Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2013, 14:59   #4561
BHPian

Has any body suffered with noise from suspension especially gliding down slopes or crossing uneven speed breakers ? My local mechanic says its the KENCHI BUSH which ain't available separately ! I had replaced the steering ball joint but this noise is clearly from rear and right side or maybe left . It ain't constant only on uneven surfaces and mostly while turning on slopes .
Old 10th July 2013, 15:00   #4562
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhishek MPatil View Post
It's done 58ks and it's a 2009 model. Oh it's a Manual. The steering wheel isn't bad but would like to change.
That's strange. The steering wheel on my 2006 civic with 74k on odo, still looks perfect.
Old 10th July 2013, 21:27   #4563

This is my first post on Team-bhp. I'm looking to buy a used car for around 7l. I've been following this thread for a while and while i did get a general idea about the ownership experience of the civic, I'd appreciate some more clarification before i take the plunge.

I'm looking at a Black '08 Civic done 32K on odo for around 6.8l. While it seems like a good deal to me, i wonder how reliability is going to be for a car that is 5 years old. I'm also worried about the FE since i live 12Km from work. Resale value would also have to be considered.

I took the civic for a drive and boy what a machine!

My other option is a '10 City done 30k on odo for anoud 6.5l.

City or the Civic? The city is much more practical, but the civic.. not too easy to let go of it.

What do you guys think?
Old 10th July 2013, 22:05   #4564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omairs View Post
This is my first post on Team-bhp. I'm looking to buy a used car for around 7l. I've been following this thread for a while and while i did get a general idea about the ownership experience of the civic, I'd appreciate some more clarification before i take the plunge.

I'm looking at a Black '08 Civic done 32K on odo for around 6.8l. While it seems like a good deal to me, i wonder how reliability is going to be for a car that is 5 years old. I'm also worried about the FE since i live 12Km from work. Resale value would also have to be considered.

City or the Civic? The city is much more practical, but the civic.. not too easy to let go of it.

What do you guys think?
Get the City - more practical for you
Old 10th July 2013, 22:12   #4565
e2p
BHPian

Quote:

What do you guys think?
I believe that the answer lies in your question itself . If most of the commuting is going to be in city limits, then city is the one for you. However if you do have highway cruises in mind , then you will benefit from the civic. I am also in search for a civic, however budget is a constraint at the moment.

Cheers.
Old 10th July 2013, 22:42   #4566
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

What do you guys think?
Resale value of a Civic is poor.Buy only if you would keep 3-4 years atleast.FE in city would be around 9 kmpl and mixed mode (highway+ city) would come at 11 kmpl. 6.8 L seems high. Around 5.5 should be proper. The City here seems to be a better choice at the price offered.

Civic has some real nagging problems with the engine mounts,is a pain to park,spares can be expensive especially if sourced from HASS,FE can be horrible if driven in dense traffic conditions and the bumpers are flimsy.

If you can live with all the above issues, rest everything else about a Civic is just amazing ,then i suggest you go for the Civic else the City seems to be a better bet.Both cars are Ivtec's and both have 100+ more HP.The Honda City as is 60% a Honda Civic and the only real thing it lacks when compare to the Civic is the power folding mirrors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhishek MPatil View Post
It's done 58ks and it's a 2009 model. Oh it's a Manual. The steering wheel isn't bad but would like to change.
Buddy, the only thing you need to change is the steering wheel leather cover which could be done at a fraction of the cost of a new steering wheel.As for the steering mounted remote , go the aftermarket way and it can be done more cheaper.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 10th July 2013 at 22:44.
Old 10th July 2013, 23:41   #4567
BHPian

Quote:
i wonder how reliability is going to be for a car that is 5 years old. I'm also worried about the FE since i live 12Km from work. Resale value would also have to be considered.

City or the Civic?
1. CIVIC suspension and handling is much better and very comfortable.
2. CIVIC is spacious due to its ergonomics and FLAT floor at rear. I've not yet seen a sedan/hatchback offering the same benefit (SUVs - yes they have it)
3. Most of the spare parts like brake pads and discs will cost same. Engine mounts are one-off issue (Either you replace straight away or, you are lucky, it might already have been addressed)
4. CIVIC has more of electro-mechanical parts, has hydraulic power steering (more expensive to repair) - These costs will be saved if you buy CITY
5. CIVIC will not scrape like CITY.
I have a CIVIC AT (FE varies from 7-9 in CITY and 10-14 on highways).
6. Resale will be dumb. I got for 6 lac last year (Almost spent 2l and counting... since then) . Now folks are offering 3.5 lac (Of course I'm not selling it, and decided to paint it matt-black once the dear returns from the transmission failure repair)
7. Personally, thoughts of FE etc goes down the drain when I step inside. I just feel like driving. In my case, buying a used CIVIC was ideated so that my wife can drive for short distance and take care of errands like dropping kid to school etc. I stepped inside and have not given her a chance since then. I even sold my SX4 after I found all creature comforts in the CIVIC.

But yeah, setting all these aspects aside, do go for a CITY if you want lower cost of maintenance. Its all luck, you cannot foresee the future damages/repairs. Either ways your mind will justify the practicality.
Old 11th July 2013, 00:20   #4568

Thanks a lot for your prompt and insightful replies, though all of what you guys said about the civic sounds quite intimidating.

To balance the argument, correct me if i'm wrong, but wouldn't Honda launching the face lifted City (in diesel as well) hurt the resale value of the City more? I mean, i see previous generation City's going for 2-3l whereas the lowest Civic i could find was for at least 4.5 lakhs, both being around '06 models (assuming they costed the same in, say, '10)

Also, wouldn't the fact that diesel will be completely de-regulated by the end of this year, help the resale value of currently (heavily) depreciated Petrol sedans like, say, the Civic?

Also, @devsoftech, may i know how much the car had run when it was bought and how much had it run before the transmission gave up?

@sumeethaldankar, i tend to drive with a heavy right foot often during peak hours. What's the worst mileage that i could expect?
Old 11th July 2013, 07:02   #4569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@sumeethaldankar, i tend to drive with a heavy right foot often during peak hours. What's the worst mileage that i could expect?
Around 7 kmpl. Maybe less.

Get the Civic. You'll love it. Your concerns about getting a 5 year-old Civic are legit, so check the complete service history of the car. Then talk to HASS. Also talk to a *good* independent garage. You'll get an idea of what all needs replacement in the coming 2 years/5-10k kms.

I'll agree with the others that parking the Civic can be a nightmare - the low seating, large dash and somewhat poor all-round visibility as a result is tricky to handle. I have unfortunately had a couple of instances where I trusted a parking attendant's instructions more than my own judgement and lightly scraped my car's bumper corners as a result, but that's about it. If you are predominantly going to use designated parking slots (or be parking at places where space is generally easy to figure out etc.), don't worry about parking hassles.

The Civic's an absolutely fantastic car in comparison to the City. No two questions about it. Personally I don't worry about the resale value so much. The industry dynamics you have mentioned may or may not come into the picture. Your bigger worry, if anything, should be availability of spares now that Honda no longer makes and sells this car here. That troubles me, at least. Even when the Civic retailed here spares were hard to come by.

Regards,
spadix
Old 11th July 2013, 11:54   #4570
Senior - BHPian

But I think Honda is better off in that aspect. The older generations of city still enjoys decent support at the service centers. Honda is known to ensure parts availability for 5 years atleast. So I'm guessing it shouldn't be too much of a problem. And more importantly, barring the engine mount issue, there isn't much that goes wrong in this car. My 6+ years old civic goes for service just once a year, has run close to 77k kms and I havnt had a single problem, not even the infamous engine mount issue. Touchwood!
I'd rather go with a brand that offers a terrific car with average service quality rather than an average car with good service backup.
Old 11th July 2013, 15:36   #4571
BHPian

Hi,

My 65K KMs run Civic has a leaking steering rack. My mechanic says he will replace the oil seals and it'll be alright; he is also giving a six month guarantee on the work.

Is it a wise option to go for such kinda repair or do I need to replace the steering rack? Please help.

Regards

Nitin
Old 11th July 2013, 18:46   #4572
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
Hi,

My 65K KMs run Civic has a leaking steering rack. My mechanic says he will replace the oil seals and it'll be alright; he is also giving a six month guarantee on the work.

Is it a wise option to go for such kinda repair or do I need to replace the steering rack? Please help.

Regards

Nitin
A new steering rack would come at 50-60k.I had repaired my civcs rack repaired last year from hass at 13k and touchwood its fine till now.Better get it repaired soon from your mechanic.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2013, 04:55   #4573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot for your prompt and insightful replies, though all of what you guys said about the civic sounds quite intimidating.
Hi, I had tried to capture my take on the viability of a pre worshipped Civic here in this thread.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2969983

Hope it helps.

Last edited by sarathlal : 13th July 2013 at 04:56.
Old 14th July 2013, 08:43   #4574
Senior - BHPian

Greetings. Can anyone tell me where I can get this for my 2006 Civic?

http://wap.ebay.com/Pages/ViewItem.a...-/151050368198
Old 15th July 2013, 09:43   #4575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
A new steering rack would come at 50-60k.I had repaired my civcs rack repaired last year from hass at 13k and touchwood its fine till now.Better get it repaired soon from your mechanic.
I got the steering repaired, but after that it feels a little bit harder to turn, is it normal?

I also noticed that the blue illumination in LCDs get dimmed when I turn on the head-lights, is it normal? Or the battery is dying?

Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks