Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2014, 11:08   #5446
BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Today morning, I turned the starter and heard a high frequency clicking sound with dashboard light flashing on and off at same frequency and the car did not start.

Read some internet material and it appears to be low battery/bad terminals.
I had already replaced the battery about a year ago with Exide Matrix and it has been dead once already. It appears to show its colors again. Will check the battery in the evening. Meanwhile has anyone faced this before?
Old 28th April 2014, 15:46   #5447
Senior - BHPian

Did repair the car at Vision Honda in Kottayam and I am very happy with the results. They "undented" and painted the left fender and front bumper and replaced the ORVM. Total cost came to about 22k of which I paid about 8.7k. Rest was paid by insurance company.

I also got the brakes inspected and they said the pads will go for another 1500 kms and can be replaced later. The cylinder can be fixed by grinding and no need to change them. This was different from total replacement requested by Dakshin folks for about 14k.
Old 28th April 2014, 20:29   #5448
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
I drove the car in the morning with the a/c set at 25 and it chilled the cabin within minutes.After sometime i parked the car and started again after a while and switched on the a/c i found mysef sweating inside the car with the temp again at 25.The i changed the temp to 22 and checked but the same.It refused to cool and though there was no warm air coming i started to sweat inside the car.

When i turn the knob for the a/c to the lower side i can hear the sound of the blowers getting louder.I am assuming this is normal but what can be the result of the a/c not working.The a/c fan was switching on and off.Also in the sight glass of the a/c in the morning before driving i could see the white stuff floating when i switched on the a/c but after the drive i found it to be colorless.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

Guys any inputs on this . Thanks
Old 29th April 2014, 00:43   #5449
BHPian

You are probably low on Ac refrigerant.

Thanks
jatinpatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2014, 00:58   #5450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Was the car moving at this time? Sometimes during peek summers and when the car gets a bit old the cooling kicks in after the cars starts moving a bit.

I would give the AC condenser a good wash and then maybe check the gas levels and refill if required.
Captain Slow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2014, 06:27   #5451
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post
Today morning, I turned the starter and heard a high frequency clicking sound with dashboard light flashing on and off at same frequency and the car did not start.

Read some internet material and it appears to be low battery/bad terminals.
I had already replaced the battery about a year ago with Exide Matrix and it has been dead once already. It appears to show its colors again. Will check the battery in the evening. Meanwhile has anyone faced this before?
Signs of the battery gone kaput. U'll have to get it checked. If it's a recurring problem, the battery seems defective. Ask for a replacement.
Old 29th April 2014, 08:14   #5452
BHPian

Quote:
I don't know about your problem but here is feedback about mine:

Drove 400 kms in last two weeks in very hot conditions, 37 to 40 deg C with four people on board.
I felt the AC to be just about okay, it was not chill but it did its job.

At nearly 7 years old with only routine services done and odo at 1.32 lakh kms, it looks like a engineering marvel from Honda.

Will be going for a routine service soon.

Last edited by manim : 29th April 2014 at 08:17.
Old 29th April 2014, 10:11   #5453
BANNED

For the AC owners I would strongly suggest install the Dust & Pollen filter. Actually the Accord filter fits but try and get one outside (eBay / Amazon, etc). Also, if you are going for a major clean up internally then definitely install a filter immediately after this.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2014, 12:10   #5454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
For the AC owners I would strongly suggest install the Dust & Pollen filter. Actually the Accord filter fits but try and get one outside (eBay / Amazon, etc). Also, if you are going for a major clean up internally then definitely install a filter immediately after this.
I suppose you are referring to the one which is accessible by unhooking the glove box. Does this help in preventing odour inside the cabin upon switching on the A/C?

I have this odour problem in my Civic for quite sometime now and have learned to live with it since it happens only the first time the A/C is switched on for the day. The HASS used some vents cleaning spray during last service but that didn't help much.
Old 29th April 2014, 17:14   #5455
BANNED

@rr_zen; Precisely. There are a few units (eg FRAM) which include an active charcoal filter. However, these are unlikely to be effective in deodorising beyond a month or tewo.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2014, 11:10   #5456
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Bangalore is getting hotter and my ac cooling is getting lower. Does it mean time to check the AC gas and refill if required OR is it pointing to some component failure?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
It could just be the weather, During the evenings or in the night does the AC cool well?
Depending on how old the car is you might just need a refrigerant top-up. (AC gas)
Quote:
I will check it in the night. Off late car was not used much since I was quite busy with many things. Hope its just the AC gas! Car is now 7 years, had done a ac cleanup and refill some 3 to 4 years back.

Finally took the car to an AC Mechanic. He just checked it and said - Bangalore heat is making the perception, and add to that no sun films nor any UV cut off films might have given me the perception. He then checked all the piping for any leaks and checked components for its functionality. He said it all seems ok, cooilng is a bit low could be my perception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
Drove 400 kms in last two weeks in very hot conditions, 37 to 40 deg C with four people on board.
I felt the AC to be just about okay, it was not chill but it did its job.
So I have one more person who feels the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
My general experience with air conditioners is (and this is not specific to car a/cs) that once you refill once, you end up needing to do it every so often.
This is true. I asked the mechanic and he said the same, topping up might be required every 6 months to 1 year. He told me Rs1600 for a full gas filling.

I took a plunge and asked him to do a refill. He did it and oh boy! it chills my spine now
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2014, 11:38   #5457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Finally took the car to an AC Mechanic. He just checked it and said - Bangalore heat is making the perception, and add to that no sun films nor any UV cut off films might have given me the perception. He then checked all the piping for any leaks and checked components for its functionality. He said it all seems ok, cooilng is a bit low could be my perception.

For many of us this may be the first full blast of summer after removing the sun film. This does make a big difference, especially when you sit closer to windows. I still have my films on, so it is not showing up much of an issue yet. Did a drive last week at about 38C in Palakkad area and in TN. Felt quite ok with the a/c. Also this time the hot weather is holding up much longer than usual in Bangalore, with afternoon temps routinely above 35 for more than a month.

Regarding using pollen filter, it does not have any effect on the bad odor cauesd by a/c. I am yet to find a lasting solution for this issue. My daughter even hesitates to get in the car due to this :( I have the FRAM model which I picked up from US. However there is significantly less dust inside car, even when a/c is in fresh air (external) mode.

Last edited by vasoo : 30th April 2014 at 11:46.
Old 2nd May 2014, 09:53   #5458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
I don't know about your problem but here is feedback about mine:
Quote:
Quote:
He then checked all the piping for any leaks and checked components for its functionality. He said it all seems ok, cooilng is a bit low could be my perception.
Unfortunately the cooling coil went kaput and had to be replaced.While on my way back home from after the repair i found that the cooling had reduced again and i found myself suffocating and had to switch off the a/c and drive with windows down.

Called up the place where i got the a/c fixed they said i can come back but should try driving a day or two and let them know.I drove the car again this morning and found the a/c was chilling again.

I am assuming this is related to the notorious a/c relay switch inside the fuse box which stops working after sometime.Will be observing again in the evening and take car again back to the garage and have the relay checked out.

Thanks
Old 2nd May 2014, 19:10   #5459
BANNED

Quote:

This is true. I asked the mechanic and he said the same, topping up might be required every 6 months to 1 year. He told me Rs1600 for a full gas filling.
Honda charges about Rs.450 for evacuation and refill.
Old 2nd May 2014, 20:38   #5460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Honda charges about Rs.450 for evacuation and refill.
Its about 2600 + taxes here

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks