Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2012, 23:23   #3781
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
There are no jerks otherwise. It's just a violent one when the car is cold. Or has been in P on an incline.
By any chance, were you using hand brakes for parking?
Had experienced this on morning starts, if after washing the previous day, the hand brake is engaged and parked overnight.
sarathlal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2012, 23:24   #3782
Senior - BHPian

Yes, this happens after the handbrake is released. Even when parked on inclines for a few minutes sometimes.
Old 4th October 2012, 23:30   #3783
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, this happens after the handbrake is released. Even when parked on inclines for a few minutes sometimes.
Oh ok, then its just the hand brake easing up and the sound you hear is that metal clank.
This is normal.
Another frightening, but related, thing that we might see after a similar set up is rust on the discs. A few meter ride, and it will be gone and will not re appear until the discs are allowed to dry for itself after washing.

Couple of practical ways to verify this is;
1. With same setup, but do not use hand brakes for once and try this the next morning. If all is normal(which means, you should not be hearing that sound), then everything is indeed normal. (It is perfectly fine, not to use hand brakes. If on incline, can use physical barriers for extra support to prevent tires rolling)
2. After washing, drive the car for around 400-500 meters with brakes slightly pressed before parking it. The rust kind of thing will not come.

Last edited by sarathlal : 4th October 2012 at 23:32.
sarathlal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2012, 10:55   #3784
BHPian

Quote:
Do you usually park on a incline?

When parking on a incline first engage the handbrake and then put the vehicle in P (let it be in N /D/R/S when you engage the handbrake).
If this is not done then moving from P-R later will be a harder and jerky especially on steep inclines and it should be avoided.

Another instance when it is jerky is if you put it from N-D and almost instantly accelerate (happened some times on signals to me)

Except for above 2 instances, I dot feel any jerks.

Last edited by alto99 : 5th October 2012 at 10:59.
Old 5th October 2012, 12:29   #3785
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post
Do you usually park on a incline?

When parking on a incline first engage the handbrake and then put the vehicle in P (let it be in N /D/R/S when you engage the handbrake).
But will not this cause the hand brake to be biting the discs hard and still produce the clanking sound once released and the vehicle starts to move?

Quote:
Another instance when it is jerky is if you put it from N-D and almost instantly accelerate (happened some times on signals to me)
Correct. Infact you can hear a very small click after the selection is made. Move/accelerate only after that. Its almost instantaneous, so needn't wait too much.
Old 5th October 2012, 13:00   #3786
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
But will not this cause the hand brake to be biting the discs hard and still produce the clanking sound once released and the vehicle starts to move?
Sorry, I chose a wrong post to reply for the above comment. Please read it in context to "hard to move from P to R" and associated jerks.

The handbrake sound (due to rust) usually occurs for me too but only after parking for > 24h. It never comes up overnight or after a few minutes as mentioned here
Quote:
Note that my car(including wheels) is washed daily.
Old 6th October 2012, 00:17   #3787
BHPian

The ABS Light came ON just when I started 400 km drive to Greater Noida from Jaipur....is it some major expense in the waiting???

I must say, the braking without ABS felt 1000% more superior and precise as the ABS used to engage itself on every tight foot braking. What fun and confident 800 km 2-way journey it was with all 4 discs working without the ABS engaging itself unnecessarily, constant run of 120-140 was breeze and confident too due to fantastic braking which i did i feel this much with ABS.

Should I leave it like that, or get ABS repaired? What can be potential cause and costs involved?

Thanks!

Last edited by gaurav_diavolo : 6th October 2012 at 00:19.
Old 6th October 2012, 09:38   #3788
BHPian

Quote:
There are no jerks otherwise. It's just a violent one when the car is cold. Or has been in P on an incline.

I am sure it was changed at the service centre and is very healthy. But I can just drain it and get it replaced asap. Which synthetic oil is good for the AT box??

I am sure it's something to do with the interlock. Will investigate this soon..
While my gut would have earlier told me that there is something wrong with the A/T oil as well, I now have to point out that this could be a problem with your engine mount. I faced similar issues before I got my mount replaced. See if there is any gap between the engine and the mount. Also, you may notice the jerking and sound increase soon. Sorry!
Old 6th October 2012, 09:58   #3789
BANNED

I have a feeling that your ABS was with some bug. I could not get the ABS to come on even when doing a TD of the Civic (or the Altis). ABS only triggers when there is some slipping (ie unacceptable differential in wheel rotation rates).

Please do get the ABS attended to pronto.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2012, 12:26   #3790
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I have a feeling that your ABS was with some bug. I could not get the ABS to come on even when doing a TD of the Civic (or the Altis). ABS only triggers when there is some slipping (ie unacceptable differential in wheel rotation rates).

Please do get the ABS attended to pronto.
I notice this several times while braking firmly over gravel/ braking over potholes especially when the wheel loses contact momentarily. So I doubt if that is a bug as it does not come on otherwise.
Old 6th October 2012, 13:21   #3791
BHPian

Quote:
The jerk doesn't occur while the car is in motion. ONLY when I shift from P to R. The whole car shudders for that second and a loud noise is heard. As if the clutch was not fully depressed or the gear is being forcibly changed.
Doctor, the shudder SHOULDN'T be violent, not even one out of five times. It'll only get worse.

a) The first preventive measure is to get fresh ATF in. Either the Z1 or the new DW1 (Found this in Linkway) to be used.

The drain and refill needs to be done FOUR Times for the entire old ATF to be replaced. Doing it just once won't get rid of all the old fluid - the fluid still will not be pristine - worst case do it at least THRICE.

The above should solve the issue.

b) I also use Lubegard ATF additive and am extremely happy. Pretty popular and the only additive which is OEM approved. Used this only post a lot of R&D in bobistheoilguy.com and driveaccord.net

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...-additive.html

A new replacement trans is a pain. The labour charge is huge and the downtime is high. Better safe than sorry.

Last edited by d_himan : 6th October 2012 at 13:24.
Old 6th October 2012, 13:43   #3792
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I have a feeling that your ABS was with some bug
What is the chief cause for this Sir. My Alignment, balancing, tyres, brakes were in good shape. The ABS light is always ON.

Quote:
I notice this several times while braking firmly over gravel/ braking over potholes especially when the wheel loses contact momentarily. So I doubt if that is a bug as it does not come on otherwise.
Ditto! And its not confidence inspiring. Gets very annoying and scary too sometimes. My ABS light does not come momentarily, it now stays ON.
Old 7th October 2012, 15:55   #3793
BHPian

my 2006 1.8 smt jerks very slightly when crossing 2.2k rpm in any gear. Is this normal?
Old 7th October 2012, 16:25   #3794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumargandharva
my 2006 1.8 smt jerks very slightly when crossing 2.2k rpm in any gear. Is this normal?
No this is not normal mate. imo, It could be due to two reasons - (a) worn out clutch plates... how many kms have you crossed and when was the last time you overhauled the clutch? (b) Transmission or drive train problem. Please get it reported and checked in an authorized service centre.
Old 7th October 2012, 16:34   #3795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99

Sir, I feel you probably are mistaking traction control with ABS. Braking over gravel or other slippery surfaces does result in a wheel spin but ABS does not totally aid you with that. ABS only helps in not locking your wheels so you lose steering control. A good way to check ABS being functional is when panic braking you should feel pulsation in your pedal. If that happens your ABS is doing it's job, I think.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks