing it at around the last 1 inch. During start up, the pedal is smooth, but after depressing it for a few times, this behaviour comes in. There is no noise or squeak; just that grinding feel.
I'm suspecting a worn or dry clevis pin for starters and might try lubricating it and other pivots around the pedal. Any pointers or experiences of the members will be handy.

Thanks!
Attached Images

Last edited by saket77 : 26th October 2017 at 00:54.
Old 26th October 2017, 12:28   #8759
DJM

Civic worshipers, need help.
My 2010 Civic having the problem of dashboard cluster panel light(the large one with speed, heat and fuel) is going on and off when the car hits a pothole or a nasty bump.

Any pointer if this can be fixed by DIY or I need to visit as HASS?

Thanks in advance.
DJM
Old 26th October 2017, 12:44   #8760
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM View Post
Civic worshipers, need help.
My 2010 Civic having the problem of dashboard cluster panel light(the large one with speed, heat and fuel) is going on and off when the car hits a pothole or a nasty bump.

Any pointer if this can be fixed by DIY or I need to visit as HASS?

Thanks in advance.
DJM
Clean the connectors using a cleaning solution and refit. Should be ok. For this you will have to access the connector behind the cluster. Easy to open that up.
laluks is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed