Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2013, 11:24   #4456
BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Now I am quite happy or rather delighted with it. You cannot have a very good feedback and a light steering at the same time. The razor sharp response of a Civic is to be savoured.
+1 to it. I have driven Civic earlier but drove it for a long distance for the first time yesterday; loved it's responsive and precise steering.
Old 19th June 2013, 19:27   #4457
BHPian

Hello All,

My brother, who also has a Civic, got a spare remote key made for his car from a tiny shop in Lucknow last month.

All it took was one hour. 3500/-.

Cloning or something.

The key is as good as an original.

Such shops must exist in all big cities, I think.

Pl look for one If the need arises.
Old 19th June 2013, 19:38   #4458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
My brother, who also has a Civic, got a spare remote key made for his car from a tiny shop in Lucknow last month.

All it took was one hour. 3500/-.

Cloning or something.

The key is as good as an original.
But I thought that apart from the physical-key-shape there is also an electronic-code (built inside the key) which is hard to duplicate? then do these shops do this also?

Because if your statement is true, the Civic can be stolen easily? (by someone who has access to your keys even for a short time like parking-attendants, drivers, etc)

Last edited by manim : 19th June 2013 at 19:40.
manim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2013, 20:49   #4459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
But I thought that apart from the physical-key-shape there is also an electronic-code (built inside the key) which is hard to duplicate? then do these shops do this also?

Because if your statement is true, the Civic can be stolen easily? (by someone who has access to your keys even for a short time like parking-attendants, drivers, etc)
I think they also need a code from the Onboard Computer, which is quite easy to locate and specialized equipment to read the code and program the key with the code.

So yes, in principle parking attendants or anyone can do it if they have your car keys and the equipment - which is not terribly difficult to procure - for an hour or two.

Which is why I never hand-over to a parking attendant even at posh hotel valets and our family chauffeur is valued more for his honesty than car maintenance skills.
gomzi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2013, 21:03   #4460
BHPian

Quote:

Hello,

Welcome.

I forgot to mention that the person also needed access to the car, for about five minutes, for cloning the codes I suppose.

And yes. Anyone who has your key for one hour, and your car also, can easily clone the key.

Last edited by skdking : 19th June 2013 at 21:13.
skdking is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2013, 21:29   #4461
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
Hi,

I bought a used Civic (S MT, 2006 make, 65000 KMs done) yesterday... Any idea how much these two cost if bought from Honda?

Nitin
Do yourself a favor and get all these problems fixed / attended to from good independent garage. HASS like any other knows only how to replace things and not fix them.You would get everything roughly 50% less the cost for at-least labor outside than at Honda.

Quote:
Because if your statement is true, the Civic can be stolen easily?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post

So yes, in principle parking attendants or anyone can do it if they have your car keys and the equipment - which is not terribly difficult to procure - for an hour or two.
Quote:
I suppose.

And yes. Anyone who has your key for one hour, and your car also, can easily clone the key.
Guys in these days of rising fuel prices and the Civic's not so stellar fuel economy and low resale , I don't think it would be a profitable option for anyone to steal one.Jokes apart i am glad i have a extra anti-theft device along with the Civic's supposedly robust security system.
Old 19th June 2013, 21:56   #4462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anyone who has your key for one hour, and your car also, can easily clone the key.
I doubt that. Since the transponder from the key responds with a different code each time when it comes within the EMF of the Ignition Switch, which then gets authenticated by Immo ECU. Well this is how the classic immobilizers work.
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2013, 22:43   #4463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
I doubt that. Since the transponder from the key responds with a different code each time when it comes within the EMF of the Ignition Switch, which then gets authenticated by Immo ECU. Well this is how the classic immobilizers work.
Precisely. So it isn't all that easy. if you've lost your key, the key learning routine can take anything between 15 mins to 2 hours. That's speaking from experience when I lost my Punto's remote key. Rolling code immobilizers are safe. For a thief, it's easier to show you a knife and steal it than try to bypass technology. Or else he has to tow your car.

But since it's too much of a hassle and there are far too many cars in india with barely any security, it's highly unlikely.
Old 20th June 2013, 09:43   #4464
BHPian

Any help on these two points?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
2. The left ORVM behaves erratically. It'll fold out by the button, but would not retract. Can ORVMs be repaired or would I have to replace the whole unit?

3. The front passenger window-glass behaves erratically. a. It can be operated from passenger side switch, but not from driver-side. b. It's slow and sometimes get stuck and needs to be pushed up by hand. Can it be repaired?
Old 20th June 2013, 10:31   #4465
BHPian

Any option besides OEM Honda wipers (cost 1k, not so good) or Bosch aero twin (2.2k) for the civic?
Old 20th June 2013, 12:35   #4466
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
You cannot have a very good feedback and a light steering at the same time. The razor sharp response of a Civic is to be savoured.
Absolutely. Cannot agree more with you on this. I just love the way the Civic steers. I get to drive my wife's new A-Star Automatic and find the EPS too light and not providing the same response as my Civic.
Old 20th June 2013, 13:03   #4467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
You must be right.

I still wonder how that fellow managed to produce the key right in front of me.
Old 20th June 2013, 13:20   #4468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Do yourself a favor and get all these problems fixed / attended to from good independent garage.
Any recommendations for good independent garages in (a) Bangalore and (b) Chennai?
Old 20th June 2013, 13:51   #4469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
Any option besides OEM Honda wipers (cost 1k, not so good) or Bosch aero twin (2.2k) for the civic?
You would get some local-made ones but AFAIK even they cost around Rs. 800 for the pair.
Old 20th June 2013, 13:59   #4470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You must be right.

I still wonder how that fellow managed to produce the key right in front of me.
Did he make any electronics in front of you?
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed