Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2013, 08:27   #5056
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Yes it does reduce the airflow, because we are putting in a barrier in between the normal flow channel.
Also, if one happen to put in one, it is required to replace in a timely manner, else it will do more harm than good, further adding to the maintenance value.

None of the above are a justification to omit the same, it has its own set of advantages, one such is evident from the picture, Vineet has shared.

On a different note, happen to see this update in Honda's site. Pretty small, but useful titbit.
https://www.hondacarindia.com/about/technology.aspx
Old 12th November 2013, 09:50   #5057
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
But is there a reason why Honda didn't put it in in the first place? I read sonewhere that it reduces the airconditioning airflow. is that true?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Yes it does reduce the airflow, because we are putting in a barrier in between the normal flow channel.
I do not understand Honda's silly logic. There is a dedicated thread to this issue.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...car-too-4.html

I think they were pinching pennies, in fact the moulding in the Brio is one piece, so you cannot install a filter. The Accord probably has one (fits the Civic) and the City has one as standard.

What they may have thought is that cars in India will almost always be on 'recirculate' so the dust will not be huge. Also, there is some moolah to be made in overhauling the AC's more frequently, to remove the clogging in the evaporator. I will say given our dusty conditions the filter should be mandatory. Maybe some Indian manufacturer can oblige.
Old 12th November 2013, 10:26   #5058
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Also, if one happen to put in one, it is required to replace in a timely manner, else it will do more harm than good, further adding to the maintenance value.

https://www.hondacarindia.com/about/technology.aspx
Yes, There is a drop in airflow, but very minute. No effect on the performance of A/C even in the Gurgaon heat.

Yes, when i changed the filter in April, it was clogged and did reduce the airflow quite a bit. But i changed it and it immediately became fine.

Should be changed every 6 months at least in Delhi NCR and similar dusty areas.

And as you and SGIITK have said, there is no logic in omitting such an essential item. Somebody somewhere in Honda thinking that we dont deserve to breathe clean air or they can make more money cleaning up clogged A/Cs
Old 13th November 2013, 19:46   #5059
BHPian

I had checked the cabin filter more than a year back and it was not present.
Today during 40k service (odo still at 26k), to my surprise, it was replaced and the cost including all taxes is only 1400 (here in Pune). SA showed me the old one and dust/dirt on it was similar to snap posted before in this thread.
So during some previous service this got added to the vehicle. Not sure how I missed it.
Part number mentioned on bill is OTLOAPACM700 and description is APAC.

Also replaced was infamously costing fuel filter for Rs 4250 (incl taxes).

Fuel system cleaning worth Rs 2250 and AC disinfection worth 880 got shoved down my throat this time although I must agree AC disinfection was required after 3 years as there used to be a strange odour at times which has gone away now.

There is a humming noise from front wheels which I could hear since more than a year now and in past 2 services it has been diagnosed as tyre noise. This time SA said it could be bearing noise but later, after inspecting by removing wheels etc., said its tyre noise. How can one determine whether its tyre noise/bearing noise or anything else?

I just don't want to get fooled by this as warranty will be over in next 6 months (if at all its covered under warranty as being discussed here www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/141902-pre-worshipped-honda-civic-v-t-ceevee-new-post.html).

Last edited by alto99 : 13th November 2013 at 20:00.
Old 14th November 2013, 00:16   #5060
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post
Part number mentioned on bill is OTLOAPACM700 and description is APAC.
This is wierd, Crystal Honda charged me only 350 for the same part. Where did you give it for service?

Gave it for service on 27th October and after reading the other thread on AC Filters, i enquired with SA about the cabin filter, he gave me vague excuse on how it effects the AC system and why we shouldnt install it. I left it at there and didnt bother proding much, as by then i spoke to sgiitk sir and decided to import Fram/Wix from USA and order was placed by then on Amazon.

After every service, i also give my car for detailing and i took it to 3M guys and while cleaning up the AC with their disinfectant program, we discovered the cabin filter was indeed present in my civic, i was till then under the assumption, it wasnt, as i didnt bother to check. Now that you mentioned the part and description, quickly checked my bill and noticed they charged me Rs 350 for the same part.

They charged me Rs 1026 for Engine Air Filter, can you double check, If they mixed up the costs?

Last edited by Sushubh : 14th November 2013 at 00:39.
Old 14th November 2013, 06:48   #5061
Senior - BHPian

Has any one changed Front Wheel bearings? What is the approximate cost?

What are the symptoms that you got before identifying the problem?
Old 14th November 2013, 09:31   #5062
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Has any one changed Front Wheel bearings? What is the approximate cost?

What are the symptoms that you got before identifying the problem?
I was quoted 12k probably for all wheels by soiltaire honda.The typo is intended.I am not sure about symptoms but it should look like a greedy and incompetent hass advisor for anyone to get the bearings changed

My mechanic joe refuted the hass claims and am still chugging along,Maybe you could show it to a good garage.
Old 14th November 2013, 10:23   #5063
BANNED

I must say I am surprised, since in November when I was there for my Brio service, I had SA check for the Civic. Even though the picture shown it the actual part no. is just not there on the on-line spares directory.
Old 14th November 2013, 10:24   #5064
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushubh View Post
This is wierd, Crystal Honda charged me only 350 for the same part. Where did you give it for service?

They charged me Rs 1026 for Engine Air Filter, can you double check, If they mixed up the costs?
I had it serviced with Deccan Pimpri. I used to service at Crystal before but stopped because mainly its just way too far and they have started charging extra for credit card payments and take a very long time even for a minor service.
During the final inspection after service SA informed that cabin air filter was changed to which I was surprised. He opened it and showed the new one to me and also showed the older one. He mentioned the cost as 1400 which is recently increased from 1300. The part number is my guess but there is nothing else worth 1300-1400 in the invoice (which incidentally I don't have with now). I will post it tonight.

Irrespective of that it is surprising that there is Rs 1000 different for same part in same city.
Old 17th November 2013, 13:14   #5065
Senior - BHPian

My civic is now more than 6.5 years old. March 2007 model. 83k kms and counting. Barring one major incident when my car got partially submerged in gurgaon due to excessive rains, I've not had a single issue. Now, as the car ages, i've seen maintainence bills inflating. So I just want to know from others who've got the civic for a longer time, what additional care is required to keep the car in top notch condition as it ages?
Honda A.S.S advised me to go for windshield polishing ( there were quite a few scratches and visibility was reducing) and anti - rust treatment ( although I am yet to see any rust on this car, not fully convinced I needed this), I went ahead and got both of them done, my pocket a good 6k lighter, I wasn't convinced and feel it was not needed. Or maybe I'm wrong. comments?

Last edited by coolkurt : 17th November 2013 at 13:14. Reason: spelling
Old 18th November 2013, 08:20   #5066
BHPian

Guys. I bought a 2008 pre owned Civic a year back but I seem to be having a problem with the low mileage I am getting. It usually 6.5 but the last 2 months it has been 5.9 or 5.8.
Now I'm not sure of you know how the Cochin traffic is but it's pretty congested and on an average, I may drive the car for 25 or 30 km in a week, only during weekends that is, since I commute to the office by our company bus and I also have 2 other cars, so I run them in between as well.
Now my local mechanic told me this is normal since it's heavy traffic and I'm not using the car much. Is this true? The car has been serviced regularly and also having tyre pressure 32 psi.
I got a feedback from a fellow team bhp member and owner of a similar car, that this is abnormal and I need to show it to the H.A.S.S. Probably something wrong with the air filter or even the O2 sensor (which I thought should throw up the engine warning light in the dashboard but I don't see that).
Another doubt I had is the famed engine mount. Now when I start the car first thing in the morning and I switch it off before it gets warmed,I can feel the cabin shudder for a second. Once it's warm I don't feel that though. Anyway to confirm if the engine mount has problem? I think there was a pictorial description in this thread that showed inserting a coin or something to check if the gap is there between the mounts and the body.

Last edited by rosh_aveo1.4 : 18th November 2013 at 08:27.
Old 18th November 2013, 08:29   #5067
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh_aveo1.4 View Post
Guys. I bought a 2008 pre owned Civic a year back but I seem to be having a problem with the low mileage I am getting. It usually 6.5 but the last 2 months it has been 5.9 or 5.8.
Now I'm not sure of you know how the Cochin traffic is but it's pretty congested and on an average, I may drive the car for 25 or 30 km in a week, only during weekends that is, since I commute to the office by our company bus and I also have 2 other cars, so I run them in between as well.
Now my local mechanic told me this is normal since it's heavy traffic and I'm not using the car much. Is this true? The car has been serviced regularly and also having tyre pressure 32 psi.
I got a feedback from a fellow team bhp member and owner of a similar car, that this is abnormal and I need to show it to the H.A.S.S. Probably something wrong with the air filter or even the O2 sensor (which I thought should throw up the engine warning light in the dashboard but I don't see that).
Another doubt I had is the famed engine mount. Now when I start the car first thing in the morning and I switch it off before it gets warmed,I can feel the cabin shudder for a second. Once it's warm I don't feel that though. Anyway to confirm if the engine mount has problem? I think there was a pictorial description in this thread that showed inserting a coin or something to check if the gap is there between the mounts and the body.
Two of your problems are famed issues seen in almost all Civics sold in India.
Your fuel filter is definitely clogged. Have it checked and replaced if necessary. It's an expensive part but you will recover it's cost with the fuel efficiency gains.
Your mount is failing. The moment you realize you can't take the vibrations, change the mount. You can drive on right now if the vibrations are not too much.
Old 18th November 2013, 08:39   #5068
BHPian

Quote:
Guys. I bought a 2008 pre owned Civic a year back but I seem to be having a problem with the low mileage I am getting. It usually 6.5 but the last 2 months it has been 5.9 or 5.8. Now I'm not sure of you know how the Cochin traffic is but it's pretty congested and on an average, I may drive the car for 30 or 50 km in a week, only during weekends that is since I commute to the office by our company bus. Now my local mechanic told me this is normal since it's heavy traffic and I'm not using the car much. Is this true? The car has been serviced regularly and also having tyre pressure 32 psi. I got a feedback from a fellow team bhp member and owner of a similar car, that this is abnormal and I need to show it to the H.A.S.S. Probably something wrong with the air filter or even the O2 sensor (which I thought should throw up the engine warning light in the dashboard but I don't see that).
The mileage is definitely very low even considering kochi traffic. My civic gives me 9-10 kmpl even in peak Mumbai traffic. You should definitely get this checked.
Old 18th November 2013, 08:40   #5069
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Two of your problems are famed issues seen in almost all Civics sold in India.
Your fuel filter is definitely clogged. Have it checked and replaced if necessary. It's an expensive part but you will recover it's cost with the fuel efficiency gains.
Your mount is failing. The moment you realize you can't take the vibrations, change the mount. You can drive on right now if the vibrations are not too much.
Thanks for the quick reply Frank. I had a feeling the filters could be the culprit. Will do a check with H.A.S.S. But I wonder if my mechanic can take care of that. Anyways, forgot to add that it's an automatic. So I first thought the low mileage is justified due to the auto transmission + bad traffic. But such low figures, this is taking it to the V6 territory. The last straw was when I heard my brother in laws Audi A4 3.2 FSI petrol engine gives better mileage!

Last edited by rosh_aveo1.4 : 18th November 2013 at 08:41.
rosh_aveo1.4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2013, 10:20   #5070
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It usually 6.5 but the last 2 months it has been 5.9 or 5.8. Now I'm not sure of you know how the Cochin traffic is but it's pretty congested and on an average, I may drive the car for 25 or 30 km in a week, only during weekends that is
Seems like you're hardly giving the engine enough time to warm up (8 kms per run minimum as the manual says). Even so, 6 kmpl is too less.

Please do a controlled mileage test on an empty road. Nothing fancy. Just reset your trip meter at around 60 kmph in top gear on am empty stretch of flat (no slopes) road that is around 1-2 kms long and see what the fuel efficiency indicator reads at the end of the stretch. With AC off, and since yours is an AT (taller gearing than an MT) the indicator should read more than 22.0 km/l if things are fine. This figure of 22 is from shuvc's similar controlled test on his MT a few months back in Kolkata. Air density and fuel quality issues aside, you should see more than 22 because of the taller gearing.

If not, get parts inspected and cleaned/replaced/adjusted as necessary.

Regards,
spadix

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks