Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2015, 08:40   #6811
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek VS View Post
I own a 2007 Civic. I've recently noted that my dashboard heats up after about an hour of driving.....
What is recent service history? Did any exhaust related parts get changed recently? Catalytic convertor? What is odo reading?

If this is something new do not take it lightly. Get to the bottom of the problem as you are saying areas becoming hot enough to be uncomfortable.
Old 1st September 2015, 03:21   #6812
BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
You will need to check the engine mounts, power steering leakage, steering rack leakage, ac cooling coil failure, wheel bearings, suspension bushes, brake pad wear,brake disc rotors wear etc. Seems you have a budget for a new punto that woulkd mean atleast 7 lacs. For this you wil get a post 2009 model easily around 6 lacs. A 60k run car would probably need new tyres as well. Most important take car to a Honda service station and get the service history verified. Remember the Civic's odo can be tampered with.
Thank you for the details. Was there any major changes in the 2009 FL? I read somewhere stating that the suspension was tweaked.
Old 1st September 2015, 08:27   #6813
BANNED

@Astonite; The suspension was tweaked, but we still use spacers to handle rough roads. Also, the post-June2010 cars (when the Civic went BS-IV) had reversing sensors are standard. I think there were some other minor changes.
Old 2nd September 2015, 15:39   #6814

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
What is recent service history? Did any exhaust related parts get changed recently? Catalytic convertor? What is odo reading?

If this is something new do not take it lightly. Get to the bottom of the problem as you are saying areas becoming hot enough to be uncomfortable.

Sir the car has done close to 35K kms. No exhaust parts have ever been changed IIRC.

The problem is fairly new. I only noticed it last month I think.

I'm taking the car to the Service Centre next week. This time I'll drive around for an hour or two before taking it to them, just to show them the problem.

I'll update once I get it checked by the Honda guys.
Old 3rd September 2015, 14:59   #6815

I have a 2008 VAT Civic and my engine tends to run really hot. Like after even a short journey , ie, 5-10 km when I open my bonnet, it's all really hot in there.
There temperature gauge, however, reads normal (about half or slightly less than half) and the car runs perfectly fine. I have done trips to Pune non stop recently and have not faced any issue.
I wonder why the engine runs so hot then?
Please help.
Old 3rd September 2015, 15:15   #6816

I have been facing a strange problem for a while now.
My 2008 Civic VAT s engine tends to run really hot even after covering short distances ( 5-10km) the temperature gauge reads normal ( half or less ) and there is absolutely no problem in the running of the car.
Whenever I open the bonnet it's really hot in there and I can barely touch anything. I have driven non stop to Pune a few times and haven't faced any issue at all. But the engine shouldn't be running so hot. The car is maintained regularly with HASS and the cooland/ water is all regularly topped up. What could be the problem? Please help.
Old 3rd September 2015, 15:23   #6817

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astonite View Post
Thank you for the details. Was there any major changes in the 2009 FL? I read somewhere stating that the suspension was tweaked.

Make sure you contact the Honda service centre guys and get the service history checked before buying the car. Everything said and done, if you don't mind spending on the amount of petrol this car sips, it's an absolute beauty.
Old 3rd September 2015, 15:42   #6818
Distinguished - BHPian

Hot is relative. At 55°c it is hot enough to barely be held by hand. Normal engines run at 90°c and that is why when you open bonnet it feels hot. Temperature gauges typically do not register any reading before 70~80° and normal half way mark is around 90~95°
Old 4th September 2015, 10:00   #6819
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parthkhatau View Post
My 2008 Civic VAT s engine tends to run really hot even after covering short distances ( 5-10km) the temperature gauge reads normal ( half or less ) and there is absolutely no problem in the running of the car.
Whenever I open the bonnet it's really hot in there and I can barely touch anything. I have driven non stop to Pune a few times and haven't faced any issue at all. But the engine shouldn't be running so hot. The car is maintained regularly with HASS and the cooland/ water is all regularly topped up. What could be the problem? Please help.
I think thats a Honda thing specific to Civics. Mine gets hot too after a short drive and I cant even touch the bonnet for a while, although I need to change the bonnet insulator thing as mine is torn apart. I bought this car used and for the first few days I found myself stopping the car frequently while on a journey and checking if fans are working and all. I havent seen anything that gets hot like this on other cars like Maruthi, Hyundai etc. I also asked HASS if the temperature gauge is faulty or something as it never crosses halfway mark in mine while inside the hood it feels like a toaster oven!
Old 4th September 2015, 12:26   #6820
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have experienced the same phenomenon in my Civic. The bonnet is relatively hotter when driven in the city (10-15km at a stretch) compared to a long drive on a highway cruising at sedate speeds. Guess this is normal.
Old 5th September 2015, 07:12   #6821
BANNED

Quote:
I have been facing a strange problem for a while now.......
Whenever I open the bonnet it's really hot in there and I can barely touch anything. .....
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Hot is relative. At 55°c it is hot enough to barely be held by hand. Normal engines run at 90°c and that is why when you open bonnet it feels hot. Temperature gauges typically do not register any reading before 70~80° and normal half way mark is around 90~95°
Remember the Civic has a compact bonnet (really filled), so that make it feel hotter. Also, an Aluminium engine may add to the perception.
Old 6th September 2015, 10:28   #6822
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
No product name. Its a chinese device which landed in my hands from a ebay site some 8 years ago. Chipset is ELM327
Buddy, I bought this product from US, just wanted to know, can it be connected to mobile phone or is it only to be connected to PCs?
Old 6th September 2015, 16:30   #6823
BHPian

Could some body help me in understanding where is the OBD port spot is in Honda Civic 2007 AT ? Some pictorial description will be really helpful.
Recently bought a OBD device and would like to experiment with it.
Thanks.
Old 6th September 2015, 20:08   #6824
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StallionAmit View Post
Could some body help me in understanding where is the OBD port spot is in Honda Civic 2007 AT ? Some pictorial description will be really helpful.
Recently bought a OBD device and would like to experiment with it.
Thanks.
I think it should be under the driver side section under the dashboard part below the steering wheel.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2015, 20:33   #6825
BHPian

It's under the steering left hand side corner under the dashboard

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks