Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2014, 13:18   #5266
BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Six CDs Stuck in the Music System

When I approached the HASS with the condition above, he says that he has to "send the music system to the service center"

I thought that they (HASS) would be trained to take the CDs out.

Where is the "service center" in Bangalore? Any one had similar issues ?

Thanks in advance !
Old 21st January 2014, 18:39   #5267
BHPian

Just a quick query.

I bought a 2nd hand Honda civic a year and a half back for 5 Lac. It had already done about 42000 kms. Although the car is running great, do you guys think its done a lot of running or is 42000 kms is an average run for a car like civic? The Honda guy who checked the car for me before i decided to buy it told me, that cars like honda do great and beyond a lac n a half kms is considered old not a car thats done only 42,000 kms.

I was just wondering if i bought an old horse for that price?

What is considered old car in your opinion? I mean run-wise.
Old 21st January 2014, 19:05   #5268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen Heat View Post
Just a quick query.

What is considered old car in your opinion? I mean run-wise.
I'd grudgingly consider a Civic "old", once it crosses 2,00,000 kms

That said, it is also important as to how well the equipment is maintained.

42K is nothing for a Civic. Happy Motoring !
Tempelhof is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st January 2014, 21:42   #5269
BHPian

Oh, Thank God, for such a positive reply.

My car runs fine. Engine mount was broken which caused the interiors to rattle and the car to vibrate. But now that i have fixed it, it feels smooth as a magic carpet.

Apparently, disc pads have not been changed yet and the mechanic feels, the pads are perfect for now. So i wont unnecessarily change them.
Old 24th January 2014, 14:13   #5270
BHPian

Which Power Steering Fluid is used in Civic? My car Power steering fluid is little low than the max but still above than the low mark.Due to this there is small whining noise coming uphill. As discussed earlier this is related to the fluid level of power steering. I don't want to Honda just to top few ml of it hence wanted to know which fluid should i buy from local market?
Old 24th January 2014, 14:18   #5271
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkum View Post
Which Power Steering Fluid is used in Civic? My car Power steering fluid is little low than the max but still above than the low mark.Due to this there is small whining noise coming uphill. As discussed earlier this is related to the fluid level of power steering. I don't want to Honda just to top few ml of it hence wanted to know which fluid should i buy from local market?
My garage guy poured in veedol power steering fluid and its running just fine.I Had done a power steering hose change from him.
Old 24th January 2014, 15:09   #5272
BANNED

I have a feeling that the brake, clutch and power steering fluids may be the same, or at least very similar.
Old 25th January 2014, 00:51   #5273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
Six CDs Stuck in the Music System

When I approached the HASS with the condition above, he says that he has to "send the music system to the service center"

I thought that they (HASS) would be trained to take the CDs out.

Where is the "service center" in Bangalore? Any one had similar issues ?

Thanks in advance !
Contact Babu on 99 01 910480
Old 25th January 2014, 16:49   #5274
BHPian

Good evening fellas!

I got the wheel alignment and balancing done on the car, on Tuesday, the 21st of Jan.
After that, I drove the car back home and it stayed there till last evening, i.e. Friday, the 24th, when I took it out, after 3 whole days.

Now, here's the problem and the surprise/shock/confusion regarding a panel gap that has emerged between the LHS fender and the passenger door. It just appeared there. Out of nowhere.
While the car was undergoing the alignment+balancing treatment, there was no sign of any sort of damage/fender bender/panel gap. Below are the pictures from when the car was at the wheel alignment center.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img1970.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img1972.jpg

As you can see, the surface appears absolutely smooth and also, there was not difficulty opening the door either.

However, when I tried opening the LHS passenger door last evening, it made a cranky sound and on further observation, I noticed that a panel gap had 'developed' causing an obstruction that wouldn't let the door to be opened completely!

The car is always parked in the front yard of my house, which has a concrete compound around it, so there's no way someone would have banged their vehicle into mine and zoomed away. This is the only car that gets parked inside the compound. There are no dents/scratches/marks on the fender or the LHS door either! Here are the pictures for that:

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img1976.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img1977.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img1978.jpg

I am absolutely clueless as to what might have caused this panel gap! I need some inputs as to what might have led to this and also, if anyone else has experienced something abnormal like this before! Please help.

Thank you.
Old 2nd February 2014, 22:34   #5275
Senior - BHPian

hi guys, i wonder what frequency you guys check the spare tyre pressure in the civic.The tyre by default is placed in the trunk with the valve facing towards the bottom , this makes refilling air in the spare tyre a tedious task as one has to flip the wheel to fill air.
I have placed the wheel in my civics trunk with the valve side up.What happens is that the wheel keeps banging and making noise when the car goes over humps etc.So what could be the solution to this problem ?

Thanks
Old 2nd February 2014, 22:37   #5276
BHPian

Fill 42psi in spare time and keep it the way factory has designed that's upside down and fasten it with its give. Plastic screw it won't bang or move when car goes over bumps.
Old 3rd February 2014, 00:31   #5277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
The tyre by default is placed in the trunk with the valve facing towards the bottom , this makes refilling air in the spare tyre a tedious task as one has to flip the wheel to fill air.
Agree It is a nuisance.

Before long drives I force myself to spend time on taking everything(tyte, tool-kit, etc) out and lay them on the ground. Then I use my foot-pump and tyre gauge to maintain the pressure +2 to +4 psi above normal (32 to 34 psi).
Old 3rd February 2014, 13:49   #5278
BHPian

Hi there. I just purchased a Honda Civic 2007 AT a couple of months ago. I had the car checked by a mechanic and he said there were 2-3 small problems like break discs, mud flaps and something else that needed replacing and that I could go ahead and buy the car. This is my first car and I'm already starting to feel I got a bad deal. Would really appreciate some help. After about 3-4 months of regular use I now have the following problems.

1. Engine mounting - I believe this could have been detected by my mechanic but I guess he failed to see the gap. Got this changed through Honda.

2. Break pads - At high speeds the car wobbles when breaks are applied. We already knew this was a problem so I'm thinking of getting this done from outside as Honda has quoted 17,500 which is crazy. A friend of mine is in the business of making rubber parts for cars so he said he can source them out for me and I would just need to find someone for labour. I'm hesitant to use the mechanic I have. Can anyone suggest one around Andheri West? Also..good idea to be using non original parts?

3.Timing Belt - Every morning when I start the car and shift into gear there is a loud gurgling sound. When I shift back to neutral it goes away. There is also a hissing sound when I first start the car and also the start up feels heavy when I turn the ignition on. Should I get this replaced from outside?

4. Shocks - My front left side makes a grinding sound whenever I turn the to the right. These sounds were not there before and now have come up. In general there is a 'thud' or not so smooth transition from bumps. Should these be replaced at Honda?

5. Power Steering - At the time of the test drive the steering was smooth and moved with ease. Now there is a moaning sound whenever I turn the wheel while the car is parked and the steering is no longer smooth. Have also noticed as I turn the wheel either complete to the left or right - the rpm moves up a little. Odd but it happens.

I'm generally a calm driver and do not mistreat the car. I'm getting the feeling that somehow the dealer had got most of this work done on a temporary basis. Would appreciate any advice.
Old 3rd February 2014, 23:40   #5279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaderBalooch View Post
Hi there. I just purchased a Honda Civic 2007 AT a couple of months ago. I had the car checked by a mechanic and he said there were 2-3 small problems like break discs, mud flaps and something else that needed replacing and that I could go ahead and buy the car. This is my first car and I'm already starting to feel I got a bad deal. Would really appreciate some help. After about 3-4 months of regular use I now have the following problems.

1. Engine mounting - I believe this could have been detected by my mechanic but I guess he failed to see the gap. Got this changed through Honda.

2. Break pads - At high speeds the car wobbles when breaks are applied. We already knew this was a problem so I'm thinking of getting this done from outside as Honda has quoted 17,500 which is crazy. A friend of mine is in the business of making rubber parts for cars so he said he can source them out for me and I would just need to find someone for labour. I'm hesitant to use the mechanic I have. Can anyone suggest one around Andheri West? Also..good idea to be using non original parts?

3.Timing Belt - Every morning when I start the car and shift into gear there is a loud gurgling sound. When I shift back to neutral it goes away. There is also a hissing sound when I first start the car and also the start up feels heavy when I turn the ignition on. Should I get this replaced from outside?

4. Shocks - My front left side makes a grinding sound whenever I turn the to the right. These sounds were not there before and now have come up. In general there is a 'thud' or not so smooth transition from bumps. Should these be replaced at Honda?

5. Power Steering - At the time of the test drive the steering was smooth and moved with ease. Now there is a moaning sound whenever I turn the wheel while the car is parked and the steering is no longer smooth. Have also noticed as I turn the wheel either complete to the left or right - the rpm moves up a little. Odd but it happens.

I'm generally a calm driver and do not mistreat the car. I'm getting the feeling that somehow the dealer had got most of this work done on a temporary basis. Would appreciate any advice.

Answers to your problems

Problem no.2- check brake pads at front and at back and when you get the brake pads replaced get the discs skimmed hence you wont get vibrations when you do heavy braking. Vibrations occur due to brake disc have "run-out".

problem.no3- Your serpentine belt or worst case the belt tensioner is on its way out if any of the above goes kaput you loose power steering, alternator, and Ac basically car has a breakdown.

problem no4- Looks more to be a work out strut mount and if the car touches on front left only then its shocks also which are short solution is replacement and nothing else.

Problem no5- Power steering being heavy can be due to combination of problem no3 and 4 or its that the Pump or rack have oil pressure loss in them.
observe your power steering oil levels.

Regards
Jatin.Patel
Old 4th February 2014, 02:38   #5280
BHPian

Quote:
Hi there. I just purchased a Honda Civic 2007 AT a couple of months ago.
Mine is also a 2007 AT!
And in great shape!

Quote:
Have also noticed as I turn the wheel either complete to the left or right - the rpm moves up a little. Odd but it happens.
This is perfectly normal, it just means that the steering is using power from the engine.
manim is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks