Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2012, 11:50   #3901
BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
The current update is that the evaporator is cleaned and that a AC gas leak is observed; will get back the car (hopefully) tomorrow (Thursday)...only then I'll know the exact cause and remedy.
Current update on the AC issue:
  • Evaporator Cleaned
  • Gas refilled
  • Relay replaced

But, this morning, when I went to collect my car at Whitefield Honda, I noticed that there is a new dent in the front bumper, which was NOT present when I gave the car to them last week

This is the second time Whitefield Honda has inflicted injury on my car in their rathole premises.

I have given the car back to them, saying that they have to set it right before I can take delivery of the car. They have asked me to come again this evening.

So, folks, please make sure you clearly document what dents you already have and what dents are new (before you collect you car back from the HASS).
Tempelhof is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2012, 13:24   #3902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek5870 View Post
Agree with you Sumeet. Have given strict instructions to HASS to order just the lock rather than replace the full assembly. They have promised to procure the part by Saturday, the cost that they have mentioned is approximately Rs. 200, hence I ordered it from HASS.

Will keep you all posted after getting it fixed.
Please do update this as i have the same problem in the center armrest and the HASS is wanting to change the assembly. Can you pls share the part no.? Which is you HASS?
Old 16th November 2012, 22:07   #3903
Senior - BHPian

Guys for a manual Civic what is the frequency for change in the transmission fluid?
Old 16th November 2012, 22:59   #3904
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Guys for a manual Civic what is the frequency for change in the transmission fluid?
Its 60k for both MT and AT.

[EDIT]: Adding the complete maintenance schedule from Civic user manual for reference.Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-civic.jpg

Last edited by sarathlal : 16th November 2012 at 23:16. Reason: Added the maintenance chart
sarathlal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2012, 00:06   #3905
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VineetG View Post
Please do update this as i have the same problem in the center armrest and the HASS is wanting to change the assembly. Can you pls share the part no.? Which is you HASS?
Sure Vineet, will keep you posted. Till now, did not receive a call from HASS. Will check with them tomorrow.
My HASS is Prime Honda Vaishali and I am very much satisfied with their workmanship and professionalism. Minor opportunities to cheat are prevalent with every HASS, but if we are cautious, they understand and drift away from offering us stupid things.

BTW, went to HASS yesterday and asked the SA to check the transmission mounting once again before I go for replacement. SA did a thorough check and informed me that only one side rubber has broken however the other side is intact. I questioned him whether I should change the mounting right now or I can defer this decision for some time. He advised 'Sir, you can continue for a while till the other side is also damaged and get it replaced pronto when both sides fail'. He also pointed out to me that your car is super silent as of now, so no point incurring thsi expense at the moment, to which I was happy, however, still have a doubt in my mind.

The question is, if I defer the replacement of transmission mounting till the other side rubber also gets damaged, is this postponement going to impact the transmission of the car adversely? Please advise
Old 17th November 2012, 13:15   #3906
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got back from a drive and checked under the carpet.Found some wetness again but the amount has reduced.So the problem persists unfortunately but to a lesser extent.As per Joe there could be some corrosion due to which the water is forming but since Joe said that it won't cause problems for the a/c i think i may overlook the same.
Some good news.Checked again today after a drive with the a/c on and found the carpet was dry as a bone.I guess the wetness i found previously was due to the fact that the carpet had not become completely dry.So one less thing to worry about :-).

Also i wanted to ask you guys a question regarding Civic's with a manual transmission .The Civic's 4th gear is terrific in traffic where the speeds vary from 30-70kmph and i find it very convenient to keep the car in the same gear when in city driving conditions.But as per driving guidelines for better FE it is said that one must upshift asap.My question is which will give better FE, driving in 4th gear with speeds varying from 30-65 or upshift to 5th asap and keep alternating between 5 and 4 gear as traffic permits.

thanks all.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 17th November 2012 at 13:18.
Old 17th November 2012, 13:22   #3907
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Also i wanted to ask you guys a question regarding Civic's with a manual transmission .The Civic's 4th gear is terrific in traffic where the speeds vary from 30-70kmph and i find it very convenient to keep the car in the same gear when in city driving conditions.But as per driving guidelines for better FE it is said that one must upshift asap.My question is which will give better FE, driving in 4th gear with speeds varying from 30-65 or upshift to 5th asap and keep alternating between 5 and 4 gear as traffic permits.

thanks all.
At 30 in 4th especially in the Civic, you are lugging the engine. I'd suggest stay in 3rd at that speed, shift to 4th around 45-50 at the earliest and upto 5th not below 55. To answer your questions I doubt you will see a noticeable change in FE whether you leave it in 4th or start using 5th. It all depends on how long you maintain say 60-65 and keep it in 5th.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2012, 14:09   #3908
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Some good news.Checked again today after a drive with the a/c on and found the carpet was dry as a bone.I guess the wetness i found previously was due to the fact that the carpet had not become completely dry.So one less thing to worry about :-).

thanks all.
First option to determine the gear position is the Engine sound.
Since in Civic, its very difficult to hear the engine sound inside the cabin, you can check on the tachometer than the speedometer for determining the gear position.

Since the R18A engine has its VTech tuned for economy in the 1500-3000 rpm, its in that range, for any gear, the engine is turning in the most efficient way.
sarathlal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2012, 14:20   #3909
BHPian

Recently have been noticing some resistance while downshifting to 1st gear at times. This happens infrequently and in such cases if I just let it come back to neutral and again shift it falls properly. Tried clutch bleeding, that has not helped. Would appreciate any input on why this may be happening. Thanks in advance.
Old 18th November 2012, 11:11   #3910
Senior - BHPian

@Arun is there any obstruction while pressing the clutch pedal ? Make sure the clutch gets fully depressed.Sometimes we are not able to fully press the clutch pedal due to obstructions by mats etc.Also check the condition of the transmission oil? May be it's due for a change.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2012, 11:56   #3911
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar
@Arun is there any obstruction while pressing the clutch pedal ? Make sure the clutch gets fully depressed.Sometimes we are not able to fully press the clutch pedal due to obstructions by mats etc.Also check the condition of the transmission oil? May be it's due for a change.
Don't think clutch obstruction is an issue as the difficulty is only when downshifting to 1st, otherwise no issues whatsoever. Will check anyways. Car has only run 34k, could transmission oil be due so early. If I remember correctly its due for a change at 60k or thereabouts.
Old 18th November 2012, 12:17   #3912
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun Venugopal View Post
Don't think clutch obstruction is an issue as the difficulty is only when downshifting to 1st, otherwise no issues whatsoever. Will check anyways. Car has only run 34k, could transmission oil be due so early. If I remember correctly its due for a change at 60k or thereabouts.
sarathlal has posted a image which shows the replacement of the tranny oil which seems to be in 36months or 60K kms.Quite frankly even i don't know if my car's engine oil has been changed or not but i plan to get it atleast inspected during the next service.

Even i sometimes have difficulty in enaging the 1st gear but happens rarely.It's best to get the condition of the oil inspected.
Old 18th November 2012, 20:28   #3913

Last week I had driven to Daman from Mumbai. My civic (now done 112,000 km) would not start in the morning though battery and starter sounded fine. Fortunately Dream Honda (Vapi) sent a service vehicle. They diagnosed the problem as fuel pump not working - from what I could see, the pump when connected directly was not functioning. They had no spare (later learnt that Apex Honda charges about Rs. 20,000 for it) so asked the mechanic to try and fix it. He then "tapped" the fuel pump firmly and it started working. All-in cost was Rs.1,200. Car has since travelled 400 km and seems fine. Is there a less expensive solution for a longer-term fix/replacement to fuel pump.
Old 19th November 2012, 09:06   #3914
BANNED

If it is a one off then fine, else once they stick they may do so again. You may be able to get a fuel pump through a reputed parts dealer for about 50-60% of the price.
Old 19th November 2012, 09:11   #3915
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MumbaiBoy View Post
Last week I had driven to Daman from Mumbai. My civic (now done 112,000 km) would not start in the morning though battery and starter sounded fine. Fortunately Dream Honda (Vapi) sent a service vehicle. They diagnosed the problem as fuel pump not working - from what I could see, the pump when connected directly was not functioning. They had no spare (later learnt that Apex Honda charges about Rs. 20,000 for it) so asked the mechanic to try and fix it. He then "tapped" the fuel pump firmly and it started working. All-in cost was Rs.1,200. Car has since travelled 400 km and seems fine. Is there a less expensive solution for a longer-term fix/replacement to fuel pump.
I am not sure about the solution to your problem but would like to know a few things.

1- Was the fuel filter changed every 40K kms.
(please refer to below link)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2958993

2- Do you drive the car often with the fuel level near reserve ie with the yellow lowfuel warning lamp on as this can cause dirt etc to get in the fuel pump causing it tofail/malfunction.

Best you let a independant garage check it out for you as any HASS would only insist on replacing the fuel pump.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks