Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2020, 17:30   #9541
BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Hi guys,
I have a power steering leaking issue on my 10 year old civic. The leakage apparently is both from the rack & the oil pump as per the Ace Honda workshop in Delhi NCR where it has always been serviced right from the beginning. I bought the PS oil from them only and have to top it up every 2 months or so.
Should I continue the way it is or should I get the rack and pump repaired ? Can the experienced Civic owners who have had this issue resolved guide me and what all would this repair work entail and if it is required at all under the current situation of PS oil top up every 2 months or so. Look forward to your views.

Last edited by Timothy : 20th February 2020 at 17:36. Reason: change of couple of words
Old 20th February 2020, 18:14   #9542
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highflyer View Post
Thanks @sgiitk. Searched on YouTube about seat belt buckle issues. Used WD-40, Silicone Lubricant and a screw driver to work the parts inside the buckle. It is working perfectly now. Wondering why it didn’t occur to me earlier. After all it has mechanical parts inside that might have got rusted or jammed.

People at HASS never tried to look at it from this angle. They were straight up for replacement.
Is it an issue of integrity, repair philosophy or couldn’t care less attitude?
Hi this is helpful to know as I am also facing the same issue on the drivers side seatbelt of my civic. Can you guide me on the WD-40 silicone lubricant. Did you buy it from an auto parts shop or oder it online from amazon.
Pidilite WD-40 Multiple Maintenance Spray - 420ml (341g)
would be helpful if you could give the link to the You tube video also ? Many thanks in advance
Old 20th February 2020, 18:36   #9543
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Hi this is helpful to know as I am also facing the same issue on the drivers side seatbelt of my civic. Can you guide me on the WD-40 silicone lubricant. Did you buy it from an auto parts shop or oder it online from amazon.
Pidilite WD-40 Multiple Maintenance Spray - 420ml (341g)
would be helpful if you could give the link to the You tube video also ? Many thanks in advance
A clarification first- WD-40 and Silicone spray are two different items. I used both of them to get the desired result.
I bought both of them online few years back. Don’t remember the price now.
WD-40 is a proprietary item and sold by resellers in India. If you buy from any reputed online retailers, I don’t think there are any chances of it going wrong.
I first sprayed WD-40 into the buckle and let it sit for a few minutes. Thereafter, I used a cloth with a screw driver to remove rust/sludge. I tried to work the parts inside the buckle with a screw driver. The strap started buckling in thereafter but it was not very smooth and I could feel some resistance.So, I sprayed Silicone based lubricant to reduce friction between the moving parts.
It is working butter smooth since then. Good luck.
Highflyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2020, 21:44   #9544
BHPian

We recently moved to the Hyderabad area from Bangalore. Planning to get a slightly newer Civic here with AP registration and sell my current '08 Civic back in Bangalore. (Was planning to get a new car here, but after test driving a bunch of new cars, none could match the Civic in many ways)

I just saw a 2010 Civic that's apparently run only 50k kms whose interiors and exteriors looked good and it drove well. But a couple of curious quirks. One the seatbelts don't feel right. The front felt a bit less "springy" and one of the rear ones is actually locked up and I couldn't get it to move. Second, both the driver's and passenger's seatback seemed to sway a bit (at least half an inch) when you moved them. My older Civic doesn't have these issues. Was planning to have it shown at Honda ASS, but I was curious if these are easy issues to fix. Both relate to safety, so I don't want to compromise on them. Any insights are appreciated.
coolvenk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2020, 14:09   #9545
BHPian

Hi Folks ,
Need to get the suspension arm bushes changed and also there is PS oil leakage from the rack & oil pump on my Civic. Can anyone recommend a good mechanic in Noida and share his contact details including phone No.
Many Thanks in advance !
Old 3rd March 2020, 02:06   #9546
BHPian

Hi Guys

I need to change the springs on my Civic. Can someone suggest decent aftermarket ones along with appropriate price. The ride quality has become very soft and it touches ground on slightest bump. Honda has quoted 70 K for suspension overhaul. But there is no noise from the entire setup. I am keen on replacing the springs only. Also I haven’t seen anyone talking about replacing timing chain in Civic. When should one change the timing change. Mine is a 2010 VAT.
Old 8th March 2020, 17:09   #9547
BHPian

I had got the front suspension work done on my Civic about 4 months which included change of suspension arm bushes, Ball joints and related parts including the shock absorbers. The steering and handling improved considerably no doubt plus the scrapping over speed bumps stoped, but within 2-3 days I could hear a rattling sound from the front left hand side when driving over even the slightest of uneven roads, specially when driving by myself. With a co-passenger sitting the noise would go down considerably and was almost non existent. This sound was constant irritation but the mechanic who did the suspension work refused to accept it and said the suspension is fine.
Finally after enduring it over several months I took it to my old tried and tested mechanic and within 5 minutes of inspecting the suspension he diagnosed that the shocker mounting was broken. He was spot on and when they removed the old mounting the left hand side was completely broken from inside and a metal part had come loose inside. this is what was causing the noise. He checked the rest of the suspension and said all other parts were absolutely fine. He mentioned that the brake pads needed to be changed which I got done and since I was there had them paint the front and rear bumpers plus the driver side fender and a full rubbing and polishing work also.
The front shocker mounting cost Rs. 1600/- for the pair and the brake pads were for Rs. 1200/- from Delphi. Labour costs Rs. 700/- plus Rs.5250/- for painting rubbing and polishing. Here are the pics of the parts and the brake pads for your handy reference.
Cheers !
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_0481.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_0480.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_0729.jpg  

Timothy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 07:19   #9548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Greetings. I'll pm you Ghai Spares number and address. You can get it done at the shop itself, Ghai will get you a mechanic.
Hi CoolKurt,
Can you please PM me Ghai spares number & address. There is a PS fluid leakage in my Civic. During my last servicing at Ace Honda in Noida I requested them to check it and they mentioned the leakage is from both the rack and the Oil pump. Do you think the mechanic at Ghai is qualified to fix it and what all would the job likely to entail.
Many thanks in advance ! Cheers
Old 14th March 2020, 00:26   #9549
BHPian

Quote:
Hi CoolKurt,
Can you please PM me Ghai spares number & address. There is a PS fluid leakage in my Civic. During my last servicing at Ace Honda in Noida I requested them to check it and they mentioned the leakage is from both the rack and the Oil pump. Do you think the mechanic at Ghai is qualified to fix it and what all would the job likely to entail.
May I have his number as well please.

Thanks
Old 14th March 2020, 14:07   #9550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi CoolKurt,
Hi. I'll PM you ghai spares number. But I've only bought spares from Ghai. I got my Civic's PS issues fixed from my trusty mechanic.

There are a lot of mechanics around Ghai's plc. You can ask him for recommendations though.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2020, 14:54   #9551
BHPian

During the 1.1K servicing at Ace Honda last month for my Civic, I was informed that the Gearbox & the sub-frame mountings are broken. I believe for changing the Sub-Frame mounting, the chassis has to be lowered.
Has anyone got this done and is it a very complicated job ? I am more concerned about the lowering of the chassis, so if someone can entail what all is involved in that, it would be v. helpful. Also if folks can recommend the brand of mounting to buy and a reliable motor parts store in Delhi NCR.
Look forward to your views and assistance. Thanks
Old 11th April 2020, 21:41   #9552
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
During the 1.1K servicing at Ace Honda last month for my Civic, I was informed that the Gearbox & the sub-frame mountings are broken. I believe for changing the Sub-Frame mounting, the chassis has to be lowered.
Has anyone got this done and is it a very complicated job ? I am more concerned about the lowering of the chassis, so if someone can entail what all is involved in that, it would be v. helpful. Also if folks can recommend the brand of mounting to buy and a reliable motor parts store in Delhi NCR.
Look forward to your views and assistance. Thanks
My car had the sub frame mount replaced by my mechanic. It was done at a road side but trusted garage and is not a difficult job. You can check spareshub.com for availability of branded parts though after market.
sumeethaldankar is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 11:25   #9553
BHPian

Hi Guys,

A question if anyone can help me out on this. I got a Borla catback exhaust installed on my recently purchased Civic. I was thinking of going further and removing the Catcon altogether and I have seen mixed reviews of whether it will pass the emissions test or not,but haven't been able to get a concrete answer

Would really appreciate if someone can help me out on this
Old 8th May 2020, 14:55   #9554
BHPian

Hello Guys,

I am facing a problem with my Civic since last summer’s. The AC keeps tripping. I got the cooling coil replaced twice last summer’s since the original one had a leak but the problem is same with both the coils. My car has a Denso coil now since I couldn’t find the OEM brand outside and Honda was asking 30 K for cooling coil replacement. Now coming back to the problem. The AC keeps tripping. The AC guy says there is nothing wrong with the AC system and it’s tripping because the car is overheating. The bonnet is too hot to touch. However if I remember correctly my car has always been like that. The bonnet used to be so hot that you can’t touch it with bare hands in summers. Apart from that there are no signs of overheating. The temperature gauge shows the temperature under normal range. There is no effect in performance. The car is not loosing coolent. I had also removed the thermostat valve last summer but that didn’t make a difference.However now I also feel it’s tripping because of overheating. Yesterday I was sitting inside the car for about 15 after driving it for 10 Kms after 15 minutes the AC tripped and it stopped cooling. I shut the car off for a couple of minutes turn it back on and the AC started working again. I am very confused and disappointed. I love this car a lot. So far I always used to change my cars every 2-3 years but it’s been 5 years with Civic and I still love it and don’t want to sell it but I have already lived with this AC problem for an year can’t deal with it anymore. Can you guys point what’s wrong with the car?

Last edited by nik0502 : 8th May 2020 at 14:58.
Old 9th May 2020, 15:12   #9555
BHPian

I am having a similar problem as Nik above, but with engine apparently overheating.

So, I was driving out with family in 40+ degree summer temperatures with the a/c on Lo. Since I was taking the car out after a week, I kept the engine on, even when parked (with a/c on), to help keep the battery charged. The a/c stopped working after about 40 mins of this, i.e. the a/c fan worked but wasn't blowing cold. So, I switched off the engine for about 5 mins, and went to a shop. On coming back and starting the engine, the a/c started working again, and all seemed fine.

After 10 more minutes of driving, I noticed that the engine temperature gauge was up to *three-fourths*, which has never happened before in my 5+ years of having this car, even during full-day roadtrips in peak summer. I opened the bonnet but didn't find any obvious leaks. Home was a couple of km away, so I just decided to drive home. The temperature gauge did not rise significantly after that. I parked and checked the bonnet again and no signs of leaks. The engine oil was close to the min level on the dipstick, and yes, it is due for a service. Even after 5 mins, the gauge was still close to three-fourths. I read the car manual, which said that when in shade start the car again, and on doing this for less than a minute the temperature gauge went back to less than half, which is the normal temperature.

Just once before, about a month ago, the a/c stopped working in a similar manner, although, I don't think I saw the engine temperature go up above normal.

With the corona situation, not sure if it is feasible to have HASS look at it now. Any leads will be much appreciated.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks