Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2014, 11:36   #5476
BHPian

Can some throw light on Brembo brake pads. I am sure of the performance but I have my doubts on longevity.
My stock pads have come for 79K
Old 8th May 2014, 17:08   #5477
BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Thanks to the inputs for my clutch and a/c.

I checked with Sejal Motors (who is in the recommended directory) and realised that the a/c can be repaired and the clutch would cost the same except he highly recommended that the flywheel shouldnt be needing a change.
So with this new found knowledge i went to whitefield honda and they now told that they dont need the flywheel change, so the cost came to around 15k for the cmc, and clutch assembly change.

For the a/c, sejal motors was able to repair it for around 10k (required an a/c clutch and the radiator motor change).

So, in all 25k from the 80k originally quoted, so thank you all.
Old 9th May 2014, 20:15   #5478
BHPian

Troubleshoot :

When I'm braking from speeds above 100, The steering wheel vibrates a lot. This is not happening at speeds below 80 or so. What could be the reason?
Old 9th May 2014, 22:08   #5479
gemi_kk

Quote:
Originally Posted by autofreak View Post
Can some throw light on Brembo brake pads. I am sure of the performance but I have my doubts on longevity.
My stock pads have come for 79K
If your stock pads lasted 79K, which is more than twice than many of us get, it itself means you are a good careful, and a controlled driver. So, The brembos do not make any sense for you. Unless you are inquiring for someone else.

If it is for you, pick the stock ones, they would definitely last 50+K Kms. As your disks are old too.

Old 9th May 2014, 23:05   #5480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofmyworld View Post
Troubleshoot :

When I'm braking from speeds above 100, The steering wheel vibrates a lot. This is not happening at speeds below 80 or so. What could be the reason?
Check disk/pads for wear. Skim disc , replace pads if necessary.
Old 10th May 2014, 08:58   #5481
BHPian

Quote:
Troubleshoot :

I had exactly the same problem and it was solved after replacing the front-brake-disc and pads (as @sumeethaldankar had also pointed out).
Old 11th May 2014, 21:47   #5482
BHPian

I got all 4 discs and pads replaced.Brakes have been bed-in and work fine.Tyre rotation and wheel balancing and alignment was also done.I noticed a new problem-Steering starts to vibrate at speeds of 95-100 kmph when I remove the foot of the accelerator.The vibration does not happen when I continue to accelerate above 100 Kmph.What could be the cause?
Old 12th May 2014, 01:02   #5483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Check disk/pads for wear. Skim disc , replace pads if necessary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
I had exactly the same problem and it was solved after replacing the front-brake-disc and pads (as @sumeethaldankar had also pointed out).
Thanks for the help guys. Any idea how much would the discs and pads cost?
Old 12th May 2014, 04:28   #5484
BHPian

Quote:
If I remember correctly, it would come to around 14k, expensive but necessary for safety reasons.
manim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2014, 17:24   #5485
BHPian

Quote:
Front Disc Set - Rs 6192.14
Rear Disc Set - Rs 5211.12
Front Brake Pad Set -Rs 6616.03
Rear Brake Pad Set - Rs 6266.09

Inclusive of tax.

Last edited by ramanak : 12th May 2014 at 17:36.
Old 12th May 2014, 17:43   #5486
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanak View Post
Front Disc Set - Rs 6192.14
Rear Disc Set - Rs 5211.12
Front Brake Pad Set -Rs 6616.03
Rear Brake Pad Set - Rs 6266.09

Inclusive of tax.
You can get after market pads just make sure they are original nissin make.These can be had for < 3000 per set.What is the mileage done on your car kingofmyworld.
Old 12th May 2014, 17:52   #5487
BHPian

I would really appreciate inputs from current Honda Civic owners regarding my query:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
I am looking for a used October 2009 or later Honda Civic 1.8 V or S MT in Mumbai and I wanted some feedback from current owners:

1. What would be a better buy a November 2009 model gone 35k or a 2011 model gone 50k?

Which one would be more reliable? is there any significance difference?

Also should I pay a big premium for a car (same model year) which has gone 30k versus one gone 50k?

2. If I get a complete checkup done at a authorized Honda Service Center and everything is all right can I take that as the final go ahead?

Thanks in Advance.
Haven't got any replies till now.....
Old 12th May 2014, 18:42   #5488
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
I would really appreciate inputs from current Honda Civic owners regarding my query:

Haven't got any replies till now.....

A sense of amounts involved may help for replies to get real term perspective.

As a general prospect though, my belief is civics can go on for very long on mileage as well as time if it has been well kept. Therefore, the best benchmark would be to gauge how each specific car feels in terms of how it's aged and been looked after. I had once looked at some 3-4 year old civics and they didn't feel great at all. My own car however which is first owner and will complete five years this August is currently feeling so refined, smooth and taut that I can easily imagine holding on to it as my garage's flagship for even 3 more years without blinking.

I'm just so confident that even routine maintenance or part changes will simply make it usable without it feeling "old" or that shaky legs feeling that some other cars end up feeling.

To sum up, don't let 2009 or 50,000 kms dissuade you if the car per se feels fantastic.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2014, 21:38   #5489
BHPian

Thanks for the advice.

Is it worth paying a 50k premium for the face-lifted models? I see 2009 pre-facelifted models have an asking price of around 4.5-5L while the post facelifted models are usually 5.5L and above in Mumbai.

I am mostly worried about the rear suspension issue on the older models, don't know how much an aftermarket adjustment would hold up.

Also the new models have a USB input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
A sense of amounts involved may help for replies to get real term perspective.

As a general prospect though, my belief is civics can go on for very long on mileage as well as time if it has been well kept. Therefore, the best benchmark would be to gauge how each specific car feels in terms of how it's aged and been looked after. I had once looked at some 3-4 year old civics and they didn't feel great at all. My own car however which is first owner and will complete five years this August is currently feeling so refined, smooth and taut that I can easily imagine holding on to it as my garage's flagship for even 3 more years without blinking.

I'm just so confident that even routine maintenance or part changes will simply make it usable without it feeling "old" or that shaky legs feeling that some other cars end up feeling.

To sum up, don't let 2009 or 50,000 kms dissuade you if the car per se feels fantastic.

Last edited by Foxbat : 12th May 2014 at 21:40.
Old 12th May 2014, 22:47   #5490
Senior - BHPian

@foxbat

A 30-40k premium for the face-lift models is justified but it's not a deal breaker. I've got a 2007 civic. 7 years and counting. Havn't faced issues with the low ground clearance nor the infamous engine mount. Find a well maintained car,that should be your priority.
coolkurt is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks