Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2013, 14:38   #4411
BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
My Civic's mount gaps were reducing.For preventive maintenence i decided to get them changed this month.Had called up bhpian JatinPatel (WagenWerk, refer team-bhp directory).He took a test drive and found that it was not needed to be changed immediately so i decided to put it off for now.He however did say that my suspension is shot and would probably need a overhaul.I am putting that on hold as of now as well i really dont' have the dough.

I managed to snap a couple of pics of the mount which would have been replaced with if i had gone ahead with the change.Now this is not the genuine mount and i was quoted 4.8K for same and 750 bucks for the labor.But at almost half the price of the original Honda mount this would be be fine enough for a year or two.

Attachment 1094124

Notice the humongous gap between the metal and rubber parts something which is decreasing in my car.
Attachment 1094125
I had a problem with the mount in my car and got it changed free of cost from the A S S where I service my car regularly. Why don't you try that? There was a recall issued for the mounts of the pre-facelift cars if I'm not mistaken.
Old 8th June 2013, 17:44   #4412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsyde View Post
Though there is a chance what I have with me is fake I don't have other options for anything around this price point.
Good brakes are critical for your safely. Do yourself a favour and get the pads and rotors from some place where you are sure that you would not be ending up with a fake, which in this case is a Honda ASS. If you think that this ASS is trying to take you for a ride, then try another one.
Old 8th June 2013, 19:01   #4413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Good brakes are critical for your safely. Do yourself a favour and get the pads and rotors from some place where you are sure that you would not be ending up with a fake, which in this case is a Honda ASS. If you think that this ASS is trying to take you for a ride, then try another one.
I absolutely agree with you when it comes to safety. But spending 13.2k on pads from the A S S seems unnecessary to me. I could order performance pads from online get them shipped to my place and still have change to spare.

I am in half a mind wanting to exchange the Nissins I have with Roulunds that are alternatively available. Though they seem legit there aren't too many reviews about their products.

Is it not possible that the pads I have are imported from Thailand or Japan?

Is every Civic owner on the forum going to the A S S for brake pad replacement?
Old 8th June 2013, 20:07   #4414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had a problem with the mount in my car and got it changed free of cost from the A S S where I service my car regularly. Why don't you try that? There was a recall issued for the mounts of the pre-facelift cars if I'm not mistaken.
Free replacement's only for cars less than 5 years old.Mine is jan 07 model. Anyways i don't need it soon.
Old 8th June 2013, 20:24   #4415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Free replacement's only for cars less than 5 years old.Mine is jan 07 model. Anyways i don't need it soon.
Oh that's too bad. I didn't know about the 5 year thing. Anyway looks like you don't need to worry about that now.

With regards to brake pads, I just came to know from some other forums Roulunds Braking are the OEM for many Volvo Cars. In fact their brake pads are largely manufactured in the plant in Haryana.
Old 8th June 2013, 22:53   #4416
BHPian

Quote:
I don't agree on your theory of Honda never writing its vendors name. I have seem many parts of Honda sold in the A S S with the vendors name clearly written on the product. And this is not just with Honda, I have seen many Toyota parts coming from the A S S with the vendors name on it.

Though there is a chance what I have with me is fake I don't have other options for anything around this price point. The only other thing I can think of is Roulunds Pads which will cost me around Rs.3200/- a pair. These are manufactured in India and come with a proper box which says Roulunds Braking and an MRP/Manufactured by sticker. The only thing I am not sure is the performance of these pads.

OE from the A S S is Rs.13200/- for the set. And I flatly refuse to believe they will provide me with 3 times the stopping power of the Nissins I have or 4 times that of Roulunds.

So whats your suggestion? Stick with the Nissins in hand or exchange them Roulunds?

Currently am Using Roulunds pads in the front and back previously was using Nissin difference in braking hardly noticeable.

And i have not faced any brake dust or brake noise problems yet i have done close to 5k on the front and rear pads.

the front and rear set costed me some Rs.2700
Old 8th June 2013, 23:33   #4417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
Currently am Using Roulunds pads in the front and back previously was using Nissin difference in braking hardly noticeable.

And i have not faced any brake dust or brake noise problems yet i have done close to 5k on the front and rear pads.

the front and rear set costed me some Rs.2700
So I think that settles it. Instead of wondering if the pads I have now are fake or not I am just going to return them and get Roulunds for the front and rear. That way I can be sure the product is original and save some cash!
Old 9th June 2013, 12:58   #4418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was in Bangalore last weekend but I am back in Chennai now. Thanks for offering to help me out with this but I am not sure if the Nissin pads in Bangalore are going to be much different.

I paid Rs.4800/- for both. I will surely put up side by side comparison pics when I am getting them installed which will be Monday.

So whats your take on this? Should I stick with the Nissins in hand or should I get Roulunds?
Roulunds it is! Keep us updated on this and try and get snaps of the old/ new pads.
What oil filters are you guys using? the one from the @.S.S or something else?
I want to know if a Delphi or some other OEM is available for oil filter? As original parts are getting really expensive for us at least.
Old 9th June 2013, 14:48   #4419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Roulunds it is! Keep us updated on this and try and get snaps of the old/ new pads.
What oil filters are you guys using? the one from the @.S.S or something else?
I want to know if a Delphi or some other OEM is available for oil filter? As original parts are getting really expensive for us at least.
I usually go to the A S S for my oil change and I use the filter they give me along with Idemitsu Synthetic oil. Since my oil change intervals are 10k kms only I don't bother with getting oil filters from the open market. I can check and tell you who the OEM is.

And yes pictures of the current brake pads are sure in order!
Old 10th June 2013, 11:08   #4420
Senior - BHPian

Someone please confirm when we use high beam (dipper or headlight), low beam lights are also ON?

This is the case in my Civic and if it is so, it means low beam lights are always ON if we use low beam, high beam or dipper. I find it strange.
Old 10th June 2013, 12:22   #4421
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Someone please confirm when we use high beam (dipper or headlight), low beam lights are also ON?

This is the case in my Civic and if it is so, it means low beam lights are always ON if we use low beam, high beam or dipper. I find it strange.
Hi Mukesh,

It depends on car to car. In most premium cars high beam means additional vision over and above the low beam. So yes low beam is always on as high beam adds to your vision in case there are no street lights on the road.

In low end cars, for example OHC, the the beam merely shifts from low to high. Thus it does not add to your vision necessarily. It actually becomes quite inconvenient in such cases as the immediate road ahead isn't as clearly visible in high beam.

Hope this helps
Bluebeem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2013, 14:13   #4422
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
... This is the case in my Civic and if it is so, it means low beam lights are always ON if we use low beam, high beam or dipper. I find it strange.
This is the way it is in my 2009 Civic as well. I find it better this way, due to the reasons mentioned by Bluebeem above.
Blue Thunder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2013, 14:29   #4423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeem View Post
Hi Mukesh,

It depends on car to car. In most premium cars high beam means additional vision over and above the low beam. So yes low beam is always on as high beam adds to your vision in case there are no street lights on the road.

In low end cars, for example OHC, the the beam merely shifts from low to high. Thus it does not add to your vision necessarily. It actually becomes quite inconvenient in such cases as the immediate road ahead isn't as clearly visible in high beam.

Hope this helps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
This is the way it is in my 2009 Civic as well. I find it better this way, due to the reasons mentioned by Bluebeem above.
Thank you guys. I had not heard this theory before so found it strange.

It is certainly better this way. It also helps if high beam bulb(s) is fuse and you need to use dipper. At least some light will come from both sides.

What is the best source to get 9005 (HB3) and 9006 (HB4) Osram Night Breaker Plus (or equivalent Philips) bulbs in India ?

Last edited by mukeshgoel : 10th June 2013 at 14:36.
mukeshgoel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2013, 07:24   #4424
BHPian

Can someone confirm the size of wiper blade for civic. Also looks like Bosch Aerotwin has been discontinued, which is the other brand available and it's price. I called up Shetty Motors yesterday and they said Syndicate ones are available for Civic and the cost is 1000/-. I don't know which model of syndicate is available for Civic as their website also doesn't have any details.
Old 11th June 2013, 10:52   #4425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkum View Post
Can someone confirm the size of wiper blade for civic. Also looks like Bosch Aerotwin has been discontinued, which is the other brand available and it's price. I called up Shetty Motors yesterday and they said Syndicate ones are available for Civic and the cost is 1000/-. I don't know which model of syndicate is available for Civic as their website also doesn't have any details.
Hella has started to market their wiper blades. Saw it recently in a car accessory shop. They call it by a different name but look similar to aerotwin

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks