Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2014, 18:39   #6091
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushubh View Post
Update on this post http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3594444

Got the car back, the noise is still audible at idle RPM's after the Engine gets warm. The Honda engineer off the record, recommended me to use an Engine Additive to reduce the noise. Anyone used Engine Additives before? Do you guys recommend it? I'm planning to take it to 'TuneUp Plus' at Baner for a second opinion on the noise.

Thanks CoolKurt for the reply and advice. I owe you a drink.
Good to hear you got the car back. The noise shouldn't be prominent even in the stock setup. Maybe it's an underlying issue waiting to explode in your face, or maybe it's trivial and it'll get ironed out after a while, only time will tell. A second opinion would be great. keep us posted
Old 9th December 2014, 14:11   #6092
BHPian

My car has developed a very soft low intensity "tuk tuk" noise while turning the steering at a speed of less than 5 Km/Hr. The noise is so feeble that I have turn off the AC and music to hear it inside the cabin. This sound comes only when the car is stationary or at parking speeds and trying to maneuver.
HASS people say that its due to weak powersteering pump and this is a common problem in Civic. They have asked me to ignore the sound and keep using the car as it is.

Would a flushing of powersteering fluid rectify the problem? Has anyone else faced this issue?

My car is 4 years old and has done 19500 kms till date.

Thanks in Advance.
Old 9th December 2014, 16:54   #6093
BANNED

Interesting observation what triggering the VTEC cam can do yo tour consumption. Just returned after a Kanpur-Gurgaon-Neemrana-Gurgaon-Kanpur trip. While I drove to and from Gurgaon in my normal sedate style, my son did the Neemrana trip. While in the Gurgaon part (1000km) I averaged about 14kpl at highway speeds and the Neemrana part (200km) done a bit quicker I got 11.1kpl. This is the same AT so shows what sedate and aggressive driving does.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 11th December 2014 at 01:19. Reason: Removed mentions of high speed.
Old 10th December 2014, 11:56   #6094
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa_asif View Post
My car has developed a very soft low intensity "tuk tuk" noise while turning the steering at a speed of less than 5 Km/Hr. The noise is so feeble that I have turn off the AC and music to hear it inside the cabin. This sound comes only when the car is stationary or at parking speeds and trying to maneuver.
It can be either of these
1. Driveshaft has gone bust, or the driveshaft bell is misaligned.(this produces kat kat sound)
2. Steering damper is slightly loose, just get it tightened

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Interesting observation what triggering the VTEC cam can do yo tour consumption. Just returned after a Kanpur-Gurgaon-Neemrana-Gurgaon-Kanpur trip. While I drove to and from Gurgaon in my normal sedate style, my son did the Neemrana trip. While in the Gurgaon part (1000km) I averaged about 14kpl (touching 120+ kpl in places) the Neemrana part (200km) done more aggressively (max 142kph) got 11.1kpl. This is the same AT so shows what sedate and aggressive driving does.
Best mileage I've acheived in MT Civic is when RPM is kept under 2500 & speed at 85kmph. Got around 20kmpl
I think VTEC cam opens at 1500-1800 rpm, member dot had done a DIY of putting a led indicator when the VTEC is ON & OFF

Last edited by sushrutha : 10th December 2014 at 12:10.
sushrutha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2014, 13:04   #6095
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
It can be either of these
1. Driveshaft has gone bust, or the driveshaft bell is misaligned.(this produces kat kat sound)
2. Steering damper is slightly loose, just get it tightened

I was also suspecting drive shaft noise but that comes only when you put pressure on the shaft with a sharp turn. In my car's case. the sound comes only when I turn the steering while the car is stationary.

Steering damper problem was there in my previous i20 and it used to rattle on rough roads. I dont think thats the case. Even HASS never pointed a damper problem.

Would it be due to hardened tyres as they are 5 years old but looks almost brand new due to low mileage done.

Last edited by aa_asif : 10th December 2014 at 13:06.
Old 10th December 2014, 13:12   #6096
BHPian

Has any one removed the front number plate bracket which is fitted to the bumper? I tried removing and came to know that its bolted from inside the bumper
Now, I need to remove the entire front bumper to take off that stupid box. Is there any other workaround?
My plan is to fix the number plate directly on to the bumper with a 3M double sided sticker.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-photo.jpg  

Old 10th December 2014, 13:16   #6097
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was also suspecting drive shaft noise but that comes only when you put pressure on the shaft with a sharp turn. In my car's case. the sound comes only when I turn the steering while the car is stationary.

Steering damper problem was there in my previous i20 and it used to rattle on rough roads. I dont think thats the case. Even HASS never pointed a damper problem.

Would it be due to hardened tyres as they are 5 years old but looks almost brand new due to low mileage done.
I had a similar problem like what you have exactly described and the issue was with the strut bearings. They were changed once and the noise persisted. Took it back to HASS and they changed it one more time with a fresh set FOC and then the sound was gone. Not sure if a similar diagnosis was done to your car. Attaching the pic of the replaced part.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20140308_114908.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20140308_114922.jpg  

rr_zen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2014, 13:45   #6098
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Best mileage I've acheived in MT Civic is when RPM is kept under 2500 & speed at 85kmph. Got around 20kmpl
I am yet to see anything better than 14KMPL
Old 10th December 2014, 14:15   #6099
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Has any one removed the front number plate bracket which is fitted to the bumper? I tried removing and came to know that its bolted from inside the bumper
Now, I need to remove the entire front bumper to take off that stupid box. Is there any other workaround?
My plan is to fix the number plate directly on to the bumper with a 3M double sided sticker.
Nopes,
Bumper has to be removed in order to remove the number plate holder.
It's an easy affair to remove the Civic bumper, 2 screws at the side and around 8 push buttons at the bottom have to be unscrewed & removed.
I recently changed my bumper to post 09 Civic & this is how it looks without number plate holder.
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-8-2.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
I am yet to see anything better than 14KMPL
Give a try by driving in the specified region which I've mentioned, I'm sure you'll get better mileage.
My drive was entirely on a 4 lane highway, AC off & early morning.

Last edited by sushrutha : 10th December 2014 at 14:17.
sushrutha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2014, 16:30   #6100
BANNED

I once got 17+kpl on NH2/AH1 from Agra. This was a special situation due to traffic I did not cross 90kph, and tanked up outside Agra so only Kanpur was left. Seeing 18+kpl indicated I tanked up before going home.
Old 12th December 2014, 12:28   #6101
BHPian

Quote:
Bumper has to be removed in order to remove the number plate holder.
It's an easy affair to remove the Civic bumper, 2 screws at the side and around 8 push buttons at the bottom have to be unscrewed & removed.
Thanks, Even I have to get it done for a smaller number plate.
This is how she looks after 3 rounds of polishing, 2 rounds of C-Quartz and 1 round of Sealant. Haven't few of us fancied a Knight Rider after all
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-photo-4.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-photo-5.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-photo-1.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-photo-8.jpg  

aa_asif is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th December 2014, 13:35   #6102
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Interesting observation what triggering the VTEC cam can do yo tour consumption. Just returned after a Kanpur-Gurgaon-Neemrana-Gurgaon-Kanpur trip. While I drove to and from Gurgaon in my normal sedate style, my son did the Neemrana trip. While in the Gurgaon part (1000km) I averaged about 14kpl at highway speeds and the Neemrana part (200km) done a bit quicker I got 11.1kpl. This is the same AT so shows what sedate and aggressive driving does.
I did Kolkata-Ranchi in a moderate manner in my MT. Will not call it sedate, but was in no means aggressive. I averaged about 16.5KMPL.
However, returned yesterday from a 730 kms trip (Ranchi-Patna-Ranchi) with slightly heavier foot and some city traffic crossings. Overall FE was about 14.5 KMPL. For a 1800 CC petrol, I would say that these are good figures.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2014, 19:38   #6103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
I had a similar problem like what you have exactly described and the issue was with the strut bearings. They were changed once and the noise persisted. Took it back to HASS and they changed it one more time with a fresh set FOC and then the sound was gone. Not sure if a similar diagnosis was done to your car. Attaching the pic of the replaced part.
Thanks rr_zen! Do you remember how much the bill was? HASS guys blindly said that it could be a weak pump. How convenient!!
Old 13th December 2014, 11:08   #6104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks rr_zen! Do you remember how much the bill was? HASS guys blindly said that it could be a weak pump. How convenient!!
The bill was close to 2K. I was told that this issue was more prevalent in the City ZX models. The symptoms you have mentioned are exactly the same I witnessed and initially HASS tried to arrest the noise with liberal doses of WD 40 but in vain. Eventually, they had to replace the strut bearing. One of the guys working there also mentioned that this could happen due to the low mileage of the car and its infrequent usage. Mine is a 2010 model with 16k on the odo as of date.

I would suggest you go in for a second opinion at an FNG or a different HASS just to be sure.
rr_zen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2014, 20:33   #6105
Senior - BHPian

I think my car has a similar sound. When steering is turned lock to lock with the car stationary, there is a 'krrr' sound at the end of the turn. HASS had told me a couple of years ago that it's OK and I can drive on. The sound has remained the same since. And it does not happen always. No deterioration.

Can strut bearings go busy suddenly?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks