Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2020, 23:51   #9526
BHPian

An update- Post using the STP PS Fluid + Stop Leak, I see that the car PS resorvior is holding fluid between max and min mark. It's just been 3 days though. If I top it up till max, it again comes in between max-min. The car underbody is still wet with few drops of oil on it. I will continue to monitor for a week or two. If again level go down below min, I ll go with repair. I hope it won't be expensive repair.
pavan_hurkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 14:29   #9527
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavan_hurkat View Post
This is what I clicked when car was up on the ramp.
This is a classic case of PS fluid leak. Don't worry too much about it if you're not facing any major drop in the reservoir. I've lived with this for 7 years

The repair problem - PS issues of the Civic seldom leave you. I got the pump fixed. Then the pump changed. Then the rack changed. Then the pump changed. All over the last 6 years of ownership.

In another news, I have to admit that I've sold my Honda Civic, albeit with a heavy heart. It had been my trusty travel companion for almost 13 years and 2,25,000 Kms.

Last edited by coolkurt : 22nd January 2020 at 14:31.
coolkurt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 17:42   #9528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
This is a classic case of PS fluid leak. Don't worry too much about it if you're not facing any major drop in the reservoir. I've lived with this for 7 years

The repair problem - PS issues of the Civic seldom leave you. I got the pump fixed. Then the pump changed. Then the rack changed. Then the pump changed. All over the last 6 years of ownership.

In another news, I have to admit that I've sold my Honda Civic, albeit with a heavy heart. It had been my trusty travel companion for almost 13 years and 2,25,000 Kms.
Took it for a repair shop with good reviews nearby. I am watching the work as the guy wants me to see it in front of him. Attaching some pics. I will post detailed description once everything is back running. I have heard good reviews of this guy. The major leaks seems to be from pipe hose which we pressed and came back from a hydraulic shop. The pipe has a sensor attached to it which is restricting our further movements to make it more firm at the metal hose. Let's see.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-1579695041857.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-1579695072205.jpg  

Old 22nd January 2020, 23:17   #9529
BHPian

Quote:
Took it for a repair shop with good reviews nearby. I am watching the work as the guy wants me to see it in front of him. Attaching some pics. I will post detailed description once everything is back running. I have heard good reviews of this guy. The major leaks seems to be from pipe hose which we pressed and came back from a hydraulic shop. The pipe has a sensor attached to it which is restricting our further movements to make it more firm at the metal hose. Let's see.
So, another update. It was a very long day for me as few other issues cropped up.

The rack had a minor leak which was fixed for 7.5K which is definitely an expensive fix but quality of work was good, so I don't mind. The real leak is from PS high pressure pipe- it has a small hole in middle, no idea how it happened. It is leaking from there. So, the fix we will do on Friday is- will remove the hoses and connectors, get a new pipe and will connect back all hoses and connectors carefully via hydraulic press. I am quoted 1500 with labor. I feel rack didn't needed any repair but anyway I did it. :banghead:

The high pressure pipe has a sensor connected to it, they say can get a new one from Honda only. The local ones do not have that sensor attached to it. May be anyone has idea here how they replaced the high pressure pipe before. Attaching pic of the sensor on pipe.

Also, my steering alignment was totally bad after the rack was fixed again. With trial and error we brought it to correct position but still the car steers towards right when the steering is straight to the driver. Will this be resolved by wheel alignment?

I had a minor accident after installation but I was lucky that it happened is garage only. The tie rod of driver end broke down from the joints all sudden when I was taking reverse. No idea how it happened. The mechanic was also surprised. I replaced with a new pair immediately. I was lucky that it didn't happened on road when I was driving or was with family. Any idea how can it happen? It was changed last year by my FNG, ofcourse was not a genuine Honda part. :(

I will update regarding pipe fix soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-1579715221577.jpg  

Old 23rd January 2020, 01:15   #9530
BHPian

Quote:
So, another update. It was a very long day for me as few other issues cropped up.

The rack had a minor leak which was fixed for 7.5K which is definitely an expensive fix but quality of work was good, so I don't mind. The real leak is from PS high pressure pipe- it has a small hole in middle, no idea how it happened. It is leaking from there. So, the fix we will do on Friday is- will remove the hoses and connectors, get a new pipe and will connect back all hoses and connectors carefully via hydraulic press. I am quoted 1500 with labor. I feel rack didn't needed any repair but anyway I did it. :banghead:

The high pressure pipe has a sensor connected to it, they say can get a new one from Honda only. The local ones do not have that sensor attached to it. May be anyone has idea here how they replaced the high pressure pipe before. Attaching pic of the sensor on pipe.

Also, my steering alignment was totally bad after the rack was fixed again. With trial and error we brought it to correct position but still the car steers towards right when the steering is straight to the driver. Will this be resolved by wheel alignment?

I had a minor accident after installation but I was lucky that it happened is garage only. The tie rod of driver end broke down from the joints all sudden when I was taking reverse. No idea how it happened. The mechanic was also surprised. I replaced with a new pair immediately. I was lucky that it didn't happened on road when I was driving or was with family. Any idea how can it happen? It was changed last year by my FNG, ofcourse was not a genuine Honda part. :(

I will update regarding pipe fix soon.
It seems the steering wheel is crooked or off center slightly towards left 10 to 15 degrees. When the steering is straight, it cruise towards right. Not much uncomfortable but can this be resolved via wheel alignment? Or it's a separate fix? It was off centered to 45 degrees at first which the mechanic brought close to 10 degrees approx by fixing some nut bolt below the steering.
Old 23rd January 2020, 01:53   #9531
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Or it's a separate fix? It was off centered to 45 degrees at first which the mechanic brought close to 10 degrees approx by fixing some nut bolt below the steering.
The same can be fixed by wheel alignment. It shouldn't be a problem. The rack repair bill is on the higher side. I paid 4k to get mine fixed. But then, repairs and spares are a lot cheaper in Delhi.

You're lucky it's the pipe not the pump. A proper repair job should keep the car running for a couple of years atleast. Before new issues crop up.
Old 23rd January 2020, 12:44   #9532
BHPian

Quote:
An update- Post using the STP PS Fluid + Stop Leak, I see that the car PS resorvior is holding fluid between max and min mark. It's just been 3 days though. If I top it up till max, it again comes in between max-min. The car underbody is still wet with few drops of oil on it. I will continue to monitor for a week or two. If again level go down below min, I ll go with repair. I hope it won't be expensive repair.
Hi Pavan, so did the STP PS Fluid + Stop Leak work post the 3 days? I'm curious about why you chose to have the assembly taken apart again.

I've been having the PS issue for a while, but I just top up with Honda PS Oil, which keeps it going, albeit with a somewhat tight steering. I'm considering using this STP oil to see if it'll fix it for good. And, did you drain the old PS fluid before filling this? Any help is appreciated.
Old 23rd January 2020, 12:52   #9533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolvenk View Post
Hi Pavan, so did the STP PS Fluid + Stop Leak work post the 3 days? I'm curious about why you chose to have the assembly taken apart again.

I've been having the PS issue for a while, but I just top up with Honda PS Oil, which keeps it going, albeit with a somewhat tight steering. I'm considering using this STP oil to see if it'll fix it for good. And, did you drain the old PS fluid before filling this? Any help is appreciated.
No, it didn't worked out for me but I have heard good reviews about it. May be its good for seals etc but my leak is on the rubber pipe where it folds. You can definitely give it a try. Do not order one bottle but two for it to work. Mine was more like a puncture on a tube. I will get it repaired tomorrow as the shop is closed today.

I was unable to drain old PS fluid completely but I took out maximum via an injection and small pipe, lets say 200 to 300 ml. The STP does make your steering smooth but sealing a leak depends on a kind of damage. I am always unlucky with these products :-(

For 800 bucks, a worth try. And do share your feedback.
Old 23rd January 2020, 12:57   #9534
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
The same can be fixed by wheel alignment. It shouldn't be a problem. The rack repair bill is on the higher side. I paid 4k to get mine fixed. But then, repairs and spares are a lot cheaper in Delhi.

You're lucky it's the pipe not the pump. A proper repair job should keep the car running for a couple of years atleast. Before new issues crop up.
I agree. I am still feeling spending 7.5K for rack overhauling for a very minor leak is not worth it. But, learnt a lot of stuff watching the action. The good thing is I got 1 year warranty by guy and he also embedded some numbers to the rack and updated his logs to cross verify in future for any repair. He says if it's leaking again, he will repair or replace for free with labor cost. He manufactures his own black rubber oil seals which were little tighter as compared to the old ones. Unofficially, he said rack won't leak for 3 to 4 years now.
Old 24th January 2020, 22:53   #9535
BHPian

Quote:
I agree. I am still feeling spending 7.5K for rack overhauling for a very minor leak is not worth it. But, learnt a lot of stuff watching the action. The good thing is I got 1 year warranty by guy and he also embedded some numbers to the rack and updated his logs to cross verify in future for any repair. He says if it's leaking again, he will repair or replace for free with labor cost. He manufactures his own black rubber oil seals which were little tighter as compared to the old ones. Unofficially, he said rack won't leak for 3 to 4 years now.
So, finally a sigh of relief.

I been to workshop today and immediately started working on the high pressure pipe for PS. The pipe was not readily available by dealers and HASS one was above 15K. So, here's the trick we followed.

1. Opened the existing high pressure PS pipe and drained all PS fluid.
2. Took exact measurements and photos of it.
3. Removed the PS pressure sensor.
4. We went to hydraulic shop nearby and started working on the new pipe.
5. The guy at hydraulic shop took measurements for the new pipe. He took a pipe which is used in JCB with power of 320 Bars. The current pipe was rubber one in and out and can only hold 100 Bars of pressure. He guaranteed me that now there won't be any leak on pipe as its metal based with rubber.
6. In front of me he started building a new one with existing connectors from the old pipe as they were all good.
7. Pipe is ready though came 2 inches extra in length which took 40 mins extra by the mechanic to fix.

Attaching the pics here of old pipe and workshop guy in Pune. I missed to take photo of new pipe that was built. The car is showing no signs of leakage now. Tomorrow, I ll take car to high pressure wash to clear all oil debris. I should say our roadside mechanics are equally competent.

Honda quoted me 1.2L for complete replacement of PS system. My job was done in less than 12K. Pipe was built for 1000 bucks and Labor 600. I am monitoring the car now and so far fluid levels is same. Also, do not use transmission oil for PS and only use a Power Steering fluid of good quality. I topped up the complete PS with 750 around ml of oil.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-1579886447453.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-1579886471845.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-1579886485100.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-1579886519475.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-1579886598141.jpg  

pavan_hurkat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 22:58   #9536
BHPian

As a part of maintenance, I will suggest all to only do fluid change from Honda. The Idemitsu oil is best for engine. I also changed the transmission oil from Honda and trust me the auto gear shifts are smoother. The engine has became butter smooth and feels like the car is as it is when got it from showroom.

I changed engine mount and transmission mounts by outsourcing OEM quality parts from my supplier.

The car is running like a rocket now. Also, wheel alignment done post PS rack servicing. The steering is 98 pc perfect I should say.

Attaching old mount pictures and new ones. The old OEM engine one served me for good 17K KMs :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-1579886827705.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-1579886843558.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-1579886863717.jpg  

pavan_hurkat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 23:04   #9537
BHPian

And she is relaxing and breathing after a small halt during a nearby trek :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-1579887239832.jpg  

pavan_hurkat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th January 2020, 12:47   #9538
BHPian

A Spa for her today and she is flaunting her TeamBHP sticker with all pride ;-)
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-1579936601830.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-1579936626821.jpg  

pavan_hurkat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 19:37   #9539
BHPian

I hope Civic bought in '06 will soon need to re-passed for Green Tax and Fitment tests at RTO. Anyone have any idea how much the tax amount will be? Plus what all formalities need to be completed? Any idea for Pune location based RTO? Thank you.
Old 14th February 2020, 19:27   #9540
BHPian

Is there a possibility to install an ISOFIX in Honda civic in reliable way?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks