Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2014, 14:06   #6046
BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Wheel balancing should be done every 5K kms. Not all wheel balancing shops are competent.Find one from team bhp directory which are of repute.
Got it done previously from HASS Kalina. What a Pity. Thanks anyways
Old 18th November 2014, 14:20   #6047
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
No need to change the springs, if the springs have gone weak, the car will sag down way too much.
The price mentioned is almost equal to HASS. 13.K for the shocks ??? I got a quote of 6K (12K) from shocks from HASS (Magnum Honda)
Do you see any leaks(oil stain) in the struts ? if yes, then definetely your shocks have gone bust.
For the thud noise first check Lower arm bushes, next strut mounting(you can just change the strut mounting kit - cost around 1.5-2K), tie rod ends, ball joints then the strut/shocks.
How is your transmission mount & engine mount ?

HASS had diagnosed a weak suspension and lower ball joints 2 years ago.My trusted garage guy Joe said at that time it's fine and i can still carry on which i did.I had gone last week to get the mount changed (front driver side) and while driving the car Joe mentioned that the suspension has gone bust and would need to be replaced.I asked him about the springs and he said that i should change same so i am just going by his word.I guess the prices in Mumbai are a bit different overall even if i go with HASS i would end up paying more than independant garage as Hass would charge vat/tax etc. Joe would be opening up the car and would be replacing the parts as needed but as per him the shocks and the ball joints have to go.I am just hoping i don't have to replace everything
but i think it's wise to replace whatever is needed as i have plans to keep the car for a long time.
Old 18th November 2014, 15:06   #6048
BANNED

If the car has done 80,000km plus then changing the springs at the same time is the way to go.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2014, 21:06   #6049
Senior - BHPian

It depends on the driving style. For a good part of my civic's 99k km run till date, it was driven by my dad. A very sedate driver who probably never even revved it beyond 3k rpm I was happy flying over potholes on my Grade Punto at that time. That's probably the reason HASS reported that my car's suspension is still good to go.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2014, 21:38   #6050
Senior - BHPian

The left shocks gone for sure as same was confirmed by 2 diff garages.So i will be replacing the struts at both front ends.The springs only cost 3k or so extra so i am changing them as well as that is not much expensive.However if difference was more than 5k i would have considered not changing.However my mechanic has said the springs have to go so something must ge wrong with them.
Old 20th November 2014, 23:58   #6051
Senior - BHPian

Odo tampering is a pretty common issue if one ventures into the used car market. My friend is looking to get a pre- worshipped ride, any decent sedan within 5 lakhs so we went hunting for a well maintained ride. Which brings me to my question. I've seen tampered analog odometers, but how easy or how difficult is it to tamper with the digital odo on the civic? The folks at the A.S.S can certainly do it but what about your neighbourhood garages?
Old 21st November 2014, 07:15   #6052
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Odo tampering is a pretty common issue if one ventures into the used car market. My friend is looking to get a pre- worshipped ride, any decent sedan within 5 lakhs so we went hunting for a well maintained ride. Which brings me to my question. I've seen tampered analog odometers, but how easy or how difficult is it to tamper with the digital odo on the civic? The folks at the A.S.S can certainly do it but what about your neighbourhood garages?
My Civic's key was duplicated by Key Masters outside HASS within half n hour along with chip etc.This process at HASS takes a few days .I don't think it's difficult to tamper the ODO even on the Civic , i am sure it's quite possible.

Best is to take the car to Honda to find out service history, check the condition of the tyres, pedals etc for tell tale signs of heavy usage and low mileage.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2014, 08:10   #6053
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Odo tampering is a pretty common issue if one ventures into the used car market. I've seen tampered analog odometers, but how easy or how difficult is it to tamper with the digital odo on the civic? The folks at the A.S.S can certainly do it but what about your neighbourhood garages?
Quote:
My Civic's key was duplicated by Key Masters outside HASS within half n hour along with chip etc.This process at HASS takes a few days .I don't think it's difficult to tamper the ODO even on the Civic , i am sure it's quite possible.
Normally Instrument Panel Clusters when tested as a component ODO readings are accumulated by the IPC based on a few messages on the CAN. If you can isolate your IPC and do the same thing in real life, its very much possible. You should know about those messages, and that is quite easy for the guys who regularly do the same for a price or an insider from Tier1/OEM
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2014, 07:53   #6054
Senior - BHPian

I have decided to adopt a more sedate driving style after i have roughed up my suspension on my Civic.I noticed in my new style of driving the RPM rarely exceeds more than 2.5K. Now in my Maruti 800 there was a secondary butterfly which would get jammed if the vehicle was not driven at higher speed or at higher RPM.

I understand there is a similar mechanism in the Civic. I wanted to know if driving at sedate speeds would cause any issues with the Civic's engine in any way.Yes i know the vtec loves to be revved but i would ,to preserve the car, prefer to do so once a while.But for the other times would it have adverse effect on the internal of the engines the way it affected my 800.

Thanks
Old 23rd November 2014, 09:46   #6055
BANNED

Quote:
I have decided to adopt a more sedate driving style after i have roughed up my suspension on my Civic.../.
I understand there is a similar mechanism in the Civic. I wanted to know if driving at sedate speeds would cause any issues with the Civic's engine in any way.
It the Civic it is the second cam which is switched in at speed. Since the area is bathed in oil at all times, this should not be a problem. I also drive sedately, and seldom exceed 2500 rpm since in the AT it corresponds to 125kph (not legal on any road in India I know of, though they say the Lucknow-Agra Expressway, if it happens, will have a 120kph limit).
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2014, 20:14   #6056
BHPian

I gave my 2007 Honda Civic 'S' AT (done 32,000 kms) for servicing last weekend. Got the SA to remove 'AC Cleaning' and 'Nitrogen Filling' from the list of work items. Got him to take the car on a test drive to check on the clunking noise coming on uneven roads while taking right turn. The mechanic who came for the test drive said that it was most likely an issue with rack and pinion and claimed that it's no big deal and even if replaced, the sound could come back again.

Look forward to inputs if any of fellow Civic owners have faced this issue and what was the resolution.

The SA also said that suspension was a bit weak, but it would most likely last another 20,000 kms. With my kind of driving it takes me to 2018.

I was extremely happy about the fact that the servicing (including general check-up and fluid top-ups - I had gotten the Total Quartz 7000 filled up 4 months back at a cost of Rs. 1,800 including the oil filter) came to a grand sum of Rs. 1449. As usual, after the servicing, I felt that the car was running like new. Not sure what these Honda A** guys do, but it feels like magic.
Old 24th November 2014, 11:45   #6057
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-dk View Post
The SA also said that suspension was a bit weak, but it would most likely last another 20,000 kms. With my kind of driving it takes me to 2018.
I have done 1,36,000+ kms in 7.5 years and so far no work was done on the suspension.
manim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2014, 16:33   #6058
BHPian

Hi Guys

I am posting this on behalf of a friend
He recently shifted to Pune & bought a Civic there. He has been facing a lot of issues, some of the issues he got rectified at the Honda service station. But there is one issue he has been facing and is unable to rectify -
The car seems tilted towards the front when the car is seen from back or side on
The car doesn't bottom out and the rear suspension seems stiff.
What could be the issue - Is the rear suspension been worked up

Plus the car gets heated from the front end - near the legs (both driver and the passenger side) - what issue could it be?

Thanks in advance (Kindly help)
Old 25th November 2014, 13:58   #6059
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniq62 View Post
Hi Guys

I am posting this on behalf of a friend
He recently shifted to Pune & bought a Civic there. He has been facing a lot of issues, some of the issues he got rectified at the Honda service station. But there is one issue he has been facing and is unable to rectify -
The car seems tilted towards the front when the car is seen from back or side on
The car doesn't bottom out and the rear suspension seems stiff.
What could be the issue - Is the rear suspension been worked up

Plus the car gets heated from the front end - near the legs (both driver and the passenger side) - what issue could it be?

Thanks in advance (Kindly help)
What did the Honda folks say? You said some of the issues were rectified by them, couldn't they identify the reason for the above issue?

The suspension needs to be checked, either at a competent garage or at the A.S.S. Sagging from one end is not normal under any circumstances.

Regarding the heat issue, maybe the pads are really worn out. If driven for a long time, they tend to radiate a lot of heat and emit a burnt rubber smell. A visual inspection can ascertain the condition of the pads.

I would advise your friend to check the service history of the car. If he's just bought the Civic, then these are glaring issues which he failed to check for before purchase.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2014, 14:14   #6060
BHPian

Guys, A dead bird wreaked havoc inside the hood of my Civic.Can't understand how it landed up there! Found that one of the three wires connected to the alternator is damaged.Can someone tell to what these 3 wires supply power to?
Thanks
ramanak is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks