Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2018, 18:33   #9151
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by techcoze View Post
Since last few days I am facing issue with car stalling when coming down to slow speed. E.g. while cruising at 30-40kmph, if I try to slow down at signal or speed breaker, engine struggles with low rpm which drops close to or below 500rpm. And engine stalls.

Earlier this used to happen but not so frequently. Today happened 8-10 times in mere 10km driving stretch. Any pointers what can be issue?

P.s. there is no engine check light or ecu error code
Throttle body cleaning plus a ECU reset might help. Also check if the air filter is dirty. Don't goto Honda for the TB cleaning get it done from a good FNG.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 22nd July 2018 at 18:37.
Old 24th July 2018, 09:07   #9152
BHPian

Quote:
Since last few days I am facing issue with car stalling when coming down to slow speed. E.g. while cruising at 30-40kmph, if I try to slow down at signal or speed breaker, engine struggles with low rpm which drops close to or below 500rpm. And engine stalls.

Earlier this used to happen but not so frequently. Today happened 8-10 times in mere 10km driving stretch. Any pointers what can be issue?

Faced a similar issue six months back, the engine would stall at low speeds and especially when taking a turn. Was suggested for spark plug replacement by HASS and it did fix the issue. Nothing similar happened post the plug replacement.

Cheers,
Aslam
Aslamjaffer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2018, 11:58   #9153
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So does this mean you had the car hooked up to a OBD scanner? Was it a generic scanner or a brand/model specific one?

If there are really no codes, preferably verified with a brand/model specific OBD scanner, check the airfilter and the spark plugs.

Good luck

Br Jeroen
Old 24th July 2018, 12:16   #9154
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hope the fuel quality is fine. I always have qualms while filling up fuel in rainy seasons as one can never be sure if water is not seeping and mixing up in the fuel storage underground tanks of the bunks.
Apart from fuel, other pointers that come to my mind (not necessarily to order):
1. Weak battery,
2. Dirty throttle assembly,
3. Issue with ignition coil/ spark plugs or their contact points,
4. Clogged up fuel pump and petrol strainer (do check this).
5. Clogged air filter.

Resetting ECU by disconnecting battery leads may help, but before that getting the car scanned by Honda scanner is what I will recommend too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
So does this mean you had the car hooked up to a OBD scanner? Was it a generic scanner or a brand/model specific one?

If there are really no codes, preferably verified with a brand/model specific OBD scanner, check the airfilter and the spark plugs.
Good advice. Once my Civic had an issue with its B-Can bus where some functions would be intermittently interrupted like the AC, dash lights, and the security system too. I got it scanned at Mahinda First choice and they used a generic scanner, which showed no errors. They gave a clean chit to the car. Unconvinced with the diagnosis, I headed straight to Honda where they obviously used the Honda specific scanner which displayed the exact error with probable problem areas. So, I don't trust the generic scanners.

Regards,
Saket.

Last edited by saket77 : 24th July 2018 at 12:18.
Old 24th July 2018, 12:57   #9155
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
. So, I don't trust the generic scanners.
Well, a generic scanner is a hell of lot better than no scanner and just hit and miss replace parts. I would say that most faults are likely to be picked up by a generic scanner. It's just that the brand/model specific tend to go into much more detail/granularity.

The big issues is the price. Whereas you can buy a decent generic scanner from $20-30, a proper brand/model OBD scanner that can handle most brands is likely to cost well upwards of $400. Obviously, I have two of each!

But even so, there can be problems in an engine with no codes. Which sort of helps you point in the direction of what to check, which is stuff that doesnt have an error code. E.g. airfilter, dirty spark plugs etc.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2018, 19:26   #9156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslamjaffer View Post

I am trying to replace it with Hawk HP+ which is available on Amazon. Now the problem is in selecting the right product as there are multiple listings without the mention of the suitable for information. Can I select the pads referring to the dimensions image? If yes, then what is the dimension on the civic’s front brake pads. I am totally confused now and worried about selecting the wrong product and getting it delivered.

Appreciate if someone could guide me through this.

Cheers,
Aslam
Hello all,

Below are the two models of Hawk HPS brake pads for the civic. Can someone help me with picking up the right model from the two options that can fit my 2008 Civic.I assume it should be option B- HB447. Appreciate your help on this.

Option A- Hawk HPS HB275
Option B – Hawk HPS HB447

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-brake-pad-comparison.png

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Aslam
Old 3rd August 2018, 20:48   #9157
Senior - BHPian

From the shapes, small one looks like for the rear and big one for the front
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2018, 20:02   #9158
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello all,

Below are the two models of Hawk HPS brake pads for the civic. Can someone help me with picking up the right model from the two options that can fit my 2008 Civic.I assume it should be option B- HB447. Appreciate your help on this.

Option A- Hawk HPS HB275
Option B – Hawk HPS HB447
Your best bet would be to check with the seller of these pads.

Assuming your car is a 2008 Civic and you need front brake pads, cross checking at Boodmo for dimensions shows Option A to be the correct size. Boodmo Honda Civic Fr pads

The rear pad dimensions is 88.9 x 47.8 x 14.5 and both Options A and B will be too large for the rear calipers.

Please keep in mind there are variations in models sold in different countries. A Civic sold in the US and NA market may have different brake and other components from a Civic sold in Asia. Go by dimensions OR use a cross reference chart to match OEM part #s to aftermarket part #s.

Last edited by R2D2 : 4th August 2018 at 20:04.
Old 4th August 2018, 20:25   #9159
BHPian

Quote:
Can someone help me with picking up the right model from the two options that can fit my 2008 Civic
Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
From the shapes, small one looks like for the rear and big one for the front

Laluks is right. The big ones go upfront and the small ones at the rear. I had bought a set of front and rear that I never installed as the SA said the OE ones have more bite left in them than these aftermarket ones.

Also have a set of Brembo pads for the rear that are yet to be put on the car.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_20180804_201540800x600.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_20180804_201555800x600.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_20180804_201611800x600.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_20180804_201619600x800.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_20180804_201510600x800.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_20180804_201531800x600.jpg  

WasavaTyres is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2018, 13:12   #9160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
I got mine replaced at windshield experts for under 10K 3/4 years ago. But ever since that change the glare on the windshield was way higher than the OEM one which came with the car.

The current owner of the car did not like it and got it changed from HASS, he says no such issues again. I cannot comment since I have not seen it in person, but the glare from the windshield experts replacement I can confirm
Got windshield around the same pricing. It's true about the glare, now that I think about it. Guess would have to invest again. :|

It does not leak however.

Windshield Experts did a bad job of replacing the border rubber/plastic parts of the front frame, now its all exposed where one can see the interior structure of the frame.

Could someone please guide where I can get these window frame parts from? I feel its a crime to ask prices at HASS

Last edited by suhaas307 : 13th August 2018 at 11:50. Reason: Formatting
Old 11th August 2018, 13:54   #9161
Senior - BHPian

What is the cost of OE serpentine belt at Honda and a aftermarket one? Is anyone using a non OE belt?
Old 11th August 2018, 18:27   #9162
BHPian

"Ignorance can be tough"

Everyone used to advice me to keep the ORVMs folded specially the electric ones on my 2011 Civic.

I used to ignore them and today I noticed a "Grrrr" kind of noise from the LHS mirror.

On trying to fold it using the button, it failed to do so.

There itself, I understood that some one has fiddled with it as the car was parked next to a wall and in a possible attempt to cross it, some one would have manually folded it.

Since, going to HASS meant replacing the complete assembly costing a big dent on my wallet, I decided to go to Noida Sector 16 Auto Market.

There I was told that this will cost around INR 1500 to 2000 as the motor seems to have gone Kaput.

I was not able to "buy that point" since the motor was constantly trying to unfold the mirrors (which meant that it was working fine) but it was the small gear attached to it that could have been troubling (being a plastic part that could have been damaged).

Took a 3rd opinion from a shop that claimed to be dedicatedly for Mirrors and Head/Tail Lamps.

The guy quoted me INR 900 and was totally adamant that he wont negotiate anything below than that.

As per him the breakup was
INR 500 for "gear"
INR 300 for opening the mirror assembly and replacing it
INR 100 for removing and refitting the mirror.

Now since there was neither anyone else who was having that part nor anyone was ready to fit it below INR 1000. Plus the constant grinding noise from the mirror was causing me heartburn, I had no other option that to go ahead with him to get it installed.

As per him, this small gear on applying pressure manually gets cracked and even after using FeviKwik or any Instant adhesive, it will not be able to work in long run.

So, after wasting my Saturday afternoon and loosing around INR 1000 from wallet.

Lesson was learned - the harder way!

"Always keep the electric ORVMs folded (if Auto Folding feature is not there by default)".
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-1533992214969.jpg  

ashishrathi88 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th August 2018, 19:05   #9163
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishrathi88 View Post
"Ignorance can be tough"

Everyone used to advice me to keep the ORVMs folded specially the electric ones on my 2011 Civic.

"Always keep the electric ORVMs folded (if Auto Folding feature is not there by default)".
I never, ever open my ORVMs in the city & use them only on highways. Open ORVMs in city traffic is asking for trouble. Also, the mirrors are always folded when the car is parked. They cost Rs 18-19K a piece!
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2018, 23:34   #9164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishrathi88 View Post
So, after wasting my Saturday afternoon and loosing around INR 1000 from wallet.

Lesson was learned - the harder way!
You are lucky you got it done for 1000. I got it done for 1900 last month.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 13th August 2018 at 11:50. Reason: Formatting
sumeethaldankar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2018, 03:12   #9165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
You are lucky you got it done for 1000. I got it done for 1900 last month.

Where in mumbai did you get this done from?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 13th August 2018 at 11:51. Reason: Please avoid using SMS / Chat lingo. Read the Announcements carefully and only then proceed to submit posts. Thank you!

Most Viewed