Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2012, 08:13   #3646
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by param22k View Post
Hi Kranti

I'm also facing shuddering/vibration from engine while accelerating in my civic. I've been told by HASS that two engine mountings have to be replaced.
I see from your signature that you a have 2009 model civic.I was under the impression that only post face-lift models have the mount issue.So it's a common problem for all the Civics in India.

I guess the design of the mount is not sturdy enough to carry the bumps of the bad Indian roads.It just not fit for Indian conditions it seems.
Old 27th August 2012, 11:52   #3647
BHPian

Urgent help needed. As you all know its raining heavily in Jaipur. Last night I got stuck in the middle of 1.5 feet water that came out of nowhere, maybe some drainage overflowed.....I kept on pressing the accelarator to not let water in the car through exaust and came out of the water, but then the engine fault light (yellow) came on and there was a lot of smoke from the exhaust. Towed the car to honda, they said that the water has entered engine oil sump and will replace the oil and then check the car again. If nothing happens than the engine will get oppened and cost 1.5 lacs plus.

The car has original sound, nothing has changed......just the exhaust pipe smoke. Please help! what might have happened? I am damn scared of losing so much of hard earned money on second hand civic.
Old 27th August 2012, 13:20   #3648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_diavolo View Post
Urgent help needed. As you all know its raining heavily in Jaipur. Last night I got stuck in the middle of 1.5 feet water that came out of nowhere, maybe some drainage overflowed.....I kept on pressing the accelarator to not let water in the car through exaust and came out of the water, but then the engine fault light (yellow) came on and there was a lot of smoke from the exhaust. Towed the car to honda, they said that the water has entered engine oil sump and will replace the oil and then check the car again. If nothing happens than the engine will get oppened and cost 1.5 lacs plus.

The car has original sound, nothing has changed......just the exhaust pipe smoke. Please help! what might have happened? I am damn scared of losing so much of hard earned money on second hand civic.
Sorry to hear this.
I don't know what will happen though.

I had an experience around 18 years back in a Contessa-classic when I had to drive in a lot of water in Madurai. I passed a lot of cars like Maruti-omni, etc stranded on the road in water. But I survived even though the Contessa was a very low slung car. I had to keep revving the engine to keep the water away from the exhaust.
Old 27th August 2012, 13:54   #3649
BANNED

@gaurav_diabolo; Steam as smoke is essentially white. However, it may be taking oil with it. I have a feeling that as the car was runninr normally you should be able to survive with an oil + filter change preceded by (maybe) a flush.
Old 27th August 2012, 16:12   #3650
BHPian

Quote:
Urgent help needed.
Some time back a vehicle of Jaggu, Honda CRV I think, met the same fate. He had to spend a fortune. Let us pray that your case is not as serious.

Please read Jaggu's thread of his CRV for pointers. You can even PM him.

Best of luck.
Old 27th August 2012, 20:44   #3651
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Sorry to hear about the incident.Make sure in case HASS comes up with a high price for the damage please please get a second opinion preferably from a good independant garage. Honda A.S.S is not known for making repairs but are good enough only at replacing parts and if they say they are going to repair stuff then it will be outsourced by them to a 3rd party and then charge you with a inflated bill.You will be better off with a independant garage preferably one with disagnostic system etc and who won't put spurious spares in your car.I am not sure but maybe you could claim insurance in this case (own damage).My advice do not trust HASS blindly if the repairs are going to be expensive(which i sincerely hope you do not have to incur).

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 27th August 2012 at 20:49.
Old 27th August 2012, 23:26   #3652
BHPian

It might be the case that water might have come inside the Oil sump due to a leaking sump gasket or through Oil breather line,

If shes sounding ok and driving ok and no expensive noises heard neither any weird behavior then you 99.99% should get away with a OIL + Filter change.
Old 28th August 2012, 22:40   #3653
BHPian

I congratulate each one of you for the perfect diagnosis! Wow, I am so glad to be part of such a nice and high-intellect community. Kudos to each one of you!

I went to Honda myself so that I am not played around with. I emphasized with the Service Manager that my car does NOT have any kind of engine trouble, so I am sure there is nothing wrong with the engine and the 2.75 lacs (next call suggested it would be 2.75 Lacs!) you are talking about is in case of engine failure. The sump had a lot of water, the filter too.....both got replaced and voila, my car was fit for road again.

Although, there was a lot of water in the cabin too, somehow seeped in, total bill came to 19XXX! which includes gear oil change, engine oil change, filter change, cleaning of something something, drying of entire inside carpet, drycleaning of seats and very strangely and for sure looting me with battery change.

I had a perfectly fine battery, how could water reach my battery, but they are adamant that battery was not fine when the car came, however the car was started in front of me with my battery.

I am thankful to god i escaped from the hands of flood and later honda too from a 3 lac bill! Thank you all once again, you guys are just amazing really. I will never take my civic out when its pouring, what started with a casual long drive with coffee, ended in night long hassle!
Old 28th August 2012, 22:50   #3654
BHPian

And yes, I am fully convinced that Honda A.S.S is out there to part me with my hard earned money. The way they talk is a reflection of their motive.

First call after rectification of water problem - Sir! your car urgently needs underbody anti-rust.....upon enquiry, worth 6500/-.

Second call - Sir, why dont you get the car teflon coated while it is here with us?

Third call - Sir, I think you need to change the rear brake pads coz it is eating up the disk.....worth 6500/-.

Fourth call - Sir, the season is not favourable, i will get your wiper blades changed too?

Fifth call - Sir, you are not regular with service and your car is at risk of damage, every 5000 kms our representative calls you, you should bring your car on the exact time.

Sixth call - Sir, battery is dead, we charged and does not work at all. I literally fought that i gave you in the perfect condition. (Rude tone this time), khuli hui hai, aap aakar dekh lo. I gave up thinking, maybe its the final nail and i am out of all this water clogging.

I am fed up of these service managers aka marketing agents of Honda and fear skipping genuine advices....and trust me car nation is even worse. What to do?

Last edited by gaurav_diavolo : 28th August 2012 at 22:52.
Old 28th August 2012, 22:57   #3655
Senior - BHPian

Ok boys. Just like my civic bbm(blackberry) group, ive created a civic whats app group for all civic owners. My number is 9833160745. Sms me ur name with handle snd ill add you guys.
This helps us for problems just incase of emergency.
Old 29th August 2012, 09:07   #3656
BANNED

Quote:
1. First call after rectification of water problem - Sir! your car urgently needs underbody anti-rust.....upon enquiry, worth 6500/-.

2. Second call - Sir, why dont you get the car teflon coated while it is here with us?

3. Third call - Sir, I think you need to change the rear brake pads coz it is eating up the disk.....worth 6500/-.

4. Fourth call - Sir, the season is not favourable, i will get your wiper blades changed too?

5. Fifth call - Sir, you are not regular with service and your car is at risk of damage, every 5000 kms our representative calls you, you should bring your car on the exact time.

6. Sixth call - Sir, battery is dead, we charged and does not work at all. I literally fought that i gave you in the perfect condition. (Rude tone this time), khuli hui hai, aap aakar dekh lo. I gave up thinking, maybe its the final nail and i am out of all this water clogging.
1. No
2. No
3. Check, before leaping. Front pads go much before the rear.
4. Check if they are over three years old, hard, or damaged. At 2 years plus a good inspection is a must. The rubbers are only about Rs.850 each.
5.I stick to six months and 10,000km. I may even go to 12 months with the same interval.
6. Get the battery checked outside. If the Sp Gr is Ok then forget it.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2012, 10:46   #3657
BHPian

I have been recently noticing a peculiar sound, when I cold start the car after an overnight halt or a halt of more than 7-8 hours. It's a shuddering sound as if the hand brake release is not proper. It goes away as soon as the car rolls a few meters and is never there after that during the drive. What is peculiar is that the sound is only there if the car has had a fairly longish halt. I had a chat with a service advisor at Arya Honda and he suggested it could be the dreaded engine mount issue. I am not sure I agree with him cause the other symptoms of this issue which i have read on this forum are all absent. Would appreciate any insights I can get in this issue.

Thanks in advance.
Arun Venugopal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2012, 20:52   #3658
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun Venugopal View Post
I have been recently noticing a peculiar sound, when I cold start the car after an overnight halt ...Would appreciate any insights I can get in this issue.

Thanks in advance.
During these halts is the handbrake engaged? If so then it's pretty normal to hear a thud/dragging sound as the rear brakes due to moisture etc remain locked and engaged even after you lower the hand brake.The sound you hear is the sound of the brakes getting freed up once the car starts moving.If the handbrake is not engaged then it could be something which would be needed to be looked into.
Old 30th August 2012, 21:22   #3659
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar

During these halts is the handbrake engaged? If so then it's pretty normal to hear a thud/dragging sound as the rear brakes due to moisture etc remain locked and engaged even after you lower the hand brake.The sound you hear is the sound of the brakes getting freed up once the car starts moving.If the handbrake is not engaged then it could be something which would be needed to be looked into.
During the longish halts the handbrake is always engaged. I have not tried overnight parking without the handbrake engaged, will try that. Let's see if the sound is absent then.

Thanks Sumeet.
Old 30th August 2012, 22:46   #3660
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
6. Get the battery checked outside. If the Sp Gr is Ok then forget it.
Voila! Picked up battery from Honda (the service manager sarcastically said 'Aap aajao aapke saamne khol dein agar bharosa na ho to'). The battery checked from a known electrician revealed terminal damage, which cannot happen overnight with car kept in honda (hence the motives of people involved are pretty clear). I do not want to directly go and accuse honda now, enough of hassles already in the past 4 days since the water clogging incident and aftermath, need peace. Maybe the person is lucky that me and a few ever-willing-to-fight-for-the-right friends are not in a mood to raise hell on him and his stuff.

The battery guy said it will be repaired by tomorrow. Charges - Rs. 100/-

No one is to be trusted in the modern world.....sadly. Guess, sensibilities will prevail, I will quietly take the battery back to Honda, get it fitted and bring back my car home, it had the toughest time of its ownership, so did i.

Last edited by gaurav_diavolo : 30th August 2012 at 22:54.

Most Viewed