Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2012, 21:17   #3811
BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Damn, my car has now developed the infamous engine mount issue.

Noticed a major vibration when started in cold condition. The vibrations comes in P and R and little bit in N, but not in D. Reread all posts in this and other forums. Checked the gap between the mount lip and the rubber bush. The lip of the mount is resting on the bush!!

Will try to replace the mount as soon as possible.
Hi Abhijit,

Try to get it replaced free of cost.

I was lucky to get it changed totally free last month in my Sep 2007 VMT.

Pl do qoute my case if required.
skdking is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2012, 21:26   #3812
BHPian

My car got drenched in water about a month ago. I park my car in sun on my porch with windows rolled down and gates open for the last one month but still the foul smell is not going, although reducing very very very slowly.

Air fresheners is not helping, they give only temporary relief....and next time when I sit, its again foul smell like those of wet clothes packed in a bag, so extreme that it gives nausea.

A female friend today said that I should buy / outsource a bag of Coal and leave it in the car for two-three days, it will absorb all foul smell guaranteed. That's how her mom gets rid of foul smell from the refrigerator. But I am hesitant on the bizarre measure until someone convinces me that its fool proof

Please help with best possible solutions.
Old 8th October 2012, 22:08   #3813
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_diavolo View Post
My car got drenched in water about a month ago. ......

A female friend today said that I should buy / outsource a bag of Coal and leave it in the car for two-three days, it will absorb all foul smell guaranteed. That's how her mom gets rid of foul smell from the refrigerator. But I am hesitant on the bizarre measure until someone convinces me that its fool proof

Please help with best possible solutions.
Hi there,

Your friend may be right.

Activated(?) carbon is the main ingredient of the gas masks that are used to filter the air polluted due to various reasons. Even against air having nuclear contaminants.

So go ahead and do it. If you crush the coal before you use it, all the more better. That will increase its surface area thereby increasing its absorbing capability.

Do keep us posted.
skdking is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2012, 23:58   #3814
BHPian

which spark plugs would be the best?
Old 9th October 2012, 09:07   #3815
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumargandharva View Post
Honda uses iridium plugs to be replaced after 10 years /100,000km. Any major brand should be Ok.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2012, 12:17   #3816
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
Hi there,

Your friend may be right.

Activated(?) carbon is the main ingredient of the gas masks that are used to filter the air polluted due to various reasons. Even against air having nuclear contaminants.

So go ahead and do it. If you crush the coal before you use it, all the more better. That will increase its surface area thereby increasing its absorbing capability.

Do keep us posted.
And if you wash the coal and dry it before putting it in, it will be even more effective. Washing the coal leads to "activation". The phenomenon is called "adsorption". While I don't know how practical it would be to do it in a car, but technically it is the correct Idea. Like mentioned above, It is used in gas masks. Activated charcoal is also used in tablets for stomach to adsorb the gases, in your aquaguard water purifier and now also in air filters.

Let us know how it works out
rgds
VineetG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2012, 13:42   #3817
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Honda uses iridium plugs to be replaced after 10 years /100,000km. Any major brand should be Ok.
And do this only if its required. The Civic spark plugs are built to last 1 lac+ kms.
Moreover it will require opening up the engine cover top for its replacement, rite?
Old 9th October 2012, 17:34   #3818
BHPian

Quote:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2671295

Photos from my 1 lakh kms service in Feb 2012 (from this very same thread).

And: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2670562 for more details of the costs.

Last edited by manim : 9th October 2012 at 17:37.
manim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2012, 17:36   #3819
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_diavolo View Post
The ABS Light came ON just when I started 400 km drive to Greater Noida from Jaipur....is it some major expense in the waiting???

Thanks!
Is this issue fixed Gaurav? I had a similar issue and it turns out the left rear wheel ABS sensor was not getting any power and the problem was one of the wires was damaged.
Honda service center first told me to change one of the wiring looms for 14K which was not really necessary as with a little prodding they agreed to repair the damaged wires. They kept my car for a couple of days and charged me a little over 2K for labour.

Hope this helps.
Old 9th October 2012, 17:47   #3820
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Damn, my car has now developed the infamous engine mount issue.

Noticed a major vibration when started in cold condition. The vibrations comes in P and R and little bit in N, but not in D. Reread all posts in this and other forums. Checked the gap between the mount lip and the rubber bush. The lip of the mount is resting on the bush!!

Will try to replace the mount as soon as possible.
Same issue with my car these days. Putting it off till next service since there is still a gap of like 1.5-2mm (enough to let daylight through) between the lip and the bush. Also, its not jumping out of the engine bay like those videos on Youtube.
Old 10th October 2012, 00:47   #3821
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
Same issue with my car these days. Putting it off till next service since there is still a gap of like 1.5-2mm (enough to let daylight through) between the lip and the bush. Also, its not jumping out of the engine bay like those videos on Youtube.
How much time does your Civic have before its next service? If it is more than 15 days away, suggest you get it replaced now. It gets much worse quite quickly, in my experience, and you can't live with the increased noise for very long.
Old 10th October 2012, 14:23   #3822
BHPian

The car key has an issue.

The remote has stopped working. took it to the service centre and wanted to check if it is only a battery failure. The service centre tells me that they are unable to open the key and check, so another key has to be made it will cost approx Rs 5,000/=

Request inputs to address the situation
Old 10th October 2012, 14:39   #3823
BANNED

@krishtk; I think he is just being stupid or doen not know.

When I examined the key I thought the key can be opened fairly easily. There is a small Philips screw, and then the thing should open up. Right now I do not have the key with me (I have my Santro with me) so cannot confirm. I even remember reading somewhere about no. of the Lithium Ion battery used etc.

Last edited by sgiitk : 10th October 2012 at 14:40.
Old 10th October 2012, 15:25   #3824
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishtk View Post
The car key has an issue.

The remote has stopped working. took it to the service centre and wanted to check if it is only a battery failure. The service centre tells me that they are unable to open the key and check, so another key has to be made it will cost approx Rs 5,000/=

Request inputs to address the situation
The key has a small philips screw. Usually they have rather big screwdrivers and therefore unable to open the screw. I finally bought the battery myself and used a jewellery type screwdriver to open the screw and change the battery. Fairly easy DIY, the manual details the procedure also.

The biggest problem is that it is several years before one has to change the battery and this sometimes results in the screw getting rusted/jammed. I almost stripped the screw's head when trying to open it, it was jammed tight, but luckily it caught and opened. But if unlucky, then one may have no option but to change the key.
Old 10th October 2012, 15:35   #3825
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Is this issue fixed Gaurav? I had a similar issue and it turns out the left rear wheel ABS sensor was not getting any power and the problem was one of the wires was damaged.
Honda service center first told me to change one of the wiring looms for 14K which was not really necessary as with a little prodding they agreed to repair the damaged wires. They kept my car for a couple of days and charged me a little over 2K for labour.

Hope this helps.
Hi Hiren, I got my car on a lift somewhere outside and could see right hand side rear brake's wire tampered. There are a lot of kittens in our backyard which keep playing under my car, from the prima-facia it appears they nibbled hard on the protruding wire. Else must have been some rodent.

However, I am really liking the non-ABS braking in my Civic, so for the moment I am enjoying my ride which has much more surefootedness. Would take up matter with Honda in next servicing (at 80k kms).

Last edited by gaurav_diavolo : 10th October 2012 at 15:37.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks