Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2013, 18:45   #4381
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derezzed View Post

I am now facing an irritating problem: it was raining in Pune yesterday and my new driver side wiper blade is making a 'thud' noise when it reaches the extreme right position and is on its way down. It is not a squeaking noise but an actual thud as if the wiper is hitting the A-pillar. However I inspected it from the outside and the wiper has a normal range of motion. The thud sound comes, as I mentioned, when the wiper is at the extreme position of its range.

What could be the fix for this? The sound is pretty loud and even music at high volume fails to drown this thud. It is irritating and sounds pretty scary too.

Not very expensive for a Civic which costed 16L! A figo's front Logo costs Rs1200!

And 1600 for wipers? Why didn't you get Bosh Aero twins for Rs 900? they are very similar to the OEM.

AS for the wiper sound, have you tried cleaning the windshield properly?
Oil/ and other small dirt particles can cause this problem,
Captain Slow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2013, 18:54   #4382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Possible reasons :
  • Low on gas (refrigerant) : if cooling is always low, this is the probable cause. Could be due to leak in system. Solution : identify source of leak, fix it and recharge the gas.
  • A/C and/or blower relay over-heating and tripping, thereby not engaging the compressor.
The Arya Honda guys had replaced the relays, so I don't think that could be the problem any longer. They had also checked the refrigerant pressure which they said was fine. I guess i'll take it to a recommended AC chappie now.

That said, after typing my earlier post, I did a visual check in the engine bay and the AC Condenser looks pretty beat up. Would that be a probable cause?
Old 3rd June 2013, 19:00   #4383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
The Arya Honda guys had replaced the relays, so I don't think that could be the problem any longer. They had also checked the refrigerant pressure which they said was fine. I guess i'll take it to a recommended AC chappie now.

That said, after typing my earlier post, I did a visual check in the engine bay and the AC Condenser looks pretty beat up. Would that be a probable cause?

Check the Flan belt, I guess this might be a little lose, If it is not lose then chances are that the AC gas is low or there is a leak somewhere. Go to an good independent mech and get the piping checked .
Old 3rd June 2013, 19:54   #4384
Senior - BHPian

Hello Guys,

Need a quick advice. How is Apex Honda at Kurla, Mumbai?

Plan to give my car for service there tomorrow. Anything / anyone I should watch out for??

Thanks in advance...
2000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2013, 20:54   #4385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Not very expensive for a Civic which costed 16L! A figo's front Logo costs Rs1200!

And 1600 for wipers? Why didn't you get Bosh Aero twins for Rs 900? they are very similar to the OEM.

AS for the wiper sound, have you tried cleaning the windshield properly?
Oil/ and other small dirt particles can cause this problem,
I believe Bosch is OEM for Civic wipers. Aero Twins were installed but looks like they cost me a lot more from Honda.
Windshield was cleaned, sound is still persisting. Petrol heads on the interwebs say that the rubber blade should be at 90 degrees to the windshield surface. This would ease the rubber to trail behind the wiper arm at all times.
Going to try this tonight.

Last edited by Derezzed : 3rd June 2013 at 20:55. Reason: grammar
Old 3rd June 2013, 22:01   #4386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Hello Guys,

Need a quick advice. How is Apex Honda at Kurla, Mumbai?

Plan to give my car for service there tomorrow. Anything / anyone I should watch out for??

Thanks in advance...
All A.S.S are equal if you let your guard down.My advice if the SA presses for any expensive repair/replacement always seek a second opinion.Many times such repairs/replacements can be done at a fraction of the cost what a authorized service center will charge.
Old 3rd June 2013, 22:41   #4387
BHPian

OK. So I tested the wipers 5 minutes ago and here is the culprit: the wiper blade arm on the driver side is hitting against the body panel at the A-Pillar during the last portion of its upward swing.This leads to the thud noise and juddering from the wiper. Ideally the wiper blade should have stopped its upward swing and started its downward swing 2-3 cms away from the A-Pillar.
I bought my pre-owned Civic 3 weeks back and used the wipers for the first time 2 days ago when I replaced the wipers at Honda. After that is when I noticed the sound.

What can be done now? Would it involve any major changes to the wiper motor to reduce the range of the wiper sweep by 2-3 cms?
In fact the wiper assembly works fine with optimum strength, travel and range (extended range in my case).
Old 4th June 2013, 02:37   #4388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derezzed View Post
OK.
I bought my pre-owned Civic 3 weeks back and used the wipers for the first time 2 days ago when I replaced the wipers at Honda. After that is when I noticed the sound.

What can be done now? Would it involve any major changes to the wiper motor to reduce the range of the wiper sweep by 2-3 cms?
In fact the wiper assembly works fine with optimum strength, travel and range (extended range in my case).
Don't worry so much, one thing you can do is manually open the wiper arm and set it to 2-3cms lower on the driver side. If you can not do this then as a local mech. Its a 5 minutes job. A simple DIY if you know what you are doing.
Very similar to this.
http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/wiper1.htm

Option 2 - Get a new wiper blade that is 1-2Cm smaller. And This time get the aero twins from bosh don't depend on the @SS
Old 4th June 2013, 10:52   #4389
BHPian

my civic waded through water which was door sill height in the recent rain in bangalore. Water accumalated inside. Tried drying it with paper but the car stinks. Have left the car at Magnum Honda. Any help in this matter would be appreciated
Old 4th June 2013, 11:31   #4390
Senior - BHPian

Take the car to a interior cleaner. They have vacuum cleaners which will get the water out. However it will need some sunlight / drier to go completely dry.

Had a similar issue with my Palio and drying the water in Rainy season was next to impossible.
Old 5th June 2013, 07:43   #4391
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday morning I was just going through in my head how, as the car reaches 3 years with me in a couple of months, I have been lucky enough not to be involved in any mishap while driving. Things have happened when the car was parked, including one a few days back where someone banged into the rear bumper beneath the rear right fender and made it pop out slightly. Two clips broken and factory-fit impossible to achieve with current bumper, but this was when the car was parked.

So obviously, Murphy had to strike.

At one of the places I visit infrequently, I couldn't back out the car as fully as I normally would because of another car parked on the road (and not on the opposite kerb). So to drive off, I had to get back on my kerb again for a bit before getting back on to the road. Forgot/didn't notice that there is a *monstrous* manhole cover at the end of the kerb. This wouldn't be visible at all from the driver's seat. The front bumper cleared it (wonder how), the wheel bounced over it, but the driver's side rocker panel wasn't so lucky.

Can dents in the rocker panel be fixed? Would it require a lot of disassembling and reassembling? If yes, I'll probably hold off until after the monsoons (plan to get this done during the 40k kms service, just got the 35k kms service done a month back). How much should it cost?

Regards,
spadix
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-image2950914662.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-image3936700264.jpg  

spadix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2013, 10:50   #4392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
I couldn't back out the car as fully as I normally would because of another car parked on the road (and not on the opposite kerb). So to drive off, I had to get back on my kerb again for a bit before getting back on to the road. Forgot/didn't notice that there is a *monstrous* manhole cover at the end of the kerb.
Your incident makes me recollect my similiar experience a few years back (Jan 2010).
I went over a huge man-hole to avoid another parked car in a narrow street.

After a front started going over it there was this loud screeching noise!
Now I was stuck even if I reversed.
I was in horror-mode for a few seconds, but decided to go over it slowly with a lot of screeching!

When I inspected at the A.S.S, there were only minor visual damages underneath.
Some metal had bent.
But functionally there were no problems, I escaped!

Last edited by manim : 5th June 2013 at 10:52.
Old 5th June 2013, 22:11   #4393
BHPian

My Civic brake pads require replacement and the A S S wishes to rob me of all my money! So, can someone tell me which aftermarket pads I can go for and where I can get them in Chennai?

I have already contacted Namo Auto, Benz Auto and Mahavir Auto all on GP Road asking for Nissin brake pads but no one seems to have it in stock nor are they able to tell me for sure when they will get new stock.

I was told to check out Bosch which I will be doing tomorrow morning and I also came across TRW brake pads for the Civic here on the forum. I also read about this online store for Kashmere gate on the forum but I am not able to locate the name of the shop or the URL. Just the prices they quoted for the pads and rotors way back in 2011.

Can someone in Chennai give me a heads up on how to go about this? I will get the brake pads myself and give the car to Hi Rev or Ignite garage to get the discs skimmed and pads installed.
Old 5th June 2013, 22:35   #4394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsyde View Post
My Civic brake pads require replacement and the A S S wishes to rob me of all my money!
So how much did they quote?
Old 5th June 2013, 23:22   #4395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
So how much did they quote?
I got this on the phone and they said 32k for pads and rotors front and back. This is from Sundaram Honda. They highly recommend I replace the rotors and also say skimming is not advisable. The pads + labour + skimming alone they said will be around 20k.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks