Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2012, 16:46   #3796
BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cars_crazy View Post
No this is not normal mate. imo, It could be due to two reasons - (a) worn out clutch plates... how many kms have you crossed and when was the last time you overhauled the clutch? (b) Transmission or drive train problem. Please get it reported and checked in an authorized service centre.
The clutch was replaced at 42k kms. Currently the car has done 56k kms.
Old 7th October 2012, 17:10   #3797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumargandharva

The clutch was replaced at 42k kms. Currently the car has done 56k kms.
Hmmmm. I thinks 42 k kms is a bit early for replacing your clutch mate. Looks like premature wear to me. Do you drive or is it your chauffeur? Could be that it's a case of riding the clutch inadvertently. or may be the clutch is not fully disengaged before shifting? When the part was replaced did your service personnel check for drive train wear? Do you also feel the gear lever jerk when this happens?
Old 7th October 2012, 17:35   #3798
BHPian

Quote:
Hmmmm. I thinks 42 k kms is a bit early for replacing your clutch mate. Looks like premature wear to me. Do you drive or is it your chauffeur? Could be that it's a case of riding the clutch inadvertently. or may be the clutch is not fully disengaged before shifting? When the part was replaced did your service personnel check for drive train wear? Do you also feel the gear lever jerk when this happens?
The car was bought at 38k from a lady driver. The clutch was very hard. During stage 1 mods, Phil (the tuner) suggested to replace the clutch.
After that only I drive my car. I will get it checked at Honda SVC. Gear lever doesn't jerks when this happens. The car breathes for a mili sec with a faint jerk once it crosses 2.2k after it gallops speed like anything.
Old 7th October 2012, 17:43   #3799
BHPian

Quote:

The car was bought at 38k from a lady driver. The clutch was very hard. During stage 1 mods, Phil (the tuner) suggested to replace the clutch.
After that only I drive my car. I will get it checked at Honda SVC. Gear lever doesn't jerks when this happens. The car breathes for a mili sec with a faint jerk once it crosses 2.2k after it gallops speed like anything.
Oh OK. Makes more sense now. Your tuner may have suggested that so your car can take more torque. Have you installed a Turbo by any chance? Could be possible it's a large one which spools up at 2+ rpm. Nevertheless makes sense to get it checked by your service centre guy. Or the tuner himself. If it's a Turbo thing try a smaller one that kicks in much earlier, may be?
Old 7th October 2012, 17:47   #3800
BHPian

The tuner is missing and has become unprofessional off late. No turbo charging as of now. Yes, the behaviour is similar to that of a spooling turbo.
Old 7th October 2012, 17:54   #3801
BHPian

Quote:
The tuner is missing and has become unprofessional off late. No turbo charging as of now. Yes, the behaviour is similar to that of a spooling turbo.
Oh dear these sort of tuners are sure a pain! OK. If there exists no turbocharger then please have your ecu mappings checked at your regular service centre.. That should reveal any anomalies.
Old 7th October 2012, 20:39   #3802
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumargandharva View Post
my 2006 1.8 smt jerks very slightly when crossing 2.2k rpm in any gear. Is this normal?
I used to have similar jerks but at > 3K rpm last year.Possible reasons could be injector clogging maybe due to bad fuel etc.Somehow my problem went after i gave the car for a service.When was the fuel filter changed ?
Old 7th October 2012, 21:55   #3803
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
I used to have similar jerks but at > 3K rpm last year.Possible reasons could be injector clogging maybe due to bad fuel etc.Somehow my problem went after i gave the car for a service.When was the fuel filter changed ?
Fuel filter was never changed since the car is in my possession.
Old 7th October 2012, 22:22   #3804
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fuel filter was never changed since the car is in my possession.
The fuel filter needs to be changed at every 40K.If possible find out if same was changed by previous owner.A clogged fuel filter can cause dirt etc to reach the injectors.Try to get the car inspected by HASS.if the fuel filter needs to be changed then be prepared to pay a bomb as it costs 3-4K. As a note i am still on the factory fitted filter but the jerk problem got solved after a proper service from HASS.May be all your car needs could be a injector cleaning.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2012, 22:27   #3805
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
The fuel filter needs to be changed at every 40K.If possible find out if same was changed by previous owner.A clogged fuel filter can cause dirt etc to reach the injectors.Try to get the car inspected by HASS.if the fuel filter needs to be changed then be prepared to pay a bomb as it costs 3-4K. As a note i am still on the factory fitted filter but the jerk problem got solved after a proper service from HASS.May be all your car needs could be a injector cleaning.
Thanks. Will get the car checked tomorrow.
Old 8th October 2012, 17:12   #3806
dot
Senior - BHPian

Damn, my car has now developed the infamous engine mount issue.

Noticed a major vibration when started in cold condition. The vibrations comes in P and R and little bit in N, but not in D. Reread all posts in this and other forums. Checked the gap between the mount lip and the rubber bush. The lip of the mount is resting on the bush!!

Will try to replace the mount as soon as possible.
Old 8th October 2012, 18:06   #3807
BHPian

Quote:
Sir, I feel you probably are mistaking traction control with ABS. Braking over gravel or other slippery surfaces does result in a wheel spin but ABS does not totally aid you with that. ABS only helps in not locking your wheels so you lose steering control. A good way to check ABS being functional is when panic braking you should feel pulsation in your pedal. If that happens your ABS is doing it's job, I think.
Traction control in civic?
It is ABS where it tries to unlock the wheels while braking on gravel/ over potholes (which again has some gravel around it) and wheels tries to lock as they loose grip over these surfaces. And yes I am saying this after experiencing pulsations on the pedal.
Old 8th October 2012, 18:34   #3808
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Damn, my car has now developed the infamous engine mount issue.
Oh crap .. how many kms on the ODO? While I keep hoping it does not happen in mine (27K kms), I sometimes feel I'd be glad if it happens within warranty period. At least there is some chance of a replacement then.
Old 8th October 2012, 18:39   #3809
BHPian

Quote:
Exactly what I had in my Civic for almost 6 months! It felt as if car takes a second to breathe and then runs....the response was not spontaneous like it was in the new car. Correct me if that's not the problem.

Got Injector cleaning done. No relief.
Got Clutch checked. No relief.
Got Fuel, Air and Oil filter changed. No relief.

The culprit ...... Spark plugs!! Get your spark plugs checked, they might have gone weak. My car came out of this problem instantly upon the plug change, two of them had carbon and were giving weaker spark, resulting in half a second stoppage when you push the accelerator. Hope this helps.
gaurav_diavolo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2012, 19:29   #3810
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99
Traction control in civic?
It is ABS where it tries to unlock the wheels while braking on gravel/ over potholes (which again has some gravel around it) and wheels tries to lock as they loose grip over these surfaces. And yes I am saying this after experiencing pulsations on the pedal.
yes am aware traction control is not there in the civic. When I read your message I understood it to be a wheel spin issue over gravel or slippery surface. You mentioned you feel wheel loses contact. If you are referring to wheel locks and lack of steering control then I guess I probably misunderstood your message.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks