Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2012, 21:24   #3676
BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by kranti View Post
Glad that our posts here on the warranty front were cited as a precedents.

According to what I was told, you might not qualify for the warranty, if you bought it in May 2007. Apparently, only cars that were bought less than five years ago are covered, and your car is just over five years old.

That said, no harm in checking with Honda and trying to get it replaced under warranty. Hope they do consider your case, as this is a genuine problem with Civics.
Thanks. Seeing autofreak's post mentioning his civic as being apr 2007 one I presumed otherwise.

@autofreak, can you throw some light on it.
Old 11th September 2012, 10:15   #3677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MumbaiBoy View Post
My July 2006 Civic has just returned from a routine servicing by Apex Honda (Mumbai) at 110,000 kms. Within the first 50 km, I noticed slower roll towards red lights and an inspection showed right-rear brake disc was extremely hot. This had happened about 15,000 km earlier and Apex then claimed that the fix was to replace brake pads (duly done). Now they say that problem is due to brake caliper being rusted and they should be replaced - estimate given is Rs.9,000 per wheel and 10 days to obtain part from Chennai. Has anyone else had a simialr problem, or replaced brake caliper.
have replaced both front calipers , my car has done 46000kms, front lh was changed in warranty, front rh out of warranty yestarday, seems like an achillees heel
Old 11th September 2012, 13:21   #3678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
Thanks. Seeing autofreak's post mentioning his civic as being apr 2007 one I presumed otherwise.

Ah, didn't notice autofreak had a april 2007 model. Well, maybe you can use his posts here as a precedent to get your claim processed.

Since it's a fair bit of money, you should definitely give it a shot.
kranti is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2012, 21:28   #3679
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post

Hi skdking
Sorry for the delay. As I said, it is only for particular VIN no. series and is independent of car's age. My car was Apr '07 and it had clocked 41K during replacement. What I would recommend is, just inform the SA about warranty and give my case as reference. If possible you may visit Capital Honda, Perungudi since they would remember the case.

All the best
autofreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2012, 21:40   #3680
Senior - BHPian

How much is the gap for the engine mount? While my car does not yet have any telltale signs, I thought I'd check the gap today.

The blade of the car key slides into the gap comfortably with an additional gap of about another mm or two.

Is this narrow?
shuvc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2012, 22:19   #3681
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
How much is the gap for the engine mount? While my car does not yet have any telltale signs, I thought I'd check the gap today.

The blade of the car key slides into the gap comfortably with an additional gap of about another mm or two.

Is this narrow?
This is detailed by laluks in this page;
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...t-dos-112.html
sarathlal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2012, 00:04   #3682
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
This is detailed by laluks in this page;
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...t-dos-112.html
I did see this earlier when he had posted. Thanks for digging it up and refreshing my memory.

But I'm still unable to make out the quantum of the gap from the close ups. Since they are close-ups the gap in the snap could be a bit magnified from what it actually should be?

Wish there was a snap of the gap relative to something common .. keys, coins, etc.
Old 12th September 2012, 09:37   #3683
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did see this earlier when he had posted. Thanks for digging it up and refreshing my memory.

But I'm still unable to make out the quantum of the gap from the close ups. Since they are close-ups the gap in the snap could be a bit magnified from what it actually should be?

Wish there was a snap of the gap relative to something common .. keys, coins, etc.
I think if the mount is out you will find vibrations while reversing especially in the morning plus while driving over potholes one can feel the engine jumping etc.Best way is to be sure if you are worried is to take it a service station and get it tested.Even i check the mount by placing one my keys (not the ignition) and feel if there is any change in the free movement of the key as compared to before.

I guess it's possible that someone with a relatively new car or mount could help us out here by taking pictures of the gap between the mount with a 5 re coin etc.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 12th September 2012 at 09:39.
Old 12th September 2012, 10:54   #3684
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Don't know whether this will help without a pic.

I was able to put three two rupee coin in that gap. While trying to place the fourth, it felt like it will go in, but was a tight fit, so didn't try squeezing in.

Mine is a '10 model with 20k on odo.
sarathlal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th September 2012, 15:42   #3685
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autofreak View Post
Hi skdking
Sorry for the delay. As I said, it is only for particular VIN no. series and is independent of car's age. My car was Apr '07 and it had clocked 41K during replacement. What I would recommend is, just inform the SA about warranty and give my case as reference. If possible you may visit Capital Honda, Perungudi since they would remember the case.

All the best
Hi there,

Firstly, a big thank you.

Since today morn I am attempting to get my mounts changed under warranty somehow, with some success. The guy at Capital Honda in Perungudi was acting pricey initially. Let us see what happens. BTW, whom did you deal with?

I want to be ready to contact Honda people if the lower people act funny.

Can we know through your friend the contact details of the right people to contact, if required.

P.S - If I have made an improper request pl pardon me.

Thanks.

Last edited by skdking : 12th September 2012 at 15:48.
Old 13th September 2012, 09:15   #3686
Senior - BHPian

An attempt to get the relative perspective;

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-engine-mount.jpg
sarathlal is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th September 2012, 11:39   #3687
BHPian

I have given my 2007 Civic AT for a 40k service. The service manager says the radiator has developed 2 leaks and needs to be replaced. He asked me not to get it repaired from a local radiator repair shop as it is a very important part of the engine and may give up again.

I saw the engine mounts have completely gone and the service manager said they have to be replaced. But he offered to get them replaced under warranty, even though the warranty has expired long back. He is trying for an approval as we speak.

Question is, is it worth replacing the radiator which costs 11K or can a local shop can fix it reliably?

Thx in advance.
Old 13th September 2012, 11:54   #3688
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by patron View Post
I have given my 2007 Civic AT for a 40k service. The service manager says the radiator has developed 2 leaks and needs to be replaced. He asked me not to get it repaired from a local radiator repair shop as it is a very important part of the engine and may give up again.
If these are minor then additives like Bars Leaks, etc. Radiator Sealants from many others are very effective and long term solutions. Repairing should be Ok, provided the chap knows how to fix aluminium radiators. I think most should be Ok in this regard by now.

Last edited by sgiitk : 13th September 2012 at 11:58.
Old 13th September 2012, 17:46   #3689
BHPian

Its better to go for radiator replacement as the repairs in an aluminium radiator dont last much and they will risk the health of the engine cause the engine wont runt at the optimum temperature and hence greater engine damage and in future bigger engine repair bill then the new radiator cost.
Old 14th September 2012, 11:34   #3690
BHPian

Re my post No. 3676.

Happy to tell all that Capital Honda (Meenambakkam) checked my civic's vin No. and agreed to change my engine mounts under warranty.

Handed over the car to them ten min back. They will give it back in the eve.

Shall update then.

Last edited by skdking : 14th September 2012 at 11:54.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks