Team-BHP > Technical Stuff


Reply
  Search this Thread
4,387,013 views
Old 18th September 2018, 11:28   #9196
Senior - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gurugram
Posts: 7,969
Thanked: 4,790 Times
Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
You could have got Konis, or something even better at much lesser cost.
60k is the estimate for all the four dampers, cross members, rubber bushes, and I think also a service.

Today they forgot to get the car collected, so tomorrow!
sgiitk is offline  
Old 18th September 2018, 15:48   #9197
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NCR/ KOL/ BLR
Posts: 1,142
Thanked: 2,056 Times
Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
60k is the estimate for all the four dampers, cross members, rubber bushes, and I think also a service.

Today they forgot to get the car collected, so tomorrow!
I am also planning to get the suspension done up for my car. Not that it requires it but I wanted to get something better. So I have shortlisted Sachs. They are OEM suppliers for BMW and are known to be comfortable as well as sporty. The car is still in Honda warranty, so will get it done as soon as it is over.

The person I source my parts from has quoted 7k for the front pair of shocks and 5.5k for the rear pair. Ofcourse the bushes, strut mounts, lower arms and linkrods would be extra. However, by 30-35k I guess I will have a pretty decent setup.

As of now I received my Brembo brake pads yesterday for the front which I will be fixing soon.

Last edited by Altocumulus : 18th September 2018 at 15:50.
Altocumulus is offline  
Old 19th September 2018, 10:03   #9198
Senior - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gurugram
Posts: 7,969
Thanked: 4,790 Times
Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

@Altocumulus; Brembo works well on our Civic (it is with our son for the past two years).I treat these as normal ownership costs. So are the only major expenses have been 'replacement' of original engine mounts (paid since we were well beyond the free window) and now these.
sgiitk is offline  
Old 19th September 2018, 12:02   #9199
BHPian
 
Aslamjaffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 57
Thanked: 81 Times
Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Did you manage to fix the headlamps? would love to fix something like this on my Civic too. Where did you buy them from?
Not yet. I am still hesitant on the reliability of those headlamps. The reason for the upgrade was to have a better performance, but, I guess the setup comes with halogen projectors.

I might have to do a little more research before even I go buy them.

Update on the Civic: have ordered Hawk HPS front brake pads and waiting for the delivery.

Cheers,
Aslam
Aslamjaffer is offline  
Old 5th October 2018, 02:29   #9200
Senior - BHPian
 
sarathlal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 1,594
Thanked: 4,841 Times
Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

BudgetDirect has compiled a nice evolution picture of Honda Civic. Here it is.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-civic-2.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-civic.jpg
sarathlal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 16:16   #9201
Senior - BHPian
 
iTNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Imphal/Noida
Posts: 1,241
Thanked: 1,214 Times
Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Recently I rotated the tyres (225/45 R17) on my Civic and since then I am facing a strange issue. The steering wobbles/shakes at speed of 80 kmph and above. In the past, balancing the tyres usually fixes it. However, after going through 2 times balancing/alignment from 2 different shops in last 2 days, I am still facing the wobbling/shaking of the steering at higher speed. Please advise what other issues can cause this.
iTNerd is offline  
Old 5th October 2018, 18:56   #9202
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,133
Thanked: 1,900 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
Recently I rotated the tyres (225/45 R17) on my Civic and since then I am facing a strange issue. The steering wobbles/shakes at speed of 80 kmph and above. In the past, balancing the tyres usually fixes it. However, after going through 2 times balancing/alignment from 2 different shops in last 2 days, I am still facing the wobbling/shaking of the steering at higher speed. Please advise what other issues can cause this.
How was the rotation done. Was it simple 4 wheel back to front rotation or a proper 5 wheel rotation or a cross back to front rotation?

If the rear tyres were moved to front then please check for uneven tread wear in the tyres now at the front. Bald spots or the inner or outside edges may have worn unevenly. The effect would be more pronounced since they are now on your steering axle.

If you find uneven tread wear then immediately check rear shock absorbers as they are usually the culprit when it comes to uneven tread wear.
Traveler is offline  
Old 5th October 2018, 19:25   #9203
Senior - BHPian
 
iTNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Imphal/Noida
Posts: 1,241
Thanked: 1,214 Times
Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
How was the rotation done. Was it simple 4 wheel back to front rotation or a proper 5 wheel rotation or a cross back to front rotation?

If the rear tyres were moved to front then please check for uneven tread wear in the tyres now at the front. Bald spots or the inner or outside edges may have worn unevenly. The effect would be more pronounced since they are now on your steering axle.

If you find uneven tread wear then immediately check rear shock absorbers as they are usually the culprit when it comes to uneven tread wear.
Thank you for chipping in. Rotation was done as follows:
1) Front tyres to back.
2) Rear tyres to front but crossed.

I did check for uneven tread wear and does not appear like there is significant tread wear at the edges.
iTNerd is offline  
Old 5th October 2018, 19:39   #9204
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,133
Thanked: 1,900 Times
Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
Thank you for chipping in. Rotation was done as follows:
1) Front tyres to back.
2) Rear tyres to front but crossed.

I did check for uneven tread wear and does not appear like there is significant tread wear at the edges.

So rear tyres did come to front. Please have the tread of the tyres at front checked. You can also do it yourself by running your palm flat across on the tyre and if there is uneven tread you will feel it. I suspect the rear shockers may have given up which would possibly have caused the tyres to develop uneven tread. This in turn causes the wobbling when put in front.


Also please check your tyre pressures and bring them within specified parameters. Other than that did any of the tyres now at the front ever have a patch or other repair work done that could be causing this...


How much has your car done, if it is above 50k do get the suspension especially shockers at the back and the tie rod ends at the front checked out.



Last but not least, very old tyres (<5 yrs old) tend to develop uneveness and also become hard, this could also be the factor and you are feeling it now since the tyres have moved to the front.


Good luck and do let us know what you find.

Last edited by Traveler : 5th October 2018 at 19:42.
Traveler is offline  
Old 5th October 2018, 20:16   #9205
Senior - BHPian
 
iTNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Imphal/Noida
Posts: 1,241
Thanked: 1,214 Times
Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
So rear tyres did come to front. Please have the tread of the tyres at front checked......

Good luck and do let us know what you find.
Thanks. I have direct TPMS installed and the correct PSI (32psi) is maintained most of the time. Car has done around 48K kms, 9 years old and is just used as a weekend car though it is passionately maintained. The tyres (Michelin PS3) are 6 years old but had run only 20K kms. I will have the shockers and tie rods checked at my FNG soon.
iTNerd is offline  
Old 5th October 2018, 20:36   #9206
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,133
Thanked: 1,900 Times
Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
Thanks. I have direct TPMS installed and the correct PSI (32psi) is maintained most of the time. Car has done around 48K kms, 9 years old and is just used as a weekend car though it is passionately maintained. The tyres (Michelin PS3) are 6 years old but had run only 20K kms. I will have the shockers and tie rods checked at my FNG soon.

Six years for Michelin is quite a lot. I had Michelin's which went really hard and developed minute hairline cracks after 50K and 5 years. Please get the tyres checked for any signs of fatigue or hairline cracks along the beading place where they are seated on the wheel.


My money is still on the rear shocks though as I feel they may have worn out the tyres unevenly. So you feel any bounciness at the rear when driving. That would be a sure sign of the rear shocks going bad. Additionally you could check for any oil leaking marks on the rear shockers.
Traveler is offline  
Old 5th October 2018, 20:45   #9207
Senior - BHPian
 
sumeethaldankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,941
Thanked: 3,336 Times
Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
Recently I rotated the tyres (225/45 R17) on my Civic and since then I am facing a strange issue. The steering wobbles/shakes at speed of 80 kmph and above. In the past, balancing the tyres usually fixes it. However, after going through 2 times balancing/alignment from 2 different shops in last 2 days, I am still facing the wobbling/shaking of the steering at higher speed. Please advise what other issues can cause this.
Does the wobble happens on braking or while maintaining speed?
sumeethaldankar is offline  
Old 5th October 2018, 21:16   #9208
Senior - BHPian
 
iTNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Imphal/Noida
Posts: 1,241
Thanked: 1,214 Times
Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Does the wobble happens on braking or while maintaining speed?
while maintaining speed usually > 80 kmph
iTNerd is offline  
Old 5th October 2018, 21:40   #9209
Senior - BHPian
 
sumeethaldankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,941
Thanked: 3,336 Times
Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
while maintaining speed usually > 80 kmph
6 years the tires are reaching the end of their safe life span. Is it possible to go back to how the tires were bolted before the rotation?
sumeethaldankar is offline  
Old 6th October 2018, 08:14   #9210
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankjha1806's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,160
Thanked: 978 Times
Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
I am also planning to get the suspension done up for my car. Not that it requires it but I wanted to get something better. So I have shortlisted Sachs. They are OEM suppliers for BMW and are known to be comfortable as well as sporty. The car is still in Honda warranty, so will get it done as soon as it is over.
Did you do the change of suspensions? BTW where do you get Sachs in India? I tried googling and couldn't find a local dealer?

BTW, how come your civic is in Honda warranty still? Its been years Civic has been discontinued. What am i missing?
mayankjha1806 is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks