Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2016, 15:10   #7546
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

The volume control of the audio system stopped working in my car. Turning it doesn't make any more effect on the music volume. The only option is to use the volume controls on the back seat center console for now. Any idea how to get it checked/repaired without having to go HASS ? I tried to pull the knob out, but it doesn't seem to come off easily. Dont want to break it in the process.
Old 7th June 2016, 17:47   #7547
Senior - BHPian

In my case too, HASS changed only the driver side airbag inflator. This was attributed to the fact that my car is a 2010 facelifted version as opposed to the older version which required change of the passenger side inflator as well.
Old 7th June 2016, 21:57   #7548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
In my case too, HASS changed only the driver side airbag inflator. This was attributed to the fact that my car is a 2010 facelifted version as opposed to the older version which required change of the passenger side inflator as well.
Do you know the make of the replacement driver side airbag inflator?

And, why is the passenger side airbag inflator not being replaced in facelifted civics? Mine is also a 2010 model and only the driver side inflator was replaced.
Old 8th June 2016, 15:51   #7549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
Do you know the make of the replacement driver side airbag inflator?

And, why is the passenger side airbag inflator not being replaced in facelifted civics? Mine is also a 2010 model and only the driver side inflator was replaced.
I do not know the make of the replacement inflator as I was not present when the work was carried out.

I was told that as per the info they had the facelifted Civics did not have a faulty passenger side inflator. I believe it has to do with certain batches of inflators that were faulty with the rest being fine.
Old 8th June 2016, 17:38   #7550
BHPian

Quote:
I do not know the make of the replacement inflator as I was not present when the work was carried out.

I was told that as per the info they had the facelifted Civics did not have a faulty passenger side inflator. I believe it has to do with certain batches of inflators that were faulty with the rest being fine.
There is no 'batch' thing in Takata airbag inflators. All batches produced and fitted to cars as on date use Ammonium nitrate which would eventually become unstable and require a recall. Replacing only the driver side airbag inflator, IMO either might be due to a supply issue or that the original passenger side inflator had inflators of other makes.
petroguzzler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 17:58   #7551
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is no 'batch' thing in Takata airbag inflators. All batches produced and fitted to cars as on date use Ammonium nitrate which would eventually become unstable and require a recall. Replacing only the driver side airbag inflator, IMO either might be due to a supply issue or that the original passenger side inflator had inflators of other makes.
Could be true. When I entered my VIN details on the Honda Car India website, I got the message that only my driver side inflator was faulty while for my brother-in-law who has a 2007 model Civic it indicated both inflators to be faulty. I guess your second argument holds good in this case.

Thanks for the input on the chemical used and its properties. BTW, if Ammonium Nitrate is meant to be unstable, what chemical is being used now instead ?
Old 9th June 2016, 15:09   #7552
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for the input on the chemical used and its properties. BTW, if Ammonium Nitrate is meant to be unstable, what chemical is being used now instead ?
Surprisingly, the answer for Takata airbags being manufactured today is still Ammonium Nitrate. Takata, officially, still does not concede that it is the propellent ammonium nitrate that is the crux of the problem. Their stand is that the issue can be fixed merely by adding a desiccant that will absorb extra moisture etc.

So much so that many cars rolling out of the assembly line today from manufacturers like VW, Toyota, Fiat and Mitsubishi still have Takata airbags with ammonium nitrate in them. This is such a serious issue that the New York Times in an editorial this week asked why such cars are still being sold:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/03/op...r-airbags.html
coolvenk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2016, 19:28   #7553
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Was in Delhi over the weekend. Did a quick catching up with coolkurt and we both went Civic spares shopping. The stores really impressed me, Lucky Coolkurt.

Now I know where to place my orders!! Picked up a Belt, Pulley bearing, Rear tail lamp and condensor fan motor, all for little over 4K

Condensor fan motor was a direct fit and could finish the DIY in 10 minutes

Coolkurt - Thanks for your time and taking me around to the shops. Till next time and more orders...

I will post the pictures of the replacement of fan motor when I get some time.
Got some time to post today.

Condenser fan motor sourced from Delhi through Coolkurts favorite shops. the one with the black coupler
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_20160516_151915.jpg

New and the old (OEM) fan motor
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_20160516_151934.jpg

Other side for comparison
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_20160516_151943_01.jpg

Removing the shroud is a 10 minutes job, remove two bolts and this comes out.

Shroud with the old motor
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_20160516_153641.jpg

Shroud with the new motor. Its a direct fit.
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_20160516_153651.jpg

The black coupler was cutoff and joined to the connector in the shroud. Fitting back took another 10 minutes and all is well
laluks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th June 2016, 20:06   #7554
Senior - BHPian

The rear arms have finally arrived. Time to make the first out of stock change in Civvy .

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_20160610_083336.jpg
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2016, 11:18   #7555
BHPian

Quote:
The rear arms have finally arrived. Time to make the first out of stock change in Civvy .

Attachment 1516452
How are they different from the stock ones ? Advantages ?
Old 11th June 2016, 12:52   #7556
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1516452
Why do you need these ? Do the stock ones need a change in that they are damaged?

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 11th June 2016 at 12:53.
Old 11th June 2016, 13:39   #7557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
How are they different from the stock ones ? Advantages ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Why do you need these ? Do the stock ones need a change in that they are damaged?
Over a period of time the rubber bushes wear away. Also the rear control arms are a complex structure, and bushings needs to be checked over age. Any weakening here can lead to an overhaul of the suspension, and missing it causes camber to vary badly causing uneven thread wear. Civic in its OEM form does not allow camber to be adjusted for rear.

With this setup, you can adjust rear camber. A must for me since, by the time I complete a long trip my tyre would be worn out, since the patches I normally drive civic are not even motorable ones!! In this scenario, I could delay the issues till I reach back my trusted mechanic with an alignment done on the run.

If your run is mostly on tarmac, you may not need this since your alignment stays longer
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2016, 17:14   #7558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolvenk View Post
It is unclear why this was so, though. Perhaps you could ask HASS to physically check what brand of inflators are present in the passenger side. Non-Takata ones have no known issues. If it is Takata, I think it might be appropriate to write/tweet to Honda to ask if they can replace .
Is it possible to physically check the make of the airbag inflators in the car? Is it a simple task?

When I asked HASS to show me the make of the inflators, they had refused to do it as it would involve removing the entire airbag assembly.
Old 11th June 2016, 19:11   #7559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is it possible to physically check the make of the airbag inflators in the car? Is it a simple task?

When I asked HASS to show me the make of the inflators, they had refused to do it as it would involve removing the entire airbag assembly.

Hopefully you have got the replacements as per Honda bulletin.

Both are very easy to remove, but in trained hands. Passenger side is just two nuts and you will get that in hand. After removing the Ground from the battery if you so wish try it out at your risk!
Old 11th June 2016, 21:49   #7560
BHPian

Quote:
Hopefully you have got the replacements as per Honda bulletin.

Both are very easy to remove, but in trained hands. Passenger side is just two nuts and you will get that in hand.
I bought my pre-owned Civic this February. As per records, the driver side airbag inflator has been replaced. But I would like to physically check whether both the driver and passenger airbag inflators are Takata ones or no, given the seriousness of the issue.

Quote:
After removing the Ground from the battery if you so wish try it out at your risk!
I'm sorry, could you please elaborate on what would be the risk.

Most Viewed