Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2013, 07:59   #4276
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
Rear. Michelin website says so, with reasons (read a long time back, don't have the link now).

Mixing different tyres on the same axle is dangerous, however the front and rear pair can be different brands/models, but the same sizes. I have driven a lot with one pair of Michelin-MXV8 and another of Michelin-PLC.
Yeah I've read Michelin guidelines. But still conventional logic is totally against it. The front tyres lose their tread a lot faster, and in a front wheel drive and all..so am still confused..

so I can have the older Bridgestones in the front and probably try Michelins for the rear or should I get new Bridgestones in order to keep parity?
Old 9th April 2013, 09:46   #4277
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Yeah I've read Michelin guidelines. But still conventional logic is totally against it. The front tyres lose their tread a lot faster, and in a front wheel drive and all..so am still confused..

so I can have the older Bridgestones in the front and probably try Michelins for the rear or should I get new Bridgestones in order to keep parity?
Yes, front tyres do wear out faster, but you take care of this with wheel rotation.

The thumb rule is simply - to minimise risk oversteer put the more grippy tyres (esp those in the wet) in the rear!
Old 9th April 2013, 10:21   #4278
BHPian

My civic is at the service center for routine service. The adviser says that AC needs to be overhauled at 60K kms. For that they have to dismantle the dashboard, and would take 2 days and 4500 rupees. The AC is running fine so far, and I do not want to touch something that isn't broke and the fact that they have to take off the dash is troubling me. Need some advice here.
Old 9th April 2013, 10:37   #4279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
My civic is at the service center for routine service. The adviser says that AC needs to be overhauled at 60K kms. For that they have to dismantle the dashboard, and would take 2 days and 4500 rupees. The AC is running fine so far, and I do not want to touch something that isn't broke and the fact that they have to take off the dash is troubling me. Need some advice here.
IMO suggest you get it done. While it may seem to run fine, if the oil in the gas dries out, your AC compressor can fry very quickly and then you are looking at a huge bill. I now try and get AC servicing done every 3-4 years in all my cars irrespective of the running. Don't worry too much about the dash. Just tell them to ensure they put back in all the packing to ensure it does not rattle.
sandeep108 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2013, 10:49   #4280
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
IMO suggest you get it done. While it may seem to run fine, if the oil in the gas dries out, your AC compressor can fry very quickly and then you are looking at a huge bill. I now try and get AC servicing done every 3-4 years in all my cars irrespective of the running. Don't worry too much about the dash. Just tell them to ensure they put back in all the packing to ensure it does not rattle.
Really?
My Tucson is now 8 years old, 117000 KM done and no work has been done on the AC yet!!!
Old 9th April 2013, 11:12   #4281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Really?
My Tucson is now 8 years old, 117000 KM done and no work has been done on the AC yet!!!
Good for you. I am speaking from my experience with my OHC where the compressor failed after 5 1/2 years and 35k km. The A.S.S. at that time quoted 45k or so for replacement. I asked around for the reasons for the failure and was informed that AC service every 3-4 years is better to avoid such a situation. I finally got it repaired at the local AC wallah for 12k, but it was never the same again.

With my civic I made sure I got the AC service done at 4 years, even though my kms are not very high and now at 6 1/2 years still no problem. Even the Maruti A.S.S. advise the same.
Old 9th April 2013, 11:58   #4282
BHPian

Quote:
The adviser says that AC needs to be overhauled at 60K kms. For that they have to dismantle the dashboard, and would take 2 days and 4500 rupees. The AC is running fine so far, and I do not want to touch something that isn't broke and the fact that they have to take off the dash is troubling me. Need some advice here.
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

After six years and 1,27,000 kms on the odo, my AC is still doing a wonderful job.
In fact just two days back I was driving with my family in 40 deg C (summer has started!) and the cooling was superb!

Anyway our member laluks has posted with photos of the dismantling and cleaning of the AC components some years back on this very thread.
manim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2013, 12:03   #4283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratheeshba View Post
Now I want the bumpers with skirtings repainted..there are lots of scratches and the skirtings looks like its coming off..
From where did you buy the Skirtings and for how much ??
I got the Full body add on skirting for my OHC Vtec done from a local garage in Koramangala for 10k ,2 years back (Including the painting)
Right now looking for a add on Mugen Skirtings In Bangalore for my Civic.
Will be giving the said Garage a visit very soon to get a approximate for Civic skirtings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratheeshba View Post

Was even thinking of stickering the roof of the car black..and the lipspoiler in carbon fibre black..is it gonna look good..?
I would say avoid the Stikering part.Im not a big fan of stickers especially for Classy cars like Civic.Again Its a personal Choice.
But then Lip Spoliler Will look Great though.

PS: Can u Post some Pics of the car with the skirting's?

Last edited by lancer_maniac : 9th April 2013 at 12:23.
Old 9th April 2013, 12:32   #4284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

After six years and 1,27,000 kms on the odo, my AC is still doing a wonderful job.
In fact just two days back I was driving with my family in 40 deg C (summer has started!) and the cooling was superb!

Anyway our member laluks has posted with photos of the dismantling and cleaning of the AC components some years back on this very thread.
I think I would go with what you say. Cos your car is the benchmark for the rest of us. :-)
civic-sense is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2013, 12:38   #4285
Senior - BHPian

26K KMS down the line and my 08' S MT's clutch seems a little hard. Apart from that when pressed to the floor i have a little play in the first 20%. Also there a very prominent squeaky sound when changing gears like some kind of spring needs oiling. Can hear this from outside the car. Also the last 20% has a slight resistance before going completely to the floor.
To me seems like the hydraulic part of the clutch has worn out. Also looks like the clutch cable needs replacement.
OR
COMPLETE replacement. What cost are we looking at?
Old 9th April 2013, 14:22   #4286
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure but i remember reading somewhere that the ecu will detect low gas pressure and shut off the compressor thus prorecting the same.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2013, 17:03   #4287
BHPian

Quote:
A preventive A/C overhaul at 60K Kms? First time i ever heard that. Is it in any Honda user manual/Service Manual? Are you facing any issues? If not, I dont think it is required.
The problems that can be there with AC are
- Lack of air flow and early cutoff of compressor. Generally due to dirt clogging the evaporator. For a proper cleaning, Dash has to be taken off. The evaporator is removed and washed. Gas is recovered and re-circulated.
- A/C Not cooling : May be Low gas pressure : Can be done without opening the dash. I guess lubricalnt is also added along with the gas.
- General cleaning : Have a good pressure wash of the condensor(radiator).

In any of these services, i don't think the compressor is opened and overhauled (ie. removing the pistons, lubricating & re-assembling) as a preventive measure. It is not needed also.

So, IMHO, if you are not facing any issues, then let it be
My Civic is also at close to 60K Kms and no issues or lack of cooling or airflow. So if my service advisor suggests an overhaul, i will turn him down.

Rgds
VineetG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2013, 18:07   #4288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VineetG View Post
A preventive A/C overhaul at 60K Kms? First time i ever heard that. Is it in any Honda user manual/Service Manual? Are you facing any issues? If not, I dont think it is required.
The problems that can be there with AC are
- Lack of air flow and early cutoff of compressor. Generally due to dirt clogging the evaporator. For a proper cleaning, Dash has to be taken off. The evaporator is removed and washed. Gas is recovered and re-circulated.
- A/C Not cooling : May be Low gas pressure : Can be done without opening the dash. I guess lubricalnt is also added along with the gas.
- General cleaning : Have a good pressure wash of the condensor(radiator).

In any of these services, i don't think the compressor is opened and overhauled (ie. removing the pistons, lubricating & re-assembling) as a preventive measure. It is not needed also.

So, IMHO, if you are not facing any issues, then let it be
My Civic is also at close to 60K Kms and no issues or lack of cooling or airflow. So if my service advisor suggests an overhaul, i will turn him down.

Rgds
I have absolutely no issues with the AC. It cools well, even in this summer. I checked the service manual and the repair manual. I see nothing.

Of late I have learned to take what the SAs say with a pinch of salt. So, I do not blindly go by their word nowadays.

Exactly a year ago, they said that my battery was going bad and need to change it soon. I decided to wait. Six months ago, when I had given the car for service, I asked them to check the battery again. The SA called up to say that the battery is in very bad condition and has to go. I again said NO, and decided to wait until the day it refused to start. Today, again I asked to check the battery. Now the SA says that the battery is doing fine. Magic?

My front power window isn't working.The SA says that something called regulator and runchannel needs replacement. 11K plus tax plus labour. I am going to search outside before deciding. It is an irritant at toll booths and parking lots.
Old 9th April 2013, 18:47   #4289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
26K KMS down the line and my 08' S MT's clutch seems a little hard. Apart from that when pressed to the floor i have a little play in the first 20%. Also there a very prominent squeaky sound when changing gears like some kind of spring needs oiling. Can hear this from outside the car. Also the last 20% has a slight resistance before going completely to the floor.
To me seems like the hydraulic part of the clutch has worn out. Also looks like the clutch cable needs replacement.
OR
COMPLETE replacement. What cost are we looking at?
HASS will charge around 12k for complete replacement.
Old 10th April 2013, 07:20   #4290
Senior - BHPian

Could anyone tell me a good and reasonable tyre shop in south delhi? I want to get tyres fitted and alignment done. I usually stick to the service center but Southend motors mathura road only stock Goodyears

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks