Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2013, 07:21   #4486
BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Hi,

I have bought a used 2006, Civic which had done 65,000 KMs; but this mileage can be cooked up as well.

Please tell me whether 2006 Civics had timing belt or timing chain? And whether I need to get it replaced as a precautionary measure?

Thanks

Nitin
Old 21st June 2013, 08:28   #4487
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
Hi,

I have bought a used 2006, Civic which had done 65,000 KMs; but this mileage can be cooked up as well.

Please tell me whether 2006 Civics had timing belt or timing chain? And whether I need to get it replaced as a precautionary measure?

Thanks

Nitin
Civic has a timing chain.I think it does not warrant a change.Check the condition of the serpentine belt though it's suppose to last long as well.
Old 21st June 2013, 09:33   #4488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Civic has a timing chain.I think it does not warrant a change.Check the condition of the serpentine belt though it's suppose to last long as well.
The timing chain doesn't need early replacement like the belts, but you could replace it as a precaution around the 150,000kms mark - if you get there.
For mileage check with the nearest Honda A.S.S. I have found them evasive regarding quoting mileage of the civics I evaluated, so a bit of doggedness helps.
Old 21st June 2013, 10:16   #4489
Senior - BHPian

I recently changed my Wipers and fender lining

Price
Wiper set - 800 INR
Fender Lining - 800 INR

Let me know if the prices seem correct....
Old 21st June 2013, 11:02   #4490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Thanks for the explanation. But couldn't it be due to the remote key battery being weak due to which the car doesn't detect it in the first instance?

Now I'll have to assume that you manually unlocked the car, and not by trying with your weak remote.

Then you unlocked with the weak remote to silence the alarm.
Old 21st June 2013, 15:04   #4491
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Now I'll have to assume that you manually unlocked the car, and not by trying with your weak remote.

Then you unlocked with the weak remote to silence the alarm.
No I used the remote key only. I unlocked. Sat inside. Yellow light blinking. Put the key in. Alarm went off. Pressed unlock again to silence it.
Old 21st June 2013, 16:51   #4492
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
No I used the remote key only. I unlocked. Sat inside. Yellow light blinking. Put the key in. Alarm went off. Pressed unlock again to silence it.
With remote if you were able to unlock the car, then the Body Hub registers the same and enables a proper disarm and opens the doors. This is a good to go scenario.

Yellow light blinking is not a default status. Now we must understand why the blinking was yellow. Normally it should be amber. I guess you are referring to the LED near the speedometer.
Old 22nd June 2013, 06:18   #4493
Senior - BHPian

Yes next to the Speedo. The alarm sounds as soon as I insert the key. I have to press unlock again to silence it
Old 22nd June 2013, 10:03   #4494
BHPian

Not in sync with the topics under discussion but may be interest to others.
I had bought a pre-owned civic last year. The owner could not locate the duplicate key.
I was worried about the same and enquired from few Honda showrooms.
Quoted price- Rs 7500.
Sir it will take 15-20 days. Why don't you change all the locks only for 12500.

Decided to do some more research.

I was driving from Kolkata to Jammu via Lucknow which is my hometown.
Lalbagh market there is known as one stop solution for all automative issues.
One area of the market is dedicated to duplicate keys.
I was circumspect since Civic key has some hifi features built-in.
Met a guy who asked for 5000 bucks. Haggled a little and settled for 3500.

He took 15 min and came back with the key.It worked flawless.

So friends who are looking for such a solution cheer up and don't even glance towards Honda's.
Head to the local auto market and curse HASS for acting pricey for such a small issue.
Highflyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2013, 14:29   #4495
Senior - BHPian

Since the key discussion is going on, I will share my experience.

In Jan' 2011, I went to a market in Rohini (Delhi), bought some stuff and opened front door to keep some of the bought stuff and I also left the car keys on front seat. Then I opened the boot with lever, closed the door and went to keep remaining stuff in boot. As soon as I closed the boot after throwing the remaining stuff, the car got locked (bad front door sensor, it sensed that I never opened the front door, changed it later).

My spare key was in Gurgaon (Sohna Road), 45 kms away. Called up Honda one to one and Ring Road Honda but did not get positive response (They called back 4 hours later to know my location).

I had almost sent friend's driver to my home but before that I remembered a key maker sitting in the same market (open space, no shop). He tried some basic thing to open the door or to remove quarter glass but I stopped him after 2 minutes so that he doesn't damage anything.

He saw my original key lying on the front seat. He went to his shop and got a blank key (with no cuts) with a metal filer. Then and there, by just looking at key, in 8-10 minutes, he made a key and opened the door with this key. Cost Rs.400/-.

I met this guy 10-12 days ago for some other solution and he told me that he can make key of any car with immobilizer and remote. While we were talking, someone came to get a duplicate key of Honda City (or was it Civic, they look same) and he said he will do it.

I was really surprised to know these kind of guys (I think he is has not even studies till 10th standard) can do such things where three technologies involved - Key shape (cutting), immobilizer and remote. Of course, he will get it done from somewhere else but still.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-key.jpg  

mukeshgoel is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2013, 14:54   #4496
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highflyer View Post

He took 15 min and came back with the key.It worked flawless.

So friends who are looking for such a solution cheer up and don't even glance towards Honda's.
Head to the local auto market and curse HASS for acting pricey for such a small issue.
Hello Little Bro,

We have discussed your case in detail here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...t-dos-298.html

BTW, how is the key working?
skdking is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2013, 15:52   #4497
BHPian

Hi guys, need a small suggestion from the Civic owners.

I'm planning to buy a 2007 Civic AT which clocked over 80k kms. The engine is super silent and smooth at idle, but if I give a little bit of throttle, there is a slight vibration felt from the engine. When I give some more throttle and lift off my foot, I can feel a slight vibration again for a second from the engine before settling in silent idle.

Even in drive mode, there is that slight vibration felt in low rpms. This is the first time I'm driving a Civic and hence, I don't understand whether this car has any problem or is it common for any Civic?

Can any one please clarify this?
Old 22nd June 2013, 15:54   #4498
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Don't worry so much, one thing you can do is manually open the wiper arm and set it to 2-3cms lower on the driver side. If you can not do this then as a local mech. Its a 5 minutes job. A simple DIY if you know what you are doing.
Very similar to this.
http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/wiper1.htm

Option 2 - Get a new wiper blade that is 1-2Cm smaller. And This time get the aero twins from bosh don't depend on the @SS
Thanks Captain for this advice.

The Honda SA had a mechanic remove both the wiper arm assembly and refit it such that the blades rested 2-3 cms below the line where they were when I brought my car in. Took less than 5 minutes for the job.
Result: the sweep is perfect and the arm/blades don't touch the A pillar any more.
Old 22nd June 2013, 21:03   #4499
BHPian

[quote=mukeshgoel;3156801
He saw my original key lying on the front seat. He went to his shop and got a blank key (with no cuts) with a metal filer. Then and there, by just looking at key, in 8-10 minutes, he made a key and opened the door with this key. Cost Rs.400/-.

I met this guy 10-12 days ago for some other solution and he told me that he can make key of any car with immobilizer and remote. While we were talking, someone came to get a duplicate key of Honda City (or was it Civic, they look same) and he said he will do it.

I was really surprised to know these kind of guys (I think he is has not even studies till 10th standard) can do such things where three technologies involved - Key shape (cutting), immobilizer and remote. Of course, he will get it done from somewhere else but still.[/QUOTE]

Lo and behold.

What say, people?

Indian jugaad is unmatchable.

These MNCs should learn something and reduce the prices of such services drastically.

Jugaad is not desirable in normal times as it indicates a failure of standard process creating a vacuum where practices like jugaads flourish.
Old 22nd June 2013, 21:21   #4500
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav14 View Post

Can any one please clarify this?
Check the engine mounts.This has been discussed on this thread many times and you can find information on how to check if mount is ok.I think it's around page 112 or 113 of this thread.Can't post link as i am typing from my mobile.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks