Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2017, 18:41   #8806
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
I hope the long nut will not obstruct the brake pedal, esp in situations when brake pedal goes deeper into action. At least in the picture it looks like it may strike on the frame around the base if for some reason the brake pedal goes further down, such as in emergencies/ brake pressure loss, etc.

If that is the case, it will be better to replace the existing one with a shorter length nut.

Please check.

Regards,
Saket.
Yeah. This one's a stop gap. I plan to get a shorter length nut.
Old 14th November 2017, 23:41   #8807
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
I don't think that a fuel filter. The thingy in the image is the whole fuel-pump assembly which houses basically the fuel pump motor and fuel-level sensor and a basic plastic strainer at the inlet of the fuel pump motor.

But the actual fuel-filter is somewhere down the line as the fuel travels towards the fuel injector. Sometimes it can be housed right next to the mpfi module. Can't remember where it is on a Honda.
Either way this is what Honda recommend's changing at every 40k km. If this is not the fuel filter then there is nowhere mentioned in the manual about it's replacement. Till now Honda has not asked to change anything other than this part related to fuel filters.
Old 14th November 2017, 23:46   #8808
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Either way this is what Honda recommend's changing at every 40k km. If this is not the fuel filter then there is nowhere mentioned in the manual about it's replacement. Till now Honda has not asked to change anything other than this part related to fuel filters.
Sumeet, that indeed is the fuel filter. It has no electronics or anything, just a few channels.

Edit : I believe there is a sensor and some spring thingy

Last edited by laluks : 14th November 2017 at 23:48.
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 12:33   #8809
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Your FNG could arrange you a second hand/refurbished one at 10K or so. Go that way if you are selling the car. Else look for oem equivalents. Coolkurt recently got one for 12K or so. He can help you.

BTW is your car running on upsized tyres??
Thank you so much Laluks. I run stock profile tyres only. Cheers
Old 15th November 2017, 12:39   #8810
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayant06 View Post
Greetings Friends,

My 10 year old Civic in Hyderabad with 140K on the clock has developed power steering issues. The HASS is obviously recommending a complete replacement of pump and rack assembly at a price that I may not get for my car, if I decide to let her go! Does anyone here have any pointers to how I can approach this with a local mechanic? Are refurbished parts available in the market? Any advice will be welcome. Cheers
What is exactly wrong with the pump and the rack? Are they leaking? I have the honor of having repaired my Civics pump and rack twice. First at Honda and second at a garage.
Old 15th November 2017, 16:49   #8811
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow, today I learnt something new about VTEC on our Civics. In fact, I should call it iVTEC from now on. It was one of those 'aha' moments for me today.

It was through one of the threads on our forum only that I stumbled on ( http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...nda-civic.html), and then some search and then this article confirms the same: http://asia.vtec.net/Engines/RiVTEC/index.html

iVTEC or intelligent VTEC in Civic is mainly activated most of the time during your drives and hence is quite opposite to the implementation of older VTEC systems on Hondas. iVTEC on the Civic, precisely the R18a, driven-by-wire engines, is a kind of fuel saver system rather than a power booster designed for economy! Guess explains pretty well the lack of VTEC kick in Civic!

So, was it just me or some of you guys too?
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 19:11   #8812
Senior - BHPian

When should one change the flywheel? At how many kms? My Civic's flywheel was skimmed at the last clutch change and even though ODO is at 100k kms I believe the car has actually clicked around 132k km in reality since the ODO was tampered at time of delivery. There is intense juddering while reversing or while driving at slow parking speeds. Since the car is a keeper I am considering OE clutch and flywheel in the near future (few months down the line) but I am not sure if the flywheel should be changed or skimmed. As per one of my previous Hass advisors the flywheel should be skimmed once or twice only.
Old 16th November 2017, 17:07   #8813
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
I should call it iVTEC from now on.
But the boot always had an iVTEC badge and iirc the camshaft cover too does read iVTEC right ?
Old 16th November 2017, 17:51   #8814
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
But the boot always had an iVTEC badge and iirc the camshaft cover too does read iVTEC right ?
Though iVTEC means intelligent VTEC system that activates High performance Cams basis the throttle input, engine load etc. thus making you dig into the bucket seats and giving the enthusiasts a noticeable deaper "Brrrrrr" kind of intake growl.

But in case of our beloved India Spec Civic (R18A1 engines in particular), iVTEC stands for "Inverted" VTEC which activates fuel saver cams generally between 1500-3000 rpm when light feathering is given to the throttle pedal generally during highway cruising or Cruise Control is activated.

This reverse application of VTEC is equally technical and fun to learn and as it comes with unique technology like Variable length intake manifolds, multiple air quantity sensors etc.

Last edited by ashishrathi88 : 16th November 2017 at 17:53.
ashishrathi88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 18:16   #8815
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
Yes, they do. But I didn't know that there was such a stark difference between VTEC and iVTEC technologies. Quite opposite to each other.
Old 16th November 2017, 18:28   #8816
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishrathi88 View Post
Though iVTEC means intelligent VTEC system that activates High performance Cams basis the throttle input, engine load etc.
I remember when I picked up my first gen honda city in 1999, the dealership had this small replica of a Vtec engine which would show which valves would open whe the vtec is activated and which ones would move during normal running. iirc the tagline for their ad's went "jewel of an engine - gem of a car" Holds true to date.
WasavaTyres is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 19:48   #8817
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When should one change the flywheel? At how many kms? My Civic's flywheel was skimmed at the last clutch change and even though ODO is at 100k kms I believe the car has actually clicked around 132k km in reality since the ODO was tampered at time of delivery. There is intense juddering while reversing or while driving at slow parking speeds. Since the car is a keeper I am considering OE clutch and flywheel in the near future (few months down the line) but I am not sure if the flywheel should be changed or skimmed. As per one of my previous Hass advisors the flywheel should be skimmed once or twice only.
It's good to change the flywheel on a high mileage clutch change. When I changed my clutch at 123k, the first time I changed I left the flywheel as it is. But now at 160k, I can feel a juddering tendency and my next clutch change will see a flywheel change for sure. But if it acts up I will change early
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 20:35   #8818
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
It's good to change the flywheel on a high mileage clutch change. When I changed my clutch at 123k, the first time I changed I left the flywheel as it is. But now at 160k, I can feel a juddering tendency and my next clutch change will see a flywheel change for sure. But if it acts up I will change early
Do you have any idea what it would cost in after market? Honda had quoted 15k for just the flywheel. Will you be going in for a OE or after-market.
Old 17th November 2017, 16:00   #8819
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you have any idea what it would cost in after market? Honda had quoted 15k for just the flywheel. Will you be going in for a OE or after-market.
I had got a Daikin Exedy clutch at 82k. During the change, had got the flywheel skimmed. I'm at 157k right now and I've had no issues whatsoever till date. Last I had asked, the flywheel was available for 6k or something. Can verify it from Ghai if required.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2017, 18:32   #8820
Distinguished - BHPian

This sunday was also devoted to cars (dumping other household jobs )

It was the turn of engine bay when BHPian Leoshashi dropped in the morning with his detailing stuff and woke me up! The kind of passion he has for all cars, not just his, is commendable. I was his assistant for the day and he himself cleaned the entire engine bay of my Civic. The engine insulation sheet on the inside of the bonnet was in bad shape and has been taken out for repair. Here are the customary before and after pictures:

Before:

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20171119_095550.jpg
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20171119_095555.jpg

After:

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20171119_110617.jpg

Thanks!
saket77 is offline   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed