Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2019, 00:02   #9316
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Had a minor issue last week when the radiator fan went kaput. Got a replacement from Ghai for Rs 2000.

There's been a persistent sound when the compressor kicks in and remains on. Its like a whirring noise which can only be heard when the compressor kicks in. Also, at low RPMs, the compressor fails to switch on, especially when the car is at a standstill. Any help?

Some good news too. Completed 2,00,000 Kms yesterday. Geared up for more
Definitely your car is on low refrigerant. But, also check the AC relay and temperature guage to be safe. I had this issue once when AC was kicking on and off, culprit was loose connection of AC relay. Have a good jet wash of the radiator. And also check radiator liquid- top up in case necessary.

Congratulations for 2,00,000 KMs! How's the beast treating you?
Old 26th April 2019, 11:49   #9317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
There's been a persistent sound when the compressor kicks in and remains on. Its like a whirring noise which can only be heard when the compressor kicks in. Also, at low RPMs, the compressor fails to switch on, especially when the car is at a standstill. Any help?
Keeping the car mileage in mind it looks like your compressor is on its way out. Either the whole compressor or then just the magnetic clutch coil and/or pulley assembly

Congrats on the wonderful mileage.
Old 26th April 2019, 23:25   #9318
BHPian

Can anyone confirm the AC relay specifications- is it 12V and 20Amps? And any genuine weblink from where I can buy it? Thanks.
Old 30th April 2019, 12:59   #9319
BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Folks

I have a 2010 VAT driven 77K KMs. Always serviced through Honda. The cooling coil developed a leak. I took it to a trusted AC mechanic who replaced the cooling coil. I can’t remember the make. He had quoted 3 options one for 3500 Chinese make. 2nd one for 4500 and 3rd for 5500. The last two are Subros & Denso. I can’t remember which price was for which make. Long story short I got the coil replaced with 4500 one since 5500 one was not available. Now I am having lot of trouble after cooling coil change. The car is not cooling like it used to. The cooling when the car is not moving is below average. Cooling is quite okay when the car is moving. But it keeps tripping. I took the car back to the mechanic. He checked and said there is no leak in the system the gas is full. The bonnet is too hot to touch hence the car is overheating resulting in low cooling. However bonnet of my car has been like this for years. It’s always too hot once the car has run 10-20 kms. Also the temp gauge doesn’t show high temperature. Also the AC is not cutting off when the car is idle. That means it’s not because of overheating. But I can’t figure out what’s the problem. I am very depressed because of this issue. I have had trouble with my first Esteem’s AC had to spend 25K in 2009 and it still didn’t work and had to scrap the car eventually. I don’t want to go through the same pain again. Could anyone help with the issue?
Old 30th April 2019, 13:22   #9320
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
Folks
I don’t want to go through the same pain again. Could anyone help with the issue?
Relax, AC issues will not result in trashing your car Any above average mechanic can restore it to full functionality.

Check the condenser unit. A clogged unit is often the culprit. Condenser often picks up mud, dirt & grim due to its placement.

However, keep in mind that AC will always be more effective when the the engine is comparatively running at higher revs than at idle, because with the engine, so does the compressor. In case of doubts, check the temperature with thermometers available for checking cooling temperatures of the AC.

Regards,
Saket.
Old 30th April 2019, 13:50   #9321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Folks
Cooling is quite okay when the car is moving. But it keeps tripping.
There is an AC relay which when goes bad the a/c does not work properly. Have it checked out. I had the intermittent on off ac issue which was fixed after replacing the relay. It will be located in the fuse box under the hood.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ml#post3426512 (Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!)

Also get the radiator spray washed from the inside to help clean away the debris. This will help with cooling.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ml#post4191569 (Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!)

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 30th April 2019 at 14:03.
Old 30th April 2019, 14:07   #9322
BHPian

Quote:
Also the AC is not cutting off when the car is idle.
This is an important pointer. If everything is proper a Civic Ac should cut of within 10 Seconds even at idle. I don't think it's a very big issue and mainly 3 things could have gone wrong:

1) the refrigerant was not properly recharged. Meaning, the system was not evacuated sufficiently prior to gas charging and/or the gas was overcharged leading to high pressure and low cooling. Bad quality gas could also be the culprit.

2)the Evaporator core or cooling coil used is of a substandard quality. 4500 should have got you a Subros brand, 5500 would be Denso and the original one which comes fitted is of Showa brand which could be anywhere between 10-12 thousand bucks. Very rarely do owners ask for that one. Many "Ac mechanics" either don't know this or won't tell you.

3) the mechanic did something wrong while doing the whole repair process. It could be anything like proper alignments everywhere or placing of the sensor, etc.

Personally I would suggest all Civic owners to use the Denso coil because it's performance is closest to the real thing. Its all about the rate of cooling or the speed at which the temperature is brought down which makes the magical difference. You might put your hand in front of the grill and feel the cooling to be like the original but small differences add up ultimately in overall performance specially during the summer.

That said, with brands like Honda, Ford, Chevrolet, Skoda, VW, no matter how good a spurious part you put in, it will never give the feel, performance and reliability of the original. These guys engineer their stuff very specifically.
You can pull off aftermarket spares stunts with cars like Maruti, Hyundai, Mahindra, Tata etc and not tell the difference most of the time though. Point to remember.
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2019, 16:09   #9323
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys,

Is a Civic AT worth considering at around 70000 Kms ? This is the time when the car typically starts throwing major replacements.

I have a few shortlisted cars in Mumbai, but dont know if the AT will give me a major expense in the next 1-2 years.

Any advice guys?
Old 30th April 2019, 18:50   #9324
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Hi Guys,

Is a Civic AT worth considering at around 70000 Kms ? This is the time when the car typically starts throwing major replacements.

I have a few shortlisted cars in Mumbai, but dont know if the AT will give me a major expense in the next 1-2 years.

Any advice guys?
Don't see any trouble with that sort of mileage or even the AT gearbox. The car is pretty reliable, given that it is in good condition to begin with.

The usual suspects in the Civic, discussed pretty frequently, are the engine mounts, steering rack leak, and under body damage (due to low ground clearance). The newer design mounts are supposedly sturdier than the old ones. Steering rack leak can be a major headache and money drainer. Rest the car is reliable and sweet.

Proper due diligence like buying any other car must be done along with above points; Get the service history and make sure to get the car checked by Honda authorized service center before finalizing. And of course you know that the 1.8 ltr engine coupled with the AT gearbox will be a fuel guzzler in traffic, but much better on the highways. Parts for the Civic are fairly expensive, just that they don't go bad too often.

Regards,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 30th April 2019 at 19:06.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2019, 22:13   #9325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Any advice guys?
A blinking "D"' light would mean trouble with the gear box so stay away from one which does so.
sumeethaldankar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2019, 22:02   #9326
BHPian

Replaced front tyres in my 2007 Honda Civic SAT (replaced 7 year old Michelin XM2 with new XM2s). 2 months back had taken a punt and had replaced the rear tyres with Ceat Milaze. Didn't particularly like them so went ahead with XM2 for the front. The ride has again become supple and the road noise has reduced.

Falling in love with Civic all over again.
civic-dk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2019, 18:42   #9327
BHPian

Guys, can anyone let me know specifications for AC relay? Is it 12V 20 A ? Thank you!
Old 6th May 2019, 17:09   #9328
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys,

Any used Civic in your network of enthusiasts?

If yes, please PM me
Old 7th May 2019, 23:36   #9329
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Any used Civic in your network of enthusiasts?

If yes, please PM me
Try Facebook Marketplace feature. It will definitely have some Civics for sell nearby. I see lot of classifieds in it daily near my residence radius and city.
pavan_hurkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2019, 05:02   #9330
BHPian

Hi guys ,
I have a 2007 Civic with 138k on the odo.
The car has a heating issue in Delhi summer. The car drives perfectly fine at highways/hills with 100% A/C on but as soon as the car is standing with the A/C running with outside temperature above 36-37 degrees the car starts to heat up. The engine temperature gets normal as soon as the A/C is turned off.
I have gotten the radiator flushed twice but it’s of no use .
Fellow members please suggest as I really doubt that it’s the thermostat valve or an engine issue as in both these cases the car would have gone in heat while it’s being driven.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks