Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2015, 00:10   #6196
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
Hi Lokesh

I have emailed you the quote and also messages you the same.

And also there's simply no power steering oil leak in your car
ASS is trying to con you.

Thanks
This has become the norm nowadays. They especially try to con you on the same pretext at 1,00,000 kms service interval. Always verify from a trusty mechanic and only then give the go ahead.

@ sumeethaldankar

That depends. I've got an aftermarket mount and it's been holding good for more than a year now. And at 1100 bucks, it was a steal!
Old 21st January 2015, 12:27   #6197
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone elaborate on the parts that form a part of a 'suspension overhaul'? Also, there have been reports that Honda has fixed the rear suspension in the face-lift model, any idea what has been changed from the older setup?
Old 21st January 2015, 12:35   #6198
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
As per the service advisor the mount's original design had a flaw which they tried to rectify.He showed me around 3-4 different part nos for the same engine mount which means several different versions were made before they seemed to have eradicated the design flaw.So if you guys were to go to Honda to change the mount,do make sure you have the latest version.Tell them you have learnt there are several designs and you want only the latest one.
Sumeet, that is a very useful information for Civic owners. Can you please find out the part numbers from your SA so that whenever we face the engine mount problem in our cars, we can opt for the latest design which should hold better.

Thanks.
Old 21st January 2015, 12:58   #6199
BHPian

So here is the estimate sent to me by fellow BHPian Jatin from Wagenwerkz:
--------------------------------------------
Front shocks -16,500
Rear shocks -11,200
Clutch set (clutch plate ,pressure plate,release bearing)- 7200
Flywheel -if required and cost can be said only upon seeing what type of flywheel is fitted.

Labour
Front and rear shocks replacement-2300
Clutch overhaul with flywheel resurfacing(if needed)-3500
Right side running board repair and repaint -3400

Time taken approximately 2-3days.
-----------------------------------------------

At the cost of being repetitive, here are the issues that I'm trying to address:
- Hard Clutch - the car has that distinct knocking at low RPMs and needs revving especially in 1st and 2nd gears. Needs to be pressed all the way down in first & second shifts.
- Noise from front shock assembly - similar to what something that has rusted with less lubrication. Plus distinct noise when the wheel gets in pot hole or rides a bump
- Sound from the steering - sort of screech when turned in park mode to reverse or leave parking. this also resembles something that lacks lubrication. HASS said "minor oil leak" and Jatin said nothing like that but can be some other issue within steering column which he will find.
- Vibration at low RPMs - typical case of engine mount being the culprit. HASS has recommended replacement citing it to be weak, while Jatin says nothing wrong as of now.
- Minor denting/painting jobs

I'd attached HASS estimate in previous posts.

Jatin's estimate seems to be the obvious choice here from whatever I could ponder on the comparison.

I was planning to handover my car to Jatin tomorrow and wanted to understand if any of the fellow BHPians here have got anything to add?

P.S. Also if any fellow BHPian can oblige by sharing his experience with Jatin/Wagenwerkz in general or specific to Civic. I have seen the thread where his services are discussed in detail, but failed to spot anything particular on Civic.
I know you may see this post Jatin, but don't misunderstand me for a fussy customer. I'm just trying to convince myself harder with the help of fellow BHPians
Old 21st January 2015, 15:41   #6200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lokesh View Post

P.S. Also if any fellow BHPian can oblige by sharing his experience with Jatin/Wagenwerkz in general or specific to Civic. I have seen the thread where his services are discussed in detail, but failed to spot anything particular on Civic.
A fellow bhpIan's experience with his civic is there as post number 29 on the Wagenwerks thread.

Also, shouldn't the flywheel part number of a civic be same for all model years and a fairly common part. Don't think there were any power train changes during the civic's run in India.
Arun Venugopal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2015, 16:12   #6201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun Venugopal View Post
A fellow bhpIan's experience with his civic is there as post number 29 on the Wagenwerks thread.

Also, shouldn't the flywheel part number of a civic be same for all model years and a fairly common part. Don't think there were any power train changes during the civic's run in India.
Thanks Arun, just saw that review. Highlights few issues, but still recommends wagenwerkz. Still in 2 minds

Tried to respond to the reviewer within that thread with some questions but seems that I cannot respond/reply. No clue why? Can any Mod here help please?
Old 21st January 2015, 21:02   #6202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Arun, just saw that review. Highlights few issues, but still recommends wagenwerkz. Still in 2 minds

Tried to respond to the reviewer within that thread with some questions but seems that I cannot respond/reply. No clue why? Can any Mod here help please?
Is it just me or the prices for parts are higher in mumbai?

Daikin Exedy clutch set - price here is around 5k. Flywheel, if found in a good condition can just be skimmed for another 200-300 bucks.

Labour rates are on the higher side.Again, no idea if that's a delhi vs mumbai thing. For eg a clutch replacement should set you back by around Rs 1500, not more.

P.S: No idea about wagenwerkz. Am sure they do a good job. But I'm just providing a reference point as far as prices are concerned.
Old 21st January 2015, 21:23   #6203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Is it just me or the prices for parts are higher in mumbai?
Coolkurt buddy , yes it's a mumbai vs delhi thing.Why spares even on road prices are different in mumbai and delhi.Just try comparing on road prices for the two places and you will see the difference

Quote:
So here is the estimate sent to me by fellow BHPian Jatin from Wagenwerkz:
--------------------------------------------
Front shocks -16,500
Rear shocks -11,200
Clutch set (clutch plate ,pressure plate,release bearing)- 7200
Flywheel -if required and cost can be said only upon seeing what type of flywheel is fitted.
Once the car is open i doubt these will be the only suspension components which would be needed to be changed.Have you got the car examined from him.A front suspension overhaul only cost me ~ 33.5 K from another garage.I haven't touched the rear suspension yet. Change only what is needed.

For the clutch if it's hard then i suppose it should be changed.If it's sinking to the floor or feels limp or it goes all way the down to the floor for it to be engaged than it could be the master/slave cylinder.These are not cheap.

The flywheel at Hass costs around 15K and should be priced around same figure if a new one is to be put in.I hope Hass did not mean minor leak in the steering rack or in the power steering pump.If either of these 2 are leaking then they need to be overhauled promptly.At hass for steering rack it should be around 10-12K and ditto for the pump.

Good Luck.
Old 21st January 2015, 23:09   #6204
BHPian

Quote:
Once the car is open i doubt these will be the only suspension components which would be needed to be changed.
=====
At hass for steering rack it should be around 10-12K and ditto for the pump.

Good Luck.

Hi Sumeet, yes the car has been examined personally before this quote came in. I'm hoping not to get a shock later! For steering wheel, Jatin has diagnosed that there's no leak but then the noise is worrying me, which he has promised to look into.
Car goes in for this whole list of works on Friday. Will update once it's back.
Cheers!
Old 22nd January 2015, 10:15   #6205
Senior - BHPian

Bill for the engine oil leakage, transmission oil leakage and the clutch/slave master cylinder.Leaks were from the oil seals and not a major thing to worry about.The axle oil seal leak was courtesy Pia motors who damaged the original seals while refitting the clutch/transmission.The seals took 3 days to come as they were not in stock.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20150122_095844.jpg

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 22nd January 2015 at 10:19.
Old 22nd January 2015, 11:14   #6206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bill for the engine oil leakage, transmission oil leakage and the clutch/slave master cylinder
Are these rates from HASS?

1lokesh - the labour rates seems quite reasonable considering what I have seen in many FNGs around Bangalore.

Why are you worrying with wagenwerkz? Is it the labour cost? Is it the parts cost? or is it just workmanship?

For suspension components overhaul, workmanship required is just to raise your car on a lift and remove the nuts, bolts and pins which keeps all those independent components in place. I beleive all FNGs have the required tools to realease these components and does not hammer around for loosening them. If you are unsure be around with them, there is nothing here that requires great skill other than the knowledge of what to open

Component costs - this has become offlate too intriguing starting from killer rates in Delhi to rip off in HASS. What you need here is somebody giving you a satisfaction and support if things go wrong. If wagenwerkz can give you that please go ahead with them. He might take his cut for the components, and that's fair I would say.

the example I am referring is the front shocks, the by roads in an our automotive hub in Bangalore gives you OEM shocks for the front around 3500 or so I was told. HASS told me it would cost 7900, My FNG said it would cost 20 to 30% cheaper than HASS. Now if I want HASS, I go to HASS and pay whatever they ask me to pay. Now if I go to my FNG - I have two options, agree for the labour and get the components from wherever it is cheap. FNG would not help you out with a part failure since you chose the components. If all goes well money saved for sure. Now if you let FNG to source the parts, they might source and take a cut from you, but they will definitely help you out later if an issue crop up. If this is your worry talk it out.

Now why I wrote all this is simple, I did not really understand what was your actual concern.

I don't know jatin, or wagenwerkz
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 12:35   #6207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Are these rates from HASS?

1lokesh - the labour rates seems quite reasonable considering what I have seen in many FNGs around Bangalore.

Why are you worrying with wagenwerkz? Is it the labour cost? Is it the parts cost? or is it just workmanship?

Now why I wrote all this is simple, I did not really understand what was your actual concern.

I don't know jatin, or wagenwerkz
Hey laluks,

My worry stems from the fact that this will be the only second time my Civic will get into an FNG ever. First experience (in Gurgaon) wasn't really good and post that it has always been sent to HASS. Not that they haven't screwed up ever but I have got them to track by escalating to highest (and I mean highest) level at Honda.

Now when the jobs that have been pending for a while are about to set me back easily by half a thousand grands at least, it makes sense for me to explore a trustworthy FNG who is cost effective, has excellent workmanship and uses genuine/OEM parts.

But then at the same time, being madly in love with my car, I wanted first hand advice from fellow experienced BHPians on the cost estimates and wagenwerkz's equity - before it gets into an unknown garage :-)
Looking at the good reviews of wagenwerkz and cost comparisons/bench-marking that I have seen around in this forum, I have finally decided to hand over the car to him tomorrow for good 3 days.

Will post updates once I get the car back.

Cheers!
1lokesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 13:23   #6208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey laluks,

My worry stems from the fact that this will be the only second time my Civic will get into an FNG ever. First experience (in Gurgaon) wasn't really good .....

Will post updates once I get the car back.

Cheers!
Ah! Perfectly understandable
I also had this set of emotions when I took the car to FNG. But then I made them do smaller work first, hang around there, guage them and then move on to costly ones.

Currently have found two, one where I go for less labour with parts sourced by myself - Significantly cheaper preposition and the other for sourcing parts through them and getting some piece of mind - relatively expensive, and have to pay taxes as well .
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2015, 00:48   #6209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun Venugopal View Post

Arun

Yes there are part number changes in flywheel for civic specially civic between 07-08 model year.

Thanks
Old 23rd January 2015, 13:39   #6210
BHPian

Guys!

Took delivery of my car from HASS yesterday, post the 60,000 kilometer service.
Today morning, when I was cleaning the interiors, I thought I'd take a look at the cabin filter(located inside the glove box).

So, I started off with removing all the stuff out and then, unclipping the glove box and BAMM! I pulled out the filter compartment, and there was NO FILTER in it! :O

What I want to ask y'all, is that what is the cabin filter listed as in the invoice?
Like, what is the product code for the cabin filter?

So I can check and tally if they have charged me for it. Any leads would be helpful. Thanks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks