Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2015, 22:24   #6781
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkum View Post
I need some urgent help. My 12v power output is not working. All the other accessories like clock and music system are working properly. Wanted to know if there is a separate fuse just for the power outlet. If so then the location of the same.Need to travel long distance over the weekend hence need that to be working.
Also does anyone knows the exact size and specifications of the front for speaker, one of my front speaker needs to be changed. Do I need to buy in pair or can a single speaker be arranged ?
Hello,
Check these posts.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3721640

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3686240

Also alternate source of power if you are using a USB device is a power bank. Charge it before leaving your journey, keep it in the car and use it to charge your device. I bought one recently and even my dash cam works when i connected it to the power bank.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 12th August 2015 at 22:26.
Old 14th August 2015, 07:47   #6782
BHPian

Mine is a 2009 Dec model Civic which has clocked 25000 Kms. Need an opinion whether it is needed to change the Timing belt proactively as the car has aged around 6 years and the rubber parts could have got hardened and brittle. HASS is suggesting not to change them as there are no sounds coming from the pulleys. The service engineer even suggested lubricating the belt which I was not really convinced with.
What is the life span of the timing belt in terms of years and not Kms.
Old 14th August 2015, 09:23   #6783
BHPian

So my journey with a Civic is coming to an end. Recently went for a Grand Vitara, another great car and now have to make space for its parking. Time for Civic to move to a good house. Its 2007 V-AT, done 62k, just went through 60k major service at the dealer last year and got a bunch of stuff replaced including engine mount, transmission mount, brake pads. Like new inside and out, leather interior. Quiet as a whisper. I would love to pass it onto a bhp-ian who will take as good care of it as I have, and maybe sometimes even let me visit it sometime. :-(. Will be listing in classifieds section soon. Till then, ping me if you are interested.
Old 14th August 2015, 10:25   #6784
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa_asif View Post
Mine is a 2009 Dec model Civic which has clocked 25000 Kms. Need an opinion whether it is needed to change the Timing belt proactively as the car has aged around 6 years and the rubber parts could have got hardened and brittle. HASS is suggesting not to change them as there are no sounds coming from the pulleys. The service engineer even suggested lubricating the belt which I was not really convinced with.
What is the life span of the timing belt in terms of years and not Kms.
Civic uses a timing chain which usually lasts a lifetime. Hence, no need to change it. The timing chain is not made of rubber so do not worry about it's life in terms of years.

Regards,
Saket
Old 14th August 2015, 12:33   #6785
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Civic uses a timing chain

This was my first question to the H.A.S.S service engineer and he confirmed that Civic has a Timing Belt instead of a Chain. Hence all this doubt regarding the longevity.
Old 14th August 2015, 13:04   #6786
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa_asif View Post
This was my first question to the H.A.S.S service engineer and he confirmed that Civic has a Timing Belt instead of a Chain. Hence all this doubt regarding the longevity.
I think your SA is misinformed! Here is a pic of the R18 engine of Civic; dug from TBHP itself. Should put your doubt to rest.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-main.jpg
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2015, 16:15   #6787
Senior - BHPian

Maybe he was talking about the serpentine belt. That one powers the AC,alternator, PS.
Old 14th August 2015, 16:19   #6788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Maybe he was talking about the serpentine belt. That one powers the AC,alternator, PS.
But breaking of the sepentine belt will not be fatal like a timing belt right?. Thanks alot for the cross diagram. This fixes my doubt.
Old 17th August 2015, 03:06   #6789

Ok so i have been facing this issue for quite sometime now. Often when i visit the petrol pump, the guy there asks me to open the bonnet and checks water and oil. I have noticed that at an interval of around 1000-1500km i am told by the guys at the pump that engine oil is low and i need to top up. However, it shouldn't happen this frequently. The car goes for regular servicing to HASS every 3months and ideally i shouldn't be required to top up engine oil or any other fluid.
I am worried if this is an oil leak or am i being cheated by the guys at the petrol pump? Don't know whom to trust.
Old 17th August 2015, 07:27   #6790
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parthkhatau View Post
Ok so i have been facing this issue for quite sometime now. Often when i visit the petrol pump, the guy there asks me to open the bonnet and checks water and oil. I have noticed that at an interval of around 1000-1500km i am told by the guys at the pump that engine oil is low and i need to top up. However, it shouldn't happen this frequently. The car goes for regular servicing to HASS every 3months and ideally i shouldn't be required to top up engine oil or any other fluid.

I am worried if this is an oil leak or am i being cheated by the guys at the petrol pump? Don't know whom to trust.

How many kms has your car done. Its on the high side, but no immediate worries. The easiest way to verify is to check the oil yourself a couple of times to see what happens.
Jeroen
Old 17th August 2015, 09:39   #6791
BHPian

Quote:
Often when i visit the petrol pump, the guy there asks me to open the bonnet and checks water and oil. I have noticed that at an interval of around 1000-1500km i am told by the guys at the pump that engine oil is low and i need to top up.
Oil levels can only be truly read prior to a cold start. In the civic, once an engine has run (even just at idle) most if the oil will be near the head and not at the bottom where the dipstick reads it. So a check at a petrol pump will give you a reading near or below the minimum level. Park the car for 30-45 min and do the reading again and you will find it to be fine. :-)
Old 17th August 2015, 12:05   #6792
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeTorque View Post
They said the leak can be repaired by replacing seal kits available separately on market and would cost about 12k for the same. So I went for it.
Thank you for the detailed feedback. This is immensely helpful.

I got the car inspected by TuneUp Plus Baner (which was highly recommended on this forum). The feedback was that they could attempt to do this but the better option was a replacement. Purely from a long term peace of mind. And I intend to keep the car for a few more years.

I'm still thinking through what to do. Will update the thread with details once I take a call.
Old 17th August 2015, 15:22   #6793
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun Venugopal View Post
Oil levels can only be truly read prior to a cold start. In the civic, once an engine has run (even just at idle) most if the oil will be near the head and not at the bottom where the dipstick reads it. So a check at a petrol pump will give you a reading near or below the minimum level. Park the car for 30-45 min and do the reading again and you will find it to be fine. :-)
Short sticking is quite common in the west. Here the chap does not insert the dipstick all the way, and then shows you that you are short. Maybe it is catching on here as well!
Old 17th August 2015, 19:00   #6794
BHPian

Quote:
i am told by the guys at the pump that engine oil is low and i need to top up.

The car goes for regular servicing to HASS every 3 months and ideally i shouldn't be required to top up engine oil or any other fluid.

Personally, I would not trust some untrained petrol pump guy, I would check it myself if necessary (instructions given in the user-manual).

Anyway since you say you do regular servicing at HASS every 3 months, there is no need for you to open the Civic bonnet at all! (unless there is a leak).
Old 19th August 2015, 15:26   #6795
BHPian

Issue with front suspension of 2011 Civic VMT.

My civic is in Dakshin Honda workshop today and I got a call from the service advisor that front two lower arm, ball joints, rings are all gone and need to be replaced. And this should cost me 40-50K INR and this cant be covered under warranty. Need help in finding out any other local reliable workshop in Bangalore where I can get my car checked and repaired. Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed