Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2013, 23:08   #4261
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Could anyone help out with ratheeshba's query? am looking for a similar solution. The bumpers of my civic have many scratches and paint chipped off and a broken bumper clip. They make the car look too bad. Is a normal paint nd fix job better or should I get new bumpers? what would be the approx cost for new ones?

my civic is 6 years old..stellar performance till date
Old 7th April 2013, 16:32   #4262
BHPian

Having a bad Sunday to cap of a crappy week.

Car went in for scheduled 40k service and found that ac fan had given up. Replacement cost about 9.5k. Service cost including fuel strainer replacement 15k. So total service cost about 25k.

Was just out today and at one point the horn just statred continously honking. Had to take out horn fuse from the engine bay fuse box to stop it. Presently at Arya Honda Lalbaug, am told that the fuse box near driver side has failed and needs to be replaced. Cost 15.5k.

Really expensive week this.
Old 7th April 2013, 18:49   #4263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun Venugopal View Post
...and found that ac fan had given up. Replacement cost about 9.5k.
Any reason why ac fan gave up? It is not a routine wear-and-tear item?

Quote:
fuse box near driver side has failed and needs to be replaced. Cost 15.5k.
Were any modifications done to the original-wiring which could have contributed to this failure?

The cost of 15.5K seems excessive for a fuse-box?
Old 7th April 2013, 20:18   #4264

13000 is the cost of 1 bumper as per Dakshin Honda in Bangalore.
Old 7th April 2013, 20:22   #4265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
Any reason why ac fan gave up? It is not a routine wear-and-tear item?

Were any modifications done to the original-wiring which could have contributed to this failure?

The cost of 15.5K seems excessive for a fuse-box?
I will check the exact part name and update, have left the bill in the car. It is not a routine wear and tear item but I did not get a specific reason from the service advisor on probable cause for failure.

The only after market fitment on the car is a stereo system installed by Ajay (Bass & Trouble) last year. Knowing Ajay's professional installs, I don't think that is a factor here plus I have had a trouble free year since the install. The cost did catch me by surprise. It's a whole module that sits just above the bonnet release. I did not have a choice but to replace as the horn would not switch off otherwise. Only solution was to disable horn by removing the relevant fuse and driving without the horn in Mumbai, especially in peak hours, is risky.

The car has never given me any cause for worry as regards bills so far. Just this time the bills have been stiff with these replacements. Otherwise its just been the routine expenses.
Arun Venugopal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2013, 20:51   #4266
BHPian

Quote:

I will check the exact part name and update, have left the bill in the car. It is not a routine wear and tear item but I did not get a specific reason from the service advisor on probable cause for failure.

The only after market fitment on the car is a stereo system installed by Ajay (Bass & Trouble) last year. Knowing Ajay's professional installs, I don't think that is a factor here plus I have had a trouble free year since the install. The cost did catch me by surprise. It's a whole module that sits just above the bonnet release. I did not have a choice but to replace as the horn would not switch off otherwise. Only solution was to disable horn by removing the relevant fuse and driving without the horn in Mumbai, especially in peak hours, is risky.

The car has never given me any cause for worry as regards bills so far. Just this time the bills have been stiff with these replacements. Otherwise its just been the routine expenses.
I wonder how come horn will be on all the time due to faulty fuse . Pls take second opinion .

Last edited by saurabhkum : 7th April 2013 at 20:53.
saurabhkum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2013, 23:05   #4267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Was just out today and at one point the horn just statred continously honking. Had to take out horn fuse from the engine bay fuse box to stop it. Presently at Arya Honda Lalbaug, am told that the fuse box near driver side has failed and needs to be replaced. Cost 15.5k.

Really expensive week this.
Really sad.

I got this changed in my 3.5 years old car in Feb'2010. My car's horn was not working. Luckily, it was covered in extended warranty.

The part No. is 38200SNBR14. Please check if you can get it from somewhere else.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-14022010909.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-14022010910.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-14022010911.jpg  

Last edited by mukeshgoel : 7th April 2013 at 23:06.
Old 7th April 2013, 23:39   #4268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Really sad.

I got this changed in my 3.5 years old car in Feb'2010. My car's horn was not working. Luckily, it was covered in extended warranty.

The part No. is 38200SNBR14. Please check if you can get it from somewhere else.
Yes, that's the exact part that I had to replace. My problem was the opposite, the horn would just not stop. I had to pull out the fuse to stop it. Cost me 15,990 to replace (including labour and taxes). Did not have a choice but to replace.
Old 8th April 2013, 06:44   #4269
Senior - BHPian

When i had gone to solitaire honda once for servicing, my civic's remote key was not working properly.Solitaire wanted to replace same with a new one costing 4.5k.I refused the same.When i came back home i thought i might try opening the remote key case and see if i could do something about it.When i popped open the case i found the circuit board had come off the plastic chassis and as result of which the buttons were not getting pressed properly.I pressed the board firmly inside and voila..the remote started to work flawlessly.Thats a cool 4.5k saved.

Now this is a typical attitude of Honda service.If it's broken they wont fix it, they would replace it and break your bank balance.Arun maybe it was possible to get the fuse box repaired from outside but whats done is done.My word of advice to any one if the repair is expensive always try to get a second opinion if possible.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2013, 07:15   #4270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratheeshba View Post
13000 is the cost of 1 bumper as per Dakshin Honda in Bangalore.
Does 13K include painting? A year ago when I took a quote from Dakshin, they had quoted around 5K for the bumper and another 5K for painting. But I decided to wait for a few more scratches.
Old 8th April 2013, 07:57   #4271
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post

Does 13K include painting? A year ago when I took a quote from Dakshin, they had quoted around 5K for the bumper and another 5K for painting. But I decided to wait for a few more scratches.
Yes this should be including the paint and labor. I got a similar quote from magnum, but didn't proceed since the cost of repair was much lesser than a replacement.
Old 8th April 2013, 09:53   #4272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
When i had gone to solitaire honda once for servicing, my civic's remote key was not working properly.Solitaire wanted to replace same with a new one costing 4.5k.I refused the same.When i came back home i thought i might try opening the remote key case and see if i could do something about it.When i popped open the case i found the circuit board had come off the plastic chassis and as result of which the buttons were not getting pressed properly.I pressed the board firmly inside and voila..the remote started to work flawlessly.Thats a cool 4.5k saved.

Now this is a typical attitude of Honda service.If it's broken they wont fix it, they would replace it and break your bank balance.Arun maybe it was possible to get the fuse box repaired from outside but whats done is done.My word of advice to any one if the repair is expensive always try to get a second opinion if possible.

Sumeet, if ever you need a new key, contact this guy. I paid Rs. 3500 for my Honda Civic key.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/mumbai...ight=keymaster
frankmehta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2013, 23:53   #4273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post

Ideally I would have liked to get a second opinion as to whether a repair could have been effected. However, since this is a fairly critical control module and i really had to have the car this week, I took the plunge. Hope this a one off case.
Old 9th April 2013, 00:20   #4274
Senior - BHPian

Okay..I need a little advice about the tyres of my 2007 civic. My dad had got the front tyres shifted to the rear and put in New tyres at the front last year. Now my civic has run 73k kms and the rear tyres 'need' to be changed. I am looking to buy 2 new tyres. So 2 questions:

1. Should I put in the New tyres at the front or the rear? some say rear is better while others say front.

2. I currently have Bridgestones. should I put in 2 New Bridgestones or can I go for another brand, Michelin maybe? or is it advisable to go for the same tyres to maintain consistency?
Old 9th April 2013, 01:13   #4275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
1. Should I put in the New tyres at the front or the rear? some say rear is better while others say front.
Rear. Michelin website says so, with reasons (read a long time back, don't have the link now).

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
2. I currently have Bridgestones. should I put in 2 New Bridgestones or can I go for another brand, Michelin maybe? or is it advisable to go for the same tyres to maintain consistency?
Mixing different tyres on the same axle is dangerous, however the front and rear pair can be different brands/models, but the same sizes. I have driven a lot with one pair of Michelin-MXV8 and another of Michelin-PLC.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks