Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2013, 20:47   #4336
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derezzed View Post
Friends,
I have booked a pre-owned Civic AT,.....
..2010 Wagon R.
Hi,
The most common issue with the Pre-face lifted Civic is the engine mount. This is the way to identify if the issue is present.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2352049

There should be sufficient gap between the two metal parts else it's straight 10k hit on the wallet.Rest of the stuff is in general with buying in any other car, check the tyres,battery etc since these are expensive to replace.

Since the car is at 58K you can expect a major service at 60K. The most expensive & common item to be replaced is the fuel strainer which may need replacement.This item alone costs around ~ 4.3K. It has a change interval of 40K or so.If it was not changed you may need to replace it.This is how a bad fuel strainer looks like.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2958993

At 60k you should get the AT fluid replaced as that's the drain interval for same.

Good Luck with car.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2013, 00:16   #4337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Hi,
The most common issue with the Pre-face lifted Civic is the engine mount. This is the way to identify if the issue is present.

Good Luck with car.
Thanks for the heads up. I visually checked the engine mount myself and there was <5cm gap between the rubber and metal. I asked the technician, like 10 times, whether this will be an issue and I'll have to change it soon. He assured me that nothing would happen and this is the typical gap but I wasn't sold on his claim.

Also the Honda guys gave me no indication on the current quality of engine oil, AT fluid etc. This car is registered in a different city, Kolhapur, and was serviced there all along. Service records are also not available at the moment. However after riding the car for 13 KMs in a mix of D and S mode and after the positive feedback from Honda service I decided to go ahead with the booking.

I spent Rs. 615 for the 'used car check' and expected written information on the condition of engine, transmission, suspension, hydraulics etc. But all I got was a verbal confirmation on the mechanics and a written list of cosmetic items (like rear mat missing, front inner fender line to be changed etc.). This list was on the job card and nothing was handed over to me except the bill and the gate pass.

In the US, I had bought 3 used cars and each time I got it checked from a reputed garage they would give me a list of all issues, parts to be replaced and preventive maintenance for the car. Why doesn't this happen in India too?

Hence, I still have no idea about the condition of the fuel strainer, presence of synth or semi-synth oil in the engine, condition of AT oil etc.

Most importantly I want to know the correct/legal process for this used car deal. I gave the broker some advance today for which he has given me the receipt. I am expected to submit a list of documents to him tomorrow for the registration transfer as well as bank loan through him. The RC book of the car shows the original owner's name. Now is there any 'power of attorney' letter to be issued by the owner to this broker. What document(s) should I receive from the broker and owner during this transaction?
What document makes me the legal owner of this car before the issuance of new RC which will take at least a month? I don't want to be cheated by the broker here and lose my hard earned money. Advice needed here.
Old 9th May 2013, 12:26   #4338
BHPian

Quote:
I have booked a pre-owned Civic AT, S variant today. Its an Aug 2006 model with 58,000 KM on the odo.

The experienced hands here can give me some tips anything that I am missing out here.
My AT is now six years old with 1,27,000+ kms on the odo.
There are NO problems worth mentioning till now.
Car is still silky smooth!

So you have no reason to worry (assuming that the previous owner has treated it properly).

All my services and feedback from 40K onwards are on this thread in earlier posts.
Old 16th May 2013, 13:17   #4339
Senior - BHPian

Hello Guys,

Am looking forward to some help from people who have using civic for a long time, as I am a new Civic user and this will be my experience with the Honda After Sales. Would be great if anyone can provide me a estimate for my Service bill.

I have to go for a longish trip next week and want to get my car serviced this week, but am tight on a budget. Would be great if anyone can give me a approx estimate for the following tasks detailed below. If the costs are beyond my budget this month, will complete the servicing next month, after returning from the trip.

Tasks to be carried out
- Regular Service (including Oil Change)
- Replace Driver Side wiper
- Right Tail light bulb
- Boot Lock not opening with Key
- Faulty Driver side door sensor
- Door not closing fully (protrusion even in locked condition, I guess the point above is related to this)
- Movement in Driver Seat on braking (loose mounts I guess)
- Low Mileage (around 11-12 on highways with AC, two people)

Thanks in advance.
Old 16th May 2013, 14:23   #4340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Hello Guys,

Am looking forward to some help from people who have using civic for a long time, as I am a new Civic user and this will be my experience with the Honda After Sales. Would be great if anyone can provide me a estimate for my Service bill.

I have to go for a longish trip next week and want to get my car serviced this week, but am tight on a budget. Would be great if anyone can give me a approx estimate for the following tasks detailed below. If the costs are beyond my budget this month, will complete the servicing next month, after returning from the trip.

Tasks to be carried out
- Regular Service (including Oil Change)
- Replace Driver Side wiper
- Right Tail light bulb
- Boot Lock not opening with Key
- Faulty Driver side door sensor
- Door not closing fully (protrusion even in locked condition, I guess the point above is related to this)
- Movement in Driver Seat on braking (loose mounts I guess)
- Low Mileage (around 11-12 on highways with AC, two people)

Thanks in advance.
Regular service will cost in the range of 2-3K.The wiper pair will set you back by 900 bucks.Avoid Hass for the other work like boot key etc as those jokers won't repair but will try to replace whatever possible as it's their "motto".

Get throttle body cleaned-500 bucks approx,air filter changed-900 bucks and see if mileage improves.
Old 18th May 2013, 14:41   #4341
BHPian

I took delivery of my pre-owned Civic S A/T yesterday. Loving every moment of the ownership. Here are a few photos I wanted to share.

I would have liked the car in Tafeta White but in the pre-owned market for a quality Civic we don't have much choices, do we?
I am beginning to like this Blue Silver colour, it looks awesome especially in the evening.

Things on my to do list:
1. Fully charge the battery (diagnostic report says battery health is good but low on charge)
2. Diagnostic report says excessive ripples during charging system test, will get it checked soon. Will attach the report soon. Any ideas as to what the problem might be?
3. Upgrade headlamps to HIDs.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-1.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-2.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-3.jpg  

Last edited by Derezzed : 18th May 2013 at 15:00.
Old 18th May 2013, 15:32   #4342
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the new rider. The car really looks in good condition.If the battery is on it's way out suggest going for a new one.A new Amaron battery would set you back by 4500 -5000 K.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2013, 18:45   #4343
BHPian

Quote:
I took delivery of my pre-owned Civic S A/T yesterday. Loving every moment of the ownership. Here are a few photos I wanted to share.

I would have liked the car in Tafeta White but in the pre-owned market for a quality Civic we don't have much choices, do we?
I am beginning to like this Blue Silver colour, it looks awesome especially in the evening.
Mine is also the same colour!

Quote:
Fully charge the battery (diagnostic report says battery health is good but low on charge)
In an AT taking a risk with the battery can get you stranded, you cannot push-start and can only jump-start.

Since it is your new car, better to go for a new battery for a few thousands more for peace-of-mind (as also sumeethaldankar pointed out).

Hope to share all your service experiences henceforth on this thread!
manim is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2013, 07:26   #4344
Senior - BHPian

Well, my not so friendly neighbor decided to get his house painted and didn't inform me. So my civic has now got paint drops all over the rear. I got the rear lights etc free from the paint but the rear bumper and boot has still got white paint and it certainly doesn't look pretty on the grey beauty. Tried everything but the paint refuses to get off. Anything I can try? I don't want to use a thinner as I'm afraid it'll mess up the body paint too.

Can the Service center folks clean it up for me? any idea how much it'll cost?
Old 19th May 2013, 15:14   #4345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Can the Service center folks clean it up for me? any idea how much it'll cost?
I had a small scratch by a bus at a traffic signal many years back and yellow paint from the bus was transferred to my car along with a minor dent.

The service guys used some 'rubbing solution', could be paint thinner, and the paint was removed. The dent remains!

It was free of charge for me since it was a small area.
Old 19th May 2013, 23:00   #4346
Senior - BHPian

Dear friends my civic's parked with a body cover on.Would it be advisable to leave the cover on during the approaching monsoon season.The cover is of the thin silver parachute type material.
Thanks.
Old 19th May 2013, 23:18   #4347
BHPian

Quote:
Dear friends my civic's parked with a body cover on.Would it be advisable to leave the cover on during the approaching monsoon season.The cover is of the thin silver parachute type material.
Thanks.
Hi,

Even no cover is better then nylon cover.

Nylon cover does not permit air circulation.

Try to get canvas cover if you can.
Old 19th May 2013, 23:36   #4348
BHPian

Quote:
my civic's parked with a body cover on.Would it be advisable to leave the cover on during the approaching monsoon season.The cover is of the thin silver parachute type material.
Here is a photo of mine bought from Honda showroom for Rs.2,650 a month after I bought my car.

It still is in good shape, the elastic has weakened though.
(Mine is a covered parking so I don't have to worry about rains).

When it gets wet the cover 'sticks' to the car-body, so I don't think it is advisable to keep it on. But it is supposed to be of a 'breathable' material so any moisture trapped will eventually be let off.

I wash the cover every 3/4 months using surf.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-dsc_0392.jpg  

manim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2013, 23:46   #4349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
Hi,

Even no cover is better then nylon cover.

Nylon cover does not permit air circulation.

Try to get canvas cover if you can.
I generally allow the engine and the hood to cool for an hour after parking. Only then do I cover my car.

Any cover that blocks rain water from touching a car's paint will not permit air circulation.
So even a humble nylon cover should do the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
Here is a photo of mine bought from Honda showroom for Rs.2,650 a month after I bought my car.

It still is in good shape, the elastic has weakened though.
(Mine is a covered parking so I don't have to worry about rains).

When it gets wet the cover 'sticks' to the car-body, so I don't think it is advisable to keep it on. But it is supposed to be of a 'breathable' material so any moisture trapped will eventually be let off.

I wash the cover every 3/4 months using surf.
The cover you bought from Honda should be of a very good material that makes it easier to put on and remove by clinging to the body closely. But the 'breathable' material on the cover is just a marketing gimmick in my opinion.

If air can go through the cover then definitely water can also seep through.

I bought a nylon cover off ebay for rs 710. This was just to prevent it from naughty kids. Your Honda cover is somehow more contoured and body fitting than the one I have I must admit.
Derezzed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2013, 10:33   #4350
Senior - BHPian

Even I was just think about the same issue.

The problem with using body cover is that it is never 100 % water proof. So during rains (especially Mumbai type rains) the water will get inside the cover thus dissolving the purpose of the cover.

In fact the cover keeps the car wet even when it has stopped raining, thus making it more prone to rusting.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks