Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2016, 06:25   #7396
BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Bhpians,

Can we get the Civic MT to move from a standstill without accelerator input? (Using half clutch)
Old 16th April 2016, 09:22   #7397
BANNED

@flypside; They are 'programmed' to just replace whatever is creating problems. Remember most of these chaps do not have any automotive / engineering background and are of limited intelligence. Pleas there may be incentives also.
Old 19th April 2016, 12:49   #7398
BHPian

My beloved 2006 S AT that served me well for almost 1.8 years has been stuck at a garage since Feb'2016 now. I think rodents struck again as this time the coolant leaked out completely while driving and the engine knocked for a while and shut down (with smoke coming out of the engine). Surprisingly there were no "check engine" or "overheating lights" that popped up before this happened and I only saw the temperature gauge at FULL after the car broke down :(

Luckily this happened just near a parked tow truck and since I was in Borivali where I stay, I just towed it to a nearby garage near my place (instead of my usual FNG WagenWerkz). This guy is a cheap & genuine fellow, but I think he is not very adept at high end cars and does not have any in house devices to check sensors / failed parts etc.

He went about his usual replacing of parts one by one (trial and error) and has been still trying to bring the car back to life. But the car hardly just sputters to life for a while when turned on and turns off as soon as you come to a stand still on a red light :-/

My question to all:
- Is it normal for no hazard lights to come one when engine is so hot as to burn / melt some parts internally and die down ?
- Has anyone on the forum faced this issue of overheating on a Civic AT and parts that got replaced ?

I am thinking of getting the car towed back to either HASS or WagenWerkz if this fellow is not able to revive it within a week :(

Last edited by salunkhe.vizz : 19th April 2016 at 12:51.
Old 19th April 2016, 13:20   #7399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salunkhe.vizz View Post
Surprisingly there were no "check engine" or "overheating lights" that popped up before this happened and I only saw the temperature gauge at FULL after the car broke down :(
There's one more thing very confusing here. When you have a big temp display gauge to show you temp, which I'm sure is bigger than any temp "overheating lights" on any automobile or even plane for that matter, why were you waiting for a light to pop up??? The meter reached FULL already buddy!

You most probably have a blown head gasket and if you're more unlucky, then piston/piston-ring damage and/or piston sleeves fried.

Last edited by pixantz : 19th April 2016 at 13:23.
Old 19th April 2016, 21:14   #7400
BHPian

Quote:
My beloved 2006 S AT that served me well for almost 1.8 years has been stuck at a garage since Feb'2016 now.
Quite surprising that you are allowing your FNG to tinker around for so long and the car has been subjected to this trial and error method. In my opinion you should put her on a flatbed and take her to a HASS rather than letting someone make a mess of it.
WasavaTyres is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2016, 21:18   #7401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
You most probably have a blown head gasket and if you're more unlucky, then piston/piston-ring damage and/or piston sleeves fried.
Well I wasn't used to looking at the gauge while driving, my attention only went there when smoke started pouring from down under !

Yes it was both the gasket and piston ring, both have been replaced and the car still only nudges for a while before sputtering out
Old 19th April 2016, 22:57   #7402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well I wasn't used to looking at the gauge while driving, my attention only went there when smoke started pouring from down under !

Yes it was both the gasket and piston ring, both have been replaced and the car still only nudges for a while before sputtering out
Kindly pull the car out and get it to Jatin or similar competent garage. Its been with the garage guy far too long. The car will probably a diagnostic scan to find out the issue. There. Is no warning guage except that once the temp guage moves over the halfway mark then it means engine is overheating.
Old 19th April 2016, 23:48   #7403
BHPian

Quote:

Come to think of it, no modern day car has any provision of letting the driver know of a progressively overheating engine. No audio alert/beep, no flashing red leds, nothing. And that's strange. Given that most people these days want and expect to have live "notifications" for everything. Blame it on Android or iOS or anything you want but that's the truth.

We want the car to nudge us if it has a problem. Well that just doesn't happen. It's funny how the ever evolving car doesn't have this basic function. I mean, who the hell checks guages man?

As for your problem, salunkhe, looks like you need a more competent mechanic. I, for one, wouldn't let anyone dicey anywhere near an i-vtec engine. Not all mechanics even know how the i-vtec system really works except the really good ones.

Last edited by pixantz : 19th April 2016 at 23:57.
Old 20th April 2016, 10:03   #7404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
The car will probably a diagnostic scan to find out the issue.
All diagnostic scans have been run 3 times, it shows no error as if the car is perfect

The car is now shifted to a nearby high end FNG by my guy. This place only handles mercs/beemers/audi's/range rovers and my civic has been de-prioritized for now. He has promised to open it within a week, lets see how it goes.
Old 20th April 2016, 10:20   #7405
BHPian

I think Sumeet meant the HDS ( Honda diagnostic scan)
WasavaTyres is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2016, 13:27   #7406
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pashin View Post
The smell would creep into the cabin when you hold the revs above 3K for a short time. Many civic owners abroad have narrowed it to the Vtec being in operation at high revs.The most likely culprit is a non-working PCV valve. Have it checked and replaced, the problem should disappear.
Thanks for this. Honda was finally able to source a PCV valve for my car. The service guys had never heard of such a valve forget having replaced it. But there is still one mechanic at the dealership who I know since the time of my 1st Honda, the first gen honda city 1.5 S bought in 1999. He asked for 2 days to do it as it was their first time installing this on a civic.

Got the car back this morning, tested it with short bursts of speed and a bit of redlining and lo behold... no odours , no funny smells nothing. In fact it even feels a tad smoother - maybe psychological, I am not sure. All in all a good investment. The part cost Rs.677 , labour was Rs.152 and taxes. Total some Rs.875/- well spent.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_2689.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-fullsizerender.jpg  

WasavaTyres is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st April 2016, 13:40   #7407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
Thanks for this. Honda was finally able to source a PCV valve for my car. The service guys had never heard of such a valve forget having replaced it. But there is still one mechanic at the dealership who I know since the time of my 1st Honda, the first gen honda city 1.5 S bought in 1999. He asked for 2 days to do it as it was their first time installing this on a civic.

Got the car back this morning, tested it with short bursts of speed and a bit of redlining and lo behold... no odours , no funny smells nothing. In fact it even feels a tad smoother - maybe psychological, I am not sure. All in all a good investment. The part cost Rs.677 , labour was Rs.152 and taxes. Total some Rs.875/- well spent.
You are most welcome. Glad to hear that the problem is solved. Somehow the cars do feel much smoother once they come from the Honda ASS
Old 21st April 2016, 16:28   #7408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
I have been living with this smell for the last 1.5 years. It crops up in the cabin whenever I floor the throttle. As per Dakshin Honda guys, This is a common syndrome in all Civics and it is better left ignored. Bunch of fools I say. Let me pass on the part code and ask them to order. Thanks!

Last edited by aa_asif : 21st April 2016 at 16:30.
Old 25th April 2016, 13:53   #7409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
There is a very interesting article in the latest issue of Autocar India (April 2016) on page 150.

Apparently, a pre-owned Honda Civic is now the cheapest way to get to 200 kph.
If anybody has a subscription of the autocar magazine, can they kindly post a screenshot of the article? thanks
Old 25th April 2016, 16:27   #7410
BHPian

Finished another Milestone: 1,50,000 kms
One more month to complete nine years.

No problems worth reporting so far.
Car is still silky smooth as usual
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-dsc_1456.jpg  

manim is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com