Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2012, 07:14   #3631
BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

My 2007 Civic, which has clocked about 25K only so far, started juddering and shuddering last week. At first, I could only feel this while reversing the car in the morning. I was dreading that something was wrong with the transmission but later realised it was the dreaded engine mount that needed to be replaced. Mournfully I headed to the Magnum Honda, Yeswanthpur Service Centre to have it replaced. When the Service Advisor mentioned that it would be replaced under warranty, I recalled reading about this in s.prashanth's posts earlier, and I was suddenly filled with hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.prashanth View Post
Was informed that the engine bedding is being changed as per Honda directions even in cars outside warranty.My car was also outside warranty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
Am i getting it wrong?

Can you please tell us what exactly was changed under warranty and what did you pay for?

Basically i just want to be sure that i am not missing out on something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.prashanth View Post
The engine mounting was changed under warranty. Eventhough my car was out of warranty .I was surprised, later informed it is as per Honda directions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun Venugopal View Post
Its good that Honda is taking proactive steps like this. Did you have a chance to find out whether these directions are for any particular model years.
Quote:
So i am guessing that this should apply to all regions and all Civics sold irrespective of the year. which year is your car?

Unfortunately i have already changed my mount and i was asked to pay for it. Hope nothing happens to it again, but if it does i surly dont want to pay for it if what you are saying is true for all.
[/b]
To answer Arun and KSM's queries above, it appears that they are replacing engine mounts (if the vehicle truly needs a replacement) if the Civic was sold within the last five years. I was lucky that I had a couple of months to go before my car turned five.

Despite some confusion about the date of purchase (and the fact that I had purchased the pre-owned Civic 2 years ago from Honda's Auto Terrace programme, which only offered a 1-year warranty on engine and transmission) and an inevitable delay, the SA later confirmed that the mount would be replaced under warranty. Cost of replacement (including labour) = 0/- (effectively saving 8,500/-).

Oh, it feels so good to get something done at HASS without paying a penny .
kranti is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2012, 09:21   #3632
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post

In all probability you'll have to refill the AC gas. If so I guess 2K will be the charges for that. So my guess is that 6K includes that costs as well. As you can see the AC part was removed completely to access the rat hole.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammycoolster View Post
Ok, got the vehicle back. Here are the charges:

Dashboard dismantling: 3500
A\C Gas refilling: 1690
Rat Mesh: 390
Wire soldering: 150
So after all the price quoted by HASS as 6K was quite clear. The AC gas filling was anyways required. I think the quote was reasonable, unless some roadside garages agree to strip the dash for cheap - I guess nobody will resort to that for some penny savings!
Old 10th August 2012, 10:58   #3633
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Please check the Power steering fluid reservoir and keep an eye on the same daily by noting the fluid levels.The PS gets noisy when it get's low on fluid.If the level of fluid is the same you could rule out any leak etc.Best get it inspected by a trusted mechanic.
Thanks ! Will check it out today.

I was wondering if it could be due to bad CV joints. I will get this aspect checked too, next week.

The driver side window has had a slight jerky initial movement for the last few months. This is perceptible when rolling down. Showed it to HASS. The mechanic had a look at it and even without opening the door pad, recommended replacing the power window assembly. The part costs around 10K. It has been ordered and will be changed under extended warranty next week.
Old 10th August 2012, 11:18   #3634
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kranti View Post

To answer Arun and KSM's queries above, it appears that they are replacing engine mounts (if the vehicle truly needs a replacement) if the Civic was sold within the last five years. I was lucky that I had a couple of months to go before my car turned five.

Despite some confusion about the date of purchase (and the fact that I had purchased the pre-owned Civic 2 years ago from Honda's Auto Terrace programme, which only offered a 1-year warranty on engine and transmission) and an inevitable delay, the SA later confirmed that the mount would be replaced under warranty. Cost of replacement (including labour) = 0/- (effectively saving 8,500/-).

This is news, i have already replaced my mount and also paid for it

Can you help us with some documents for us to be able to approach the HASS.
Old 10th August 2012, 17:14   #3635
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Thanks ! Will check it out today.

I was wondering if it could be due to bad CV joints. I will get this aspect checked too, next week.

The driver side window has had a slight jerky initial movement for the last few months. This is perceptible when rolling down. Showed it to HASS. The mechanic had a look at it and even without opening the door pad, recommended replacing the power window assembly. The part costs around 10K. It has been ordered and will be changed under extended warranty next week.
Yes CV joints are also possible to have gone bust.It will be better if you get them inspected as it can cause major repairs later.At HASS i was quoted ~1.8K for joints (ie boots) and 2K labor for changing same.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2012, 11:20   #3636
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Please see http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2861368
Old 12th August 2012, 05:57   #3637
BANNED

Quote:
My 2007 Civic, which has clocked about 25K only so far, started juddering and shuddering last week. At first, I could only feel this while reversing the car in the morning. I was dreading that something was wrong with the transmission but later realised it was the dreaded engine mount that needed to be replaced. Mournfully I headed to the Magnum Honda, Yeswanthpur Service Centre to have it replaced. When the Service Advisor mentioned that it would be replaced under warranty, I recalled reading about this in s.prashanth's posts earlier, and I was suddenly filled with hope.

You are one of the few lucky ones.

I have paid and got the mounts changed about 1.5 years ago, definitely much before the car turned 5. Is there any process to claim a refund or credit for future work? Will HASS do this?

CIVIC has been one of the mist troublesome car we have ever owned. I think the Ambassador was far better, even at its worst.
Old 12th August 2012, 23:30   #3638
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepgarg View Post
CIVIC has been one of the mist troublesome car we have ever owned. I think the Ambassador was far better, even at its worst.
Can you list down all the problem faced for the interest of this community? We would definitely like to know, and if possible take preventive actions.
Old 13th August 2012, 06:24   #3639
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Can you list down all the problem faced for the interest of this community? We would definitely like to know, and if possible take preventive actions.
I bought the car in Sept. 2012, and have done more than 135000 km in it.

Anyway, I will give a gist:

1. Uneven tyre wear problem in the begining (i-riverwear), Excessive tyre wear still there, never more than 30000 km on highway.

2. Suspension would go thump over every smallest pothole.

3. Excessively low GC. Scrapes everything. Have to get down and cross even the smallest of speed breakers.

4. Serpentine belt broke twice due to tensioner problems, and this also caused electric malfunction of window switch, after I had to tow the car both the times.

5. Excessive wear of brake pads, even though 90-95% Highway.

6. Wiper blade chatter marks.

7. Engine mount problem.

8. AC problem some time back, after a lot of research loctaed to a caput relay in the fuse box under the hood. The relay was not marked on their service booklet or the fusebox cover. Took the service personnel a lot of time to locate.

The spare parts are not available in the market. Even the horn is located in such a way that the entire bumper has to be removed, so can't really get it down outside the Honda service center.

I am never sure of the woykability of the car in perfect condition. The OHCs (1 have 3, 1 now totaled in an accident) never gave any trouble.

They also have very low dealer / service network, even after so many years. In Ajmer, we have 2 Hyundai, 2 Maruti, Toyota, Chevrolet, 2 Tata, Mahindra, Volkswagen & Ford dealers, but no Honda. So always troublesome to service.

Pros.: Still the most beautiful car in its segment. (though petrol only engine has all but killed it).

Last edited by GTO : 13th August 2012 at 09:51. Reason: We do NOT permit the same member to have two handles
Old 13th August 2012, 09:35   #3640
BHPian

Quote:
September 2012

I own a 2008 Civic (MT), and I have not faced even one of the problems that you have listed here.
Old 13th August 2012, 09:44   #3641
BANNED

Sorry, should have been Sept. 2006.

These problems that I am quoting are a part of my service record with the company and can be verified.

in fact there are a lot of other persons with similar, if not all, the problems. You are a lucky person.

I have 3 OHCs (2 still running perfectly, 1 accidentally damaged in Jan,), since Sept. 2001. EXCEPTIONALLY good vehicles.
Old 13th August 2012, 10:26   #3642
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Anyway, I will give a gist:

1. Uneven tyre wear problem in the begining (i-riverwear), Excessive tyre wear still there, never more than 30000 km on highway.

2. Suspension would go thump over every smallest pothole.

3. Excessively low GC. Scrapes everything. Have to get down and cross even the smallest of speed breakers.

4. Serpentine belt broke twice due to tensioner problems, and this also caused electric malfunction of window switch, after I had to tow the car both the times.

5. Excessive wear of brake pads, even though 90-95% Highway.

6. Wiper blade chatter marks.

7. Engine mount problem.

8. AC problem some time back, after a lot of research loctaed to a caput relay in the fuse box under the hood. The relay was not marked on their service booklet or the fusebox cover. Took the service personnel a lot of time to locate.

The spare parts are not available in the market. Even the horn is located in such a way that the entire bumper has to be removed, so can't really get it down outside the Honda service center.

I am never sure of the woykability of the car in perfect condition. The OHCs (1 have 3, 1 now totaled in an accident) never gave any trouble.

They also have very low dealer / service network, even after so many years. In Ajmer, we have 2 Hyundai, 2 Maruti, Toyota, Chevrolet, 2 Tata, Mahindra, Volkswagen & Ford dealers, but no Honda. So always troublesome to service.

Pros.: Still the most beautiful car in its segment. (though petrol only engine has all but killed it).
My experience:
1. Not really experienced this. In fact OEM tyres are notorious for not lasting more than 3 years /30k km. Otherwise no abnormal tyre wear.

2. Low speed ride is known issue.

3. Is a problem with most sedans. Change tyres to 205/65 R15 - Magical improvement in low speed ride, GC increases, grip, braking all improve.

4. Same problem faced by me. Three times actually. After last repair 2 years ago seems to be stable now.

5. Not faced by me. In fact I have AT and brakes still going strong at 30k km.

6. You need to change the rubber as well as blade housing the rubber. Not very expensive. Because the blade housing is rubber, it tends to get hard in our harsh summers. That creates problems for the rubber as well.

7. Faced by me - again three times actually. Only once I still had to pay for it. Now seems ok.

The first 2- 3 years were problematic with quite low running. But now in last 2-3 years, with higher running it is very smooth and reliable, touch wood...!!! And FE seems to continue to improve.
Old 13th August 2012, 10:35   #3643
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For a car that has been driven 1,35,000 kms, I dont think these issues are a big deal. Probem #1 seems to be due to poor wheel alignment, #2 and #3 are known issues and there are remedies, #4 serpentine belt, may be known, read some issues on serpentine belt here #5 could be because of driving style, #6 looks silly, you are expected to change them when they start scratching, #7 is known issue and now apparently they fix it free of cost, #8 seems to be an issue with knowledge of service personnel and next seems to be a localized issue as I find Honda ASCs in most places here.

Overall the post seems a bit of a troll. Why would one drive a car for that much if he had so much problem? Comparing it to Ambassador, wow..
Old 21st August 2012, 17:36   #3644
BHPian

Sorry about the delay in responding. I was away traveling.

Quote:
This is news, i have already replaced my mount and also paid for it

Can you help us with some documents for us to be able to approach the HASS.
Unfortunately, all the info I gathered was through oral communication with the helpful staff at Magnum Honda, Yeshwantpur.

Quote:
You are one of the few lucky ones.

I have paid and got the mounts changed about 1.5 years ago, definitely much before the car turned 5. Is there any process to claim a refund or credit for future work? Will HASS do this?

No doubt, I was lucky.

I don't think Honda will refund or give credit to be used against future work, but we won't know for sure unless someone tries.

On a very different note, I drove from Bangalore to Hyderabad and back last week. Was a lovely drive in the Civic on a lovely road (mostly). Noticed a stark difference in mileage. Shell Super gave me a mileage of 18kmpl while HP's ordinary petrol gave me 13 kmpl. Sigh! There were no Shell pumps en route.
Old 24th August 2012, 17:09   #3645
BHPian

Quote:

Hi Kranti

I'm also facing shuddering/vibration from engine while accelerating in my civic. I've been told by HASS that two engine mountings have to be replaced. When I argued with them they offered to replace one mounting FOC and asked me to pay for the other. I've forwarded them a link to your post regarding FOC replacement of engine mountings in your car and have demanded that they replace both engine mountings FOC. Lets see how it goes.

Thanks so much for posting this information as I wouldn't have known about the FOC replacement otherwise. Cheers!

Most Viewed