Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2012, 11:45   #3841
BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

thanks a lot everyone! My friend bought the set of four for 2800/-, i.e. 700 each however, I would stick with new one's as you all are right, no compromise with safety. I test drove the car although, and it drove just fine.

But i think I will get to enjoy the next 15-20k kms in supreme comfort in brand new tyres.

One quick question, my Cibbic has done 75k kms with no suspension work, but now i experience slight deterioration in ride. I am blaming hardness of tyre rubber for it. Usually when does suspension ask for work - what type of work and what costs involved?
Old 26th October 2012, 12:59   #3842
BHPian

This week I sent my 2008 model Civic MT to Whitefield Honda for a 45000 kms servicing.

I had indicated that the engine mount needs to be checked, as I was experiencing very mild shuddering while I take reverse - not always, but sometimes.

A few hours later, the Service Engineer called me and said that the engine mount has to be replaced. When I enquired the cost he said that it would cost about Rs. 8000/---

I mentioned to him that I read in Team-BHP columns that for certain 2008 Civic models, this is being replaced free of cost. (My car has our stickers very prominently displayed). He said he'd check and get back to me. He never got back.

Today I got my car back, with engine mounts replaced (that's what the Invoice says), but nothing was charged to me.
Tempelhof is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2012, 17:40   #3843
BHPian

1,15,000 kms service over, odo is now at 1,16,400 kms.

The front-brake-pads had done 75,800 kms and had to be replaced.
The front-brake-disks too were replaced. (Both pads & disks were replaced earlier at 40K).

I could have done more with the disks (since it is very expensive) but for safety reasons for the next 70K (or about another three/four years) I had them changed.

Costs (inc.tax):
Pads -Rs.6,616
Disks - Rs.6,192
Labour for Pads & Disks - Rs.1,180

So for the Front brakes (routine wear & tear items) alone I spent a whopping Rs.13,988 .

1,15,000 kms Service cost - Rs.955

So Total was: Rs,14,943.

Car is smooth as usual.

Next 1,20,000 kms service will be a major one.

P.S
Can someone confirm if the costs are the same everywhere? (only the taxes will vary?)

Last edited by manim : 26th October 2012 at 17:45.
manim is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th October 2012, 14:57   #3844
Senior - BHPian

Another update:
Got the front brake pads changed and the discs skimmed at a lathe yesterday.
The braking was good before, but my mechanic had a look at the discs and said that there was some life left in the pads but lines were forming on the discs due to some metallic object, probably. So we got the discs skimmed and I went and picked up a set of front brake pads.
http://roulunds-braking.eu/

ANOTHER REVELATION for all Honda Civic owners guys.
FRONT BRAKE PADS FOR Rs. 1150 ONLY!! Roulunds Braking is a European company with manufacturing facilities in North India (Haryana)
The packing was very good and the brake pads looked nice, heavy and solid.
I bought a set and my mechanic installed them.
BELIEVE ME, the braking performance has been upped in a large way. I never thought I needed better braking than what I previously had, but these pads and the newly skimmed discs are doing a fabulous job at bleeding speed. Bite has gone up like crazy and my pedal feel and travel have also improved tremendously. I can actually stomp on the pedal and expect instantaneous response.

I am now definitely going in for the Roulunds rear Brake pads which cost only Rs. 700 for the set.
The dealer who I purchased these pads from says Nissin pads in the market are 80% fakes, and rebadged Delhi products being sold to unsuspecting buyers. Why spend 6.5 k on brake pads when you can get a set that costs 1/6th of that?? Since they are so cheap, you have the luxury of changing them at shorter intervals (maybe half of original pads) and STILL save over half over the original ones, AND having the luxury of replacing pads early and getting the original bite back.

As I said, WIN-WIN. This one is another win-win situation guys.

Last edited by frankmehta : 27th October 2012 at 15:00.
frankmehta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th October 2012, 15:23   #3845
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Another update:
ANOTHER REVELATION for all Honda Civic owners guys.
FRONT BRAKE PADS FOR Rs. 1150 ONLY!! Roulunds Braking is a European company with manufacturing facilities in North India (Haryana)
The packing was very good and the brake pads looked nice, heavy and solid.
I bought a set and my mechanic installed them.
BELIEVE ME, the braking performance has been upped in a large way. I never thought I needed better braking than what I previously had, but these pads and the newly skimmed discs are doing a fabulous job at bleeding speed. Bite has gone up like crazy and my pedal feel and travel have also improved tremendously. I can actually stomp on the pedal and expect instantaneous response.

I am now definitely going in for the Roulunds rear Brake pads which cost only Rs. 700 for the set.
hi frank
mind sharing the details of the dealer where you purchased these?
thanks
Ameet.
Old 27th October 2012, 15:27   #3846
Senior - BHPian

Got these from a dealer in Mumbai. Auto Allied at Opera House. Not AUTO AND ALLIED, but just auto allied on the first floor.

BTW I paid Rs. 600 as labour, and 400 for brake disc skimming.

@Manim: This total of Rs. 2150 is in stark contrast to what you have paid. I feel we Honda owners end up paying a lot more than we should in trying to get 'genuine' stuff sometimes. Honda fleeces it's customers on a regular basis. I shudder to think whether they even pay the taxes that adds up to 20% of the part costs.

Last edited by frankmehta : 27th October 2012 at 15:31.
frankmehta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2012, 07:30   #3847
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,

I am having a peculiar problem with my Civic.( i am not even sure if it can be called a problem).After a longish drive especially with the a/c on i have noticed water droplets getting formed on the lower side of the passenger carpet area.The mentioned space gets kind of wet but only on the lower region and the water does flow or something on the upper side.

Is this normal for the lower carpet area to be wet after a drive ? I haven't noticed the driver side area but will take a look today and see if i can find similiar wetness.

thanks
Old 28th October 2012, 09:06   #3848
BANNED

This is condensate, and maybe the drain is damaged or choked.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2012, 18:54   #3849
Senior - BHPian

Hi, Request to advice on the IDV to keep, insurance company and the reasonable premium for comprehensive package.
The car is Dec 2010 VAT, clocked 20k.
Old 30th October 2012, 19:55   #3850
BHPian

I some days ago had rat entry into my dash of 2010 Civic VMT. The A.S.S had removed the dash and added a mesh alongwith taping some wires which the rat had nibbled.

Now I am hearing some sound coming from the dashboard when I have stopped after a drive and about to turn the engine off. Its like the sound which you get, when you rub two things against each other.

Anyone has an idea what this could be ?
Old 30th October 2012, 21:26   #3851
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Hi, Request to advice on the IDV to keep, insurance company and the reasonable premium for comprehensive package.
The car is Dec 2010 VAT, clocked 20k.
Mine is a 2010 VAT as well.I renewed this month from Bajaj Allianz for INR 15794 for an IDV of 11.88 Lakhs.
ramanak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2012, 22:15   #3852
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanak View Post
Mine is a 2010 VAT as well.I renewed this month from Bajaj Allianz for INR 15794 for an IDV of 11.88 Lakhs.
Thanks, can you please let know the NCB claimed also?
My another doubt is, I have NCB 50% on my alto. Can i transfer that to Civic?
Is there anything like, NCB can be claimed on only one car?
Old 31st October 2012, 23:17   #3853
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, can you please let know the NCB claimed also?
My another doubt is, I have NCB 50% on my alto. Can I transfer that to Civic?
NCB was 25%.I am not sure regarding transfer of NCB, You could check this with them directly.
ramanak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2012, 14:39   #3854
BHPian

Quote:
My another doubt is, I have NCB 50% on my alto. Can i transfer that to Civic?
NCB can be transferred when you buy new car (means new insurance). I am not sure whether you can interchange NCBs between two insurance you have (if that is your question).

If you are buying new insurance for Civic, your Alto's NCB can be transferred. Ofcourse, Alto's insurance will restart with 0% NCB.

Your NCB will accrue as you renew the policy without claims. It will accrue with each vehicle policy independently.

Last edited by SafeSteer : 1st November 2012 at 14:53.
SafeSteer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2012, 16:11   #3855
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeSteer View Post
If you are buying new insurance for Civic, your Alto's NCB can be transferred. Ofcourse, Alto's insurance will restart with 0% NCB.
I had by Accent with New India and transferred to Royal Sundaram for the Civic. Ditto for the Santro to Brio. In fact I have reduced the Santro to Act Only prior to selling it.

They try and wriggle out of the voluntary excess clause, making all sorts of lame excuses. I have 7500 each on both (reduces premium by 2000) along with 50% NCB.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks