Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2013, 22:40   #4531
Senior - BHPian

Someone had a issue with their tranny's d light which was resolved i think by a simple transmission oil flush.This very thread has the details,please search for same.I hope your issue gets resolved the same way.
Old 28th June 2013, 22:56   #4532
BHPian

Civic AT gear ratios

Since mine is also an AT I am getting concerned!
Waiting for more details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devsoftech View Post
Can someone figure out which gear was that - I was doing 75-80 at 3000 rpm and 100 at 4000 rpm.
In Third-gear:
103 kmph is at 4000 rpm.
3000 rpm makes 77 kmph.

Here are the geat ratios in the AT:

Gear - Kmph/1000rpm
1 - 9.89
2 - 17.19
3 - 25.82
4 - 36.63
5 - 50.34
(From OverDrive magazine September-2006)
(I have these numbers in a spreadsheet to quickly calculate speed for a rpm or vice-versa).

Last edited by manim : 28th June 2013 at 22:58.
manim is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2013, 10:04   #4533
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Today I join the club of blinking 'D' light issue.

Fingers crossed for a economical resolution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Someone had a issue with their tranny's d light which was resolved i think by a simple transmission oil flush.This very thread has the details,please search for same.I hope your issue gets resolved the same way.
Here's the linky i guess the sensor had a issue.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3074178
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2013, 11:14   #4534
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Today I join the club of blinking 'D' light issue.

Could be some problem with solenoid. He went for another test drive with laptop and honda diagnostics connected. He is suspecting an issue with pressure sensor (now what is this part ??).
Your Honda engineer could be right. Since it was mentioned that there is no noticeable issues at higher speed (where ideally the i/p pump and o/p transmission are almost turning at tandem in the torque converter) and the lifelessness is there at slow speeds, it looks like the pressure sensors might have got problems in determining the fluid pressure to couple the i/p and o/p at low speeds (Since there is no direct coupling in Honda's torque converter, this is usually helped with the pressure differentiators which helps determining the lock up clutch to activate or not. This particular thing misbehaving can also cause the jerks as this is the only thing that has a direct contact between the engine and the transmission when engaged).

Prolonged but abrupt high load on the torque converter can cause the fluid to operate in very high temperature which can cause some sensor malfunctioning, which in turn can cause the clutch plate to misfire the off/on.

Please read Harbir's post on Honda's torque converter, if interested, for more detailed information.

Having said this, I still hope, yours is just a 'wiring' issue like the previous person in this forum

[EDIT]: Found Harbir's post link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...omatic-14.html

Last edited by sarathlal : 29th June 2013 at 11:40. Reason: Adding the reference link
sarathlal is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2013, 13:23   #4535
BHPian

Experts, Need your advice please.

When I turn my steering at parking speeds, I'm hearing a very slight grr sound from the steering. Also, steering is a bit tight. Does this indicate the power steering pump failure?

Because, I guess the power steering makes that sound if the oil level is less. and the oil level generally doesn't decrease until there is some leak in the pump.

Am I right? If so, can any one tell me what will be the approx. cost for the repair?

And please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 29th June 2013, 17:36   #4536
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav14 View Post

When I turn my steering at parking speeds, I'm hearing a very slight grr sound from the steering. Also, steering is a bit tight. Does this indicate the power steering pump failure?

Because, I guess the power steering makes that sound if the oil level is less. and the oil level generally doesn't decrease until there is some leak in the pump.

Am I right? If so, can any one tell me what will be the approx. cost for the repair?

I ain't no expert but just putting in my experience.

Is the sound coming generally during cold starts ? Is the PS oil level between low and full marks or is it below the low mark? Is the serpentine belt smeared with oil ? Please for check above indications when the engine is off.A PS overhaul would cost 10.5K at HASS. Most probably if there is a leak it would be one of the feeder hoses.The one i had to change costed 10K at HASS while i managed to get it done from outside at just 5.2K for the hose plus labour & oil.Suggest getting the car checked from a competent garage rather than HASS as they would milk money.Don't delay if there is leak as replacing a PS pump is a expensive affair.My mechanic simply determined the leak by feeling the hose for oil leakages/wetness.

Good Luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
A friend of mine has a 2008 Civic with about 40,000km on the clock. The power steering has developed a small leak. The pump seems to be Ok. One hose was changed, this fixed the leak for some time. Now it is leaking again from some other place. Please advise. The dealer seems to be at sixes and sevens.
What's the update on this sir ?

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 29th June 2013 at 17:39.
Old 29th June 2013, 18:00   #4537
BHPian

Quote:

I have this issue in cold starts, and steering feel is slightly heavy. Service advisor had said that slight "grrr" humming during cold start is normal and I had wider tyres (205/65R15) - That made steering heavier. He said that when we put wider tyres, steering system should be recalibrated (Anyone who has done it, and how ?). Anyways, this whole thing is trivial to me as HSS never raised any alarm whenever I'll talk of these issues. They did not report any leakage either. My guess is you can ignore this if you have an upsized tyre. I'm living with it for past one year, so it should be fine. If in this earth a recalibration exists, lets try it out and see if it resolves this 'grrr'. I'll be heartbroken to discover that this also is an issue.

I've put in a new cylinder head, new engine mount, new auto-tensioner, new tyres, new belt, new fender linings, new thermostat, hacked head unit (disabled+removed defective CD changer for AUX). Lets see what else needs to be replenished. Please do not get me wrong or generalize my failures, probably I've got a lemon of my own kind, but I love this car and I find it reliable despite being so old. Some of them had to be anyways replaced owing to its age.

With so many new things in place, I'm considering re-painting the car in matt black and get a pair of new headlamps (stock one is very dull now, do not focus well and very weak lights)

Now update on my 'D' light blinking:
Car has to remain at service station till Monday (They are off tomorrow), and root cause is not yet zeroed on. Thanks for all of your inputs, and after reading the previous posts, I'm much comfortable.
Old 29th June 2013, 22:12   #4538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Is the sound being heard at all time, or only when you make a complete turn?
Since Civic uses hydro pumps for steering, it indeed makes a small discomfort once the turn is completed and we still hold on.
In the manual it is mentioned not to do this continuously as this could affect the pump.
Old 30th June 2013, 00:32   #4539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
Hey Highflyer, I guess your post was in reference to ntomer's post that I replied to!
That's right Ace F355. Sorry for that. I should have quoted the original post on the issue and not your reply.
Old 30th June 2013, 10:35   #4540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Is the sound coming generally during cold starts ? Is the PS oil level between low and full marks or is it below the low mark? Is the serpentine belt smeared with oil ? Please for check above indications when the engine is off
Not only in cold starts. Every time I observe, in low speeds when I'm turning a half round that roughness is evident. I've checked the belt and oil level, and both are fine. I guess I should get it checked by a mechanic once.

Quote:
Service advisor had said that slight "grrr" humming during cold start is normal and I had wider tyres (205/65R15) - That made steering heavier. He said that when we put wider tyres, steering system should be recalibrated.

My guess is you can ignore this if you have an upsized tyre. I'm living with it for past one year, so it should be fine.

I've put in a new cylinder head, new engine mount, new auto-tensioner, new tyres, new belt, new fender linings, new thermostat, hacked head unit (disabled+removed defective CD changer for AUX). Lets see what else needs to be replenished. Please do not get me wrong or generalize my failures, probably I've got a lemon of my own kind, but I love this car and I find it reliable despite being so old. Some of them had to be anyways replaced owing to its age.
I'm using 195/65 R15 tyres which are stock tyres for Civic and still getting it. And re-calibration for upsizing tyres? I'm hearing for the first time.

What's the age and mileage of your car? And how much did you spend on all those things? Mine is 80k run. Guess even I should be prepared for heavy costs then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Is the sound being heard at all time, or only when you make a complete turn?
Since Civic uses hydro pumps for steering, it indeed makes a small discomfort once the turn is completed and we still hold on.
In the manual it is mentioned not to do this continuously as this could affect the pump.
At regular low speeds, the sound is not evident. It comes only at very low speeds (<10 kmph). Also, when I take a U turn and release the steering, it is not coming back smoothly, rather it is coming in a step wise manner (hope you understand what I'm saying).

Generally in my experience with other cars, that happens only if the oil level is low or there is any leak, but oil level is fine in my car and I couldn't find any leaks. May be HSS should be able to find the problem.
Old 4th July 2013, 10:36   #4541
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post

4. Press 4 again and keep it pressed for another couple of seconds while DSP turns OFF.
This step can be skipped. Still works. I used to do the step 4 for a long time but discovered that it is not really needed. Try it out.
Old 4th July 2013, 12:41   #4542
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patron

This step can be skipped. Still works. I used to do the step 4 for a long time but discovered that it is not really needed. Try it out.
Oh I didn't know it. Thanks for pointing it out. Although I don't need it now as I am enjoying the spoils of blowing a huge pile of cash on ICEing my Civic.
Old 4th July 2013, 18:48   #4543
BHPian

Quote:
I'm using 195/65 R15 tyres which are stock tyres for Civic and still getting it. And re-calibration for upsizing tyres? I'm hearing for the first time.

What's the age and mileage of your car? And how much did you spend on all those things? Mine is 80k run. Guess even I should be prepared for heavy costs then.
Aug 2006 model, with 58000 kms on ODO. Don't get tensed buddy, my expenses are specific to my luck. As you will flip back, the expenses are shared in previous pages. I can IM you if you need the breakup.

Btw, I got the shocker today. Service station said they swapped Oil pressure sensors from other AT car, and the issue was still there.

They have drilled down the issue to the following (Even without dismantling the transmission ):
1. Main Valve Body
2. Regulator Body
3. Servo Body

These guys are so lazy that they want to replace above three systems with new units (instead of overhauling). Estimated cost is 1.2 lakh.
I have said them to not order the above parts unless overhaul is done. Parts are not available with these guys, and can take 7-15 days to procure from Noida.

I checked out a US site (hondapartscheap.com)
http://www.hondapartscheap.com/parts...sion-automatic

If I add 30% customs, still it does not add up to 1.2 lakh. The advisor was also saying that a clutch (3 systems) replacement for AT is done at 80k. I went through this thread, no one has done it. These guys are also saying that my car is first instance with this issue and they are clueless about this.

I also got a advice to stall the car by hitting a stone, so that insurance can cover this. I am not going insurance route at any cost. Since 2006 I have never invoked insurance, and I want to stay that way. I'm not convinced that I should put 1 lakh for a simple failure.
Can someone please advice if the pressure sensor can be easily swapped without dismantling the transmission setup. I have an intuition that these guys are giving random feedback and just talking without doing any real work. Since the car is old I don't mind swapping with new parts - but not unnecessarily. Only the required parts. Also, if someone can help explaining me the role of above 3 parts that have been recommended to me for swap.
Old 4th July 2013, 21:53   #4544
Senior - BHPian

For all the Honda fans out there

Old 4th July 2013, 22:48   #4545
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Aug 2006 model, with 58000 kms on ODO. Don't get tensed buddy, my expenses are specific to my luck. As you will flip back, the expenses are shared in previous pages. I can IM you if you need the breakup.

Btw, I got the shocker today. Service station said they swapped Oil pressure sensors from other AT car, and the issue was still there.

They have drilled down the issue to the following (Even without dismantling the transmission ):
1. Main Valve Body
2. Regulator Body
3. Servo Body

These guys are so lazy that they want to replace above three systems with new units (instead of overhauling). Estimated cost is 1.2 lakh.
I have said them to not order the above parts unless overhaul is done. Parts are not available with these guys, and can take 7-15 days to procure from Noida.

I checked out a US site (hondapartscheap.com)
http://www.hondapartscheap.com/parts...sion-automatic

If I add 30% customs, still it does not add up to 1.2 lakh. The advisor was also saying that a clutch (3 systems) replacement for AT is done at 80k. I went through this thread, no one has done it. These guys are also saying that my car is first instance with this issue and they are clueless about this.

I also got a advice to stall the car by hitting a stone, so that insurance can cover this. I am not going insurance route at any cost. Since 2006 I have never invoked insurance, and I want to stay that way. I'm not convinced that I should put 1 lakh for a simple.
I think you ought to take your car to an independent reputed garage for a second opinion

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks