Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2014, 10:13   #5971
Team-BHP Support

Honda Civic Maintenance and Service Costs and Must dos

I own a city AT as well as a civic AT, both 2009 models with about 50k + kms on each. The Honda automatics are not prone to any problems so I wouldn't worry there.

The purchase price of comparable city and civic models is pretty close generally. For similar money, the civic gives you a LOT more car in terms of plushness and driving pleasure and overall comfort.

If FE is a very big concern then the City is much better on that front. However if you only plan this for occasional outstation trips then I'm not sure how much weightage you should give to this. On the flip side of course, the advantage of good FE in City is that you don't need to think twice about changing it to your daily drive should you tire of the zen, from an FE standpoint.

Since outstation trips are the primary use, do factor in whether the substantially smaller ~405 ltr boot of the civic is not a deal breaker. The city boot is fantastic at about ~500 ltrs.

PS: I often drive the City for its convenience - compact, one finger light to steer etc. But even after 5 years of ownership, every drive in the civic still leaves a big satisfied smile on my face. That's the unexplainable difference between the two.

Last edited by Axe77 : 7th November 2014 at 10:17.
Old 7th November 2014, 10:55   #5972
BANNED

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

@Axe77; My son and d-i-l have a City AVN and Amaze. he finds the Amaze really amazing esp in the city. I have the Civic and Brio, so we have all four of the lower end!
Old 7th November 2014, 15:46   #5973
Distinguished - BHPian

Members, kindly advice. Does changing the passenger side low beam headlamp bulb (HB4-9006) for the Civic involve too much hassle like opening of wheel cladding and all? Or is it easily accessible from the engine bay?

And which bulb should I be looking for? I am looking for better illumination and the replacement should be plug and play.

Thanks,
Saket
Old 7th November 2014, 16:18   #5974
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Members, kindly advice. Does changing the passenger side low beam headlamp bulb (HB4-9006) for the Civic involve too much hassle like opening of wheel cladding and all? Or is it easily accessible from the engine bay?

And which bulb should I be looking for? I am looking for better illumination and the replacement should be plug and play.

Thanks,
Saket
Not much of a hassle, For replacing left bulb turn your steering complete right, get a flat screw driver, remove the mudgard/splash guard clips (atleast 4-5 clips have to be removed).
Now the bulb holder is easily accessible, remove & replace the Bulb
Put the mudgard clips back.

I have Philips Crystal vision 4300K for Low (9006) & high (9005). I'm quite happy with the output.
Also I've additional Lights - Lighforce 240 Blitz, these I use it only on night Long drives & remove it when not in use.
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-dsc_2622.jpg
sushrutha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2014, 16:23   #5975
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Not much of a hassle, For replacing left bulb turn your steering complete right, get a flat screw driver, remove the mudgard/splash guard clips (atleast 4-5 clips have to be removed).
Now the bulb holder is easily accessible, remove & replace the Bulb
Put the mudgard clips back.

I have Philips Crystal vision 4300K for Low (9006) & high (9005). I'm quite happy with the output.
Thanks for the prompt reply. I am looking for yellow or slight touch of white light (not entirely white). Just want them to be brighter than the stock ones which are seriously inadequate. Kindly suggest on those lines.

Thanks.

Last edited by saket77 : 7th November 2014 at 16:25.
Old 7th November 2014, 16:36   #5976
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Thanks for the prompt reply. I am looking for yellow or slight touch of white light (not entirely white). Just want them to be brighter than the stock ones which are seriously inadequate. Kindly suggest on those lines.

Thanks.
Sylvania /OSRAM or PIAA are the better ones which I know
Check in Amazon.com PIAA is not available here, they are good ones
sushrutha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2014, 17:43   #5977
BHPian

Hello Folks,

I have a query regarding my Civic AT.
The car has done 1,27,000 kms and is due for servicing.
I have always got the servicing done at authorized Honda service centers only, so this time also i took my car to Ring Road Honda Peeragari (Delhi) today.

The executive there gave me the following estimate:
1. General Servicing = Rs.2000
2. Engine Oil and Filter = Rs.2000
3. Front Break Pads = Rs.7800
4. Air Filter and Fuel Filter = Rs.1500
5. Injector Cleaning = Rs.750
6. Break Cleaning = Rs.850
7. Fuel Line Cleaning = Rs.750

Total = Rs.15650 + Taxes = Roughly Rs.17,000.

Now as per me Rs.17000 is way too much for basic car servicing.
Therefore i am now looking for an alternate where i could get my car serviced at a fair price. All I need is, Genuine parts and Quality Service at a decent price.
Can someone suggest me a decent Workshop near West/North Delhi (Moti Nagar/Rajouri/Pitampura) matching my requirements.

Apart from this the other concern I have is that, My car is returning a really bad fuel efficiency. I am getting around 6 kmpl which as per me is quite low. I earlier used to get around 10-11 kmpl. The only thing i suspect is the change in usage, as the car now only runs about 200kms a month as opposed to 1500kms earlier. Could there be some other cause for this ?

I would therefore like to get your valuable opinions and suggestions for my above mentioned concerns.

--
Satyam Kaushik
Old 7th November 2014, 18:08   #5978
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
Need help . I am in two minds . I have been looking at a 17000Kms Civic Aug 2012 V AT , with Sunroof . The price owner is asking is 7.75lacs . The car is spotless .I intend to keep the car for about 8 years . My worry is/are
1.) What is the fuel economy light footed in City and Highway with and without 100% AC ?
2.) I see the mount etc cost in this thread which i am ok with , As of now the clearance in the mounts are good . In how much time/kms will i need to keep on replacing these mounts ?
3.) I am afraid of the automatic gearbox as i heard at Honda the gearbox in case develops any fault is INR 4 lacs in total , even just the clutch of automatic is about a lac . What are the parts that fail in this gearbox and approximate cost of changing same , in how much time / kms do they fail , require replacement ?
4.) I am fine with the running parts replacement costs like the brake pads , oils etc ,however i am just afraid i do not own a white elephant .
5.) The car will primarily be used for family as in outstation trips .For city i have my delightful Zen which does duty very cheap and reliably .
6.) Also is a City AT (prior to current ) a better option which also in a best condition is at about 7lacs in pre owned market?
7.) Also i heard the coils do fail often and are expensive to replace . How much do these costs ?
8.) Any thing specific i need to check in the Civic before putting money on it ?

Any other thought / pointers i will greatly appreciate.
I own the Civic AT.

Q1. FE - The Civic is both a beauty and a beast!
It has given me up till 18 kmpl with hypermiling.

Q5. For highway drives, the Civic is unbeatable!
Very safe and very stable at high speeds.

Q3. In 7.5 years and 1,35,000 kms I have had NO problems with the AT.
The gear changes are as always excellent.

Only thing you may need to look is if the previous owner had not abused it and had done the routine services.
Old 7th November 2014, 18:29   #5979
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Sylvania /OSRAM or PIAA are the better ones which I know
Check in Amazon.com PIAA is not available here, they are good ones
I think the Osram NB+ is available in India. It will be an excellent choice - about 20% brighter but a tad bluer. I have it as H4 on my Brio.
Old 7th November 2014, 18:55   #5980
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I think the Osram NB+ is available in India. It will be an excellent choice - about 20% brighter but a tad bluer. I have it as H4 on my Brio.
I installed a pair of Osram NB+ for my high beams, bought them from Flipkart last year. I must say the range and brightness of the headlights has increased by around 25%.
However if you have around 10k cash and are ready to invest in a projector headlamp setup then I suggest you choose this option instead.

Last edited by Derezzed : 7th November 2014 at 18:57. Reason: bought them from Flipkart last year
Old 7th November 2014, 20:07   #5981
BHPian

I bought the Osram NB Unlimited from Ebay.in for 2999 each pair. I'm very impressed with High beam performance. However, i notice on the low beam, the focus of the beam is exactly in front of driver view and it is creating a blind spot on the left side, ahead of the front passenger line of sight. Is this normal or i need to get the beam adjusted?

Also, my car electrician did a lousy job as he dropped the bulb while installing and picked it using his bare hands. I observed the lamps with a torch and noticed a finger print on the bulb. Is this something to worry about?
Old 8th November 2014, 09:16   #5982
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushubh View Post
Also, my car electrician did a lousy job as he dropped the bulb while installing and picked it using his bare hands. I observed the lamps with a torch and noticed a finger print on the bulb. Is this something to worry about?
No sweat if they have not been powered up. Just clean with a clean tissue/cloth with alcohol (IsoPropanol used for injections, often called medical/surgical spirit, and available with most chemists will do nicely). Even if they have been powered up, still cleaning with alcohol may help, but the fingerprints may have been etched in.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2014, 11:24   #5983
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamkaushik View Post
Hello Folks,

I have a query regarding my Civic AT.
The car has done 1,27,000 kms and is due for servicing.
I have always got the servicing done at authorized Honda service centers only, so this time also i took my car to Ring Road Honda Peeragari (Delhi) today.

The executive there gave me the following estimate:
1. General Servicing = Rs.2000
2. Engine Oil and Filter = Rs.2000
3. Front Break Pads = Rs.7800
4. Air Filter and Fuel Filter = Rs.1500
5. Injector Cleaning = Rs.750
6. Break Cleaning = Rs.850
7. Fuel Line Cleaning = Rs.750

Total = Rs.15650 + Taxes = Roughly Rs.17,000.

Now as per me Rs.17000 is way too much for basic car servicing.
Therefore i am now looking for an alternate where i could get my car serviced at a fair price.
--
Satyam Kaushik
You can check out the Team-Bhp Directory and you'll be able to find a decent neighborhood garage:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/delhi-ncr/

From the estimate, I can see that the major expense are the brake pads. It'll be a lot cheaper if you buy the pads at a spare shop and get the pads changed at a local repair shop. Regular service can be done at the HASS.

I do the same. Take the Car to Honda A.S.S. Let them diagnose any problems/ parts to be replaced etc. Then I just tell them to do routine service and get the parts replaced outside.

My advice to you is to always get your car serviced from one place. That way they have access to your past service records and would be able to diagnose problems better. Since u've been getting ur car serviced at honda, they're the best to identify the reason for low FE. You can always get the necessary parts replaced outside if any.

Good luck and keep us posted.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2014, 22:23   #5984
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I need some advice regarding the maintenance of my accord.I couldn't find any other thread and require advice from the civic users.I have been doing repairs at the neighbourhood garage.Although the work seems to be ok,the spares are suspect and i have been having problems with the suspension. Iam based in surat,Gujarat.
1.Shock absorbers replaced, failed after 6 months of use.The dealer(Honda) was quoting a price of 17000 for a shock absorber.Is there any other place to get them.It is available on ebay.The shipping charges are more than the cost of the struts.My assumption is nothing goes wrong with the springs and problem is with the hydraulic leakage.Do we have to pay any customs duty?Is it enough to pay the DHL guy.
2. Suspension bushes also don't seem to be good.Any suggestions on that.Control arm,stabilizer bar and the the other bushes which are part of steering/suspension package.
3.The release bearing gave way.There were enough warning signals.There was a noise when the clutch was depressed.The gearbox was opened up.The FNG managed the release bearing.He got the pressure plate and clutch plate also.However after putting back there was no proper power delivery.He opened up the whole thing again.Although the splines,the pressure plate holes were matching exactly,there were some small dimensional differences .He could get another set but this also had differences,but he convinced me it would work out.After putting this the car would not cross 10kmph.I asked them to put back the original clutch and pressure plate,with the new release bearing.Things are working well,but i know i will have to change the clutch plate.Any suggestions on where to procure one.The advantage with this guy is he lets me around and supervise the work.
4. Replaced the wheel bearing of the rear wheel.I could hear a strange noise from the rear and there was a drop in the pick up.I asked the guy if he could just procure the bearing.There was a number on it and looked all over the net to try and find an equivalent skf number.The manufacturer was japanese.The FNG said the bearing alone is not available and i had to buy the whole hub assembly.However the bearings alone are available on ebay.

Need some suggestions from members around surat for a good workshop around or a place in Mumbai from where i could get spares.
Old 9th November 2014, 00:25   #5985
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by biju1971 View Post
I need some advice regarding the maintenance of my accord.I couldn't find any other thread and require advice from the civic users.I have been doing repairs at the neighbourhood garage.Although the work seems to be ok,the spares are suspect and i have been having problems with the suspension. Iam based in surat,Gujarat.

Need some suggestions from members around surat for a good workshop around or a place in Mumbai from where i could get spares.
I found a thread mentioning a FNG in Surat with a good review:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/other-...age-surat.html

You can check this place out. They ought to be able to diagnose your problem better and source the parts themselves and do the repair work.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks