Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2015, 20:41   #6931
BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post

One more thing i wanted to know, how much fuel did she take on the trip ?
Total distance traveled: 1,342 Kms with approx. 85 litres of fuel.
Efficiency ~ 16kmpl with AC switched on and set to 25 degrees throughout.
1lokesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2015, 09:54   #6932
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lokesh View Post
Is this the unique kind of noise that appears only when front right wheel gets into a pothole/bump specifically while turning, sort of like metal clanking?
If yes, can you please help me with the diagnosis and the fix thereof... I am facing the same issue and both FNG and HASS have failed to resolve except suggesting a steering rack overhaul - that too without the assurance the the noise will be taken care of.
Yes. I had the noise from the front right wheel while turning. My mechanic had narrowed it down to the axle. A car clicking noise from the front of the vehicle, while turning and accelerating, is caused by CV joint failure. There's a point after which no amount of grease will make the noise go away. If you are facing a similar issue, id suggest taking it to a trusty FNG. It has nothing to do with the steering rack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
And they expect us to live with this ticking time-bomb till then ? Honda can certainly do better.
Their attitude is appalling. The SA was least interested when i asked him for a timeframe. The entire service cost came up to 9.5k and the service rep didn't even bother to come down and meet me. I was told to pay the bill, collect the gate pass and was free to leave. I called him up and he was apparently busy with work. So much for customer service. Southend Honda, Mathura Road.

Quote:
I don't think we can shut off the a/c vent in the Civic BTW.
Of course we can. Side vents can be individually opened or closed as desired.
coolkurt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2015, 10:20   #6933
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Yes. I had the noise from the front right wheel while turning. My mechanic had narrowed it down to the axle. A car clicking noise from the front of the vehicle, while turning and accelerating, is caused by CV joint failure. There's a point after which no amount of grease will make the noise go away. If you are facing a similar issue, id suggest taking it to a trusty FNG. It has nothing to do with the steering rack.
Thanks coolkurt for pinpointing the possible issue. How was this tackled? I'm still in search for an FNG in Mumbai for my Civic. I'll get it done in front of me at the HASS if possible or some local garage that appears to be a good one, may be Deva bhai in chembur this time.

On that note, anyone here from Mumbai who can suggest a good paint job guy with expertise in bumpers? My civic is due for the facial uplift (literally) which has now become a ritual every 2 years.
Lot of scratches, touch ups, lose bumper and alignments are now troubling me.
Old 7th October 2015, 14:13   #6934
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks coolkurt for pinpointing the possible issue. How was this tackled? I'm still in search for an FNG in Mumbai for my Civic. I'll get it done in front of me at the HASS if possible or some local garage that appears to be a good one, may be Deva bhai in chembur this time.

On that note, anyone here from Mumbai who can suggest a good paint job guy with expertise in bumpers? My civic is due for the facial uplift (literally) which has now become a ritual every 2 years.
Lot of scratches, touch ups, lose bumper and alignments are now troubling me.

It all depends on the extent to which it has been worn out. If the damaged CV joint boot is caught early, simply replacing the boot and repacking the CV joint with a fresh grease is all that is usually required. Hence I managed to get away with a miniscule 2.8k bill. If the joint is completely worn out, then replacement is the only option. A good FNG will be able to point it out for you. Check the directory. HASS will simply advice an Axle replacement. That's what they know: no repair. replace. That'll set you back by a huge amount.

For eg: Honda advised a front lower arms replacement for a suspension overhaul as well as a power steering pump and rack replacement for a leak. Total estimate - 1.2 lakhs. I got the front bushes replaced for 2k with labour and the leak was just from the PS pump which was repaired for another 3k. Total bill - 5k.
coolkurt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2015, 15:13   #6935
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Of course we can. Side vents can be individually opened or closed as desired.
Oh , i didn't notice. I actually tried in my car but my drivers side vent (extreme right) would not close even when turning it down/up the air flow remained. Maybe the vent is broken. However the passenger side stopped air flow when i turned it down but i never spent much time in the passenger seat so i guess i never knew .

Quote:
I got the front bushes replaced for 2k with labour and the leak was just from the PS pump which was repaired for another 3k. Total bill - 5k.
You are lucky in Delhi the labour rates from garages are low. I was quoted min 5.5k for a PS pump repair at two different places in Mumbai.
Old 7th October 2015, 15:43   #6936
BHPian

Quote:
Oh , i didn't notice. I actually tried in my car but my drivers side vent (extreme right) would not close even when turning it down/up the air flow remained. Maybe the vent is broken. However the passenger side stopped air flow when i turned it down but i never spent much time in the passenger seat so i guess i never knew .
Hey Sumeet, the plastic thingy controlling the airflow is quite delicate and this breakage issue is a fairly common complaint. Last I checked with HASS, the entire vent has to be changed and they quoted upwards of 2.5 k for the part and labour charges (forget the amount) for removing the dash. I decided to leave the issue as it was just not worth the time and money.
Arun Venugopal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2015, 20:25   #6937
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Total distance traveled: 1,342 Kms with approx. 85 litres of fuel.
Efficiency ~ 16kmpl with AC switched on and set to 25 degrees throughout.
Wow, 16 kmpl is very good for a Civic. I remember when we used to drive to Goa in our Carb 800 we would get max 18 to 19. 16 Kmpl from a fairly large vehicle is really good and shows the Civic's prowess. What speeds were you at most of the times ?
Old 7th October 2015, 22:32   #6938
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow, 16 kmpl is very good for a Civic. I remember when we used to drive to Goa in our Carb 800 we would get max 18 to 19. 16 Kmpl from a fairly large vehicle is really good and shows the Civic's prowess. What speeds were you at most of the times ?
The Civic is capable of delivering 17-18 kmpl if you keep a steady speed of 80 kmph. I've got the same driving on the GT Karnal highway.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2015, 23:18   #6939
BHPian

Quote:

Mostly between 75 and 100kmph. Crossed 100 only on Mumbai Pune Expressway and the stretch between Kolhapur and nipani. Never crossed 110kmph. I wasn't much surprised though, in Mumbai city run, she hits 12kmpl more often than not. Additional 25-30% on highway drives seems fine.
Old 8th October 2015, 12:55   #6940
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
My preference would be Assurance from my experience currently.
Had changed one of the tyres to Goodyear assurance two months back. A bit too much wear imo but I've driven 7k kms as well so I was okay with it. Went to get the other three tyres ( Bridgestone B250) replaced with the same but they've apparently discontinued the plain assurance. Now they'll be coming out with Assurance Triplemax. I got a good deal on the Turanza, which ran much more silently in my last stint with them. So I decided on getting it.
Old 9th October 2015, 17:32   #6941
BHPian

Quote:
God i have the same kind of noise and Hass is not able to detect it either. Someone had once suggested it could be the brake dust cover hitting the inner of ball joints the wheel while turning. Someone on this thread had the noise because of a loose power steering oil reservoir. Also in my case I found noise coming from the hood support bar which has developed some play in it and shakes and seem to be making metallic sounds when the car especially at the right goes into a pothole. I tried padding the bar and to some extent I found the noise going down a bit but has not been eradicated. What I plan to do is to tie it up completely and prevent it from moving and see if the noise comes back. If it does then it’s something else altogether.
Request you to elaborate further on where this hood support bar is, so that I can also check if this is the culprit in my car, as I also get the metallic clanging sound from the front right when i hit a pothole.
Old 9th October 2015, 18:27   #6942
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
My preference would be Assurance from my experience currently.
Quote:
Had changed one of the tyres to Goodyear assurance two months back. A bit too much wear imo

When I got 4 of them(manufactured in Feb 2015) for 13.5K INR in May 15, do I really care
Old 9th October 2015, 21:52   #6943
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-dk View Post
Request you to elaborate further on where this hood support bar is, so that I can also check if this is the culprit in my car, as I also get the metallic clanging sound from the front right when i hit a pothole.
I meant the bar which we use to prop the hood ie bonnet. The stand which is used to hold the bonnet open has some play. I think it makes noise when over potholes but i have padded it well but the issue remains.
Old 10th October 2015, 05:26   #6944
Distinguished - BHPian

While you can pad the bonnet hold bar the culprit here could be worn washer at the anchor end. Without proper rubber / PU washer this could create rattle
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2015, 07:40   #6945
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
While you can pad the bonnet hold bar the culprit here could be worn washer at the anchor end. Without proper rubber / PU washer this could create rattle
Yes it is at that end i have tried to pad it but it still rattles. I might try to insert a rubber washer and see if helps but not sure if it will work. I am not sure if a separate washer is available for the hood bar, might have to try a parts store and see if they have anything.

@civic-dk & @1lokesh you can check and see if your hood bar's anchor end is loose as well. Hopefully that is the root cause of that annoying sound.

Below has some pics with respect to my attempted padding.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3801130

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 10th October 2015 at 07:48.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks