Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2018, 01:13   #9046
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

The passenger side and driver side mats are wet. So I guess the AC drain hole is blocked. Can anyone suggest a DIY method to unclog it or do I need to take it to the FNG?
Old 11th April 2018, 03:07   #9047
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
Hi interc00led,

Yes I do see them in the reservoir, however I did have Honda remove air from the PS system sometime last year.

The PS pump in my car had a leak. I tried getting it fixed twice but my mechanic couldn't fix it. In fact every time the car went for getting the issue fixed it got worse, on my third try the steering was rock hard was making loud funny noise so I gave the car to Honda got the air removed and have been topping up the fluid when required. Few months back I saw my car dripping PS oil while running so gave it to my mechanic again who confirmed it to be a rack issue this time since the entire boot of rack on the right hand was dipped in oil. Now I think the rack actually does not have a leak and it is the fluid gushing out of the reservoir reaching the boot. But really don't know how to get it fixed.
Oil is gushing out of the reservoir because there is a leak somewhere and the pump is sucking air into the system. There is an o ring on the inlet side(low pressure)elbow on the power steering pump, if this doesn't seal properly then it can suck air into the system.
Part no for this o-ring is 91345-RDA-A01.
interc00led is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2018, 03:37   #9048
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by interc00led View Post
Oil is gushing out of the reservoir because there is a leak somewhere and the pump is sucking air into the system. There is an o ring on the inlet side(low pressure)elbow on the power steering pump, if this doesn't seal properly then it can suck air into the system.

Part no for this o-ring is 91345-RDA-A01.

Yes! There's a leak in the pump and It is supposedly the same O ring you are talking about. Got it changed twice. But the problem got worse. Maybe because of inferior quality of ring bought from outside by mechanic.

Question - will this part be available at Honda Dealership & will they replace it for me? (Though I doubt that)
Old 11th April 2018, 13:23   #9049
BHPian

Quote:
Question - will this part be available at Honda Dealership & will they replace it for me? (Though I doubt that)
Hi Nik,

Yes this is available with Honda ASS, but they seldom agree to change it and always push, that either the rack or the steering pump is the cause of the leakage, as replacing the whole rack/pump assembly is much more profitable than replacing the worn out O-ring.

Regards
Kunal
Old 11th April 2018, 13:29   #9050
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Honda ASC will always opt to replace the expensive rack assembly but that is the most trouble free option.

Check if the O ring is available overseas (for e.g. at eBay US or a similar site) and have it shipped to you via a friend/family member if not directly to India. You can also check on Alibaba and other Chinese sites for options.

Check Boodmo: https://boodmo.com/catalog/3548-stee...nda_civic-1_8/

Last edited by R2D2 : 11th April 2018 at 13:30.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2018, 23:17   #9051
Senior - BHPian

Couple of issues with the Civic.

1. Outside smell seeps into the cabin. I got the AC checked and its fine. The car's door beadings have developed cracks so I'm assuming they're the culprits. How much do they cost and where to source them? HASS charges a bomb.

2. The car shudders during acceleration. Perhaps it needs throttle body cleaning?

Clocked 1,68,000 Kms on the odo today
Old 17th April 2018, 15:49   #9052
Senior - BHPian

I couldn't edit the previous post. Changing the spark plugs alleviated my 'shuddering while accelerating issue'. Changed them with NGK platinum alloy spark plugs.

Which brings me to another issue. 70k kms earlier, I had gone for spark plugs replacement at Southend Honda, Badarpur. I was told that they'll be iridium plugs - replacement every 1,00,000 kms. I got all of them replaced for Rs 4000/ ( as mentioned in bill).

Today when my FNG guy replaced the plugs, he showed me the older ones. And they were exactly the same ones as the new ones I put in today. NGK platinum plugs priced at Rs 232 a piece.

Was I cheated by HASS? I'll have to dig deeper.
Old 19th April 2018, 09:26   #9053
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Changed them with NGK platinum alloy spark plugs. Was I cheated by HASS? I'll have to dig deeper.
Sorry man, I think you were conned by your HASS. According to what I read on this thread the Civic comes factory fitted with Iridium plugs that last about 1 lakh kms and replacement plugs should always be Ir.
Old 19th April 2018, 10:05   #9054
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I am getting 2008 Civic CVT run 80K kms for 2 Lakhs. What all things should I look for in a CVT Civic? Any particular issues, I should pay attention to.

PS: The car will be for my father, 70-30% (city-highway).
Thanks.
Old 19th April 2018, 10:25   #9055
BHPian

Quote:
I couldn't edit the previous post. Changing the spark plugs alleviated my 'shuddering while accelerating issue'. Changed them with NGK platinum alloy spark plugs.

Which brings me to another issue. 70k kms earlier, I had gone for spark plugs replacement at Southend Honda, Badarpur. I was told that they'll be iridium plugs - replacement every 1,00,000 kms. I got all of them replaced for Rs 4000/ ( as mentioned in bill).

Today when my FNG guy replaced the plugs, he showed me the older ones. And they were exactly the same ones as the new ones I put in today. NGK platinum plugs priced at Rs 232 a piece.

Was I cheated by HASS? I'll have to dig deeper.
Can you upload a photo of the old spark plugs ? Just check the plug number to make sure if it was iridium or platinum.

Also, shuddering during acceleration can be due to one or more weak ignition coils. I have had the same issue, replacing the coil solved it.
Other than that - check your airfilter.
Old 20th April 2018, 06:55   #9056
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by interc00led View Post
Can you upload a photo of the old spark plugs ? Just check the plug number to make sure if it was iridium or platinum.

Also, shuddering during acceleration can be due to one or more weak ignition coils. I have had the same issue, replacing the coil solved it.
Other than that - check your airfilter.
I'm sorry I don't have a pic of the old plugs. They were platinum, ones you get for 200 bucks a piece.

The shuddering was gone when I changed the plugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Sorry man, I think you were conned by your HASS. According to what I read on this thread the Civic comes factory fitted with Iridium plugs that last about 1 lakh kms and replacement plugs should always be Ir.
Yeah. I was conned. Southend Honda, Badarpur sinks to lower depths. I remember my car had clocked 1 lakh kms so I had to ask them to change the plugs. First they refused sighting unavailability of parts. Then when the bill had it listed, I asked them and they said that they had managed to arrange the plugs. Since the plugs were new, the car performed well and I was happy.

It's only now, 68k kms later that I realized I'd been duped.
Old 20th April 2018, 13:20   #9057
BHPian

Quote:
I'm sorry I don't have a pic of the old plugs
Here is my post regarding this in Feb-2012 at my 1 lakh kms service:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2671295
manim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2018, 19:32   #9058
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Guys,

I am getting 2008 Civic CVT run 80K kms for 2 Lakhs. What all things should I look for in a CVT Civic? Any particular issues, I should pay attention to.

PS: The car will be for my father, 70-30% (city-highway).
Thanks.
I think this has been discussed many times on this thread. First and foremost have a good look at the service records. Civic has problems with its engine mount, the hydraulic power steering pump and rack. AC cooling coil is known to get kaput as well so make sure the ac is working fine. Rest is just as good as any other car, check for suspension, brake pads etc. Make sure the odo is legit as the odo can be tampered.
sumeethaldankar is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2018, 09:43   #9059
Senior - BHPian

My Civic's engine hum is now very audible in the passenger cabin, even with all windows up. Could this be due to the soundproofing going bust or something more serious? All other performance metrics seem alright - mileage is fine, idle is fine, pickup is fine, temperature is fine, car is frequently serviced...
Old 22nd April 2018, 12:27   #9060
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
My Civic's engine hum is now very audible in the passenger cabin, even with all windows up. Could this be due to the soundproofing going bust or something more serious? All other performance metrics seem alright - mileage is fine, idle is fine, pickup is fine, temperature is fine, car is frequently serviced...
Binand, check for condition of the Engine mounts (particularily the one next to Hydraulic Fuid reservoir).

This one is known for going Kaput prematurely.

There should be some space between its metallic end and rubber part (which acts as a cushion) else it would cause vibrations and "humming" noise specially when you put off your leg from the accelerator pedal.

Also, check for the second one which is next to the transmission (though this one is much more reliable and does not go kaput so early).
ashishrathi88 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks