Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2013, 07:09   #4216
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys, i have noticed my speedometer light starts to flicker while locking/unlocking and today in the morning it even stayed on for while after i had removed the key from the ignition.I had to lock and unlock the car to stop it from glowing.Any ideas why this could be happening?
Old 17th March 2013, 20:00   #4217
BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Hi guys, i have noticed my speedometer light starts to flicker while locking/unlocking and today in the morning it even stayed on for while after i had removed the key from the ignition.I had to lock and unlock the car to stop it from glowing.Any ideas why this could be happening?
Suspect a weak battery. Better to have that checked and ruled out.
Old 17th March 2013, 20:33   #4218
BHPian

Re: 1,25,000 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
Do you mean the front-pads or the rear-pads or both?

The front-pads lasting for 60K + 20K ?
Both Front and Rear Brake pads are Good.Am (pleasantly) surprised too but would keep a close watch. Cant pinpoint a reason for it but it may be because bulk of my driving were in Highways where I drive at steady speeds of 80-90 KMPH with less braking/Braking with Light force by anticipating and reducing speeds rather than Braking.

Did a Dindugul - Bangalore trip today and was driving quite fast till Krishnagiri.Brakes were good after Disk skimming.High speed judder is also gone now.Will be changing to 205/65/15 (mostly Bridgestone Turanza or may be XM2) tyres this week.Let me see if Grip improves after the Tyre Change.
ramanak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2013, 21:15   #4219
BHPian

I bought a used civic VAT, 24000kms run, single owner for 5.8 lacs with full service history and car was in great condition. It's 2008 model.
The current odo reading is 34k and I'm driving for last 6 months.
Around 1 month back the 'd' mode started blinking while driving. With engine off and on, the problem went away. After a week, randomly it blinked for 2 mins, again restarted and it went away. I couldn't reproduce this issue. Read the owners manual, and it adviced to contact service center immediately. Well, after about 20 days, I left the car for service last Friday.

Service Center was magnum Honda, at kanakapura road, Bangalore.
The SA after hearing the word 'd mode blinking' went into deep thought and adviced me to sell off the car, since the replacement transmission would cost 3lacs!! I calmly told him that I'm in no mood to sell but fix the problem. He referred me to service manager, Mr Thomas. A thorough gentleman, and cooly told me, please get the 40K service done, though the car didn't clock so much. He immediately got a laptop and did some diagnosis, and told me to leave the car for 2 days.
I got the car BACK today (yes, they worked on Sunday to test my car, and kept the commitment) , and they confirmed that they couldn't reproduce the issue even after replacing the the gear oil, with full 40K service done, and they ran for 150 kms(they spent good 10 liters of fuel on their own cost). I was adviced to monitor the issue and get the car without switching off when d mode blinks.
Hopefully it's resolved, else the long troubleshooting will begin.
I love my civic and the supreme comfort it offers. I sincerely hope that the problem is gone.
I'm extremely happy with service center and the extra mile they went to work on Sunday and kept their promise, and gave full assurance. They worked today to extensively ride till hosur and came back, hoping to reproduce the issue but couldn't. Computer couldn't detect any error codes either. They showed me the diagnosis screen where all checks passed.
Good service from magnum Honda :-)

Last edited by harishpr : 17th March 2013 at 21:23.
harishpr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2013, 21:20   #4220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun Venugopal View Post

Suspect a weak battery. Better to have that checked and ruled out.
Have you experienced the same as my battery is 6 months old.
Old 18th March 2013, 09:25   #4221
BHPian

Quote:
Have you experienced the same as my battery is 6 months old.
I did, but the battery was about 3 years old then. Since your battery is new am not so sure, but you may want to check that just to rule out the possibility.
Arun Venugopal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2013, 21:16   #4222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun Venugopal View Post
I did, but the battery was about 3 years old then. Since your battery is new am not so sure, but you may want to check that just to rule out the possibility.
Well i did checked the green light thingy and the green light is there (it's a Amaron) on the battery so i am hoping the battery is fine.This morning too i checked and found it was not flickering as much as before but it was there.I just hope it's a loose contact or something but might get it checked out later if i get the time. Anybody else had this flickering issue on the speedometer too ?
Old 18th March 2013, 22:29   #4223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...it even stayed on for while after i had removed the key from the ignition.I had to lock and unlock the car to stop it from glowing.Any ideas why this could be happening?
This is normal, I think...the speedo light stays on (without any flickering, of course) even after you remove the keys, but switches off once you lock the car.
Old 21st March 2013, 08:58   #4224
Senior - BHPian

After how many kms should the tires be changed? My civic has completed 72k kms, the tyres still look very good, with proper tread. Minimum wear and tear. I bought it in 2007
Old 21st March 2013, 10:20   #4225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
After how many kms should the tires be changed? My civic has completed 72k kms, the tyres still look very good, with proper tread. Minimum wear and tear. I bought it in 2007
Hi,
I am at 57K and still looks good from tread wear point of view. I have Michelins. Which ones do you have?

Rgds
VineetG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2013, 10:45   #4226
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
You should have changed them 22K kms before. Or in the year 2012!

Go to the nearest tyre store and look at the tyre/tread depth of new tyres for the Civic. And then compare it with yours. Since you see your tyres often and since the tyres lose rubber at a glacial pace, you would have forgotten how deep/solid the treads of new tyres are.
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2013, 11:48   #4227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
You should have changed them 22K kms before. Or in the year 2012!

Go to the nearest tyre store and look at the tyre/tread depth of new tyres for the Civic. And then compare it with yours. Since you see your tyres often and since the tyres lose rubber at a glacial pace, you would have forgotten how deep/solid the treads of new tyres are.
I think that might be the case. I'll go and compare. The ride quality is still decent. So do you advise me to change or can i push it till the next service due in 4-5 months? What is the average life of a set of tyres anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VineetG View Post
Hi,
I am at 57K and still looks good from tread wear point of view. I have Michelins. Which ones do you have?

Rgds
I am still on the stock tyres..what were they? goodyear all season?

All tyres have a tread wear indicator. Can anyone guide me on how to check that?

Last edited by coolkurt : 21st March 2013 at 11:53.
Old 22nd March 2013, 21:38   #4228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishpr View Post
I bought a used civic VAT, 24000kms run, single owner for 5.8 lacs with full service history and car was in great condition. It's 2008 model.
The current odo reading is 34k and I'm driving for last 6 months.
Around 1 month back the 'd' mode started blinking while driving. With engine off and on, the problem went away. After a week, randomly it blinked for 2 mins, again restarted and it went away. I couldn't reproduce this issue. Read the owners manual, and it adviced to contact service center immediately. Well, after about 20 days, I left the car for service last Friday.

Service Center was magnum Honda, at kanakapura road, Bangalore.
The SA after hearing the word 'd mode blinking' went into deep thought and adviced me to sell off the car, since the replacement transmission would cost 3lacs!! I calmly told him that I'm in no mood to sell but fix the problem. He referred me to service manager, Mr Thomas. A thorough gentleman, and cooly told me, please get the 40K service done, though the car didn't clock so much. He immediately got a laptop and did some diagnosis, and told me to leave the car for 2 days.
I got the car BACK today (yes, they worked on Sunday to test my car, and kept the commitment) , and they confirmed that they couldn't reproduce the issue even after replacing the the gear oil, with full 40K service done, and they ran for 150 kms(they spent good 10 liters of fuel on their own cost). I was adviced to monitor the issue and get the car without switching off when d mode blinks.
Hopefully it's resolved, else the long troubleshooting will begin.
I love my civic and the supreme comfort it offers. I sincerely hope that the problem is gone.
I'm extremely happy with service center and the extra mile they went to work on Sunday and kept their promise, and gave full assurance. They worked today to extensively ride till hosur and came back, hoping to reproduce the issue but couldn't. Computer couldn't detect any error codes either. They showed me the diagnosis screen where all checks passed.
Good service from magnum Honda :-)
My car stayed in Mangum for 3 days, and they seem to have found the potential issue or cause. It's the sensor that is malfunctioning, which is confusing the car to choose right gear. For now they have swapped the sensor with another from their stock, and adviced me to monitor for a week. If problem doesn't occur, they will order for a new sensor. They haven't charged me a penny yet.
I hope the root cause is the sensor, and it's fixed for good.
Old 23rd March 2013, 23:01   #4229
BHPian

I badly want a steering mounted remote for my Civic (OEM ICE) ASAP so Want to know if aftermarket steering remote are available for the same , If not whats the price of the City's remote (OEM) and will the HSS people fix it for us if we buy from them??

Also if we connect both the steering remote and the one in the rear handrest parallelly ,will both work?

Last edited by lancer_maniac : 23rd March 2013 at 23:02.
Old 24th March 2013, 09:18   #4230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_maniac View Post
I badly want a steering mounted remote for my Civic (OEM ICE) ASAP so Want to know if aftermarket steering remote are available for the same , If not whats the price of the City's remote (OEM) and will the HSS people fix it for us if we buy from them??

Also if we connect both the steering remote and the one in the rear handrest parallelly ,will both work?
HSS guys will not give it (I checked with all Honda dealers like a mad romeo, this was my dream project). Only way to procure them in from insurance dumpyard guys, spare parts procurers, or US exporters (order by part number online). City part will definitely work with your civic. Apart from just adding steering remote, you will need to change the clockspring assembly (Sits behind the airbag module). This cable helps retain connection when you turn the steering with snapping any cables. Its like a long ribbon that is wound up in such a way that when you turn the steering, it can start unwinding. If you don't get proper clockspring module, you will *risk* injuring yourself in case of faulty wiring. Please do not even think of using unused cable leads and let the mechanic do soldering to utilize the unused leads in OEM cable. Best thing would be to procure the entire steering assembly with airbag assembly in interest of safety. Also, since the leads connect to audio system, you cannot have both rear and steering controls working simultaneously. it calls for some hacking here, and I won't recommend that. I would say drop the plan. Else be safe and cough up ~25K with steering control working. You may consider getting one with cruise control switches, so in future, you can have another project
devsoftech is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks