Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2015, 10:25   #6916
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@vasoo; again talking of non-vital changes. How does the chrome or octagonal rear lamp change the performance / road behaviour! The audio may cheer up the driver but not the car!!
Not sure where is this going. I never mentioned anything about affecting performance or road behavior. My response earlier was about a question on the "differences in audio system". You are now dragging me into a comprehensive comparison which I am not interested in
vasoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2015, 18:31   #6917
BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Does the Civic's headlamps and interior lights flicker when we turn blower fan to full blast? I noticed it yesterday night when the blower is set to full speed, but A/C turned OFF while engine is running. Its not dimming or blinking, but just a minor flickering which can be easily spotted when dark. The interior reading lamps, dash illuminations, headlamps etc. does this. Interestingly, this is not there if A/C is turned ON. Is it a Honda specific thing or my alternator giving up? Anyone experienced the same in your Civic?
Old 5th October 2015, 19:20   #6918
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeTorque View Post
Does the Civic's headlamps and interior lights flicker when we turn blower fan to full blast? I noticed it yesterday night when the blower is set to full speed, but A/C turned OFF while engine is running. Its not dimming or blinking, but just a minor flickering which can be easily spotted when dark. The interior reading lamps, dash illuminations, headlamps etc. does this. Interestingly, this is not there if A/C is turned ON. Is it a Honda specific thing or my alternator giving up? Anyone experienced the same in your Civic?
Haven't faced such an issue. Although there was a time when the emergency parking lights button would flicker but it went away on its own. If there aren't other issues, and the flickering seems minor, I'd say leave it.

@All

Finally got the right axle fixed. The noise is gone now. Set me back by 2800 bucks. Quite a steal imho. Tomm she goes for her 120k service as well as that airbag inflator replacement.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2015, 19:22   #6919
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Tomm she goes for her 120k service as well as that airbag inflator replacement.
So are you saying you got a call from HASS on the airbag replacement ? I haven't received a call as yet.
Old 5th October 2015, 20:18   #6920
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do get your battery checked just in case. I have read in forums flickering dashboard lights is a sign of a weak battery on it's way out.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2015, 09:00   #6921
Senior - BHPian

Guys when did you change your tires ? Ie after how many kms. My Bridgestone turanza have done 32k kms and have started showing signs of aging. They were bought in 2011 and have dry rot type minor surface cracks. Also the front ones are giving out a typical whoop whoop sound on certain surfaces. So how long did your tires last ? I am thinking of changing these once they cross 40 k kms.
Old 6th October 2015, 09:33   #6922
Senior - BHPian

First set at 60K, Stock Goodyear Eagle NCT5. Ran everywhere, roads, broken roads, water, mud everything.

Second Set at 1lakh - 40K, Goodyear Excellence series. Stunning high speed stability and wet grip for my driving. Also went everywhere.

Third set at 1.26lakh, 26K - Yokohama AVS db. Very good high speed performance, bad on all the general terrains I take the car. Wore of pretty fast thanks to two 10K high speed runs.

Now on 4th set, back to Good year. Now GoodYear Assurance. Built like a tank. Performs good and goes all where I want it to go.

Tyre reviews be damned. I don't race like schumaker anyways or cant make out if I am floating like a feather on these tyres .
laluks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2015, 11:32   #6923
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post

Second Set at 1lakh - 40K, Goodyear Excellence series. Stunning high speed stability and wet grip for my driving. Also went everywhere.

Now on 4th set, back to Good year. Now GoodYear Assurance. Built like a tank. Performs good and goes all where I want it to go.
Thats very informative. Based on your experience, which tyres you think will last longer on our bad roads - Assurance or Excellence series? I have Goodyear Assurance on front (80%) and rear has Yokohama and Michelin which is due replacement. Should I go with 2 new Goodyear Assurance or are there any better tyres for our road conditions?
Old 6th October 2015, 12:06   #6924
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thats very informative. Based on your experience, which tyres you think will last longer on our bad roads - Assurance or Excellence series? I have Goodyear Assurance on front (80%) and rear has Yokohama and Michelin which is due replacement. Should I go with 2 new Goodyear Assurance or are there any better tyres for our road conditions?
My preference would be Assurance from my experience currently.
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2015, 14:21   #6925
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
So are you saying you got a call from HASS on the airbag replacement ? I haven't received a call as yet.
I thought I'd circumvent the same. Called up HASS and asked if the replacement kits are available, they replied in the affirmative. Took it for service, but now they claim that a letter will be despatched or we will get a phone call.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2015, 15:20   #6926
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I thought I'd circumvent the same. Called up HASS and asked if the replacement kits are available, they replied in the affirmative. Took it for service, but now they claim that a letter will be despatched or we will get a phone call.
And they expect us to live with this ticking time-bomb till then ? Honda can certainly do better.
rr_zen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2015, 16:33   #6927
BHPian

Quote:

Finally got the right axle fixed. The noise is gone now. Set me back by 2800 bucks. Quite a steal imho. Tomm she goes for her 120k service as well as that airbag inflator replacement.
Is this the unique kind of noise that appears only when front right wheel gets into a pothole/bump specifically while turning, sort of like metal clanking?
If yes, can you please help me with the diagnosis and the fix thereof... I am facing the same issue and both FNG and HASS have failed to resolve except suggesting a steering rack overhaul - that too without the assurance the the noise will be taken care of.

Apart from this issue, I need to get some facelift work (literally) for my civic like denting, painting, scratch removal and bumper fixes. Seems to have become a ritual every alternate year given traffic conditions
Anyone knows a trusted FNG in Mumbai for such kind of work where I can leave my car with confidence.
Old 6th October 2015, 17:08   #6928
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lokesh View Post
Is this the unique kind of noise that appears only when front right wheel gets into a pothole/bump specifically while turning, sort of like metal clanking?
God i have the same kind of noise and Hass is not able to detect it either. Someone had once suggested it could be the brake dust cover hitting the inner of ball joints the wheel while turning. Someone on this thread had the noise because of a loose power steering oil reservoir. Also in my case I found noise coming from the hood support bar which has developed some play in it and shakes and seem to be making metallic sounds when the car especially at the right goes into a pothole. I tried padding the bar and to some extent I found the noise going down a bit but has not been eradicated. What I plan to do is to tie it up completely and prevent it from moving and see if the noise comes back. If it does then it’s something else altogether.

Edit: BTW how was your Goa trip :-)

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 6th October 2015 at 17:11.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2015, 19:02   #6929
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
God i have the same kind of noise and Hass is not able to detect it either. Someone had once suggested it could be the brake dust cover hitting the inner of ball joints the wheel while turning. Someone on this thread had the noise because of a loose power steering oil reservoir. Also in my case I found noise coming from the hood support bar which has developed some play in it and shakes and seem to be making metallic sounds when the car especially at the right goes into a pothole. I tried padding the bar and to some extent I found the noise going down a bit but has not been eradicated. What I plan to do is to tie it up completely and prevent it from moving and see if the noise comes back. If it does then it’s something else altogether.

Edit: BTW how was your Goa trip :-)
Thanks Sumeet. Should try that trick. Might work.

Goa trip was fantastic except that there was one piddly issue I faced. While crossing Kolhapur (towards Goa), the AC suddenly stopped cooling. I could feel almost no blow of air from any of the vents. Luckily I remembered that this has happened before too when I was in Gurgaon. Decided to give a try before stopping at any workshop. Turned the temperature to warmest and blower to full. Opened all windows and waited for 10 minutes by the clock. Most uncomfortable period of our drive. My wife and kid were like on my head to switch off the warm winds. But voila, the trick worked! I remember last time when this happened, a good and 'rare to find' soul of a local FNG diagnosed the problem to ice around the coils, which eventually blocks the free flow of air and hence results in no cooling - and putting it up on warm mode makes the ice melt away. anyway, after 10 minutes, the AC was back to normal. I think this happened because my wife shut the AC vents of her side since it was cold for her and this thing somehow resulted in formation of ice inside. Last time also it happened exactly like this. Need to ask HASS to diagnose and fix in next visit.

Apart from this all good and hearty.

Anyone else has faced this issue ever?
1lokesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2015, 20:04   #6930
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lokesh View Post
Thanks Sumeet. Should try that trick. Might work.

Goa trip was fantastic except that there was one piddly issue I faced. While crossing Kolhapur (towards Goa), the AC suddenly stopped cooling.
I am not sure about the ice maybe that was the cause of it. In my car after a a/c overhaul the a/c would intermittently stop cooling. The diagnosis was a faulty a/c relay located under the hood of the car. After some period of driving the relay would heat up and the a/c would stop cooling because of that. Keeping the a/c off would cool down the relay and it would start working again. Got it changed for 400 bucks at my then FNG. At Hass it would cost 1200 bucks. But not sure your problem is because of the relay. I don't think we can shut off the a/c vent in the Civic BTW.

One more thing i wanted to know, how much fuel did she take on the trip ?

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 6th October 2015 at 20:06.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks