Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2013, 09:35   #5191
BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Though i am not sure about what components were changed a clutch overhaul costed 12k to some members on this forum.Think you can look up smartcat's thread or search within this thread for more info.
You are right Sumeet, the clutch overhaul costed me Rs. 12k and the steering repair costed me Rs. 24k. The breakup is as follows:
1. Power Steering Rack Repair - Rs. 14,500
2. Power Steering Pump Repair - Rs. 9,500
3. Friction Plate - Rs. 3,500
4. Pressure Plate - Rs. 3,000
5. Clutch Bearings - Rs. 1,500
6. Clutch Master Cylinder - Rs. 5,000
7. Flywheel skimming - Rs. 2,000

These include labour charges. Total comes to ~ 38-39k, i paid Rs. 36k.
rohan.xj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2013, 14:31   #5192
BHPian

Quote:
Guys has anyone used castrol magnatec 10w 40 in their civic ?
Hi Sumeet,

I had put in Castrol Magnatec 10W - 40 in my Honda Civic as well as Ford Figo 3-4 months back. Immediately afterward, i could feel the engine becoming more smooth. Also, both the cars have been running fine without any issues.
civic-dk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2013, 15:32   #5193
BANNED

@civic-dk and sumeethaldankar; Magnatec is also sold in 5(or 10)W30! That may be more appropriate and possibly 2% or so economical in fuel consumption.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th December 2013, 14:20   #5194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@civic-dk and sumeethaldankar; Magnatec is also sold in 5(or 10)W30! That may be more appropriate and possibly 2% or so economical in fuel consumption.
SG,

Thanks for the inputs. Does HASS put 10W30 oil? I remember it being Idemitsu oil. Also, it will be great if you could explain why 10W30 will be better and will lead to better fuel economy vis-a-vis 10W40.

On another note, I recently purchased Honda logoed key ring from eBay. Looks good. I am attaching the photograph for the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-key-ring-honda.jpg  

Old 26th December 2013, 12:07   #5195
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-dk View Post
Thanks for the inputs. Does HASS put 10W30 oil? I remember it being Idemitsu oil. Also, it will be great if you could explain why 10W30 will be better and will lead to better fuel economy vis-a-vis 10W40.
Yes, the semi- is that with the Savita tag.
Old 29th December 2013, 21:50   #5196
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,

I had posted about how a Rat had made it's way on top of my Civic's fuel filter from the bottom and costed me a bomb to fix the fuel pipe.Below is the linky to the same.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3276816

I had gone to my mechanic Joe this sat to get a wire mesh fitted so that the rat does not come back and cause havoc again.When the mechanic opened the rear seat and the metal frame housing the filter we were both surprised to see the rat sitting on top of the fuel strainer again.

My mechanic is located at Bandra and i live 4-5 kms away.I had given the car for a wash as well and had instructed them to fill up the area around the fuel strainer with a wire mesh.I was shocked to see that the rat didn't budge all this way to the garage from my home and even a wash did not deter him from leaving.

The rat incident had happened to me in Oct. It's end of Dec and i shudder to think that the rat was with me all the time and the all the places i have driven in the last 2 months . Anyways the mechanic was able to drive the rodent out. They tried to kill it but were unsuccessful and it managed to slip away in the drain.

The rat had chewed a bit off the rubber part but not where it could cause a fuel leakage again.The same was sealed by a tape and i thanked my stars else it would have been another 7k down the drain.

I have attached pics of the before and after.Please note the gaping hole between the fuel strainer and the bottom.If your area is rat infested i would suggest all to get a wire mesh squeezed in between the fuel strainer and the area surrounding it.We even smeared the wire mesh with grease and tobacco to ward off such evil rats.

The wire mesh cost me 120 Rs per meter or so (we needed 2 meters) and is a small price to pay for peace of mind.

Notice the space between the fuel strainer.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-filter_space1dsc_0133.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-filter_space_2dsc_0134.jpg

Fitted a wire mesh in between. More was fitted after this pic was taken just to be sure.
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-filster_space_3dsc_0135.jpg
sumeethaldankar is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 29th December 2013, 23:26   #5197
BHPian

<Posted in incorrect thread. Mods please delete this post.>

Last edited by katpasin : 29th December 2013 at 23:35.
Old 30th December 2013, 19:06   #5198
BHPian

I found yesterday that the SD card with navigation software from the Map My India In-dash AVN system (in my Honda Civic) has been taken out (stolen ) by somebody. Most likely it happened on 24-Dec when I had given my Car for servicing to HASS.

Now, the Navigator will not work unless I buy the SD card with pre-loaded software from Map My India which costs Rs 7000. My question is, do we have any other cheaper option?

Will appreciate quick inputs.
Old 30th December 2013, 20:57   #5199
BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys,

I had posted about how a Rat had made it's way on top of my Civic's fuel filter from the bottom and costed me a bomb to fix the fuel pipe.Below is the linky to the same.
Fitted a wire mesh in between. More was fitted after this pic was taken just to be sure.
Attachment 1184253
Hello Sumeet,

Very educative.

Can you please highlight the portion of the photo you are pointing to.

Annotate the photo, I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
For sometime now I found the key to be erratic in locking and unlocking. I needed to do it twice/thrice to get it locked/unlocked. Its been six years and probably the battery could have lost its charge given my frequency of Car usage.
Many makes are available at various price points. This fellow was quoted at Rs 85, finally obtained at Rs 50 from a local watch repair shop.
Hello Laluks,

My key begins to respond only after I press the button repeatedly 15-20 times.

Thereafter it works flawlessly, till the next time that is.

Is it a sign that I need to change the battery?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by skdking : 30th December 2013 at 21:01.
Old 31st December 2013, 09:36   #5200
BHPian

Quote:

My key begins to respond only after I press the button repeatedly 15-20 times.

Thereafter it works flawlessly, till the next time that is.

Is it a sign that I need to change the battery?

Thanks in advance.
I was facing similar issues, changed the battery and it works fine now. Battery type is CR1616
srsriharsha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2014, 13:23   #5201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I found yesterday that the SD card with navigation software from the Map My India In-dash AVN system (in my Honda Civic) has been taken out (stolen ) by somebody. Most likely it happened on 24-Dec when I had given my Car for servicing to HASS.

Now, the Navigator will not work unless I buy the SD card with pre-loaded software from Map My India which costs Rs 7000. My question is, do we have any other cheaper option?

Will appreciate quick inputs.
It is always recommended to keep a backup of the SD card contents. In any case, check with the HASS folks first and then with the MMI folks if they can replace a stolen/lost card. Other cheaper options such as Satguide are not as good as MMI in terms of map accuracy and coverage.
vasoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2014, 15:45   #5202
BANNED

Quote:
Very silly, should teach all of us to be extra careful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
1. It is always recommended to keep a backup of the SD card contents. In any case, check with the HASS folks first and then with the MMI folks if they can replace a stolen/lost card.
2. Other cheaper options such as Satguide are not as good as MMI in terms of map accuracy and coverage.
1. A backup is no good, since it is mated to the card.
2. Satguide is the worst the three - Satguide, NavTeq, and MMI. Also, the software(s) should match. You should have the serial no. in the paperwork for the AVN. Approach MMI with that outlining what happened. Who knows maybe ...
Old 1st January 2014, 19:00   #5203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Very silly, should teach all of us to be extra careful.

1. A backup is no good, since it is mated to the card.
2. Satguide is the worst the three - Satguide, NavTeq, and MMI. Also, the software(s) should match. You should have the serial no. in the paperwork for the AVN. Approach MMI with that outlining what happened. Who knows maybe ...
I keep a backup of MMI maps and it works perfectly. In fact I have copied the files to a bigger SD card and is using that card along with other Garmin maps for my US and Europe trips.
vasoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2014, 20:25   #5204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Sumeet,

I had put in Castrol Magnatec 10W - 40 in my Honda Civic as well as Ford Figo 3-4 months back. Immediately afterward, i could feel the engine becoming more smooth. Also, both the cars have been running fine without any issues.
Hi,
I am from hyderabad too and was interested to know where you procured the suspension buffers and also which private mechanic you go to for the civics service.

I have never given my car to a unauthorised workshop but I would like to try.
Also is 10w 40 recommended ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamkaushik View Post
Is it just me to find 28,000 km for a 6 year old car a bit weird ?
Just saying..
I have 2008 honda civic VAT and have just done 38000km.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Anybody here who have upgraded from 195 section tyres to 205, have you noticed a considerable drop in FE?
I have upgraded to 205 section with 16 inch original Japanese civic alloys
ecosport rules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2014, 09:48   #5205
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
I keep a backup of MMI maps and it works perfectly. In fact I have copied the files to a bigger SD card and is using that card along with other Garmin maps for my US and Europe trips.
Excellent. So the mapping be specific to the unit. Also, my son tells me that Pearl Honda, Gurgson make it a point to remove the uSD card and hand it over to you. The reason is that they are not sure about the washing & cleaning guys. He may pinch it for using in his mobile!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks