Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2018, 10:07   #9016
BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asish_VK View Post
It's getting so tempting to buy a used Civic now by looking the the mouth watering prices being asked.

I always used to drool over the Civic (Still does) for its looks alone. For me it is one of the best looking cars ever sold in India, and still maintains its charm.

The question is how good a decision will it be to buy a Used civic now ? (Post 2009-10 models)

The Car should replace a Hyundai Eon (5+ years old) which did slightly less than 25K Kms in 5 Years and will be used mostly out of city (Free roads with inclines and twists) .
Civic should do the family car duty back at native (Approx 5K Km per year), so that I can use the Eon at Bangalore traffic.

My concerns are: (With the age of the car in mind)

Will it be a trouble to maintain an expensive car (at the launch) , related to spare parts and Honda service costs etc ?

Insurance and other costs , will it be so high ?

How reliable will be the car, if I take it to longer rides ? say Kochi to Bangalore?

Upto what ODO reading should be fine ? (I have seen many cars with 1.5 Lakh kms and many with 50-75K Kms on ODO)

What all will be the immediate possible expenses one can expect after purchase ?

Could the experts suggest ?
Am no expert, but a long time user of Civic. But here goes

- Spares and Maintenance from HASS : Regular maintenance parts are ok priced, availability is no problem for me till now. If it's not in stock, it's ordered and arrives within a few days. Service cost is very very reasonable, even at HASS. For 10K services, it's less than 4000 inr, for 20K, it would be around 5000, and every 40K you have to shell out another 5000 for fuel filter replacement, but that can be skipped as per few posts earlier by members. Oil filter INR 60, Air filter INR 1100, Oil 1600 + labor 1100-1500

- Accident and body parts are expensive, as with all cars
- Assuming that all core mechanicals like power steering etc are in order, the expenses you could expect are (assuming you are buying a car ~75000 kms odo)
- Brakes pads (Changed roughly every 40-50K). HASS 13K, FNG 5K
- 80K service : INR 8-10K
- Lower control arm bush, tie rod ends, linkers replacement, if required : HASS(??), FNG 3-8K, depending on FNG and parts replaced
- Engine mount Hydraulic : May need to be replaced at some point, as it is prone to failure. Post 2009 facelift have less of an issue. HASS INR 9K
- Spark plugs @100K kms, INR 4500
- Insurance : 12-15K in general, yearly. Can be less or more depending on NCB

In general, i would say its a maintenance free car, relatively. I have done 130K kms and have replaced only the routine service items, plus the wear and tear items like some suspension components, brakes etc. If you know a good FNG, then it's really cheap to maintain.

In Delhi, most parts are available in the open market at very reasonable prices. I don't know about other cities.

Hearing from my friends on how much they spend to service their Maruti Swifts or Ciaz, i would say i spend less than them.

Rgds
VineetG is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th March 2018, 11:11   #9017
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VineetG View Post
Am no expert, but a long time user of Civic. But here goes
Hearing from my friends on how much they spend to service their Maruti Swifts or Ciaz, i would say i spend less than them.

Rgds
Thank You Vineeth.

Your reply address all of my quires and this kind of response reassures my confidence to look for a used Civic. Thanks again
Old 14th March 2018, 12:39   #9018
Distinguished - BHPian

Took the Civic for another long spin within 10 days again. Covered around 700 kms (plus 400 kms last weekend; total 1100 KMS).

During the 700 KM run, I maintained a constant speed of 60-80 KMPH (yes, tough to keep patience with such a free revving car!) with short bursts of 100-120 KMPH. The car returned an astounding FE of 18 KMPL, which is the max as of now that I have clocked. I had clocked once 16.5 KMPL which was during my Kolkata- Ranchi run but this time, I managed to topple my own record!

Now, its time for an oil + air filter change as per the intervals. Its currently running of the 5w-30 Honda OE oil. Will probably go for Liqui-Moly 0w-XX (20 or 30). Rest the car is doing great.

Regards,
Saket.
saket77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th March 2018, 16:12   #9019
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Switched off car for five minutes and restarted. Stuck idle resolved but CEL is on. Taking car to Honda tomorrow.
Same issue again. Car is back with Honda for a thorough troubleshooting this time. I have asked them to keep it for two days and investigate the problem.
Old 16th March 2018, 10:55   #9020
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan.xj View Post
Hey guys, need your help! I had gone to my vendor to get the final element of my ICE installed ( a Focal monobloack amp)! everything was going as per plan and the amp was successfully installed when suddenly out of nowhere the dash shows an "engine check" light! A few unofficial calls to the Honda people convinced me to drive it back home (I was told it's a minor thing and will be rectified through a scan on Monday)! However, barely 5 minutes of drive later, the car throttle became unresponsive and completely died within 10 mins! Had to call the road side assistance and had the vehicle towed over to Arya service! What could have possibly gone wrong?? the car is 2 years old with insurance and extended warranty! This is the first ever such case with this car and i really cant figure out what could have possibly gone wrong!
Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy1400 View Post
My civics dash started to show the orange fuel injection sign & revvs started at 1500 and refused to come down.

Tried revving it but it won't go beyond 2000rpm.

Tried restarting and it went normal but with the same orange light glowing.

Took it to FNG, got scanner plugged in. It detected a fault with throttle position sensor relay.

Got relay changed just now and looks fine till now.

Paid rs 500 for scanning & 180 for the replacement relay.
Quote:
Same issue again. Car is back with Honda for a thorough troubleshooting this time. I have asked them to keep it for two days and investigate the problem.
My problem seems similar. Honda is yet to diagnose the issue.
Old 17th March 2018, 14:08   #9021
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My problem seems similar. Honda is yet to diagnose the issue.
Honda wans to change the entire throttle body. For now as a hit in the dark got the relay changed. Don't know what to do next? Will wait for sometime before making a decision. The error code is P2135. The relay part no is 39794 SDA A05. This is for the throttle position sensor.
Old 30th March 2018, 08:03   #9022
Senior - BHPian

I got my car serviced today. Switched to Mobil 1 as I could not source Idemitsu. Industrybuying takes a long time to deliver. And I'm not really sure about the authenticity of what they supply. The oil level had dipped last time and I had to top it up, something that has never happened.

My car completes 11 Years today. 1,66,000 kms and counting, still going strong
Old 30th March 2018, 10:02   #9023
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Honda wans to change the entire throttle body. For now as a hit in the dark got the relay changed. Don't know what to do next? Will wait for sometime before making a decision. The error code is P2135. The relay part no is 39794 SDA A05. This is for the throttle position sensor.
If you have friends/relatives overseas try getting this part from over there as it may be cheaper. Give them the part # and I am quite sure it can be sourced especially in countries where this model of the Civic was sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
I got my car serviced today. Switched to Mobil 1 as I could not source Idemitsu. Industrybuying takes a long time to deliver. And I'm not really sure about the authenticity of what they supply. The oil level had dipped last time and I had to top it up, something that has never happened
I'd advise you to stick to buying locally from a trusted dealer OR Amazon. Check dealer ratings on Amazon before purchase.

Quote:
Congrats! 166K is some running for India conditions!
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2018, 10:41   #9024
BHPian

Quote:
I got my car serviced today. Switched to Mobil 1 as I could not source Idemitsu. Industrybuying takes a long time to deliver. And I'm not really sure about the authenticity of what they supply. The oil level had dipped last time and I had to top it up, something that has never happened.

Dear coolkurt,

You, with the kind of passion that you have for your Civic, are an example for rest of us.

Kudos to you.
skdking is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2018, 06:55   #9025
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post

I'd advise you to stick to buying locally from a trusted dealer OR Amazon. Check dealer ratings on Amazon before purchase.

Congrats! 166K is some running for India conditions!
Amazon doesn't have Idemitsu listed. So the only source is either Honda or industrybuying.

Thank you so much! It certainly is. Going pretty strong at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
Dear coolkurt,

You, with the kind of passion that you have for your Civic, are an example for rest of us.

Kudos to you.
Thank you. This car pulls the strings to my heart like no other.

@All

Minor issue. When I take a right turn, I hear a strange sound from the left side, assumingly from the tyre well. It feels like water or some liquid flowing and splashing around. It's there only when I take a right turn and comes from the front left side.

I checked the tyre well and there's no issue. There are no leaks. The coolant reservoir is fine. Could it be the water from the air-conditioning system?

but how can that make such a sound I wonder 🤔
Old 1st April 2018, 08:28   #9026
Senior - BHPian

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-screenshot_20180401082341_org.videolan.vlc.png

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-screenshot_20180401082327_org.videolan.vlc.png

Guys is this the transmission case or the oil sump? Noticed this today on my weekly inspection of the car. I always hate looking under the hood and the under body of my car. It has many times thrown nasty suprises. Let me know what the leakage could be from? As of now no dripping on parked floor.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 1st April 2018 at 08:38. Reason: Added video link.
Old 1st April 2018, 09:18   #9027
BHPian

Quote:

Guys is this the transmission case or the oil sump? Noticed this today on my weekly inspection of the car. I always hate looking under the hood and the under body of my car. It has many times thrown nasty suprises. Let me know what the leakage could be from? As of now no dripping on parked floor.
That's engine oil sump and I think the source of leak is the drain bolt. Use a new crush washer during next oil change.
interc00led is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2018, 09:51   #9028
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Amazon doesn't have Idemitsu listed. So the only source is either Honda or industrybuying.
That's the reason I suggest Amazon actually, industrybuying's reputation is not yet established as a source of genuine parts and spares for cars.

Mobil 1 synthetic is a very good oil and you won't go wrong. Also, since you say oil level dropped check for leaks.

Quote:
Minor issue. I checked the tyre well and there's no issue. There are no leaks. The coolant reservoir is fine. Could it be the water from the air-conditioning system?
When I heard sloshing noise in my Palio it was water accumalated in one of the door assemblies. The drain hole was blocked and rain water collected. I removed the blockage and the water gushed out. Check all doors.

The second thing to check is the air conditioning drain pipe for blockage and water/condensate accumulation.

Last edited by R2D2 : 1st April 2018 at 09:52.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2018, 10:53   #9029
BHPian

Quote:

Minor issue. When I take a right turn, I hear a strange sound from the left side, assumingly from the tyre well. It feels like water or some liquid flowing and splashing around. It's there only when I take a right turn and comes from the front left side.

but how can that make such a sound I wonder ��
Hi Mate,

I would also suggest examining the engine air intake reservoir thats placed near the front left tyre, one needs to take off the fender lining in order to gain access to it.

Regards
Kunal

Last edited by kunal_kaushal : 1st April 2018 at 10:57.
kunal_kaushal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 12:22   #9030
BHPian

Quote:
Correct me if i'm wrong, Idemitsu in India is being produced by Savita Chemicals Ltd. (based out of Mumbai) under due licenses from Idemitsu of Japan. So in first case, availability should not be an issue.

Yesterday some where in South Delhi, I saw a huge billboard mentioning the complete lineup of Idemitsu Engine oils (showing 4L cans including the Honda spec 0W20 in yellow packaging).

Wondering why they are not retailing from traditional brick and mortar shelves (most popular way in case of engine oils) even after investing so much in ATL branding.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks