Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2014, 09:12   #5431
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
My average is 10.5 for petrol and 13.5 for cng in mumbai driving conditions with 50% ac uasge.

Your kmpl given the short distance and traffic conditions seem fine enough.
I figured the same. I'm trying to change my driving style to bump it up a bit
Old 25th April 2014, 09:16   #5432
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Guys, what's the average mileage you guys are getting? Mine used to be close to 12 When I used to cover 12kms one way to work, empty stretch, smooth drive. But now it's hovering at 10. Now I only have to drive 5kms to work, although in peak traffic.
9 kmpl with AC ON. My drives are usually 2 to 6 kms long in normal city traffic.
Old 25th April 2014, 09:32   #5433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I figured the same. I'm trying to change my driving style to bump it up a bit
For that you could
Bump tyre pressure to 32
Kill the a/c
Avoid traffic conditions by leaving early or using less congested routes.
Old 25th April 2014, 09:33   #5434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
I will check it in the night. Off late car was not used much since I was quite busy with many things. Hope its just the AC gas! Car is now 7 years, had done a ac cleanup and refill some 3 to 4 years back.
My general experience with air conditioners is (and this is not specific to car a/cs) that once you refill once, you end up needing to do it every so often.

Quote:
Since my car is pre-owned i was using Trip meter A to measure the car has done with me and B to record FE. Since A has reset it means i have passed the 10K mark on my Civic.
Mine's first-hand; I use A to track long distance trips (for travelogues etc.) and B for FE. Since I always do fulltank to fulltank, I have historic mileage figures going back to 2010, all tracked in a nice spreadsheet. :-) My annual fuel bill has doubled in these 4 years (more driving since I moved to Bangalore, and about 50% rise in petrol cost).

Quote:
Guys, what's the average mileage you guys are getting? Mine used to be close to 12 When I used to cover 12kms one way to work, empty stretch, smooth drive. But now it's hovering at 10. Now I only have to drive 5kms to work, although in peak traffic.
I get between 10-11 kmpl in Bangalore city drives. This goes up to 15 on intercity drives (the usual one is Bangalore-Chennai). It was between 7 and 8 when I was living in Mumbai (!)
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2014, 10:54   #5435
Senior - BHPian

I recently got my Civic's Clutch plate replacement job done at Magnum Honda.
Clutch was fine , but CMC had issue and clutch become hard and creaking sound was coming when clutch was pressed. As a precaution I got all the parts replaced as my car had run 67K kms.
Total cost was around 22K including Clutch master cylinder(CMC), release bearing , Clutch plate etc including labour.
CMC is around 5K
I don't have the exact breakup, but will upload the scanned copy later if any one is in needy

Last edited by sushrutha : 25th April 2014 at 10:59.
sushrutha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2014, 12:03   #5436
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Is it just the shorter busy route that's taking a toll on-the fuel efficiency or it could be something else? I just got the clutch set replaced but that hasn't improved the mileage.
It looks fine. For my daily drive I get no more than 9kmpl. However my office is less than 4 km from home and can take up to half hour on busy evenings. I usually get 14 to 15 on long drives. My car is AT.
Old 25th April 2014, 16:37   #5437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
I recently got my Civic's Clutch plate replacement job done at Magnum Honda.
Clutch was fine , but CMC had issue and clutch become hard and creaking sound was coming when clutch was pressed. As a precaution I got all the parts replaced as my car had run 67K kms.
Total cost was around 22K including Clutch master cylinder(CMC), release bearing , Clutch plate etc including labour.
CMC is around 5K
I don't have the exact breakup, but will upload the scanned copy later if any one is in needy
I also had the same work done at my machenic during last service except the CMC. Used OEM DK (made in Japan) Clutch plates and bearing. Costed me in total of INR 6600 (4900 plates + 900 bearing + 800 labour). Clutch feels like brand new and car's odo stands at 105k.

My love for this machine just keeps growing.
Ace F355 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2014, 20:03   #5438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
I also had the same work done at my machenic during last service except the CMC. Used OEM DK (made in Japan) Clutch plates and bearing. Costed me in total of INR 6600 (4900 plates + 900 bearing + 800 labour). Clutch feels like brand new and car's odo stands at 105k.

My love for this machine just keeps growing.
Me too falling in love my Civic all over again. BTW are you still running on stock suspension ?
Old 25th April 2014, 20:21   #5439
BHPian

I am looking at replacing the Front Lower Arm Bushings in My 2007 CIVIC (SAT) as the last one fitted 6 months has gone bad.

This time I plan to source it from US, hoping for a better life of the bushings. The 2 brands I have come across are 'Prothane' (available on Energysuspensions) and Mugen (available at Kingsports).

Request inputs on which of them will be better and why, considering life and comfort as the key factors.

Last edited by civic-dk : 25th April 2014 at 20:23.
Old 26th April 2014, 18:32   #5440
BHPian

My Honda Civic MT has done 68k in 6 yrs. My A/c had stopped working so took it to Whitefield Honda as it was also due for full service.

They diagnosed that the A/C compressor has to be replaced alongwith the clutch for the A/C and the total cost would be 28k for the compressor and with all parts and labour around 50k. This seems ridiculously high. Can anyone give me pointers?

Also, the clutch assembly needs a change (which they had told is wearing out in the previous service), so would add another 30k including the clutch assembly, flywheel and the cylinder. The cylinder is out of stock so does it make sense ti change all at once or is it ok to change the cylinder later.

Suddenly, a cost of 1 lakh (full service + the two parts) seems hard to digest. Any ideas or suggestions welcome?
Old 26th April 2014, 19:13   #5441
Senior - BHPian

@pseud Get a second opinion from a reputed garage.Look up tbhp directory for same.

Also guys wanted to know from the owners who have logged close to 1 lac kms what kind of service is needed for the a/c.

I was driving the car today and the temp guage was displaying 31 deg.I had set climate control to 25 but still found myself sweating as the ac was not cooling.I was driving under traffic conditions in max second gear.I then turned the ac knob way low till it displayed lo on the ac display guage.After this only did the ac started cooling.I hope this does not means there is any issue with the ac is it ?

Thanks
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2014, 19:25   #5442
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was driving the car today and the temp guage was displaying 31 deg.I had set climate control to 25 but still found myself sweating as the ac was not cooling.I was driving under traffic conditions in max second gear.I then turned the ac knob way low till it displayed lo on the ac display guage.After this only did the ac started cooling.I hope this does not means there is any issue with the ac is it ?

Thanks
If the thermostat goes kaput, the auto cut off would not happen and AC compressor will fail to operate. This would be because, the cooling pipes would have got frozen due to excessive cooling due to thermostat not cutting it off. If there are heavy stop - go traffic, this excessive freeze can happen, even if it doesn't translate to the interiors cooled. (Remember how frequently the AC compressor gets On and Off when idling).
We can check this by checking the AC compressor sound (whether it is indeed getting cut off) while idling at home, for around 4-5 mins.

Also, you can check the cabin air filter holder area. I remember seeing the picture from Blue_Thunder, where that part was filled with a birds nest!
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3370982

Last edited by sarathlal : 26th April 2014 at 19:28.
sarathlal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2014, 11:45   #5443
Senior - BHPian

I drove the car in the morning with the a/c set at 25 and it chilled the cabin within minutes.After sometime i parked the car and started again after a while and switched on the a/c i found mysef sweating inside the car with the temp again at 25.The i changed the temp to 22 and checked but the same.It refused to cool and though there was no warm air coming i started to sweat inside the car.

When i turn the knob for the a/c to the lower side i can hear the sound of the blowers getting louder.I am assuming this is normal but what can be the result of the a/c not working.The a/c fan was switching on and off.Also in the sight glass of the a/c in the morning before driving i could see the white stuff floating when i switched on the a/c but after the drive i found it to be colorless.

Any ideas ?

Thanks
Old 27th April 2014, 14:49   #5444
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseud View Post
My Honda Civic MT has done 68k in 6 yrs. My A/c had stopped working so took it to Whitefield Honda as it was also due for full service.

They diagnosed that the A/C compressor has to be replaced alongwith the clutch for the A/C and the total cost would be 28k for the compressor and with all parts and labour around 50k. This seems ridiculously high. Can anyone give me pointers?

Also, the clutch assembly needs a change (which they had told is wearing out in the previous service), so would add another 30k including the clutch assembly, flywheel and the cylinder. The cylinder is out of stock so does it make sense ti change all at once or is it ok to change the cylinder later.

Suddenly, a cost of 1 lakh (full service + the two parts) seems hard to digest. Any ideas or suggestions welcome?
Take your car to Magnum Honda, Yeshwanthpur. Their service advisors do not recommend changing stuff unless absolutely necessary.

When you go there, just ask them to check clutch and AC. Don't tell them about your visit to Whitefield Honda.
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2014, 17:46   #5445
BANNED

@Pseud' If you are mechanically inclined contact vigsom. He did an outside job on his leaky Totota compressor. I am sure an outside chap should be able to fix the compressor far cheaper. ASS will only replace. As for the clutch not too many options, if it is really gone.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks