Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2015, 15:55   #6766
BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeTorque View Post
Are you sure bluetooth obd2 works with first gen Civics here or you just bought it? Let us know how good is this and what all it shows for Civic. I gotta get one too, mine's a 2007 VAT also from Kochi.

p.s. Do you service the car at Peninsular Honda?
Hey there, good to meet a fellow member in my same town. Where in Kochi (PM me).
Well, not sure if the OBD device would work, since it's low cost, there isn't a risk I guess. Some other guys have used it and it looks fine if not entirely perfect. Let it come and I'll have a look and then let you know. I don't think there is a difference between the OBD hardware of the first gen and the face-lifted civic is there?
I don't give my car at Peninuslar, they do a horrible work. I give it to my neighbour hood garage here and they do a better job. However a recent incident is making me think to find an another native just in case. Not sure how good the Vivan guys are. But they always charge a bomb anyway.

Last edited by rosh_aveo1.4 : 2nd August 2015 at 15:56.
Old 2nd August 2015, 17:44   #6767
Senior - BHPian

I am using an ELM 327 based device on my 2007 Civic. But its no bluetooth plain jane USB connected! It works like a charm
Old 2nd August 2015, 18:20   #6768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh_aveo1.4 View Post
So my Civic mileage wad getting really low (6 to 7 in city) It's an automatic and I rarely take it for highway and most of the city drive is handled by the diesel Sunny. So the monthly usage doesn't cross 200 km at best. Wonder if that's the reason for low mileage.
The Civic has a 'jekyll and hyde' character, My AT has given me up till 18+ kmph on 4-lane-highways (using certain 'hypermiling' techniques), and it has given me a low of 7.3 kmpl at its worst (inside city).
manim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2015, 18:33   #6769
BANNED

@manim; The gearing is pretty high on the 5th Gear ~50kph/1000rpm. As per the US EPA the AT is ~1mpg better than the manual on the highway. I have also seen ~17-18kpl with no special tricks.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2015, 12:21   #6770
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
The Civic has a 'jekyll and hyde' character, My AT has given me up till 18+ kmph on 4-lane-highways (using certain 'hypermiling' techniques), and it has given me a low of 7.3 kmpl at its worst (inside city).
On the same breath, let me add the figures I have got from my MT. Best of 20+ kmpl on highways and worst of 8 kmpl inside city in crawling traffic.
rr_zen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2015, 13:04   #6771
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
The Civic has a 'jekyll and hyde' character, ...
That's a wonderful way to describe the capabilities of the R18A iVTEC inside the Civic.

Usually, I get approx 2kmpl better with Shell petrol.

City mileage ~ 8.5 kmpl. (AT)

I have driven on the highways (Chennai-Bangalore) with the following figures :

Sedate driving (BP petrol) - 16 kmpl
'Normal' driving (BP petrol) - 12 kmpl

Just once, I let myself and the car loose...and ended up with 9kmpl with Shell (where it should have been ~ 14kmpl) !
Blue Thunder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2015, 20:33   #6772
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
I am using an ELM 327 based device on my 2007 Civic. But its no bluetooth plain jane USB connected! It works like a charm
I used to have the Ultra-Guage hooked up to my civic. Last week it was at the HASS and the service advisor said he's unhooked it and left it in the glovebox as "one sensor is heating up" I did not bother to discuss it further with him. But could this be possible ?
Old 4th August 2015, 00:09   #6773
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Hi Could you pls give the full name of the product.?
I also have a 2007 AT Civic.
Thanks
Old 4th August 2015, 20:43   #6774
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StallionAmit View Post
Hi Could you pls give the full name of the product.?
I also have a 2007 AT Civic.
Thanks
No product name. Its a chinese device which landed in my hands from a ebay site some 8 years ago. Chipset is ELM327
Old 5th August 2015, 14:45   #6775
BHPian

I was talking to a Corolla AT owner yesterday and he mentioned that he gets a mileage of 10-11 km/litre of petrol depending on the traffic (with 100% AC on). Now, i have never got that kind of mileage in my Civic AT. The range for me varies between 8 to 8.5 km/litre of petrol depending on the traffic (with 100% AC on).

Would like to know if other Civic AT owners also get similar mileage. If so, why does Civic have a lower mileage as compared to Corolla. If not, then is there something which can be done to improve the mileage.

Again, it's not very critical for me with my driving limited to only 500 km a month, but it will be good to know if the mileage can be improved.
Old 6th August 2015, 08:34   #6776
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lokesh View Post
Dear BHPians from Mumbai,

Can you please suggest a good FNG in Mumbai for Civic? Someone who is hands on and knows the car in and out. Not a big thing to ask in a city like mumbai, right? Will be great if its in and around Chembur, Ghatkopar, Saki Naka, Kurla etc.
I'm trying to stay away from HASS and am struggling with some issues to be sorted out.

Will appreciate any kind of help.

Cheers!
Hello,

I haven't tried this and don't know about this place personally but the reviews sound good. Maybe you could try this guy.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/mumbai...ur-mumbai.html

Good Luck.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 11:58   #6777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeTorque View Post
Only thing that matters in my case is that I have to repair power steering leak problem too and HASS only offers entire assembly replacement for 80k+labour while other garage offers repair solution for around 10k. Labour charges are a bit less than HASS too. So I did whats best for my pocket

p.s. I will update the exact prices and other charges incurred after I get the car back, so that you guys can compare if its pocket-friendly..
I'm facing the same issue in my Civic right now. When I looked at the underside of the car on a ramp, I could see leaks both on the pump and on the rack assembly.

Honda Service being Honda Service recommended replacement and (hold your breath) Rs. 100,000 to fix the issue. All of us had a good laugh over it . Now the problem looks repairable to me by replacing the seals. Honda Service won't do this so I'll have to take it to an independent garage. Could you help out by explaining exactly what needed replacement for your issue ?
Old 10th August 2015, 23:46   #6778
BHPian

Hi ranjitnair77 , I also had leaks from both pump and rack assembly. Honda's estimate was 85k for pump and rack assembly excluding labour charges and any taxes and that would go beyond 1lac.

Since I was short on budget and had to do other things like Suspension overhaul too, I went to a well-equipped competent garage here(Mustang Motors) who specializes in imported and premium cars. I used to service my old Opel Astra there so I'm comfortable with their service quality and charges. They said the leak can be repaired by replacing seal kits available separately on market and would cost about 12k for the same. So I went for it.

Here's the exact charges incurred:

Power Steering Pump Seal Kit - 3400
Power Steering Rack Seal Kit - 5800

Add 14.5% Tax to that for our State and there's 4000rs labour charges for entire power steering overhaul.

And here's other stuffs I have done there. I have included the price quoted by Honda in bracket..

Tie Rod Ends - 2650
Front Strut - 6900
Gearbox Upper Mounting - 4200 (7790)
Front Strut Mounting x2 - 4400
Mounting Roll Stopper Front - 3900
Mounting Roll Stopper Rear - 4300
Rear Wheel Hub Assy - 3900 (9580)
Front Stabilizer Link LH & RH - 1250 each
Rear Stabilizer Link LH & RH - 1100 each
Front Stabilizer Bushes - 680 (480)
Rear Stabilizer Bushes - 680 (480)
Gasket Valve Cover - 1600
Rear LH & RH Tail Lamp Assy - 2450 each (7250)

and misc small items like clips,screws,holders etc.

While the power steering leak problem were sorted out at a fraction of cost, the steering has now become tight. It feels like driving a non-power steering car. While they said I have to replace the PS box itself to sort out this problem and told it would cost about 25k for the assembly (which is way less than Honda's quote anyway!), I decided to keep it like that for now. They also said there might be a chance that the tightness problem would go away on its own after a few thousand kms. So I am waiting fingers crossed...

Also if anyone knows where I can get the hood release switch/cable, that would be great. Mine was broken and the garage cannot find the right spare so its just a DIY-pull cable now to open hood
XtremeTorque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 09:45   #6779
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-dk View Post
I was talking to a Corolla AT owner yesterday and he mentioned that he gets a mileage of 10-11 km/litre of petrol depending on the traffic (with 100% AC on).

Would like to know if other Civic AT owners also get similar mileage. If so, why does Civic have a lower mileage as compared to Corolla. If not, then is there something which can be done to improve the mileage.
Civic is one car which responds to the accelerator. It will be more than happy to downshift multiple letels, the moment you increase the pressure on that pedal.

8-9 is the normal mileage that will be attainable, but on light foot ~11 is possible, even on daily runs. In highways, it can give ~17.

One thing that you can try is to 're-teach' your Civic's ECU with ideal driving pattern. Over the years, it might have got used to certain gear shifting patterns, which can be reset.

To do this, first reset the ECU, and practice ideal driving patterns for AT's. This would mean no sudden accelerations, braking etc.
Make it run in cruising rpm's for most of the time. To do this, make sure the rpm levels are withing some 2.5-3.5K for each gear. (Easier to do this if you have the paddle shifters, else you might have to play around with the accelerator)

Be patient, it takes a little time for the new shifting pattern to be set in.
sarathlal is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 22:14   #6780
BHPian

I need some urgent help. My 12v power output is not working. All the other accessories like clock and music system are working properly. Wanted to know if there is a separate fuse just for the power outlet. If so then the location of the same.Need to travel long distance over the weekend hence need that to be working.
Also does anyone knows the exact size and specifications of the front for speaker, one of my front speaker needs to be changed. Do I need to buy in pair or can a single speaker be arranged ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks