Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2015, 10:07   #6736
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Dear Laluks,

Can you please give me more details? I need a rear bumper. I will try contacting this shop. Honda @SS Asked me for an insane amount for the rear bumper.
Contact General or Shello shops in JC road. Both of them told me personally they have it when I enquired with them a few months back.
laluks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2015, 23:32   #6737
BHPian

Dear BHPians, I would like you to enlighten me on the "Underbody protection for Engine and other sensitive components/machinery in Honda Civic".
Is there sufficient underbody metal sheet protecting engine area to protect the engine etc. from bumps, stones etc.?
If there is not can we do something about it?
I have a Honda Civic 2007 AT. Bought recently at 70K Kms.
Thanks in Advance.
Old 18th July 2015, 09:44   #6738
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by StallionAmit View Post
Dear BHPians, I would like you to enlighten me on the "Underbody protection for Engine and other sensitive components/machinery in Honda Civic".
Is there sufficient underbody metal sheet protecting engine area to protect the engine etc. from bumps, stones etc.?
I will not rreally bother. I did have an annoying tendency to bottom but a set of rubber riders in the rear all but cured it. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ension-32.html I hear Rogers systems are also excellent.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2015, 10:58   #6739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I will not rreally bother. I did have an annoying tendency to bottom but a set of rubber riders in the rear all but cured it. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ension-32.html I hear Rogers systems are also excellent.
Sir, thanks for the input, I will describe the situation. While going to Ooty from Bangalore on a very bad stretch of Road from Mysore to Bandipur, i suddenly encountered a speed breaker and i applied breaks but the car hit something with a loud "THUD", i was sure something is broken but from my personal investigation i did not encountered anything but i will get it checked thoroughly from a good garage (I am shifting to Kolkata and will take it to "Suman Da's Alok Automobiles (mentioned in Team Bhp) next month). And Kolkata roads as i understand are not good and neither the roads to other leisure destinations from Kolkata and hence I would like to protect my engine and other soft components from damage from underbody scrapes, stones etc. I recently bought this car (used), but I cherish it and would like to keep it for a long time.
Thanks
Old 18th July 2015, 11:12   #6740
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by StallionAmit View Post
I have a Honda Civic 2007 AT. Bought recently at 70K Kms.
there was a minor suspension revamp in 2009 so you may have a slightly bigger problem as well. Installing the buffers was barely a half hour affair.
Old 18th July 2015, 22:31   #6741
BHPian

I hear some rattling sounds in the car at low rpms, i feel the vibration has been intensified over the past few months. Is it the engine mounts? Also how do i find the source of the rattling noise? Its very annoying. Any input would be very helpful
Old 19th July 2015, 06:00   #6742
BHPian

I was thinking of getting a Civic AT but after going through this thread I am really worried about my decision. I thought like any other Honda it will be fill it shut it and forget it car but to my surprise there are far too many issue like PS leak, engine mount suspension needing overhaul without very high odo reading. Weren't Honda's known for their reliability. And things which are mentioned about HASS after reading it i am surprised why we all bash Skoda so badly. I am confused now if i should go for a Civic or not. Also I wanted to know is it possible to have cruise control retro fitted on Pre facelift models ?

nIk
Old 19th July 2015, 09:54   #6743
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
I thought like any other Honda it will be fill it shut it and forget it car but to my surprise there are far too many issue like PS leak, engine mount suspension needing overhaul without very high odo reading.
These issues are not specific to the AT. Also, by and large as per the experience on this thread niggles in Hondas, esp the Civic are far fewer than most.
Old 19th July 2015, 19:06   #6744
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was thinking of getting a Civic AT but after going through this thread I am really worried about my decision. I thought like any other Honda it will be fill it shut it and forget it car but to my surprise there are far too many issue like PS leak, engine mount suspension needing overhaul without very high odo reading. Weren't Honda's known for their reliability. And things which are mentioned about HASS after reading it i am surprised why we all bash Skoda so badly. I am confused now if i should go for a Civic or not. Also I wanted to know is it possible to have cruise control retro fitted on Pre facelift models ?

nIk
If you will be getting a used Civic it's highly recommended you get the car inspected from a reputed Honda service center. Not only would they have previous service records of the car so you will come to know in case of Odo tampering also they will be able to tell you in case of issues like power steering leakage or rack leakage.

People have reported issues with Power steering and rack leakage but these problems are solved by simply changing the seals though at Hass these jobs can be expensive. My car's power steering was overhauled twice. For the A/T version check if the 'D' light is blinking while driving, if so then stay away from the car.

Also look at other cars like the Honda City etc and for a Civic i would highly recommend a post face lift 2009 + model.

Good Luck.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 19th July 2015 at 19:07.
Old 20th July 2015, 12:25   #6745
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
there was a minor suspension revamp in 2009 so you may have a slightly bigger problem as well. Installing the buffers was barely a half hour affair.
I took off the 17" (235/45/R17) that came with my pre owned car and put in 16" alloys form the SX4 with 205/55/R16 but had to take them off too due to a diff in hub dia. Finally I'm back to 15"alloys with stock size. I put in buffers on all four tyres - the ride is noticeably less bouncier and 'stiff' if I may use the term. No more underbody scraping and the 'thuds' over potholes / speed breakers.
The service adviser at the HASS though tells me that the car is taller on the front and hence I should take off the front buffers. I've had both front dampers changed last week, could that make a difference ?
Old 20th July 2015, 19:16   #6746
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
The service adviser at the HASS though tells me that the car is taller on the front and hence I should take off the front buffers. I've had both front dampers changed last week, could that make a difference ?
I know Honda does not like these. I see no reason that the height should change, unless the springs have settled a lot. I will not bother.
Old 20th July 2015, 20:30   #6747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lokesh View Post
Just confirmed with one of the HASS here in Mumbai. They charge Rs 700/- for each lower arm bushing. I'm told there are 2 in each side and hence 2x2x700 = Rs 2,800. In that way this place is at par with HASS.
Hi Lokesh, I am suspecting that the lower arm bushings in my Civic as well are gone. Wanted to know on which HASS in Mumbai gave a quote of Rs. 2800 total for the front bushings. Also, would it be possible to find out on the part code for the lower arm bushings.

In Hyderabad, the HASS refused to replace the bushings and were asking for Rs. 13,000 to replace the both the front Lower Arms.
Old 21st July 2015, 11:03   #6748
BHPian

If you get one in good condition, don't think twice just go for it. I bought a used one (2007), the only repairs per se have been the replacements on the engine and transmission mounts. Other than that over a period of 2 years i've had it, no issues at all. Car still drives and looks like new. No rattles no shakes. The comfort and the drive-ability puts many new cars to shame. It's an AT, munches highway miles like anything. And since it's petrol it's rarely as abused as a diesel car if you get a used one. Try to get a face-life one that might be better from the mounts perspective plus you get cruise control (which I think is essential for highway driving but for some reason even some 25 lakh plus cars don't have it. Really don't know why manufacturers skimp on it. It's a safety feature in my opinion)

Quote:

nIk
Old 21st July 2015, 13:09   #6749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-dk View Post
Hi Lokesh, I am suspecting that the lower arm bushings in my Civic as well are gone. Wanted to know on which HASS in Mumbai gave a quote of Rs. 2800 total for the front bushings. Also, would it be possible to find out on the part code for the lower arm bushings.

In Hyderabad, the HASS refused to replace the bushings and were asking for Rs. 13,000 to replace the both the front Lower Arms.
Hi,

This is Linkway Honda, Andheri East, Mumbai.

No sure about the part code, but will try to find out.

My suggestion is to get hold of a trustworthy FNG and get this fixed out of HASS.

Cheers!
1lokesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 20:52   #6750

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lokesh View Post

Just confirmed with one of the HASS here in Mumbai. They charge Rs 700/- for each lower arm bushing. I'm told there are 2 in each side and hence 2x2x700 = Rs 2,800. In that way this place is at par with HASS.
Hi 1lokesh, I checked with HASS Central Honda @Bhubaneswar when I changed my lower arm bushes and they mentioned to me that the rear lca (lower control arm) bushes are not replaceable and only the lower bushes, i.e. the compliance bushes are the ones replaceable, so in all for both the lca's, they changed only 2 bushes. I will need to re-check with them on this again and confirm for changing the other 2 bushes as well. I was pretty sure Civic has 2 bushes per lca, but the civic spares list does not list it separately and so the Hass guys were able to convince me otherwise.

In the Honda parts catalouge its listed as follows:

17 51391-SNA-305 BUSH, FR. COMPLIANCE 2 (2 no's 1 for each lca)

Also can someone else please confirm on this as well, i.e. the compliance bush part number and is there any other part number for the 2nd bush, note: I did not see any on the parts list I was referring to, nor I saw any reference arrow to the back side bush other than for this part:

23 90118-SNA-000 BOLT, FLANGE, 12X84 2 (2 number flange bolt, 1 for each lca to secure at the back.) - This is where the second bush goes in but not sure about the part number for it. Please help.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks