Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2014, 08:07   #5896
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa_asif View Post
I have heard mixed reviews about Whitefield Honda in Bangalore.
If you love your car avoid Whitefield Honda. Also good for your pocket.
Find a friendly garage if you know what to be done.
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2014, 08:27   #5897
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanak View Post
Any specific reason for not using Idemitsu Synthetic ? I have been using Idemitsu and found no issues so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
I am using shell Helix Ultra 5W 40 in my Civic and its good and smooth enough.

15W 40 is fine if you running CNG. Else i think it's 10W 30 for mineral.

Yup, these oils are good i agree. The only reason i was asking was because my brother has picked up these oils instead of 10W40 Shell HX7 from the shell outlet .

Now am contemplating whether i can use it or not. Not sure if shell outlets accept returns/exchanges. Need to check it out.
Old 22nd October 2014, 10:25   #5898
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
The car sounds the same while idling but as I accelerate, and let go of the accelerator, there is a harsh engine note, which is a lot different than the smooth engine note that the car used to make when revved. There is no difference in performance/ mileage but the change in the engine note has me worried.
This is the exact problem I saw in one of the Civics that I test drove very recently. The car accelerated just fine and with the typical Honda turbine like smoothness, but when I let go the accelerator pedal, like when changing gears, the engine note would go harsh and some good amount of NVH would creep in the cabin too.
I have decided to let go the car, despite the VFM price that I was offered. But would like to know if someone has pointers to the reason of this problem. Acc. to the owner, this was an engine mounting issue.
Old 22nd October 2014, 11:26   #5899
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
This is the exact problem I saw in one of the Civics that I test drove very recently. The car accelerated just fine and with the typical Honda turbine like smoothness, but when I let go the accelerator pedal, like when changing gears, the engine note would go harsh and some good amount of NVH would creep in the cabin too.
I have decided to let go the car, despite the VFM price that I was offered. But would like to know if someone has pointers to the reason of this problem. Acc. to the owner, this was an engine mounting issue.
Yes, the owner is right. After driving my civic for almost 1,00,000 kms, I finally have the infamous engine mount issue. I checked the hydraulic engine mount on my civic and the gap is now negligent. It's been two days I've discovered this and the vibrations are getting worse every day.

You can check out the issue on the car you're looking to buy by following this guide:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...t-dos-112.html

The mount costs 8k at the Honda A.S.S but you can get it done for half that amount outside.
@ALL

I plan to get the mount replaced after diwali, most probably early next week. Can I last out till then, without aggravating the issue?

Last edited by coolkurt : 22nd October 2014 at 11:27.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2014, 15:32   #5900
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanak View Post
Any specific reason for not using Idemitsu Synthetic ? I have been using Idemitsu and found no issues so far.
Simple,its difficult to source idemitsu outside hass...and i don't prefer hass
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2014, 18:05   #5901
BHPian

Useful website I found while searcing for Civic part costs:
http://www.procivic.com/
Old 22nd October 2014, 19:47   #5902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
If you love your car avoid Whitefield Honda. Also good for your pocket.
Find a friendly garage if you know what to be done.

This is exactly where I need your help. Being from Bangalore, where do you take your car for regular services? Do they stock the consumables like oil/air/fuel filters?

Thanks a ton Laluks
Old 22nd October 2014, 19:53   #5903
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa_asif View Post
This is exactly where I need your help. Being from Bangalore, where do you take your car for regular services? Do they stock the consumables like oil/air/fuel filters?

Thanks a ton Laluks
I go normally to Dakshin Honda since I am friendly with a SA who was there since I took my car. Now he moved on else where.

I use Carz for normal work like oil change, brake pad cleaning etc.

I have an AC mechanic on the ORR who helps with the AC.

Major service I still go to Dakshin, and stick with the service requirements alone.
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2014, 20:53   #5904
BHPian

Quote:
I use Carz for normal work like oil change, brake pad cleaning etc.
Great! I see that there's one near Bellandur flyover next to Shell petrol pump. Makes it easier to just get the oil and get it changed right way.
Old 24th October 2014, 11:40   #5905
Senior - BHPian

Finally went ahead and bought the necessary parts to get my civic back in shape.

Auto shop: Batra Spares, savitri nagar, new delhi

Parts:
1. Rear brake pads - Honda OEM - Rs 1100.
2. Engine mount - Rs 1900

Looking to take time off from work on Monday and get the parts replaced. Should finally get rid of the rattles.

Things to get checked: Power steering fluid leak ( was suspected by the Honda A.S.S, wanted to change the pump as well as the rack, I was skeptical. Been two months, and there hasn't been a drop in the fluid level)
Old 24th October 2014, 19:15   #5906
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Things to get checked: Power steering fluid leak ( was suspected by the Honda A.S.S, wanted to change the pump as well as the rack, I was skeptical. Been two months, and there hasn't been a drop in the fluid level)
Seems like HASS tries to Con us all in 1 lac service. At 1lac, my HASS also said PS is leaking. I said give me a bottle of oil, and if required I'll top it up and bring if it fails. Its been 15K kms and 6 months, all seems well - touch wood.

Engine mount costs just 1900/- wow. Any pictures of pads and mounts before installation?
Old 24th October 2014, 20:57   #5907
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Seems like HASS tries to Con us all in 1 lac service. At 1lac, my HASS also said PS is leaking. I said give me a bottle of oil, and if required I'll top it up and bring if it fails. Its been 15K kms and 6 months, all seems well - touch wood.

Engine mount costs just 1900/- wow. Any pictures of pads and mounts before installation?
Please check the power steering hoses.In my case the serpentine belt was smeared in oil due a leaky hose.With the engine off please check the belt for oil residue.

The hose at honda costed around 14k but my garage guy sourced a good as oe one for 7k.In my case the oil level was dropping immediately by next day after topping up.
Old 24th October 2014, 21:41   #5908
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
Of late, I have been facing issues with the low-end throttle response of the Civic. I don't know if it's related to my driving or if it's an inherent problem with the engine, but there is a lot of stuttering and jerking in first gear. This occurs predominantly when I start moving after being stationary and also occasionally at high speeds during gear changes when there is a moment of lag and a little jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
After getting the cleaning done ask for a ecu reset to be done via the hds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Before going to the extreme step of replacing parts try the following-
clean the Throttle body,
clean MAF, (above the air filter box) if you can not DIY go to a FNG and get this done.
Clean Throttle Position Sensor.
I might sound stupid, but will a new pair of shoes cause all the trouble that I stated in my previous post? The reason I am asking is that three days of regular office commute in my formal shoes posed no problems whatsoever except for the lag and an occasional jerk during gear changes at high rpms that I am planning to anyway check. Today, I was back with the new shoes and, sure enough, the stuttering and jerking in first gear returned.

A little bit of googling revealed that shoes could indeed affect the 'feel' of the pedals thereby affecting driving characteristics which, I guess, is what I faced. I have quite a bit of driving to be done over the weekend during which I am planning to observe the engine's response and gearshifts carefully.
Old 24th October 2014, 23:37   #5909
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
I might sound stupid, but will a new pair of shoes cause all the trouble that I stated in my previous post? .
Happens to the best of us sometimes.I used to have similar problems too but i have adjusted with the shoes by adjusting the seating position.When you driving with casual shoes something like Converse Chuck Taylor's can help drive better as they have a thin sole and give a great pedal feel.I have a pair but i have stopped using them now as i mentioned previously i have adjusted with my regular shoes.
Old 25th October 2014, 12:50   #5910
BHPian

Took the delivery of the car 2 days back. Car has done 18800 Kms to be exact. Bought Shell Helix 5W40 HX7 Fully synthetic oil from their pump itself. They gave 200 rs discount as I did a full tank. Got the oil changed from a Bosch service centre. Made them pour exactly 3.8L after a complete drain to the last very drop. Also did tyre alignment and a good wash. She runs well.
aa_asif is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks