Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2017, 10:53   #8791
BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Anyone used the K&N drop in filter in the Civic ? How's the performance in the lower gears ? Does it improve or worsens further ?
I've been using one in mine for over 8 years now. Performance is nothing spectacular, but yes it is a bit smoother in the lower gears than when on stock paper filter, and she also breathes better past 100 km/h.
WasavaTyres is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2017, 15:24   #8792
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
The gear lever boot was torn and was an eyesore in the otherwise nice interiors of my Civic. A replacement, not OE, was retailing for 700 bucks on Amazon which I thought was some obscene amount of money for the stuff you get.

Hence got one done locally by a hoodmaker. It was a 10 minute job for him and a small piece of artificial leather was used, which we normally call rexine.

Thanks!
I too had got gear boot along with the gear knob made in similar fashion, only difference was that I got the red stitching done.

Regards
Kunal
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-gearleverboot.jpg  

kunal_kaushal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2017, 07:26   #8793
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
Goodmorning gentlemen. How much does a aftermarket Petrol filter cost ? Is it a DIY job ? I read in the owner's manual that it's located under the rear seat [immersed type in the fuel tank]
I've changed the one on my getz in the past so I'm assuming it's a similar design. Any pointers ?
Is it even worth replacing? Because from what I know, even the spare shop owners are clueless when you ask for a fuel filter for the Civic. They say there's no such thing available in the market.
Old 14th November 2017, 07:42   #8794
Senior - BHPian

I had posted earlier about the brake switch not functioning due to which the brake lights were always on even when the pedal was not depressed.

I bought a new brake switch in haste and after some testing, realised that the original switch wasn't the issue. I diagnosed the issue to a small piece of plastic that was attached on the pedal which when made contact with the switch, would turn off the lights.

None of the spare shops could provide me the part and it listed for Rs 600 on Amazon US website. 600 for a tiny bit of plastic. So I decided to use a nut and bolt and it does the job well.

Attached are pics of how the switch looks like and the DIY fix.

Two things.

1. I see a lot of rust. In a car that's almost 11 years old, its natural. I come from the school of thought, if it ain't broken, why fix it. Anything I should ensure/check?

2. Also. I have a spare brake switch now. Brand new. I picked it off from Ghai Spares for Rs 600. If anyone requires one, feel free to ping
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-brake-switch-2.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-bs.png  

coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2017, 10:40   #8795
Distinguished - BHPian

I hope the long nut will not obstruct the brake pedal, esp in situations when brake pedal goes deeper into action. At least in the picture it looks like it may strike on the frame around the base if for some reason the brake pedal goes further down, such as in emergencies/ brake pressure loss, etc.

If that is the case, it will be better to replace the existing one with a shorter length nut.

Please check.

Regards,
Saket.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2017, 11:53   #8796
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
If that is the case, it will be better to replace the existing one with a shorter length nut.

Please check.

Regards,
Saket.
Exactly my thoughts.
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2017, 12:09   #8797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Is it even worth replacing? Because from what I know, even the spare shop owners are clueless when you ask for a fuel filter for the Civic. They say there's no such thing available in the market.
True, almost every shop owner says 'bikta hi nahi or kabhi mangwaya hi nahi'
You haven't changed your's in over 1.5 lakh kms ?? The HASS been haranguing me for it for the past year now. Car's clocked about 70K. Are there any tell tale signs that indicate when it's time to change or it has to be a preventive measure ?
WasavaTyres is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2017, 12:23   #8798
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
True, almost every shop owner says 'bikta hi nahi or kabhi mangwaya hi nahi'
You haven't changed your's in over 1.5 lakh kms ?? The HASS been haranguing me for it for the past year now. Car's clocked about 70K. Are there any tell tale signs that indicate when it's time to change or it has to be a preventive measure ?
Attached is what a 5 year old fuel strainer looks like. At that time it could feel minor hesitation while acceleration but that could be due to other factors as well. Post change car was good...till I got the stupid cng installed

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-sr1.jpg

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2958993
sumeethaldankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2017, 12:30   #8799
Senior - BHPian

Wrto Fuel Filter, I had changed it in 40K service. It costed some 4.5K then. I reached out to other owners in 8th gen Civic forums worldwide. For them the replacement frequencies were 1 lakh or more. I assumed so due to the fuel quality they have. I took a gamble, I decided to take it to 1 lakh kms. So was supposed to change at 140K, did not. now it is at 160K. No issues. I have been filling at many petrol pumps through out my trips in India. No issues so far.

Word of caution though. A clogged filter can strand you.
laluks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2017, 13:00   #8800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Attached is what a 5 year old fuel strainer looks like.

Attachment 1696049
I don't think that a fuel filter. The thingy in the image is the whole fuel-pump assembly which houses basically the fuel pump motor and fuel-level sensor and a basic plastic strainer at the inlet of the fuel pump motor.

But the actual fuel-filter is somewhere down the line as the fuel travels towards the fuel injector. Sometimes it can be housed right next to the mpfi module. Can't remember where it is on a Honda.
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2017, 14:21   #8801
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
But the actual fuel-filter is somewhere down the line as the fuel travels towards the fuel injector. Sometimes it can be housed right next to the mpfi module. Can't remember where it is on a Honda.
Precisely, in case of my 2012 Swift, the tiny fuel filter is located under the rear bench area towards the fuel tank.

The same was replaced by my FNG at 40K service. Unfortunately do not remember its cost.
Old 14th November 2017, 15:13   #8802
BHPian

Greetings Friends,

My 10 year old Civic in Hyderabad with 140K on the clock has developed power steering issues. The HASS is obviously recommending a complete replacement of pump and rack assembly at a price that I may not get for my car, if I decide to let her go! Does anyone here have any pointers to how I can approach this with a local mechanic? Are refurbished parts available in the market? Any advice will be welcome. Cheers
Old 14th November 2017, 16:46   #8803
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayant06 View Post
Greetings Friends,

My 10 year old Civic in Hyderabad with 140K on the clock has developed power steering issues. The HASS is obviously recommending a complete replacement of pump and rack assembly at a price that I may not get for my car, if I decide to let her go! Does anyone here have any pointers to how I can approach this with a local mechanic? Are refurbished parts available in the market? Any advice will be welcome. Cheers

Your FNG could arrange you a second hand/refurbished one at 10K or so. Go that way if you are selling the car. Else look for oem equivalents. Coolkurt recently got one for 12K or so. He can help you.

BTW is your car running on upsized tyres??
laluks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2017, 16:52   #8804
BHPian

Need your advice here!!

Hello friends,

I have had the pleasure of owning a Honda City 1.5 MT for over five years from 2011 – 2017.

But, as the kids were growing up, we needed a larger car and a few months back, I exchanged my City for the Honda BR-V CVT. I love the new car. It’s smooth, spacious, comfortable, glides over broken roads and the CVT is a boon is the chaotic traffic. It’s clearly better than the city in many aspects and fulfills mostly all the requirements as a family car. But, the City has left behind a void called ‘Driving Pleasure’ that the BR-V is simply unable to fill. There are times when I badly miss the surge of the VTEC that I used to get when working that slick MT box!

And this bought about the idea of getting a pre-owned MT Civic to fulfill that void!

So, I’ve been looking around and came to know that one of my uncle is keen on selling off his April 2009, Taffeta White, Honda Civic 1.8 S MT. The car has a low mileage of just 39k kms as that have two other cars in the family. The car has seen about average maintenance but has mostly been sitting since the last 6-7months when they had picked up a Merc.

So the car is in reasonably good condition, no accidents, clean papers and low mileage. What are the maintenance / overhaul expenses that I need to be looking in the short term if I go for this car?
  • Battery
  • All Filter & Lubes
  • Tyres (she's still wearing original 2009 tires)
  • Paint touch up around the bumper corners
  • Suspension?
  • Underbody Anti rust treatment?
  • Brake Discs & Pads?
  • Drain radiator & replace Coolant?
  • Anything else?
How is the overall availability of OEM parts in the ASCs? Are these difficult to maintain?

As this will be my second car, it will see very little mileage, probably 4k kms per year and i intend to keep it for atleast 3-4years.

Should I go for it?

Last edited by vikash49 : 14th November 2017 at 16:54.
Old 14th November 2017, 17:36   #8805
Distinguished - BHPian

It's a good buy.

But Civic is not going to fill that void that VTEC City would. Suggest you continue your search.

Most Viewed