Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2014, 22:54   #6076
BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Hey Thanks Saket. I maintain 30 PSI in all the three tyres. I hope thats cool.
Old 1st December 2014, 10:12   #6077
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
What did the Honda folks say? You said some of the issues were rectified by them, couldn't they identify the reason for the above issue?

The suspension needs to be checked, either at a competent garage or at the A.S.S. Sagging from one end is not normal under any circumstances.

Regarding the heat issue, maybe the pads are really worn out. If driven for a long time, they tend to radiate a lot of heat and emit a burnt rubber smell. A visual inspection can ascertain the condition of the pads.

I would advise your friend to check the service history of the car. If he's just bought the Civic, then these are glaring issues which he failed to check for before purchase.

Hi Thanks for the prompt response

He bought the car from the dealer and the service records are not available. When he went to Honda, he got a few things rectified and the others I asked him to hold on for some time, check and consult some one else also before getting anything done.

Honda guys said that the car's suspension is gone (which they have even said for my Honda City like 2 years back and it has been working fine till date) and since the quote was very high for the same I asked him to consult some other guy.

He has spoken to a guy in Bosch and he offers to do it in a much lesser amount and has suggested a few brands to pick from (like Gabriel). My friend is not sure about the things done from outside. Any suggestions?
Old 1st December 2014, 12:55   #6078
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniq62 View Post
Hi Thanks for the prompt response

He bought the car from the dealer and the service records are not available. When he went to Honda, he got a few things rectified and the others I asked him to hold on for some time, check and consult some one else also before getting anything done.

Honda guys said that the car's suspension is gone (which they have even said for my Honda City like 2 years back and it has been working fine till date) and since the quote was very high for the same I asked him to consult some other guy.

He has spoken to a guy in Bosch and he offers to do it in a much lesser amount and has suggested a few brands to pick from (like Gabriel). My friend is not sure about the things done from outside. Any suggestions?
Don't get me wrong, but your friend was a bit callous in buying the car without doing a proper background check. How come the service records aren't available with the dealer? The very fact that they are not to be found suggest some cover up.

Take the car to an independent garage and get it checked thoroughly. If your friend is skeptical about getting it done outside, Take it to a different dealership. Don't give them a back story. Just let them assess the vehicle condition. I get my car's service done at Honda and if any parts are to be replaced, I get it done at an independent garage.
Old 2nd December 2014, 16:49   #6079
BHPian

Regarding this issue mentioned in this post http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3559495 , the part finally arrived on 22nd Nov Sat, they have replaced the Auto Tensioner Pulley and the noise still persists.

After almost keeping my car for two weeks , they still couldn't diagnose the source of the noise. They have called me to ask if they can dismantle the engine to diagnose the noise. I'm shocked beyond belief , Cannot fathom how a small belt like noise requires Engine dismantling?

I'm going to Bavdhan Service center in Pune tomorrow morning to speak Service GM, ChandraSekhar, can you please advice what should be my next steps? I do not want the Engine of my Civic to be dismantled. It is just 4 years old and has done only 16k Kms. I already paid 50% for the part? Can i expect a refund?

Last edited by Sushubh : 2nd December 2014 at 16:49. Reason: Typos
Old 3rd December 2014, 15:08   #6080
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushubh View Post

I'm going to Bavdhan Service center in Pune tomorrow morning to speak Service GM, ChandraSekhar, can you please advice what should be my next steps? I do not want the Engine of my Civic to be dismantled. It is just 4 years old and has done only 16k Kms. I already paid 50% for the part? Can i expect a refund?
Don't get the engine dismantled. Honda folk are very good at arm twisting. My civic had been submerged in water. I got it towed and stood there when they finally said that the water hadn't entered the engine. The next day, they claimed that they needed to open up the engine as water had supposedly entered. I stood my ground, Southend Honda had to finally drop their baseless claim. Opening up the engine was supposedly going to set me back by another 40k by their estimates. My car has done 35k kms after that, no issues whatsoever.

I'd advise you to take it even to Mumbai if necessary, to get your issue rectified. It'll be easier to find a reputed workshop in mumbai.
coolkurt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2014, 16:34   #6081
BHPian

Quote:
Don't get the engine dismantled. Honda folk are very good at arm twisting. My civic had been submerged in water. I got it towed and stood there when they finally said that the water hadn't entered the engine. The next day, they claimed that they needed to open up the engine as water had supposedly entered. I stood my ground, Southend Honda had to finally drop their baseless claim. Opening up the engine was supposedly going to set me back by another 40k by their estimates. My car has done 35k kms after that, no issues whatsoever.

I'd advise you to take it even to Mumbai if necessary, to get your issue rectified. It'll be easier to find a reputed workshop in mumbai.
Thank you, Went to Bavdhan work shop of Crystal Honda today, spoke to their Service GM Mr Chandrashekhar Marathe and Service Head Mr Gokhale. They told me they have conducted several tests and all parameters seems normal. These tests include compression, fuel consumption, oil pressure etc.

They suspect the noise is coming from a faulty connecting rod. This noise is not audible when the bonnet is open, is audible only from the passenger compartment. The noise emanates from a warm Engine and when torque is applied, i.e. when I move the gear from N to D or R, between idle and 1.5k RPM's.

As per them, there are usually 4 rods in total and each one costs around 10k. The initial estimate, they have given me is 10K for consumables and they will only be able to diagnose after they dismantle the engine. Told them, not to dismantle the engine, till i give them a return approval.

I'm really confused and want to get a second opinion from an independent garage.
Old 4th December 2014, 12:26   #6082
BHPian

Did you get the car alignment done. You can go to "Straight Line" at santacruz near milan subway. I am sure he would be able to help. As for HASS suggesting changing the tyres it just shows how competent they are. A alignment & balancing job at Straight line would cost you no more than 900 bucks at Straight Line. Make sure you tell them you are from T-bhp :-)[/quote] Hey got it done from there. It drives like Makkhan at 120 KMPH. Appreciate it. He also mentioned that JK tyres are low grade but since I have 3 of them, that too new, he suggested me to use them till they worn out. He also exchanged a used Michelin with my old Bridgestone but I had to pay 1500 INR. Didnt mind for this trade. Now my car has 3 JK & 1 Michelin.
Old 4th December 2014, 15:09   #6083
Distinguished - BHPian

Can anybody provide me with a 2007 Civic, S-MT invoice? Needed for re-registration of the car at my place.

Thanks.
Old 5th December 2014, 08:50   #6084
Senior - BHPian

Guys need your advice on this. Take a look at below set of pics.

This is a picture of the left side joints which seem to be fine.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-l20141205_074346.jpg

However this side (circled) joint seems to be a bit crooked.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-r20141205_074332.jpg

Some more pics of the crooked joint.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20141205_075501.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20141205_075640.jpg

Is this any cause for concern. I might show it to my garage guy but as of now a bit hard pressed for time to go to him.

Thanks all.
Old 5th December 2014, 21:23   #6085
Senior - BHPian

Are you experiencing any rattles from this side, bumper ride? If not, then I guess you don't have to worry about it, as of now.

Had got my 1,00,000 service done yest. ( Btw, the odo shows 100009, feels great!) The Honda folk asked me to get the AC serviced, some liquid they pour in the vents or so they said. But I refused. My car's air-con is an absolute chiller as is.

So my advice, if it ain't broke, why fix it.
Old 5th December 2014, 21:26   #6086
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are you experiencing any rattles from this side, bumper ride? If not, then I guess you don't have to worry about it, as of now.

Had got my 1,00,000 service done yest. ( Btw, the odo shows 100009, feels great!) The Honda folk asked me to get the AC serviced, some liquid they pour in the vents or so they said. But I refused. My car's air-con is an absolute chiller as is.

So my advice, if it ain't broke, why fix it.
Actually the suspension was overhauled and this a new joint thingy which was put in hence i am concerned.
Old 7th December 2014, 13:13   #6087
Senior - BHPian

Major issue. I'm into the food business and owing to a shortage of transport, I had to use my civic as a mule for the first time. And now, I've got a small rat in my boot! Two questions.

1. How do I get it rid of it?

2. Is there any chance of it being able to enter the cabin?
Old 7th December 2014, 17:31   #6088
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Major issue. I'm into the food business and owing to a shortage of transport, I had to use my civic as a mule for the first time. And now, I've got a small rat in my boot! Two questions.

1. How do I get it rid of it?

2. Is there any chance of it being able to enter the cabin?
I guess if it gnaws through the seat it could reach the passenger compartment. To get rid of it there are several options.

Take the car to a open space and remove all the stuff from inside the boot, locate the rodent and shoo him away. Why i say open space so that the earth hopper does not have a place to hide and you can take his life if you want else he will simply scurry away and hide in a bush or something.

Another option you could get a cat and and place it the boot.Since you say the rat is small i am sure the cat will make a mice out of it and have it for supper

One option you could consider is a glue board (linky below). Mind you this is a stinky one and you probably find the hopper dead so this should be the last option if the above 2 fail. Good Luck

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post1943947
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2014, 11:04   #6089
Senior - BHPian

I'll try with a rat trap today. poor fellow must be hungry. locked in the boot for two days. let's see how it goes. Thankfully my seat is intact, for now.
Old 8th December 2014, 17:42   #6090
BHPian

Update on this post http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3594444

Got the car back, the noise is still audible at idle RPM's after the Engine gets warm. The Honda engineer off the record, recommended me to use an Engine Additive to reduce the noise. Anyone used Engine Additives before? Do you guys recommend it? I'm planning to take it to 'TuneUp Plus' at Baner for a second opinion on the noise.

Thanks CoolKurt for the reply and advice. I owe you a drink.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks