Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2012, 11:02   #3871
BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
My Civic just completed her 45K servicing at Whitefield Honda (Bangalore).

However, during my last weekend drive to Madras, I noticed that after about 1.5 hours of AC use, there was practically nothing coming out of the AC vents even if the setting is set at 'Lo' (T < 18 deg. C).

When I switch OFF the AC for about 15 minutes, and start it again, it works perfectly well for the next 90 minutes or so, before again giving nothing out of the AC vents.
One reason could be that due to high humidity (& rains), the A/C cooling coil could be icing up, i.e build up of ice due to the moisture that condenses on the cooling coil. Once you switch it off, the ice melts and it works till the ice builds up again.
Try a higher temperature setting (24-25 degrees), with the blower at a higher speed. Clogged evaporator coil could be the culprit, or a faulty thermostat that does not cut off the compressor leading to intense cooling and icing.

regarding the "grrrr" noise that come from near the steering for about 3 seconds once the car is switched off, I had observed it in both the Civics that I had owned
VineetG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2012, 19:11   #3872
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Got back from a drive and checked under the carpet.Found some wetness again but the amount has reduced.So the problem persists unfortunately but to a lesser extent.As per Joe there could be some corrosion due to which the water is forming but since Joe said that it won't cause problems for the a/c i think i may overlook the same.
Sumeet,
I doubt if the water seepage could be from the AC. Ask your mechanic to check the firewall in the front passenger foot well. Due to rusting there would be a minor crack that would let the water in.

More importantly check the area just below the wipers in the engine compartment. Remove the plastic shroud and ensure the cowl top area is clear. Usually dirt, leaves, twigs get collected over time and clog the water drainage hole. This causes rusting of the entire section and if not taken care of at the right time could let in the firewall rusting.

Hope this is not the case in your car. Curing this is a big hassle...

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 8th November 2012 at 19:16.
hiren.mistry is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th November 2012, 18:22   #3873
Senior - BHPian

I finally got the fuel strainer replaced on my Civic.It cost me 4247 for the strainer only.If anyone wants to put off replacing the strainer i suggest take a look at the pics below.The car's odo is now at 40200 kms and just look at the amount of muck.

Meanwhile my rotten luck with the Civic continues as when i came back home i found my original key(with remote) has stopped working and i am forced to use the duplicate and the original in the same key chain.
will post details in my Car's thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-s_ring1.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-s_ring2.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-sr1.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-photo0551.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-photo0552.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-photo0554.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-photo0555.jpg  

sumeethaldankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th November 2012, 20:30   #3874
BHPian

Dear Sumeet,
I feel sorry for you....the Civic has been one expensive ride for you to maintain. Hope hereon it doesnt bother you this much, I can understand how it is ruining your pre-owned yet good-value-buy experience!

I have some Bumper Jinx to my Civic....my Civic has been bumped from behind record 7 times till now and I being a fanatic got it fixed each time. Rest, it has been an OK guzzler as planned before buying a D-segment car.
gaurav_diavolo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2012, 23:23   #3875
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_diavolo View Post
I have some Bumper Jinx to my Civic....my Civic has been bumped from behind record 7 times till now and I being a fanatic got it fixed each time. Rest, it has been an OK guzzler as planned before buying a D-segment car.
Good lord 7 times.Was your car hit while at stationery or while stopping at red light.You can always keep a watch on what the guy at the back is doing in the rear view mirror.If he is too close then and you have to stop best is to come to a rolling stop to avoid the guy from rear ending.
Old 12th November 2012, 09:53   #3876
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
I am also curious to know about this issue. Please update us once you have been to the HASS.

I faced it at the end of a BLR-CHN run a couple of weeks ago. The car had been running continuously for about 2.5 hrs with AC (Chittoor-Chennai). Then the AC seemed to give up. But, we had reached home by then, and I just let it go. It works flawlessly after that during shorter runs, and have not got an opportunity to go on a long run again.

Maybe there is some sort of overload controller, which switches off the AC compressor when overloaded (though I wouldn't consider a 2.5 hrs run with AC fully on as overload condition) ???
I sent my Civic to Whitefield Honda on Friday morning. Till Friday evening, the HASS SE told me that he is unable to find the cause.

On Saturday morning, I went to the HASS in person to meet the SE. He mentioned that the AC might require an overhaul - and that he will check the evaporator, fan and relay; and he mentioned that it will take another three days to get the car back
Tempelhof is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2012, 13:18   #3877
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Meanwhile my rotten luck with the Civic continues as when i came back home i found my original key(with remote) has stopped working and i am forced to use the duplicate and the original in the same key chain.
will post details in my Car's thread.
I can feel your pain buddy. I'm sorry haven't been following the thread regularly, so don't quite know if your key issue is a recurring problem.
I guess the battery might have died on you. Did you try getting it changed to check?

Regards
Old 12th November 2012, 13:44   #3878
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I sent my Civic to Whitefield Honda on Friday morning. Till Friday evening, the HASS SE told me that he is unable to find the cause.

On Saturday morning, I went to the HASS in person to meet the SE. He mentioned that the AC might require an overhaul - and that he will check the evaporator, fan and relay; and he mentioned that it will take another three days to get the car back
uh..oh..hope this does not mean an expensive repair. Did he mention why they need 3 days to do this job?
Old 12th November 2012, 13:50   #3879
Senior - BHPian

If AC works on short runs, but generally gives up on longer runs, it is usually the AC relay that is the problem - it overheats and refuses to work. Just change the relay and all will be fine. It costs about 1200.
sandeep108 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th November 2012, 13:52   #3880
BHPian

Quote:
uh..oh..hope this does not mean an expensive repair. Did he mention why they need 3 days to do this job?
He said they need to remove the Dashboard Panel and that, that itself takes a lot of time. After that, he said he needs to check the relay, fan and the evaporator.

Not sure if any one else in this forum had similar issue...
Old 12th November 2012, 13:56   #3881
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
If AC works on short runs, but generally gives up on longer runs, it is usually the AC relay that is the problem - it overheats and refuses to work. Just change the relay and all will be fine. It costs about 1200.
Yeah, thanks. I'll come to know the exact problem, once the AC overhauling is done.
Old 12th November 2012, 13:57   #3882
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
I can feel your pain buddy. I'm sorry haven't been following the thread regularly, so don't quite know if your key issue is a recurring problem.
I guess the battery might have died on you. Did you try getting it changed to check?

Regards
The remotes fine , the key goes in but does not turn.My mechanic is of the verdict that the key might need replacement.Even i can make out the grooves and edges have worn out.New key with remote will cost 4k which i would put off for now and do it later on.The spare key works effortlessly so won't be bothering changing immediately.
Old 12th November 2012, 14:02   #3883
BHPian

Quote:
Did he mention why they need 3 days to do this job?
That (the time duration) is another problem - which I think those who give their vehicle to Whitefield Honda should take care.

On Friday morning at 0830, I handed over the car to the HASS driver. the SE called me back at about 1000 to tell me that he needs to investigate the matter before anything could be told. No call from him the whole of Friday.

On Saturday, I happen to go that side and I went to the HASS at about 1230 in the afternoon. To my surprise, my car was lying outside - I had expected it to be inside the Workshop undergoing some tests. On checking with the SE, the car was hurriedly brought inside the Workshop, he made a few calls, and then told me that the AC needs a overhaul and that it'd take about three working days to complete that.

Which means, the whole of Friday and saturday - they had not even started to do / investigate anything....
Old 12th November 2012, 14:09   #3884
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That (the time duration) is another problem - which I think those who give their vehicle to Whitefield Honda should take care.

On Friday morning at 0830, I handed over the car to the HASS driver. the SE called me back at about 1000 to tell me that he needs to investigate the matter before anything could be told. No call from him the whole of Friday.

On Saturday, I happen to go that side and I went to the HASS at about 1230 in the afternoon. To my surprise, my car was lying outside - I had expected it to be inside the Workshop undergoing some tests. On checking with the SE, the car was hurriedly brought inside the Workshop, he made a few calls, and then told me that the AC needs a overhaul and that it'd take about three working days to complete that.

Which means, the whole of Friday and saturday - they had not even started to do / investigate anything....
HASS sometimes outsource work to other workshops usually items which need to repaired rather than replaced.If i were you i would go to a good independant garage and get the work done as it will work out a lot cheaper.
Old 12th November 2012, 14:21   #3885
BHPian

Quote:
HASS sometimes outsource work to other workshops usually items which need to repaired rather than replaced.If i were you i would go to a good independant garage and get the work done as it will work out a lot cheaper.
I don't mind going to an independent Workshop, as long as some one from Team-BHP can recommend a very good one for my Civic (Bangalore, preferably around Whitefield).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks