Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2013, 12:52   #5176
BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by katpasin View Post
Hi,
I am considering a pre-owned Honda Civic or Honda City Automatic variants(S AT). City suits my need more.

4. Heard of issues like engine mount and D blink in Civic, did you encounter any of these issues? going through the forum learnt that these are pretty heavy on the pocket to get fixed.
D blink issue is very rare. Did not see multiple cases apart from mine. CITY AT also uses same components, so your risk in automatic is equalled. The costs of the parts should be similar.
devsoftech is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2013, 13:49   #5177
BHPian

Since i have both City AT ('05 CVT) and Civic AT (08) i can try explaining the difference out.

Our City has 185/65 R14 and civic has 205/65 R15 tires

City : Extremely nimble, great low end torque, light steering, short turning radius, better city fuel economy and slightly cheaper spares.

Cons: Feels slightly strained over 120

Civic : Much more robustly built, spacious, better comfort, relaxed highway cruiser, great brakes, heavy steering

Cons: Long turning radius, slightly costlier spares and service, lower city fuel economy compared to city, low gc when 5 on board.

Summing up IMO:
If your primary driving doesn't involve highway drives go for city because its easy to drive in city and makes more sense as a daily driver. If you use it not so often and drive more on free roads go for civic its an entirely different car and cruises effortlessly at high speeds.

Regards,
Sriharsha

Last edited by srsriharsha : 18th December 2013 at 13:51.
srsriharsha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2013, 14:02   #5178
BHPian

Taking forward my previous post where i had sought opinion on servicing the clutch assembly for my Civic, happy to report that I just got it fixed.

Got a checkup done at Arya Honda (BKC) and Linkway Honda (Chandivali) and got similar opinion from both. Arya Honda mentioned a bill of Rs. ~50k for changing the clutch assembly and some parts of the steering column (closer inspection showed that there was some leakage indeed). Linkway Honda came up with an estimate of Rs. 65k for the same job (higher bill estimate due to proposed flywheel replacement).

After prolonged negotiations i managed to get the job done in Rs. 35k (without bill) at Linkway. This includes clutch overhaul wherein pressure plate, clutch plate, bearings and clutch master cylinder were replaced and flywheel was "polished". For the power steering repair, I was told that the bearings and a few other parts have been replaced.

Post service, i have driven about 50 km and find a remarkable change in the clutch (literally feather touch operations to press the clutch). The car feels incredibly light and am expecting an improvement in the fuel efficiency as well.

Plan to go for a suspension overhaul and tyre replacement in next phase, will keep you posted.

Request for advice/suggestions on bill amount/service.

My earlier post can be accessed at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3285591
Old 18th December 2013, 21:46   #5179
Senior - BHPian

Though i am not sure about what components were changed a clutch overhaul costed 12k to some members on this forum.Think you can look up smartcat's thread or search within this thread for more info.
Old 18th December 2013, 22:52   #5180
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
Good to see someone from Hyderabad. I am considering a pre-owned Honda Civic or Honda City Automatic variants(S AT). City suits my need more.
========
Really appreciate if you can take time out to help me.
Hi Katpasin,

I got it from a dealer, and it is S AT version, 2007 model. After buying the car, I have got Engine Mount and Lower Arm Bushings replaced (from my trusted multi-brand workshop).

I am wary of putting price and mileage figures here as it will lead to discussions on whether mileage was genuine, whether I paid more / less than I should have.

Please PM me your number, so that I can call you and provide the details over phone.
Old 19th December 2013, 17:17   #5181
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VineetG View Post
Just came back from my 70,000 Kms service. The following was done
- Wiper Blades replace ~ 1600 rupees
Buddy, I got my blades (both sides) changed in Arya Honda (Sewri) in October for Rs. 500 odd. How come Ring road charged you close to three times that. Was it just the blades or something else as well.
Old 19th December 2013, 20:44   #5182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-dk View Post
Hi Katpasin,

I got it from a dealer, and it is S AT version, 2007 model. After buying the car, I have got Engine Mount and Lower Arm Bushings replaced (from my trusted multi-brand workshop).

I am wary of putting price and mileage figures here as it will lead to discussions on whether mileage was genuine, whether I paid more / less than I should have.

Please PM me your number, so that I can call you and provide the details over phone.
Hi - Unable to PM you. I guess you have messaging disabled.
Old 19th December 2013, 22:29   #5183
BHPian

Quote:
Hi - Unable to PM you. I guess you have messaging disabled.
That may be the case as I am still a Newbie. Is there any other way we can establish contact?
Old 19th December 2013, 23:30   #5184
Senior - BHPian

Guys i am again in dilemma with respect to the engine oil.My last oil change was with mobil 10w 30 and quite frankly am not happy with it's performance.So what other alternatives do i have in the mineral oil options.
I am considering total 10 w 40 synth oil do you guys think its a good choice ?
Old 20th December 2013, 09:55   #5185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun Venugopal View Post
Buddy, I got my blades (both sides) changed in Arya Honda (Sewri) in October for Rs. 500 odd. How come Ring road charged you close to three times that. Was it just the blades or something else as well.
Hi,

My Wiper blades are the ones in which only the thin rubber inserts are changed. They have a thick black metal frame. Earlier also, i got them changed at around the same cost.

WHich blades do you have? The bracketless ones? In fact, my thin wiper blade inserts should be cheaper than the thick bracketless ones. Do you have a part number from the bill? I will also look up my bill.

Thanks a ton
Old 20th December 2013, 10:57   #5186
BHPian

I have a question about the brakes. I noticed that while braking at high speeds (130+) i sometimes feel like the ABS kicks in. Is this normal ? Nothing under normal breaking. How do i know if the discs have uneven wear ?
Old 20th December 2013, 18:59   #5187
BHPian

Below is my experience which is actually and eye-opener for all of us.
Around 10 days back I got my Civic serviced from Arya Honda Lalbaug, at that time itself I took and AMC from them for next 12 months which includes 4 services. Now here is the real part, it was a major service so all the brakes were checked and cleaned . The service advisor told me that brake pads are fine. Now mine is a Civic A/T whose brake pads were changed some 25k kms back. After the service I observed some times noise coming from the front left wheel when the car is in motion. It made me believe that the brake pads might be touching the disc and probably they have not been fitted properly or there might be some stone struck in the brakes. I went there today and they checked the pads, they said that pad life has almost come to an end and it needs to be replaced . I was surprised as they only had done the service 10 days back and not confirmed any such issue. I discussed this issue with them , the service advisor wads Mr Ashish who was attending me today ( though last time car was not serviced by him ) he called his senior Mr Rohan who was probably the Senior Service Manager. They told me that total bill for replacement and the job will be around 8500/- further they said they will not charge labor and for brake oil so the bill will be below 8k. I again explained them what was my point of view and then they said in that case they need 1 day to get the resolution, I explained them that I'm short of time and won't be able to come again or leave my car. They asked 1 hour from me.

After 1 hour Mr Rohan came with another co-worker and told me that Sir we will replace the pads free of cost and also do the skimming of disk and everything else and you need not worry on anything. I was amazed based on their revert. In next 1 hour they did the entire job on my car and changed the pads etc.

This experience actually made me learn a lot about their customer service levels.
Old 20th December 2013, 22:00   #5188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Guys i am again in dilemma with respect to the engine oil.My last oil change was with mobil 10w 30 and quite frankly am not happy with it's performance.So what other alternatives do i have in the mineral oil options.
I am considering total 10 w 40 synth oil do you guys think its a good choice ?
Guys has anyone used castrol magnatec 10w 40 in their civic ?
Old 22nd December 2013, 13:22   #5189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Guys has anyone used castrol magnatec 10w 40 in their civic ?
Im using shell helix ultra in my civic at. The car runs like clockwork, no problems whatsoever.
Old 22nd December 2013, 19:10   #5190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VineetG View Post
Hi,

My Wiper blades are the ones in which only the thin rubber inserts are changed. They have a thick black metal frame. Earlier also, i got them changed at around the same cost.

WHich blades do you have? The bracketless ones? In fact, my thin wiper blade inserts should be cheaper than the thick bracketless ones. Do you have a part number from the bill? I will also look up my bill.

Thanks a ton
I have the exact same wiper blades you have. Seem to have misplaced the bill, will try and get the part number for you from the service centre.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks